Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 03-08-2003, 07:23 PM   #151  

Hi Ladies!

Guess what?!?! My graduation announcements just arrived. I'm so excited. And they are so purty.

I'M REALLY GRADUATING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I'm going to stick one inside my daily workout journal to stay totally psyched.
Old 03-09-2003, 03:14 AM   #152  

S/C/G: 206/175/145

Height: 5'4"

Hi!

Susanje -- It is so exciting that you're graduating! You've gone through so much, and accomplished so much, in the last few years.

This was the first week of cycle 3 of Body Rx -- measurements are tomorrow but it will take a few more weeks to see any changes, I think!

Hope everyone is doing great!

Carrie
Old 03-09-2003, 08:02 AM   #153  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Default Susan,

Congratualations!!!!
Old 03-09-2003, 09:23 AM   #154  
Peace with body and soul

Red face Did 45 min. of "cardio" myself yesterday

In the form of Taebo w/a kick/punch bag. That surely takes the stress out. LOL

Today I'm off to my mother's 75th bday lunch, a day of feasting and me trying not to get sucked into eating food that'll make me sorry later on! I must not be swayed by the momentary pleasure of dip and chips and must look foward to the results of NOT eating it!

My menstral cycle has always been exact, I could set my watch by it, 28 days to the minute. So the first time I missed a period I knew it was coming. For the past year I've been missing one, then having 2 in a row, then missing one. Sadly the ones I miss? I STILL have all the pms symptoms and they're stronger than before. I have cramps, backache, headache, tiredness, emotional ups and downs. The worst tho is this sudden inabililty to recall information like I used to..I've always had a computer-like brain to pull out the info needed almost immediately. Now I can muddle and moan and what I'm trying to think of won't show up until much later. Also I'm becoming forgetful and spacey and that's not like me either, plus I LOSE stuff. These senior moments suck!!!

I've found that if I work out 4days in a row, then rest 3, I have better results. The 3 day rest period is giving me ample time to recover and then I'm stronger and can focus more on what I'm doing w/out feeling worn out.

This is a pretty kewl group...Thanks for letting me in!
Old 03-09-2003, 10:03 AM   #155  

Thank you!

Mindi, I love Tae Bo and have been thinking of restarting it this week for bootcamp. Cardio is my nemesis but I love Tae Bo (even though it kicks my butt or BECAUSE it kicks my butt in a fun way !) I know where one of my tapes is and I bought a few different sets. I think I will find them dust them off this week. Thanks for the reminder...........it's kewl to have you here!
Old 03-09-2003, 10:17 AM   #156  

Well, I gotta "confess" I missed my LBWO yesterday and didnt eat 100% clean BUT (!) my cheats were only some sugar free dark chocolate, a couple crackers, and a handfull of popcorn. I got up today and went to the gym and had a killer LBWO! Im all shakey leg'd lol!

I am also eating semi-clean today compared to past freedays. Mostly fruit and no chips etc.

Progress!
Tidey
Old 03-09-2003, 10:41 AM   #157  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs down Well you have all been chatty this weekend!

I got a lot of posts to catch up on now...

My riding lesson was SUPER yesterday. Dee Dee had most of the show string in Reno for another show, so it was pretty quiet. I am EXTREMELY angry and upset though...lemme tell ya what's up.

I don't know if you remember way back in November/December, Dee had asked if I was interested in part-leasing "Norman", who is a beautiful 8-year-old dapple-grey purebred Arabian gelding. The day I was going to try him out to see if I could ride him (he's more advanced than the horses I usually ride - which is not necessarily a bad thing because a challenge will make me a better rider) the girl who owns him (a high-school student - her wealthy parents actually bought him for her and paid his bills) showed up for the first time in weeks and cried and made a big scene when Norman was being lunged (to kind of warm him up and get some of the 'ya-yas' out of him - he is still a young horse and has lots of energy) before I was going to saddle him up and test ride him. At that point, I told Dee to forget it for now - I didn't want to go through a scene every time I came by to ride him. The girl's parents wanted to part-lease him to help pay some of his bills, and also he needed the exercise and attention.

Well...yesterday I noticed all the show horses were gone - except for three including Norman. When I asked about him - he has won blue ribbons in halter and Western classes - Sara and Jordan (two of Dee's assistants) told me that his owner has basically ABANDONED Norman. His board and training bills have not been paid since December, and their checks for the Grand Nationals in October and Scottsdale in February BOUNCED - putting Dee Dee in a very embarassing position indeed. They will not return Dee's calls. Meanwhile the stable owner is getting ready to put a lien on Norman, which legally is his right. However, the owner has to sign off on his registration papers for him to be sold as a purebred Arabian - he can be sold without papers, but then he can't be shown in Arabian shows.

Meanwhile Dee Dee has five new owners wanting to take Norman's stall with their horses for her to train, so she's losing money (and she is not a rich woman by any means).

Norman is obviously very lonely - the girls aren't neglecting him but they have a lot of other horses and chores. They lunge him and try to make time to ride him a little bit each day. But it's clear he misses his owner. I am INCREDIBLY PISSED OFF ABOUT THIS!! I just wish I could buy Norman, but keeping horses in the Bay Area is an expensive prospect indeed. Jim and I are going to drive up there today and spend some time with the poor guy. It really makes me mad - the girl has treated him like a Barbie doll - she doesn't want anyone else to ride him but she doesn't want to spend the time with him herself. Part of what makes me so upset is that if I was her age and my parents bought ME a horse - not even a purebred Arabian show horse, ANY horse at all - they would have had to physically tear me away from the stables because I would have been there every day! In fact, most of the kids who own horses at Kramer Training ARE there every day - riding their horses, taking them out to graze, grooming them, walking them around and just spending time with them. Horses are sociable herd animals and most crave attention and love...so we're going out today with a bag of carrots and apples, give him a little grooming, and with permission we'll take him on a walk around the grounds and let him graze a bit - the spring grass is out and really lush right now.

Sorry about this long offtopic post. My panties are really in a bunch about this whole sad mess, and I know we're all animal lovers here...

More later - off to the gym now...
Old 03-09-2003, 10:44 AM   #158  
Hot Sauce!

Talking Cardio!

Wow. I almost feel out of my chair when I saw Laura posting about a cardio session! Twice a week too! Now Mindi is doing it.... am I the only one left in the non-cardio world?
Just kidding ladies. I actually can start to get back into my yoga and tae-bo again because my shoulder is doing much better. I haven't had a flare up in over a week and I am pushing a little more weight and feeling pretty good. My main problem is tricep exercises, I have to use machines for my triceps. Everytime I do free weight tricep exercises I get a flare up that lasts a week. Grrrrrrr!

Laura, I received your care package in the mail and those little bunnies are evil! One thing though, they are very sweet and I can only eat a few, so no huge damage will be done. In fact, I am taking them to my dad's house today for my sister to try, she is a dark choc/PB freak also and will love them. Thanks so much! Bill (my fiance) thanks you also...he loves them!

Alright, onto this 7 week bootcamp. I plan on lifting weights 4 times a week, doing yoga/pilates once a week and resting 2 days a week. I will be incorporating Schwarzbein Principle eating into my plan and this is how I plan to lose my sugar addiction. My lifting will be 3 weeks heavy (4-6 reps each set)and 1 week light (12-15 reps each set). We shall see how this goes. I guess I will open up a journal and put all of this plus my goals into there.

Ummmm, I am having my free meal today: my dad's homemade enchiladas! Oh, they are to die for!
Have a great day ladies, I just have to say I love the atmosphere of this site! Thanks for letting me be a part of it!
Jamie
Old 03-09-2003, 12:13 PM   #159  

Free day crusyness.

Augh. So I wait every sunday for dinner. I look forward to it. I love dinner. Meat, potatoes, gravy! Oh heaven! Usually we order out steak dinners but this week my MIL wants to make food for everyone. Okey dokey. We sit down and its......stew.

Stew, that i can make and eat any day of the week. Except that she bought the cheapest meat she could find, used canned veggies (um, EW!), and made a salad with 1/2 rotton lettuce (not kidding. It was all brown and melty)

Right. So I try to be a sport and eat it. And promptly chomp down on a peice of "meat" that is actually meat-coloured gristle. I tried a mushroom and discover that they are the cheapest canned kind that taste odd. Pass on those as well. Carrots! no one can ruin carrots. Oops! I was wrong. They taste like the mushrooms. End meal. No way am I eating that. Its one thing to eat un-clean, but to eat un-clean and not even enjoy it? Like bloody ****!

Im going to make myself a REAL meal in a few hours, thanks very much. Just as soon as the gristle induced nausea passes.

I dont think she did it on purpose, but she KNOWS I can't eat meat that has fat/gristle in it because it makes me sick (literally. Ive puked in the past) and that I cant eat canned veg. either. Either way I feel like someone has rained on my freeday parade.

But now its moving on! Straight to the ceaser salad I have waiting for me in the fridge! Make way!

Sorry so grumpy, but I just had to vent lol.

Tidey
Old 03-09-2003, 12:13 PM   #160  

Jamie- glad you liked the Smidgens! Just remember, there *is* a website of you need more!

www.gertrudehawk.com

Anyone else amused at how many thread views we've had this week?

And Erik, if you have somehow made it through all of our menopause posts, I hope you still post your promised reply to Karen; I thought she made excellent points and I welcome your input.

No gym today, just clean eating. Gotta go finish cleaning my house, which is what I do instead of church.

Laura
Old 03-09-2003, 12:20 PM   #161  

Karen, your story about Norman made me very sad. Some people.............

Jeez.

I'm glad you will be spending time with the poor boy. Good for you.
Old 03-09-2003, 12:59 PM   #162  
Meg

Good morning, all! I’m back from the gym. I was just planning on doing cardio this morning — wanted to do a half-hour of intervals on the treadmill, but when I got there at 8:20 AM, they were all signed up for until 10:00, and there was no way I was waiting that long. Unfortunately the gym doesn’t open until 8 on Saturdays and Sundays and recently it has been packed in the mornings. Perhaps people are thinking about swimsuit and tank top weather? I wish I had a 24 Hour Fitness, but there’s none around here. So I did my 30 minutes on the elliptical and may go back this afternoon for the treadmill. The gym empties out later in the day on weekends, but the best time to be there is when the Steelers are playing because then nobody is there!

Yesterday I did an arm workout that a friend told me about: supersets of DB curls and skull crushers, supersets of preacher curls and overhead extensions, and supersets of cable curls and pushdowns. It only took 35 minutes to do 18 sets, and for dessert I did abs. Fun, and I can feel it today. Tomorrow I start the week with shoulders. I partially tore my right bicep tendon last summer (thank goodness it was only partial) and I am still working to get that side back up to strength. Protect your shoulders, ladies, they are delicate!

Tidey — I’ve discovered that I want the best quality food possible since I’m so careful about the amount and the type of things that I eat. So I understand what you mean about the stew …. bleech! Every meal has to taste good or else I get too tempted by all the other stuff in my house (for the others in the family). I spent yesterday cooking for myself and have in the freezer (all portioned and wrapped); grilled salmon, chicken breasts, teriyaki chicken breasts, beef tenderloin, and extra-lean ground beef patties. I also made brown rice, protein bars, pumpkin custard (my version of a crustless pumpkin pie, made with egg whites and Splenda and cottage cheese), and washed a big bag of lettuce. I’ve got my apples and veggies and am set for the week! I know myself and if I don’t plan and prepare, I am in big trouble. I even plan the next day’s meals on Fitday the night before and post them on the frig — isn’t that too anal for words?

Karen — let us know about your Norman visit. It’s really too bad that you can’t rescue him. Is there any way that you could get a consortium of people to buy him together? Do folks do that with horses? And how did the big audition go? I like reading about MrJim and his music because my son (17) is an avid guitar player. Fortunately he wants to be a sound engineer, with guitar as his avocation rather than vocation, because it is a tough way to make a living. His bedroom is a sound studio, drum set and all. I’ll bet you all envy me — all the local high school bands come to my house to record! And they are ALWAYS hungry — but they are great kids.

Have a great day, all, and I love coming home and reading all the new posts.

Meg
Old 03-09-2003, 01:04 PM   #163  
Banned

Default New to 3FC, but not the lifestyle!

Mindi told me about 3FC and I had to check it out! I like what I see here; great support, fun & several familiar faces. Mel & Karen, you're favorites of mine from L&S! I'd love to join you! After all, you need more dog-people here! I don't have any pets, but I'm Aunt Deb to a friend's dogs-I house/dog-sit for her during the summer. It's great to be among like-minded (and bodied) people! I like that everyone does things a little differently & I'm looking forward to sharing & learning things that may help me!

A bit about me:

My "journey" began in July, 2000 with Protein Power at 282.5 lbs. I had dieted most of my life and was convinced that if this didn't work I would be obese for the rest of my life and end up with weight-related physical problems. Perhaps fear of that is what made me such a good LCer. One year and 83 lbs lighter, I began my first BFL Challenge. I did BRx with great results last year, & I'm now exactly halfway through BRx a second time. Tomorrow is day 1 of Cycle 3, the 6 week fat-burning cycle. High protein/fiber & no RED foods (free day food) at all. In BFL-talk, it's the start of Challenge 8. I think it's perfect timing for Bootcamp!

My weightloss totals 127 lbs., though I had a rebound after calorie cycling last fall that has yet to disappear. After decades of being obese followed by major weight loss, I find myself with very big skin issues at the age of 48. I haven't posted pics online, but if you visualize a muscular California Raison (remember them?) you've got a pretty good idea what I look like! I am also periomenopausal (not a lot of noticable-to me-side-effects) but I have an attitude-I feel that even thinking it may slow my results might make me expect less from myself so I won't go there. I've got tendonitis in both elbows & shoulders, so I'm down to legs only in the weight room. I may not being increasing muscles in my upper body, but I'm going to have awesome legs one of these days! LOL! I'm really going to be strange-looking then! I guess I'm forced to be the BRx cardio bunny. I love bicyling and my newest passion is spinning! I'm still trying to figure out the best amount of cardio to add.

Mel, I read the CPB thread and you've got my support. I'm so sorry about the hate mail-the whole mess. I won't add more now; enough has been said.

Mindi, I wish you had told me about 3FC during a slow week!

I'm looking forward to getting to know you all! Now to go and get busy. Today's workout: laundry & legs!

Deb

Last edited by DiamondDeb; 03-09-2003 at 01:09 PM.
Old 03-09-2003, 01:42 PM   #164  
Uber-Moderator!!

Default Quick post...

just waiting for Jim to get dressed so we can go to Woodside...we tend to take it pretty easy on Sunday.

OH and BTW his audition went really well - after he did the audition songs (just as we thought - they threw in "Zoot Suit Riot" as an extra ability test) they all jammed on a few more songs (none of the other bassists did). Jim really likes these guys. The band is called "Souled Out" (from the title of a Tower of Power tune) and they have a TON of lucrative and fun dates - weddings, farmers markets, festivals, private parties, etc. We looked at their 2002 schedule and they had some great dates like the Gilroy Garlic Festival which is HUGE, Paramount's Great America for the Walk N'Wag benefit, the Haight-Ashbury Street Fair...etc. Jim has a good feeling, and we're waiting to hear back.

Isn't it great to see so many new faces and read new posts! Gotta love it. Welcome to Deb and Rich and Jamie and Meg and everyone else. Ya know we have TWO attorneys at least now - with Meg and now SUSANJE!! You go girl!!!

PA is that big?? Can't you gals all move to Rhode Island or somewhere like that??

I wish I could find a group of folks to buy Norman with...the other three horses (I forgot one, oops!) who didn't go to the Reno show this weekend stayed for different reasons. One of them is a Quarter Horse (Stormy) so he wouldn't be eligible for an Arabian show. The other two (Billy and Inspired) were at Scottsdale for the entire show, they might have needed a rest or maybe the owners just couldn't afford to ship and show so soon after Scottsdale - showing is expensive anyway - and Scottsdale is one of the top two shows in the US for Arabians.

Incidentally, most of the owners part-lease their horses out to others - the way I wanted to do with Norman late last year. I would pay $300 a month, and be able to ride him and the price would include a lesson each week, with the option to ride him in a show if I wanted...considering how expensive our stable is to board at (Jordan told me that Norman's bills are $1000+ a month before shows - full board, training, etc.) if I owned a horse I would definitely have at least one person leasing him/her, just to help pay the bills!

Okay, so today I have to put in my Boot Camp goals. I will definitely get that done today!!

Hey - what do you guys think of having Suzanne change our forum name? Meg and I were talking about that via email. The thing is, a lot of us started on BFL and some of us are still doing it, but the majority of us are on different plans centered around bodybuilding/weight lifting. I'm tempted to just ask Suzanne to call the forum "Bodybuilding/Weight Training" but maybe the term "Bodybuilding" is a bit hardcore for gals who haven't been exposed to it other than the general media? Whaddya think?

Let me know...right now it is gorgeous outside and I'm gonna get Jim out of this house!! It's time for Kitties' 8 Hour Nap!
Old 03-09-2003, 02:41 PM   #165  

Smile whooo hoooo !!!

i LOVE the action that we have going on here lately!! sure is good to see all the new faces too

Karen - that breaks my heart to hear about Norman being treated like that by the owner. i hope you and Jim have a wonderful day with him !!

Deb !!!--- WOW !! what an inspiration you are! way to go and keep it up woman ! it'll be great getting to know you too. hope to see you around quite a lot.

Meg -- that workout sounds wonderful !! i'll be sure to ask you about it next time i change up my workout. can you please come cook for me? i work from home so i do have time to make all my meals, but sometimes i'd just love someone to take care of me for a few days

Tidey -- what's with your MIL? that's a really strange meal that she cooked up there you're right to want only tasty food for that special free meal !!

Susan -- congratulations !!! what an awesome accomplishment !! i'm sooooo happy for you

Mindi -- i'm dying to start Taebo! good for you that you found a fun way to do your cardio. i'm a cardio nut so it'll probably fit in just wonderfully for me.

uuuggghhhh -- i'm going crazy here with some kind of strange hormonal problems these last few days. don't even get near me or i'll bite someone's head off . i'm hoping that getting back into some serious exercising will help it again. i'm hoping beyond hope!! why do we have to go through this nonsense ????????

i went to a spinning class today. it was sooo much fun. i went about 1/2 hour early so i could get my heart rate up before we started. good thing i did because we had a new group of people who started a 12 week program today at the gym and the instructor had to spend some time with them. the class was a bit slower than usual since they are all new, but that's the beauty of spinning, it's so easy to up the intensity at any time. i worked a lot on my own, just following the beat of the music and pushing my own limits with the resistance.

i worked on my 2x3 Week Boot Camp today, writing it out, planning the meals, workouts, rests, etc. it's fun getting back into it all again. i had taken a few months *off*, in a way, which i'm glad i did because i learned a whole lot more these past few months, and i was able to maintain the weight loss too, some weeks even loosing a bit more. of course, i wasn't completely off that whole time, as you all know. i just took it a bit easier than during my first challenge and now i'm physically and mentally ready to give it another tough push!!

i'm in no particular hurry to get rid of all this fat either. i want to keep getting healthier, keep upping my energy levels and keep building muscle. i figure that if i keep doing it right the fat [B]will/B] come off, little by little.

i'm now going to start my journal here so that tomorrow morning all i have to do is get myself to the gym

take care everyone,

adriana
Closed Thread