Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2003, 07:58 AM   #16  

S/C/G: 163/163/149

Height: 5'7"

Hi All -

Things going well here in TO - did a bit of shovelling yesterday - thought about all of you digging out several inches - then went for a run outside since it was FINALLY warm enough. Felt great to be outside in the fresh air!! Can't wait until spring.

Got a compliment in the gym on Monday - someone mentioned to one of my friends on the staff "That woman's lost some weight". I'm only in the middle of Week 4, but I have to say it feels like I'm really making progress. So all you guys who just started this week - stay with it! Have faith! Put one foot in front of the other and it WILL work!

OI812 - I hear you about the protein shakes. Try cold water, protein powder, some fat free chocolate pudding mix, and maybe a banana if you need extra carbs, and some ice. Stick it all in the blender and it'll be chocolate shake-like. Still not really tasty, but drink it with a straw and it's more palatable.

My DH got me a case of protein bars (Gen Soy) for Valentine's Day, and they're much better. Almost look forward to having one of those every night before bed.

Oh, and don't wait until you get hungry - eat according to the book - every 2 to 3 hours.

Hope everyone has a great day.

BethO
Old 02-19-2003, 08:28 AM   #17  
Ilene the Bean

Hello girls,

Just had a great leg workout....Finished "Hugo's Mass Blast #1", for the second time... I'm going to stick with this routine for 4 weeks and see what happens... I was still sore from doing legs on Sunday, but I did it anyways and it felt good, it seemed to stretch out the kinked muscles... I was taking Glutamine 4/day and still I was sore... I've already made 2 copies of this workout and keep passing it around at the gym.... It's a great workout, for the newbies I found it on Dave Draper's site....

Kelly ~~ To answer your question on glutamine, here is some info I found....

Quote:
Q. What is glutamine?

A. Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in the body. In fact, glutamine accounts for 60% of all free amino acids in the body. Glutamine is vitally important to muscle growth. Glutamine has a super-unique role: it can be utilized by the body as a fuel, used for a new body protein, and to make other important compounds and amino acids.

Q. Why should I use glutamine?

A. If you do not get enough glutamine, your body tears down muscle tissue to supply the rest of the body with glutamine. The good news is that recent studies show that supplemental glutamine prevents muscle breakdown.

Q. How much glutamine do I need to take?

A. Using as little as 5-10 grams of glutamine per day may maintain muscle stores of glutamine and prevent muscle breakdown.

Q. How should I take glutamine?

A. Glutamine powder mixes easily into any liquid. Glutamine can be mixed in water, juice, or a protein shake.

Q. When is the best time to take glutamine?

A. Glutamine can be taken at any time of day. Many people prefer to use glutamine immediately after a workout.

Q. Can I take glutamine with other supplements?

A. Yes. In fact, glutamine complements many other supplements like creatine, protein, and energy drinks. Aside from protein, glutamine is one of the most important supplement you can use!
I'm not a believer of taking stuff for nothing and had read about glutamine for years, and lately I've been reading the great benefits of it even more so I decided to give it a try, and I truly find it helpful in muscle soreness.... Hope this info helps...

Here’s some info from the “Sticky: Articles worth reading!” “Foods That Make You Look Good Nekid …and foods that make you look nasty even while wearin’ a parka!" From the top of this forum, this is only a small excerpt from that article

Quote:
Milk and Yogurt — Milk is a two-faced monster. To some, it’s a cheap source of protein and the ultimate "weight gainer" for bony teenagers. Some old-timers even recommend drinking a gallon of whole milk per day! Suffice it to say, that would leave most of us quite fat. Much of the fat in whole milk falls in the "bad" category. Saturated fat mixed with a high sugar, high-carb food does not a healthy body make.
Also, somewhere around 10 to 20 percent of the population is lactose intolerant, meaning they can’t digest milk sugar. (There are even a few studies that show that non-whites, particularly Asians and blacks, have a much higher rate of lactose intolerance.) This can be helped some by using lactose-free milk and digestive aids. On the other hand, if you have no problems with lactose, skim milk can be a good source of protein. Still, unless you’re an extremely active teenager with the metabolism of a humming bird on ephedrine, we’d limit milk intake.

Yogurt is a better option in our opinion. It has many of the benefits of milk without most of the drawbacks. One of the really cool things about yogurt is the live active cultures it contains. Yep, we’re talking about bacteria, nice friendly bacteria that keep your digestion system running properly. (That’s why yogurt can help with both constipation and diarrhea.)
IMO you really don't need protein drinks, I find they are ALL gagolicious.... real food is better and when I do have protein drinks I gulp them down so fast that I don’t taste them at all… Oh, and maybe try adding a half banana and extra vanilla it thickens it up and is a bit tastier….

Mrs Hoek ~~ Here's the tuna burger recipe:

Mix one can water-packed tuna with egg whites and seasonings; coat with bread crumbs; cook in pan.... It’s sooo simple it's almost ridiculous... For the seasonings I used lemon pepper... I guess any herb or spice that is good with tuna will work... Yesterday I used salmon instead of tuna and I personally preferred tuna...

Ledom ~~ on your restaurant food choice!!…..It is very difficult to do , but the more we do it the better we will get at it… Yes, Ledom I am in a very good mood when I don’t work, maybe I’m lazy but I don’t miss it at all… I just keep busy no matter what, and I have no STRESS!!!

Mel ~~ I’ve been thinking of you and all that snow, I remember quite a few years ago getting so much snow that you couldn’t even shovel it above the snow bank... THAT is just WAY too much snow….

Hi MrsJim, Tideypoo, … and everyone else, if I missed someone I apologize.

Later all….
Old 02-19-2003, 08:31 AM   #18  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Beth O..... We were on at almost the same time.... How are you and Hubby doing with the WOs are you feeling them more, what are you doing differently? You mentionned once that you never had any soreness....

Isn't it great when someone notices!! WOO HOO!!!
Old 02-19-2003, 11:00 AM   #19  

hey ho fellow iron pumpers !!

i'm half crazy today with some kind of stomach flu. i've been going to the bathroom non-stop for almost 24 hours !! yuck. well... that's not quite true, it stopped a bit a few hours ago and i'm feeling a slight bit better now.... work out, but better.

needless to say no gym today. hopefully a good night's sleep will cure everything and i'll be back to normal tomorrow.

glad to hear that everyone is doing so well.

Lana - i love the L-Glutamine. i take only 5mg per day, right after my workout, because of the anti-depressants that i take also. but i know it's working because i'm just not as sore as i used to be and i'm doing much heavier weights than i was before.

take care everyone. see you tomorrow,

adriana
Old 02-19-2003, 11:06 AM   #20  

Good Mornings are the MOTHER of all hamstring exercises (so I found out lol) that are far FAR less stressful on the knees than the machines are.

http://www.stumptuous.com/dorkdiva.html

Good mornings are listed here

I made the terrible mistake of eating a breaded cod filé at my last meal. fat overload despite doing it in the oven and assaulting it with paper towel when it was done. *Barf* I was just so sick of MEAT (And I really hate fish without coating) and these were just in the freezer calling out to me. Never again. Never Never Never.

Anyone have a good recipie for fish (cod) fingers?

I did my 20MAS today on the treadmill because after yesterdays LBWO there is no way I was getting on a bike! I can hardly do stairs and sit down/get up as it is lol

Anyone know if glutamine helps if you take it the day after (ie when you notice you are sore). I can hardly remember to take my multivitamin, and glutamine is SO expensive here I couldnt afford to take even 5g every day *sigh* so if I only take it when I am already sore will it still work?
Tidey
Old 02-19-2003, 01:47 PM   #21  
Ilene the Bean

Hi girls,

Adriana ~ Sorry to hear you're under the weather , I find there is nothing worse than the stomach flu...

Tidey ~ What I've done with cod and chicken is dunk it in a beaten egg then dredge it through some bread crumbs and either pan fry with a bit of Pam or stick it in the oven. It's 100% better than the store bought stuff... and healthier... You can add salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, oregano, basil, to the bread crumbs for different tastes, or I sometimes buy the bread crumbs already flavoured, I buy Italian ....

Toodles....
Old 02-19-2003, 04:13 PM   #22  

Lana,

Thanks! I dont know why my brain didnt make that connection LOL. I'll definately give it a try.

Anyone know if whole wheat flour is weird when it comes to making "fingers" or if I should stick to white (despite it being processed..)

Thanks!
Tidey
Old 02-20-2003, 01:19 AM   #23  

Default hey guys

i'm feeling a whole lot better today, although i wouldn't mind going back to bed for a few hours more.

but alas, i must get tons of things done today. i'm posting early so i can get my committment in writing for the day, as i seem to be a bit lazy with this rainy weather.

first and foremost will be my workout later this morning. it's a legs session YAY !! i just skipped over my UBWO yesterday.... i figure that in the bigger scheme of things one missed UBWO won't kill me.

Lana - thank you sweetie for the well-wishes

Tidey - i think that the whole wheat flour can be used in the exact same way as the white flour. i haven't seen any difference in usage, although i really don't use any kind of flour too much anyway.

All Newbies !! -- welcome, welcome, welcome !! hope you all jump right in and post in this daily thread too ! good to see you here and i'll be real nice getting to know you better

have a great day !

adriana
Old 02-20-2003, 01:22 AM   #24  

Tidey - sorry for not answering the Glutamine question. i know what you mean about the cost !! a bottle of 50 capsules of 500mg cost an arm and a leg here.

sometimes i forget to take it and i miss a day or two, so i just take it when i remember and it seems to help like that too. i'm trying to remember to take it after each workout but i'm a bit ******ed in that way..... after i take my morning meds i completely forget about other stuff. hopefully i won't need antibiotics in the near future !!

i take only 500mg when i do take it. never more than that in one day because of the antidepressants i take.

good luck,
adriana
Old 02-20-2003, 07:32 AM   #25  

S/C/G: 163/163/149

Height: 5'7"

Hi All -

Hmmm...all this discussion about Glutamine makes me want to make the leap...I saw it at Costco the other day, they even had an info sheet on it which sounded interesting. I'll do a bit of online research and tell you all if I find out anything new.

Yes, Lana, starting to feel a little more soreness the day after a WO - I'm doing the same workout pattern for four weeks, then will switch all exercises for the next four weeks, then switch again for the last four. I tend to be a creature of habit, but I think it'll 'wake up' my muscles again. I'm definitely hitting 10's these days - was checking my BFL Success Journal last night and starting out doing bicep curls max 12 lbs. and am now at 8 kg - 50% more.

That's why I'm interested in the glutamine.

Lana, thanks for posting the tuna burgers recipe - I may try that for dinner tonight, looks good. I need to try out some new recipes.

This weekend we're doing a bunch of painting in the house, so even though we took our Free Day last Saturday, we're taking our next one on Sunday, so we will have 7 solid BFL days in a row - I'd better get some new things to try so we're not bored.

Friday we're doing a weight/measurements/photos update - first four weeks progress report!

Today is cardio day, so I'll get outside again for a run - it looks like a beautiful morning here today, the sun is already up and out so hopefully the roads will be clear and dry.

Tidey, don't you love Krista Smash's website? I'll have to look up those Good Mornings - I'm switching things around next week so am open to suggestions.

Have a great day, all!

BethO
Old 02-20-2003, 07:56 AM   #26  
Ilene the Bean

Good morning girls!!

I had a decent workout this AM I did chest... It was disappointing tho, I didn't hit 10's !! So that's bugging me... I have to find something new for next week...

Hey guess what ? I finally did it... I drank a GALLON of water yesterday!! I'm quite proud of myself because I'm not good in the water dept... It's was something that I had to think of constantly tho.

Just FYI:
1 gallon = 16 cups = 4 litres

One thing that I noticed this morning is that it's getting brighter out when I leave the gym... I'm really looking forward to biking again and spring!!

BethO ~ I've been finding some really good workouts on Dave Drapers site lately, specially that Hugo's Mass Leg WO, and the Muscle & Fitness March issue has some good ideas too.... I too love Krista's web site, she's hillarious...I am not a creature of habit in the exercise dept, so I change up my routines pretty regularly... Like the chest w/o I did this morning I think it's my 3rd time doing it and I want to change it already for next week...

Anywho I have to get going...where? No where really but I am spending way too much time on here lately...

Later all..

Lana...

Last edited by Lanaii1; 02-20-2003 at 08:11 AM.
Old 02-20-2003, 07:59 AM   #27  
Ilene the Bean

I just found an Oven-fried Sesame Chicken in the Muscle and Fitness mag... I'll post it...
Old 02-20-2003, 10:22 AM   #28  

it's afternoon/approaching evening here and this day has flown by !!

my legs workout was great. i was tiny bit tired towards the end, from yesterdays stomach thingy, but i was able to hit 10's throughout the workout.

after that i did a bit on the stairmaster for about 10 minutes. ouch! it was a bit strange getting used to the contraption. but i liked it and i'll be rotating it with the other cardio stuff.

then it was 35 minutes of elliptical. i did one of the cardio workouts on there.... oh my !!

i'm happy with my progress this week. i feel great and not exhausted, like i thought i would. i have one more day left of the first week of my own Boot Camp.... UBWO tomorrow. i'm planning on making it a SUPER good w/o.

Lana - that's great about the water!! i see the difference in my whole body when i consistenly drink one gallon. yesterday i must have had close to 2.... i was so scared of dehydration from the runs - yuck !!

Beth - i'm really having a great time following you and DH's progress !! keep it up.

take care everyone,

adriana
Old 02-20-2003, 10:42 AM   #29  

Good morning from stormy Texas!

I was reading some threads about supplement drinks and one that I found that's not too bad is the Carb Solutions Vanilla powder mix. One serving is 120c, 3g fat, 2g carb and 20g protein.

I like to mix it with a couple of frozen strawberries and it's pretty tasty. My local grocery store sells a 13.5 oz can for $12.99.

Has anyone else tried it?
Old 02-20-2003, 09:10 PM   #30  

hi everyone!

i am finally back from my vacation to san deigo! it was great...except for the stomach flu that i had right before i left. my stomach was still in cramping pain on and off throughout the day until yesterday. i did not eat as well...but i am ready to get back on track. i did manage to workout once this week....at the dinky hotel gym, so i was proud of myself. i am going to do this week over but i am glad to be back on plan. i know that i had made some regression but that's okay...live and learn...right?

hope everyone is doing well!

jilly
Closed Thread