Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 03-07-2003, 10:32 AM   #1  

Default myoplex supplements

two days ago, i decided to try one of the myoplex bars- the low carb protein bars in cookies and cream. it was not bad, highly palatable. however, it was kind of pricey and more disturbingly, it had some 'hidden' carbs? the listed fat, protein and carb grams were shy of the total calories and there was a disclaimer about how only impact carbs were listed...

i was kind of lost.
was i eating a bar with 3 grams of carbs or 18 grams of carbs?
and since we're on the topic, can anyone recommend good protein supplements with little/no carbs? especially something to be eaten on the go.

Thanks!
Old 03-07-2003, 10:46 AM   #2  

Cool Ick - bars

I'd drop the bars, personally. The protein in them is not a quality protein at all. How about a protein shake? I have a shaker cup at work that I use to shake it up. Great if you need something quick (or when I'm working so hard that I can't justify taking a 10-minute meal break!) ;-)
Old 03-07-2003, 10:49 AM   #3  
Meg

Good question about "impact carbs" -- I've wondered the same thing with Pure Protein bars 'cause I'm always watching carbs. If I do eat them in a pinch, I count all the carbs, but that's just me.

I finally decided to scrap them becasue they don't really fill me up anyway. I love the low-carb Grow! protein powder and use it to make homemade protein bars that are good to keep in your purse for on the go (but not for long -- keep them refrigerated otherwise). If you're interested, I'll post the recipe in the recipe section (even though it's not a BFL recipe because I tweaked it to get rid of some of the sugar carbs from the NF dry milk).

Meg
Old 03-07-2003, 10:59 AM   #4  

shakes are a possibility as well, just wondering if they have any hidden carbs too?

and meg, wow, homemade protein bars? they sound nutritious and... fun! it'd be great if we could all get the secret. thanks!
Old 03-07-2003, 11:26 AM   #5  
Meg

Default Protein Bars

I posted a recipe for Protein Bars in the recipe thread.

Meg
Old 03-07-2003, 11:01 PM   #6  

thanks a lot!
tried it today... good stuff!
you know what's going in it and it's far more economical too.
i made mine with unprocessed bran instead of oatmeal though because that's what i had in the house... think it affected the taste much? also, do you think that using honey might change it radically? or would it just be an issue of sugar levels?
Old 03-08-2003, 09:41 AM   #7  
Meg

Hi Lore! The great thing about this recipe is that you can tweak it to suit whatever your individual needs and tastes are -- and what you have in the house! I've successfully substituted oat bran for the oatmeal, though I like the taste better with oatmeal. Honey would probably make them hold together better and give a nice texture, so if it is on your eating plan, give it a try! I'm trying to avoid ALL sugar as much as possible, even milk sugar (lactose) (though I know there's dry milk in the recipe), so I wouldn't choose honey. Same reason I don't use dried fruit, though they are good with raisins or dried cherries.
Closed Thread