Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 07:03 AM   #31  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Good morning everyone. It sounds like the stomach crud has been going around. It can sure lay you low. I am happy to report that I am back in the groove. I have had good workouts and good diet all week. I am feeling so much better about myself than this time last week. I know I am not going to have much scale loss for C2, but I do think I have results. I am feeling another shift in my body composition, both in terms of strength and appearance. Also, there are 4 more weeks left so who know what will happen to that stubborn, stubborn scale. I am really noticing a difference in my hams and quads, enough so that I have had to stop and take a second look at how nicely shaped my butt is starting to look. Waist, well that is another story. This has to be an age related thing too because I am a pear shape.

Did anyone by chance see Christine Lahti in "Open House" last Sun. night. She is SO slender, but also muscular. I think she might be my role model.
Old 02-21-2003, 07:30 AM   #32  
Ilene the Bean

Hi girls,

Ledom, I hear you so well on the "stubborn scale"!!! This morning I felt so good that I WEIGHED myself.... "I" don't even listen to myself when I say "Throw the scale, fa', fa', fa', away!!" I have no idea if I gained or stayed the same because I got on 4 times and each time it gave me a different .... ....readng . It really brought me down, because I FELT AWESOME! I then I saw myself in a different light, arghhhh, I was so annoyed... I saw my butt bigger, even though yesterday I thought, like you Ledom it looked really good... after the weigh-in I saw a zillion cellulite holes.... Well I'm NOT doing that again I promise...

So if I do girls, shoot me!!

Ok enough babblin' it's too early...

Later...
Old 02-21-2003, 07:33 AM   #33  
Ilene the Bean

Oh! BTW I made that chicken recipe last nite.... very very yummy and easy....
Old 02-21-2003, 07:56 AM   #34  
Mel

Default Hello!

Boy I hear ya on the scale! Nothing makes me feelworse than getting on it! It's been the cause of more tears, bad days and cheats than I care to remember. Unfortunately, right now the pants-o-meter agrees with it.

I'm taking the day off work and trying to figure out when to get in a workout- I've got 45 people coming for dinner and it's coing to be a real juggling act to get everything ready and shuffled through the oven. DD's lacrosse team, plus coaches, some parent and a few misc. people. I have done this dinner for 3 years now when they play a tournament in Philadelphia. It's fun, but WOW- what a lot of (unauthorized) food! Cooked Some last night, will start again after I walk the pooch.

Then need to get in a back workout somehow, and a little cardio.

have a great day,
mel
Old 02-21-2003, 08:13 AM   #35  
Ilene the Bean

Your party sounds like fun and yummy too....

Have fun...

Lana
Old 02-21-2003, 10:15 AM   #36  
Soon to be Sex Symbol!

Good morning ladies,

Well, I'm into D5W1C1 and everything is going fine so far. I had a great UBWO today. My arms feel like jello! LOL

I find this way of eating alot better than counting calories and much easier too.

Sunday is going to be my free day. For the most part anyways. Just might have a free breakfast/brunch.

The sun is shining here today. For a change. Can't wait till the warm weather is upon us here! I so hate winter! LOL

Off to soak in the tub.
Have a great day girls.

~Kelly~
Old 02-21-2003, 11:08 AM   #37  
Ilene the Bean

Kelly I saw your profile on L&S , gosh what a cute little thing you are!!
Old 02-21-2003, 02:31 PM   #38  
Soon to be Sex Symbol!

Ahhh shucks Lana.......you're makin me blush! LOL
Old 02-22-2003, 12:47 AM   #39  
Uber-Moderator!!

OMG Ledom!! Is there anyone who HASN'T gotten The Bug in the past few weeks? Does this remind you of "the Stand" by Stephen King or what?!? At least people aren't dying in droves. That is actually the only S. King book I have read except for (now that I think about it) "Carrie".

Kelly - love your screen name - kind of reminds me of Van Halen, er Van Hagar that is Sammy's a good guy - so's Michael Anthony - hubby Jim grew up down the street from the Anthony family and actually owned one of Michael's studio basses for awhile but sold it 'cos he wanted a different sound. He used to go for the hard-rock sound - now he's into the smooth Motown/James Jamerson sound. but I digress as usual!

Jill - I HATE working out in hotel gyms, just because I'm spoiled rotten and accustomed to my good ol' 24 Hour Fitness! Not that there haven't been some good ones though. The Omni Hotel will actually install a treadmill or elliptical trainer, along with some resistance bands, in your room at no charge (well, maybe it was free for me, since I was staying in a suite at the time - gotta love business travel!). The best hotel gym so far for me was the Mandarin Oriental in Miami - it has a beautiful view overlooking Biscayne Bay. I was rather disappointed in the Waldorf-Astoria - you have to pay EXTRA to use the faciliies and it was all cramped and the equipment was old and rusty too (at least the weights were). In Las Vegas, if you wanna work out, check into the Luxor which I believe is the only hotel on the Strip with a 24-hour gym (at least it was at the time). Now I'm not rich by any means - except for the Luxor this has all been business travel.

Mel - hope you survived your dinner. I know *I* couldn't have done it. My sister is The Entertainer in the family, not I. This weekend is my nephew's 7th birthday - they're taking a bunch of his friends to LazerTag. She learned a long time ago to do the kids' birthdays away from home - saves her a huge mess to clean up. A few years ago, she rented a deluxe suite at the local Embassy Suites for my niece's birthday party - the kids had a very messy dinner in the fun restaurant there, then went night swimming in the indoor pool and watched pay-per-view movies on the huge TV. She had a ton of hotel points, so it didn't cost her much out of pocket (of course she tipped the restaurant staff big time!)

I'm actually babysitting right now - gotta get back to my charges before they burn the house down later gals!
Old 02-22-2003, 02:27 AM   #40  

aaahhhh !!! i just inadvertantly closed the browser before i finished my post to you all !!

i'm not going to do it again (write it) but i will wish you all a great Saturday.

we're just fine here, if not a tiny bit water-logged with all this rain.

today is a rest day for me so i'll just be doing laundry and dishes. oh, yay.

take care everyone. make this day count real good.

adriana
Old 02-22-2003, 09:18 AM   #41  
Mel

Default Survived Friday, Sat and Sun to go

Got through the huge dinner- still have enough food to feed about 30 more. It was definitely my free day, though I did get in a short back and bi workout, and cardio.

Today we get to go watch lacrosse games in the pouring rain. With piles of snow on the bleachers and side lines. Jeez, what a parent will do!

I'm already sniffling- can't imagine how I'll be tonight. At least I'll get some extra cardio in by shivering .

Hope everybody's weekend is going well,

mel
Old 02-22-2003, 11:25 AM   #42  

My 10 year old had the flu last weekend. He was running a 104 temp. At least he wasn't barfing. I'm an expert at flying across a room to catch it in my hands befor it hits the carpet and not barfing at the barf! Ahh...motherhood.

So far, the rest of us haven't come down with it. I feel like crap if I have a 99 degree temp!

Wow, Meliris! I coulnd't even imagine cooking for that many people. I have a hard enough time cooking for 4.

Mrs. Jim, I had one kids b-day party at my house and that was it. The rest I had somewhere else. My 7 year old never wanted a birthday party, so I've been lucky. And if I have to go to another party at Peter Piper Pizza again....
Old 02-22-2003, 12:47 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 163/163/149

Height: 5'7"

Hi All -

Sorry to hear so many on this forum are down with the flu...my 95 year old Grandma in Regina was just hospitalized yesterday when she came down with it...she lives with her 90-yr-old sister, they both get their flu shots, but they're so social they're either out and about or have visitors every day so they're exposed to lots of bugs. She'll likely be released tomorrow.

All is well here - my DH and I hit the 4 week marker yesterday, so did scale weight/progress photo update - I'm down about 5 pounds on the scale, but have improved strength 40 - 50% on all my weights. I'm psyched for the next 4 week block! My photo showed quite a bit of difference - definitely less 'thick' than I was a month ago. If the rate of change keeps up, I'll be very happy with my Challenge 1 results.

Both DH and I tried to calculate Body fat % again to compare to those done at the beginning of the challenge, but couldn't remember which calculator we used so were frustrated. Anybody know anything about the whole issue? We're both going with the Pants-o-Meter.

Bought some glutamine at Costco last night - Lana, do you take it every day, or only on weights days?

Got the "Gee, aren't you worried your legs will be big squat-ing all that heavy weight??" from another gym user yesterday - a woman. She was subscribing to the whole 'low weight, high reps' theory of weightlifting. I just smiled, and said "aren't weights wonderful that everyone can use them to get exactly the results they want?" But was tempted to tell her to "concentrate on the muscles and the muscles will take care of the fat". Why are women so bothered about the leg muscle when it's the fat on top of the muscle that makes their legs look 'big'?

Meliris, you're a brave woman. I couldn't even fit that many people into my house, much less have anywhere for them to sit and eat!

Have a great first free day, Kelly! Enjoy! I seem to recall spending my first free day in a Lays potato chip blur....

Mrs. Jim, my husband is spending 2 weeks in March in Southern California - the hotel is the Sheraton Gateway on the LAX airport strip. Any good hotel fitness centers that you know of there? Anyone have any suggestions for what he can pack to eat? Apparently he's miles from any grocery stores, and they're pretty picky about transporting fruit/veg across the Canada/US border.

Have a great weekend everyone - we're painting our son's room this weekend, taking tomorrow off.

BethO
Old 02-22-2003, 01:41 PM   #44  

I'm sorry to hear everyone is down with the flu or battling snow.

I'm at the end of my first 4 weeks. I'm not thrilled with my 'results' as far as before and after pics or scale weight, or measurements.

My weight is the same, my bust is down 3.5", all my other measurements are up.

On the other hand my bras fit the same, and my clothes certainly are not tighter-they actually feel a tad looser.

I'm going to put it down as sloppy measuring even though I 'thought' I was being very careful about it.

On the up side my menustration cycle was easier than it has been in a few years, and my entire family shook off colds in a couple of days-I assume it is from my family eating cleaner.

I'm half bummed out, and half ticked off. I am also determined to see this through the entire 12 weeks and continue to eat clean and do my workouts. I do have an 'inner sense' that I will see some good results at 8 weeks.

I wish everyone here a good weekend.
Old 02-22-2003, 02:30 PM   #45  

I need some advice from all the experts here.

How important is it to work out first thing in the morning (before you eat)? The BFL book addresses this issue in the questions and answers section, but I'm wondering how much of an impact this actually has on progress.

And if you need to eat something before your morning workout, what should it be?

Hope all with the bugs feel better

Thanks!

-- Valerie

Last edited by WebMistress; 02-22-2003 at 02:33 PM.
Closed Thread