Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2003, 06:26 PM   #46  
Mel

Default Hi Everyone

Just got back from watching games in a heavy downpour. Two delays of games due to lightening bolts, and they finally shortened the tournament. My poor dd spent 1/2 the time in the locker room trying to get circulation back in her feet. She has Reynaud's syndrome, which causes her to get frostbite symptoms at around 40 degrees, especially if it's wet. What a day. No I just have my nephew's 2nd b'day party tomorrow, and I can finally relax and go back to my weekly routine.

Valerie: Food and workout timing questions will get you different answers from different people. I do cardio (usually first thing in the am on an empty stomach, or 1 1/2-2 hours after a meal. I can't lift without eating or I pass out or get really dangerous in the gym, so I eat a regular meal, then wait about an hour before lifting. I know the book says empty stomach workouts are best for fat loss, but there was no way it was going to work for me.

Mamawren: Hang in there- I didn't really see any results in C1 until about week 10. But I had already been lfting and eating pretty clean for a few months before I found BFL. I know a lot of people see their best results late in the challenge. It's not unusual to actually get bigger at first, then get leaner towards the end of the 12 weeks. Remember, your are building muscle pretty quickly at first, and if you have fat to lose, it may not be leaving as fast as the muscle is building. Don't get discouraged, the trend WILL reverse.

Beth0: Sounds like you and dh are doing well. I take glutamine every day- even rest day if I remember. I think it really boost the immune system from what I've read, as well as helps with sore muscles.

Adrianna- What is the interaction of glutamine with antidepressants? I haven't come across anything that contraindicates it. Let me know, because some of my fibromyalgia meds are actually antidepressants. Hate to think one was "cancelling" out the other!

Hi Karen, Ledom. JC- where are you?

mel
Old 02-22-2003, 10:52 PM   #47  
JEC
Aussie and proud

I am here - barely.... I have been so busy this week at work and personally that I haven't had time to breathe let alone post! I am flying to queensland on Tuesday for 2 days so unfortunately I won't be around much over the next few days either. Sorry about this guys!

I hope everyone is going well.

JC
Old 02-23-2003, 09:43 AM   #48  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Default Hey guys,

JC, glad you could check in even if just for a sec. Have a good trip.

Mel, I hope you have scheduled a nap into your Sun. afternoon - it sounds like you deserve one!

On working out first thing. That is what works for me because if I wait I might not get around to it. I think it is pretty common for a lot of BFLers to do workouts in the afternoon though, probably 1 1/2 to 2 hrs. after eating.

For those of you worrying that you don't get sore enough after a workout and wonder if you are working hard enough - I don't get that sore except after initially introducing a new exercise into my routine and then for just the first 2 days after the first time I do the exercise. I think we are just made different that way, some folks experience more muscle soreness than others.

I am coming off a busy week and won't really get to surface for air until after Tuesday. I am even going into work today, soon as I get some computer time in. I am a gallery director at my university and about once a month I hang a new show and host a reception. This is a time when my bodybuilding really pays off as there is a lot of lifting of large objects involved. Anyway, it's fun but tiring.

I am pleased with my past week performance on BFL and am shooting for another good week! You all take care.
Old 02-23-2003, 09:52 AM   #49  

Thumbs down hiya everyone !!

what a fabulous day so far. i hope you're all having a good sunday also.

JEC - sooo good to see you !! i miss you around here. i guess we'll just have to be patient till we get you back, huh?

Mel - the glutamine gives me horrible headaches and i have to be super careful because they are hormone-induced headaches. that means that the glutamine, in a higher does, is messing a bit with my already messed up hormonal system. as long as i keep it at the low 5grams per say, then i'm okay. it's really working wonders on my post-workout recovery.

Mamawren - Mel is right ! don't give up or let this get you down. i was flabby for the past two weeks, i mean kind of like i was at the beginning of C1 almost 6 months ago. but i just kept working through it, doing weights even harder and i can see such a difference today ! it all seemed to just tighten up a LOT ! now, don't get me wrong, i'm still big, but that strange squishy feeling is gone, for now.

BethO - you and DH just keep moving forward !!!!!

Shelby - i hope that your son is much better. poor kid. i hear ya on the leap across rooms to save the floor from damnation when they barf like that !!! yuck !!

Valerie - i don't do much of anything in life before i have a good solid breakfast. i would become totally homicidal if i were to go workout on an empty stomach. i actually workout after two meals have been properly prepared and consumed (i wait one hour after meal #2 before hitting the gym though). and then i eat about 1/2 hour after my workout - 1 hour after spinning. you;ll just have to keep experimenting and see what works best for you. good luck oh, by the way, i've had great results till now with my *method*.

Lana - how's it going sweetie ?? hope all is well with you and the beautiful family !!

Karen - what's up Fearless Leader? i miss you a whole bunch !!!

i had a great UBWO today. i even did some *assisted* push-ups at the end of the w/o. i placed the bar on the Smith machine about 2 feet up from the floor and did 25 push-ups from there. the last 5 almost killed me ! but i'm soooo glad i did it. i want to work my way up to 10 regular push-ups, just like the big kids do

i then did 10 minutes on that pesky stairstepper. it looks so innocent, doesn't it?

tonight is SPINNING and we all know how happy that makes this gym rat.

have a great day everyone.

take care,

adriana
Old 02-23-2003, 09:55 AM   #50  

Ledom !!

so good to see you !

wow ! i love your position at the university. have fun and good luck this week with all your busy-ness.

i'm also glad to hear that BFL has been good to you this past week. way to go !!

have a great week!

adriana
Old 02-23-2003, 05:24 PM   #51  
NASCAR Chick

S/C/G: 181/177.6/???/124

Height: 5'4"

Default Another Newbie

I have been lurking around this forum for a couple of weeks and wanted to thank everyone for all the help I've received. I am starting my first BFL challenge tomorrow and am so excited to be taking this step towards improving my health.

A bit about me - I am 26 years old and live in Calgary, Alberta, Canada. I have struggled with weight issues almost all of my life, but only recently realized that building muscle is the "secret ingredient" that has been missing from my life. I am a lifetime Weight Watchers (WW) member although, even at my goal weight am considered overweight and have a BF% of over 35!

I truly believe that building muscle and becoming stronger is going to be beneficial to my well-being. I am a little scared of starting since the BFL book is quite vague in many areas. I have no idea what weight I should be using to start, but I guess it is a learning experience.

I have accumulated some receipe ideas to ensure I eat "authorized", but will be eating pretty plain this week to ensure I only eat "authorized" foods. I'm not a fan of cottage cheese, but know I WILL learn to love it! I will have to try some of the ideas I've received here to get rid of the taste!

One question. I bought UDOs, but am not sure how much I should be using - is it 1 tbsp. a day? The only supplements I have bought are L-Glutamine and 100% Whey Protein Powder (I hope I did OK!). I don't want to use much for supplements, but know I will have problems eating all the protein required as I am generally a carb girl! As well, I have the WW eating mindset so ingrained that it will take some time to change!

I hope to get to know all of you better - you are already role models to me! I think this is going to be the hardest 12 weeks of my life - although, I hope, the most rewarding!
Closed Thread