Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 02-21-2003, 12:52 PM   #1  

Default Thinking of doing bfl for weightloss

My husband and I are needing to lose weight. We are thinking of doing bfl or the zone. Can you give me any input on the similarities/ differences of the 2. A lot of people we know are using bfl to bulk up. We do not want that. We need to lose weight. I know exercise and weight training are important for good health and we need to incorporate both along with our eating habit and drinking water (we are pretty good about the water).

Do you need to take supplements? by bfl supplements? order special food? what do you do? We were at Walmart last night and they didn't have the book but we will get it hopefully in the next week (the bfl book)

thanks for all your help!

Angie
Old 02-21-2003, 01:22 PM   #2  

Hi Angie-

I've done both so I hope I can help.

The Zone is a diet program. BFL is nutrition/exercise combined. If you are sedentary, the Zone can be fairly effective (to a point) for weight loss. If you do any exercise, the Zone is just not enough food. You'll lose muscle as well as fat, and I know this from personal experience.

But you're smart enough to know that you and dh need to do exercise too!

Doing the Zone is a mathematical pain in the butt. You have to figure out your "blocks" allowed for the day and plan all food from there. Lots of weighing and measuring involved for everything.

On BFL, you can use your palm (protein) and fist(carbs) to measure.

On the Zone, there is no free meal, free day, or anything.

On BFL, you get a full day each week to eat what you want.

Please don't worry about "bulking". You will lose fat doing BFL and yes, your muscles will get stronger. But 99% of the population cannot get "muscle bulk" without serious steroids. Especially women.

You don't need supplements. The book (try half.com for a good price) talks a lot about shakes, but that's because the author used to co-own a company that makes the brand he recommends. You can certainly use shakes for meals for a meal here and there, but real food is better.

HTH

Laura
Old 02-21-2003, 01:44 PM   #3  

From what I read in the zone book they do change the amount of blocks you eat depending on how active you are. I know whateve we do we need to add in exercise! it is all about moving to better health.

So what kinds of food do you eat with bfl? remember I am a very picky eater (hate fish/ seafood and wild rice, tofu, veggies like broccoli, and more) it would be easier to write what I do like.

Anyway, thanks for you info!

Angie
Old 02-21-2003, 01:50 PM   #4  

Yes, they do, and it still isn't enough for weightlifting. It wasn't enough for aerobics classes 4 times a week , either. BTDT. As I said, the scale will move but half of it will be muscle loss, never a good thing. It wasn't just me, either, I know others who had the same thing happen.

On BFL you eat lean proteins (chicken, lean beef, lean pork, egg whites, cottage cheese) and any and all veggies and fruits, plus healthy grains like brown rice and barley. The program stresses unprocessed food and no one will make you eat any tofu.

You eat 6 small meals a day consisting of a serving of protein and a serving of carb (potatoes and corn as well as grains and fruit are carbs; most other vegetables are "veggies" and are unlimited at any meal).

Good luck

Laura
Old 02-21-2003, 03:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 163/163/149

Height: 5'7"

Hi Want to be Fit (Angie)-

My DH and I started BFL together Jan 27, 2003, and IMO it's a great program. We are 38/39 and have worked out regularly for 10+ years, and after four weeks of BFL we are both seeing real change in our body shape. We're never hungry, there's lots of variety in the diet plan, and the work outs are very focused.

The reason you probably can't find the book at Wal-Mart is because it's flying off the shelves. I waited and waited for the book to come to me at the library (on hold) and after three months broke down and bought it. Check Costco - I kicked myself when I saw it was there (and cheaper than I paid!).

I'm a reformed picky eater myself, and am realizing now in middle age that you don't have to LOVE everything you eat. Sometimes you eat some stuff just because it's good for you - and you learn that it won't kill you. I swear I got through my childhood on hot dogs and chicken pies, but am now eating tons of veggies, etc.

You may discover that your limited food choices are leading you down a path you don't want to go in terms of weight, too.

Read the BFL book - you'll get psyched.

BethO
Old 02-21-2003, 06:04 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Read the "Sticky's" at the top of this forum, they will give you some insight....

Read the book, specially the part about "Crossing the Abyss" ... You must WANT this so BAD it hurts, more than FOOD that is only a momentary high...
Old 02-27-2003, 12:29 PM   #7  

I've done both and the Zone is okay once you get used to the portions and the algebra.

The GREAT thing about the Zone was that it introduced me to the idea of low glycemic carbs and eating every few hours (as BFL adheres to).

The bad thing was trying to figure the percentages and the fact that it doesn't include exercises. I also think the fat content is high BUT it advocates good fats and to be honest, I did lose weight on it and have that feeling of well being that comes from keeping your insulin levels steady.

I would go with BFL because I think the food plan is a little more sensible, less figuring out to do, and the exercise portion of BFL will kick your results into high gear.
Closed Thread