Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 09:53 PM   #46  
Lovin' Zumba!

Default Friday's Oprah

Just a heads up - tomorrow on Oprah is a repeat of the show from November featuring extreme makeovers and a woman who lost 200# and had to deal with the excess skin.
Set your VCRs!
Cindy
Old 01-08-2004, 10:55 PM   #47  

Hey Gang! It's late but I said I'd stop by, so. . .

I saw that Oprah, and will probably watch it again. I also saw the Discovery channel programs last Sunday. I'm not talking about skin this week.

I had a good week of eating so far, but Tuesday and Wednesday went down the hole for exercise as I was forced to baby-sit the messageboard I moderate. But I was back on the treadmill today and tomorrow AM is a tri-cardio for sure.

Ilene - I did get to read your PM before the site went down, but now regret not replying immediately. I'm so internet burned-out this week, I can't remember everything you said, so if you want to resend, I look forward.

ledom-I think I had a PM from you too but not sure. Good for you on the hair-cut. I'm beginning to think along those lines too.

HAIR QUESTION! I noticed this past week that my hair seems to be falling out more than usual. I'm consistent about taking my supplements including biotin, and it's growing well. Just noticed more hair on my clothes and around my keyboard. Any suggestions? Anything I can take?

HI JC! Good to see you.

Tidey - how did your semester finish up?

Hi Kathy and Cathy the Gweight. Hang in there on those cravings, CTG, it will pass the longer you can go without.

Hi Mel, Meg, Mrs. J and IN Robin! Hi Mox and Tanya! Looking forward to getting to know you.

Cindy - you didn't answer me - how does it feel, the -50?

Well, I better get off of here and get to bed. I have a job interview tomorrow - at Curves. (I heard that groan!)

Sleep well and talk tomorrow.

dip
Old 01-09-2004, 12:24 AM   #48  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Hi girls!

Work has been keeping me busy lately. But I think the last time I posted it was in regards to the granny aerobics class that I had the misfortune of attending. Oy vey!

Well, I've tried a couple of other classes at my Y. A pilates class (good for the abs but not much else), and a yoga ball class (I wasn't impressed). I'm going to keep trying some of the classes until I find something fun. I just want some heart pounding cardio! (Okay, I know that I won't be getting much cardio out of any yoga-type classes).

I'm still baffled over the calories counts that I've heard. It seems so low.

I'm still fighting this sweet tooth. But I've been doing really well food wise!
Old 01-09-2004, 06:19 AM   #49  
Meg

Default TGIF!

Good morning and a heartfelt “TGIF” to all of you.

Welcome Jen and Tanya -- we’re so glad you’ve joined us!

About Dip’s hair question — I know that losing hair is a common dieter's concern and I’ve heard a lot of speculation about why it happens and what to do about it. I always had that problem after re-joining WW and losing some weight and thought it was inevitable. To my surprise, the year that I was losing this last time, I didn’t lose any hair. I’ve always attributed it to the very high protein levels that I was eating — much more than WW. I know others think that it’s good fats that keeps you from losing hair. Dip, I’m sure that you’re eating a lot of protein and good fats, so maybe it’s something that you just have to put up with for a while.

And Dip — good for you if you get that job at Curves. There’s nothing wrong with helping people get fit in whatever setting that they’re comfortable in. Sure, we know it’s not the best workout and they'll probably outgrow it fast but it beats not doing anything at all, which is what I think most Curves customers would otherwise do. You’d be a tremendous role model and could start some women like we used to be on the road to fitness and health. No groaning here!

Jessica — what calorie counts are baffling you? I’m not sure what you’re referring to?

If anyone’s doing the Discovery Health National Body Challenge tomorrow, I know that one of the goodies they’re promising is a free three-month Ballys membership. I found out yesterday at my gym that there will only be 300 free memberships at my location (one of the two official weigh-in sites in PA). Apparently it’s a Discovery Health decision — my gym only found out about it on Wednesday and they’re panicked because they’re expecting at least 1000 people to weigh-in. I don’t know if this is true at the other locations, but if anyone wants that free gym membership, they’re better plan to weigh in early. I’m still planning to weigh in for the heck of it (obviously I already have the gym membership!).

Chest and cardio today! Oatmeal and salmon on the menu (not simultaneously). It’s going to be a great day!

Meg
Old 01-09-2004, 09:07 AM   #50  

hello all!

no gym yesterday as I somehow bruised the ball of my foot (?) and couldnt walk properly (and overcompensated during the day, so now the outside of my ankle is really sore too) but I ate pretty clean (new recipie for chicken meat balls may be forthcoming in the recipie thread!) and drank lots of water.

Today is leg day, as my foot feels much better. Hopefully I will get in 30-40 mins of cardio as well.

For those interested, I posted a couple good recipies on the recipie thread already. They are from the allrecipies website and I think they are pretty clean to begin with and easily modified to be nearly sqeaky

dip: we dont have the semsester system here, so my course doesnt finish utnil next friday. back to the grindstone and no relief for me!

sounds like YOU are doing well tho! I just looked at your most recent photos on the MSN group and WOW! The difference really is amazing You look so much younger as well!

As for the hair loss, if something very stressful happens to you it can cause hairloss 2-3 months after the actual event. Maybe thats something that could have done it? Otherwise sounds like you're doing right by your body so I cant really help with suggestions

JC, Im glad to see you back! *HUGS*

ledom: dont be so into Chanel that you miss Dior and MAC

well, off for breakfast and then to the gym!

*hugs*
Tidey
Old 01-09-2004, 09:38 AM   #51  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Tidey, don't even get me started. I just broke the bank at Chanel's yesterday. But such fun! The make-up artist spent over an hour w/ me and taught me some neat things. I really needed some help too. It was my makeover day w/ my new face and hair. I also found a coat on sale that I just love. Some good retail therapy.

Dip, I guess I missed your post about Curves. But, I think you'd be great at that. You're supportive and fun and they'd be lucky to have you. Good luck. I have experienced shedding before and never knew what caused it.

Cardio and abs for me today.
Old 01-09-2004, 09:57 AM   #52  

Hi My Buddies!

Real quick, I remember a discussion some time back about the hair loss thing, but couldn't remember the details. Meg, I am getting plenty of protein, however, now that I think about it I haven't been eating as much beef as previosuly, down to once a week from 3. (Since the price of beef went up, thank you low-carbers.) That's the only thing I can pinpoint so far as a change in my eating. Tidey, I am thinking about the stress thing too. The only thing I was stressing about 2-3 months ago was if I could make it through the holidays, without the usual 8-10# gain. There have been no life stresses, you know, the things that really set us off, like a marriage/relationship problem or a death. However, the pre-holiday jitters may have been it. If I ever doubted my resolve, it was then, but I made it through because of my support system - youse guys. <Chicago accent on with love>

I'm not going to comment on the Curves interview until tonight, but that Mz. Meg sees into my soul. I am going to tell this woman why she should hire me, and if she doesn't, her loss. I can sell anything I believe in, and after the now-gone discussion at Buyer Beware, although it's not *my* choice for an exercise program, I can see it as a means to get the gym-a-phobics into a program where they can *learn* to get moving. Afterall, it's about changing bad habits, and support to make those changes. I just hope that the $ is right, but will weigh that against using the experience as a vehicle to go on to better things, like someone here I know. Also, the prospect of wearing gym clothes to work- now how cool is that?

Gotta get my tri-cardio in and get ready, so I'll report back tonite.
Whew! I'm pumped.

Edited for typing too fast and saying HI! to the new ledom. Will PM you later. Retail therapy - woo-hoo, I could use some too!

dip

Last edited by diphthong; 01-09-2004 at 10:01 AM.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:15 AM   #53  

Ah, fabulous Friday!

Meg's comment about salmon and oatmeal, but not at the same meal, reminds me of a funny little story from long ago.

When I was in the midst of counseling for severe food abuses, food panic attacks and binging (not to mention, that pesky little problem of my self-esteem), I was tortured by the notion of "good" food and "bad" food. So this counselor, a very wise woman, said, "Listen, try treating food as food. Next time you go into a restaurant, instead of ordering what you think you "should", order what you want. And remember, there's more food where that came from; you can order something else next time."

Now this was tough advice for my tortured soul, but I decided to take her at her word. My next restaurant meal happened to fall about brunch time, and I really REALLY wanted pancakes. But I kept thinking I should have something better for me, and one option on the menu was tuna salad. (I know, perhaps not a choice I might make today, then was then and now is now.)

Long story short -- I ordered both. Full plate of pancakes and a complete tuna salad plate. I was convinced the waitress thought I was nuts (in truth, she probably could not have cared less ) but it was a major life moment for me. To know that I could order whatever I wanted, have a little bit of both, and then take it home was a revelation.

However, Husband No. 1 was with me at the time. This may have been the beginning of the end.

That was more than 25 years ago. I'd forgotten it, until I saw Meg's comment. Incidentally, it was this same counselor who ordered me -- yep, ordered me -- to go into a bakery and buy a cake, and then helped me to discover that I was completely entitled to do so. And then she had me buy another one. I tell you, these were breakthrough moments.

So Meg, salmon and oatmeal works for me.

Gosh, so many familiar faces ... Hi Tidey, JC, Cindy and Ilene.

Mox, nice to meet you. Sounds like I came along after you left for a while.

Jessica, I'm signing up for a Pilates class on Monday. Doesn't give you that cardio rush, but it's fab for lengthening and strengthening that torso. Keep fighting that sugar demon ... did you see Julie Rydl's post on the sugar monster at Skinny Daily Post? Top notch piece, as usual.

Now Dip, you'd be absolutely terrific at Curves. And who knows, you might sneak a little workout in yourself. And working in that atmosphere would probably keep you in the right state of consciousness, don't you think? Can't beat that.

I'm sorry I haven't seen that Oprah. I'd ask my DH to set up the VCR, but he's all thumbs at the technology.

Gotta run. More lator, gators.
Old 01-09-2004, 10:34 AM   #54  
Not Giving Up

Height: 5'9"

Happy Friday Everyone.

Can't believe that the week went by so fast. I start a new job on Monday and it will be a desk job. So here is my question for all of you. Does anyone notice a difference on how weight loss goes if you exercise in the morning as compared with the afternoon or evening? I think I will probably be able to squeeze cardi in before I go to work, but not the lifting.

Thanks for the tip on Oprah. I will make sure I am home to watch her today.

Have a great day everyone.

Kathy
Old 01-09-2004, 12:37 PM   #55  
Lovin' Zumba!

Yippee! A new recipe from Tidey - I can't wait! I am still so addicted to that pierogie filling recipe - I make it at least every other week!
Cindy
Old 01-09-2004, 12:49 PM   #56  

Yikessss!!!!! A pierogy recipe?? where? where?? I'm a huge lurker on here,, and i just HAD to ask!!! Could someone tell me about them? (the filling -. not the pierogy themselves - i'm ukranian and uhhh.. just KINDA used to making them.. hehehehee) Thankyou to all! You guys are a great bunch!
Old 01-09-2004, 12:51 PM   #57  
Gym'll fix it!!

Hi Ladies,

I saw that Oprah the first time around and gawd that womans body is just awful..long hanging breasts and they do a marvellous job of her

I've had 2 fests this week and 2 days but i guess it balanced out and i'm down 1lb not the way to do it but i'm happy with it i also lifted for the first time yesterday and my shoulders and biceps are telling me today so its just cardio (treadmill) for me today and a blitz of hubbies bathroom
Old 01-09-2004, 12:57 PM   #58  
Lovin' Zumba!

About the 50# thing...

On one level it feels great - this is the first time ever that I've made a commitment to losing weight/being fit and stuck with it this long - nearly two years total. As I've said before, after seeing those pictures from Jan. 2001, I took Metabolife, lost 15# and kept it off for over a year, which in itself was a first. Usually after a few months it would start creeping back on. Then, I found BFL and continued on with my weight loss to this point.

On another level, I kind of don't like to acknowledge that I let myself get that heavy. It was the first time ever that I'd weighed that much, and I hate that I'd do that to myself.

All in all, though, it feels wonderful to be where I am now. I feel great, and people keep telling me I look great. Funny thing I've noticed, when I'm out shopping, is that men seem to notice me more! I guess I never realized that I was invisible, until I stopped being invisible!

I guess for me, it's a bigger deal that I'm in onederland and wearing regular Misses-sized clothing, than the 50# part of it. I feel like I've reclaimed a part of me that was buried for a very long time!
Cindy
Old 01-09-2004, 01:13 PM   #59  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

sunluver - the recipe you asked about is in the Bodybuilding Recipe Stickie at the top of the LWL forum page. It is on page 7 and is titled "New lifesaving recipe", or something like that.
Old 01-09-2004, 01:51 PM   #60  

hello all!!

just got back from the gym, did 25mins biking and then a full legs workout. hooha! I had to hold onto both railings on my way down the stairs afterwards hehe

Lots of new faces at the gym, and I made a point to smile and look encouraging and friendly. If I see them again I will probably introduce myself or something. (swedes are a little bit more reserved than north americans, and get a bit suspicious of strangers speaking to them) One woman I saw for the 1st time today has the "apple" shaped body, with ALL her excess around the middle, but by GOD she had legs I envy! (and just now I realize that I missed doing my calf raises... awww crap! I'll do them tomorrow. *sigh*)

well, off to post the recipie

Tidey
Closed Thread