Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-18-2009, 08:53 AM   #196  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Mel: Oh see now! You guys are going to make me do this...!(search for a CrossFit membership)

Go ahead and PM with the info. I think I know where three of them may be. One is an MMA place which is the closest to me. However MMA just doesn't appeal to me right now. But maybe I could hook up with them to just do the CrossFit one or twice a week.

18 hours in bed! While that sounds like a dream I know you have far too much going on for that kind of luxury. You must have been exhausted! Glad your feeling better today. Oh and happy college packing/unpacking.

Decent workout yesterday. Chest and back adequately sore. I did manage to gain eight pounds in the last two days. Water. But wow, if I would have seen this kind of gain five years ago it would have totally thwarted my efforts at weightloss. What did I do to gain that much: half a bag of pretzels, dinner out with DH, and heavy training day. Even this morning DH said,, "Wow, you look tired today. Bed at 9:00 tonight." I'm a little tired but my face is just really bloated and it makes me look worse than I really feel. I really do know better. Time to move on from the pretzels this week.

Rabbit: But we MUST take our place under the lights and in front of the mirrors. Otherwise the world will be under the misconception that beauty and strength only belong to the kids. SO. NOT. TRUE. (Step aside son and I suggest you take notes.) Honestly, though, I'm only willing to do that if I really know my lift/exercise and if I'm not sporting the extra eight pounds (see above) so there's bravado for you.

Off to do some mj cardio and legs today. Dinner out tonight with my village. I know... Trust me, I'll have the steamed shrimp and water as penance.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:07 AM   #197  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Lydia, Old Town CF is the bomb! Never been there, but have seen probably all his videos on youtube, and it looks like an awesome environment! I do love that about CF, what you said about doing it on any level.

Not much time this morning. I checked my gym's website. She did not post the overhead pic, I guess she sent it to CF's mainsite, and has to wait for them to post it so she can link to it, or something like that. There's a pic of the guys loading up the new log, though:
http://www.rainiercrossfit.com/raini....html#comments

I'll check in after the gym...gotta get on out the door, since they are doing chip-sealing on the roads along my usual route to the gym, so I'll need a little extra travel time to drive around and miss the roadwork zone.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 10:29 AM   #198  
Workin' It

I just noticed a Crossfit location just down the street from DSS's daycare... At this point though, I don't have the time to join anything new. Might stop in and see if they let you pay as you go and just come sometimes. It would help me to learn if I'm doing some of these things I'm pulling off the website correctly. It must be something in the water...

Lydia - I'm working on the whole 'taking my place in the lights' thing myself. I tend to downplay myself, and I'm trying to be more confident. For example, people always block the path at the park and I hang back and wait for them to move instead of making them move - not anymore! I have as much right to be out there as they do! Don't think I could do it with any lifting activity yet though - not much confidence there yet.

Rabbit - thanks for the Roomba info! I want one... Might look for a refurb...

Pat - I've done that, too - "This is a short list today, won't be so bad." Doesn't always play out that way,though! You are doing a great job with getting up early for workouts, by the way!

Cheryl - ouch on the drill and deck screws. And all the wallball!

Yesterday's workout:
1 real pullup
4 jumping pullups
30 second jump rope
10 squat tuck
Circuit A: 15 snatch (15lb) /10 squat + press (15 lb)/10 hanging pullup, 3 rounds
25 wall ball
Circuit A: 3 rounds again
10 squat tuck
30 second jump rope
25 ball back extensions
10 superman crunch (no idea what to call it, the one where you are on hands and knees with a flat back, extend arm, opposite leg, crunch in to meet knee to elbow?) per side
5 jumping pullups
10x3 hanging knees to elbows
20 min elliptical
15 pushups

Today (actually got up this morning!):
15 pushups
45 min elliptical
10x2 pushups
some stretching

Glad today is already done... Approaching TOM next week and am already starting to feel the run down blah's...

Have a good day everyone! to anyone I missed!

Last edited by Shannon in ATL; 08-18-2009 at 10:31 AM.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 12:09 PM   #199  
Kallos Sthenos

Shannon: That looks like a decent workout yesterday. Mine was a little less impressive today. I missed cardio yesterday so most of today was done doing interval work either on the elliptical or just running around the track. I kept getting side tracked by running into people I haven't seen in a long time and 'catching' up with them. I did get in some walking lunges with 20# db on the shoulders but seriously I find it difficult to call it a real leg workout after that.

Off to do a little research about that MMA CrossFit group close to me and then to see if the other ones have a workshop I can attend.

WHICH REMINDS ME: CHERYL! I SAW YOUR COMMENT ON THE RAINIER CROSSFIT SITE! (I knew it was you before they even made reference to it. "They ruined my life..." LOVED IT! ) But isn't it great to find a village of your peers all in one spot!
Old 08-18-2009, 01:17 PM   #200  
Working My Way Back Down

Arghhh. I just couldn't drag myself out this morning. I find it much harder if I know that I have nothing going on in the evening. So I'll be doing a UBWO after work tonight.

And looking at the clock, I need to get to a meeting.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2009, 04:19 PM   #201  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Lydia, I'm glad you had a good laugh. I always have to put something stupid for comments...it's just what I do! I think it would be great if you went to a CF and got some help with your lifts. Just be careful, cuz you might get it on you! I bet you could just take DS with you to the CF gym.

Shannon, great job on that workout! I love all the variety you're putting in these days! Just BTW, if you want to make a medicine ball for wallballs, use an old basketball, cut a slit just long enough to slip the tip of a funnel through, fill with play or construction sand to the weight you want (full is 8 lbs, I've heard, which is usually a good beginner women's weight), then tape over the slit with duct tape and rub it down nice and tight, so it doesn't leak.
Thought that might be a good addition to your home gym. Scope out your local craigslist for used equipment like a power rack, squat stands, or a bench if you use one, and you may find a good price on weight/barbell sets, too, if you hit it at the right time.

to everybody else!

The CF Report:

Snatch
3-3-3-3-3
warm-up with lighter weights, then do 5 sets of 3 with the same weight

I hadn't done enough snatches to know what to use, so I just fiddled with it today. I wanted to work on the full squat snatch, myself, so I just added weight until I felt like I was losing my nerve on the squat portion of the lift, and stayed there.
warm-up was half-dozen or so with the pvc pipe, then sets of 3 at:
15-27-35-35-45F
Caught the 45 with a power snatch, but really wanted that full squat catch, so dropped it back to 40 lbs, and kept it there for all 5 working sets, to practice, so did 40-40-40-40-40, all sets of 3 reps each. At first, even the 40 was scary, and I'd revert to a power catch, like I was afraid of getting stuck in the bottom of the squat at that weight. So, my trainer recommended catching it as low as possible, then passing through a full OH squat, if I didn't catch it in the squat to begin with. I did that, and after a few sets, my confidence was up, so I started catching it in the squat every time. Last set wasn't so pretty, as my legs were tired, but I definitely felt like it was a very productive session, and I learned a lot. I am going to put these into my warm-up at least once a week, to keep practicing, so that next time they come up heavy, I might be able to up the weight.

After the workout, I tried practicing the pull-ups, but my shoulders were just toast, probably from the wallballs yesterday, mostly. My grip was good today, though, which is one of the things that's been holding back my progress with getting more than 2 pull-ups strung together, so that's still a step forward!
Old 08-18-2009, 04:55 PM   #202  
Workin' It

Cheryl - would you believe I don't own an old basketball? I'm just going to have to buy a medicine ball I guess, or try to find an ld basketball somewhere. I do have six bags of wet play sand on the backporch though... I was thinking of making a sandbag - I saw directions on stumptuous with some exercise suggestions for it... And I am really enjoying the variety of exercises!

I ran out of time and haven't planned tomorrow yet and really want to get it done in the morning, so I'm going to stick to the same Circuit B I've been doing and throw in a couple of things around it like I did on Monday. I still have the 'filthy 50' list in my garage so I'll likely pull a few things off there. If I get up - DSS tonight and it is always a toss up on if he lets us get any sleep.

Pat - same with me... if I know I can get the exercise in after work I'm much less likely to get up...

Lydia - one of the reasons I work out at home! I am much too social for a gym - always stopped to talk to people and then ran out of time and went home. At least you got some work in around the catching up!

Good evening everyone!
Old 08-18-2009, 08:50 PM   #203  
Mel

Wow! Everyone is doing great!

I've finally recovered from my week of being maxed out. A few days rest was really what I needed.

Rabbit- How do the cats react to the roomba? I'd love to get one- although I'd have to clean up for it and make several wire strewn rooms off limits. (Dh like to play with computer parts.)

We have squat racks now at CF! yay! I don't have to be able to clean whatever weight I'm trying to front squat or thrust!

Today's workout:

5X3 sets of heavy front squats

50 double unders (nasty,nasty double jump rope where you attempt to get rope under feet twice)
10 barbell front squat-thruster
40 double unders
8 f s-thrusters
30 double unders
6 f s t
20 d u
4 f s t
10 d u
2 f s t

I mostly whap the back of my head and my calves doing the double unders. I'm going to have to find a mod for that, because I just plain can't do it, and the jumping squishes my sciatic nerve too much. by the end of the first 50 my left leg was numb.

Food is OK. The weekend was hard. Lydia, I did the pretzel OD also. I REALLY need to get back into my "not my food" mentality. I'm in the beginning of the "treatment" section of the Overcoming Overeating book and it looks like that is his approach. For some of us, moderation really is impossible. Our brains are wired or have learned to be wired like addicts. I'm definitely in that group.

Lightening and thunder here...time to go

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 12:36 AM   #204  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Shannon, just about any thrift store will have a bin full of them. I buy them for the dogs to kick around the yard, and usually pay less than .50 apiece, after tax. The real medballs are great, but I'm not sure how much they cost. I think the ones CF uses are Dynamax brand, or something like that. They are cloth on the outside, and big, so great for wallball and medball cleans, plus the perfect height for measuring squat depth.

Mel, congrats on the racks, but what kind of weight are you using for thrusters that you need a rack? Thrusters go right on the same list of "stuff I hate" as wallball and burpees.

Well, I am coming down with something...sinuses are acting up and I actually fell asleep today for about 4 hours when I sat down to read a book. Probably the sudden change in the weather, I don't know, but it's been hot, cold, hot, and that usually plays havoc on my system. I don't want to be sick. I'm going to get to bed, see if a good night's sleep can work some magic.

Last edited by jamsk8r; 08-19-2009 at 12:37 AM.
Old 08-19-2009, 01:27 AM   #205  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Thrusters go right on the same list of "stuff I hate" as wallball and burpees.
Well, I've never done wallball, but I'm not real fond of thrusters - and they were in today's workout - and burpees I cannot do. I can't get up reliably with my knees.... So I feel your pain.

Well tonight's workout was good, though the evenings are much more crowded, esp now that it's cooler and darker out, plus it was raining tonight.

(1a) Chin-up (assisted in my case) 5x 6
(1b) Push press 5x 6
(2a) Seated single-arm cable pulldown 4x 9
(2b) Standing 1-arm DB shoulder press 4x 9
(3a) Vertical thrust 3x 6
(3b) Iron cross 3x 6
(3c) Kneeling cable rope pulldown 3x 6
(3d) Straight-arm cable pressdown 3x 6

But my weight was down another 1.5#, and my BF - using a small impedence machine - down 0.9%. It may not be accurate, but it tracks the trend.

On that note, I'm off to shower, read for a bit, and fall into bed. 5:15 am will come much earlier than I like.
Old 08-19-2009, 02:00 AM   #206  

Mel - good to hear that you are feeling better. Incredible that you are on the Cf as well, awesome. The cats have no problem with the roomba, the old one was scared, the young punk interested, and now they totally ignore it. You don't have to clean away the computer wires: my son'd computer corner also sprts a lot of wires & so does his 3 electric guitars. As long as they are more than about 3 mms (1/8 inch) roomba just rolls over them. Thinner and more flexible wires get caught.

No exercise for me yesterday: worked about 10 hours to finish a work committment & free myself up for the majority of the rest of the week. Did some food shopping. Today is DDs 15 th birthday and 30C temperatures are expected. We are having a bbq at the poolside. I still have to wrap presents, put up decorations & prep food.

You people really impress me with the workouts, I might get the liftin stuff back in place in the next days...

have a great day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 04:21 PM   #207  
Workin' It

Rabbit - enjoy your party!

Pat - high five on the weight and fat loss! And, looked up the 'iron cross' and the 'thrusters' from your routine. Put in the iron cross today - ouch! Going to try the thrusters Friday.

Cheryl - ooo, I'm going to check thrift shops for basketballs... thanks! Hope you feel better!

Mel - I can't do the double unders to save my life... My feet speed up with my hands so I end up jumping crazy fast until I lose control, but still just singles...

So on the thrusters... I pulled an exercise off of stumptuous that is described like this: dumbbell squat + overhead press combo
Squat down holding dumbbells at shoulders, then press up smoothly as you ascend from the squat. Lower dumbbells to shoulders before squatting down again.
How does that differ from the thrusters? Are they more explosive in the movement or go down lower maybe? I watched a couple of videos but wasn't sure. I do know I tried the iron cross today and had to switch from the ball I was using to squatting down to touch the second step of my step stool because the ball kept shooting out from under me and throwing me off balance...

Got up and exercised this morning. Today's routine:

5 Pullups (1 full, 4 assisted)
15 pushups
5 rounds of 'Circuit B' - 10 reps x 15lbs of DB snatch/DB clean + press/burpee (no weight on those, had to take it out because it was killing my back trying to jump up from the squat with dumbbells in my hands)
1 min jump rope
10 pushups
iron cross - 5 lbs - 10,8,8
'10 min abs' (title from a video I have, didn't take 10 minutes ) added a 5 lbs dumbbell on my chest for these (10 crunches, 10 circle abs per, 10 side crunch per, 10 side crunch per w/ leg extension, 20 half reverse crunch, 20 full reverse crunch, 10 'boxer's abs', 10 spinal twist'.)
25 pushups
23 mins stationary bike - 7 miles

Everything up to to bike took just at 40 minutes. The iron cross was a lot harder than I expected with just 5 pounds...

Good day everyone! time for a snack for me... starving...
Old 08-19-2009, 04:50 PM   #208  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
So on the thrusters... I pulled an exercise off of stumptuous that is described like this: dumbbell squat + overhead press combo
Squat down holding dumbbells at shoulders, then press up smoothly as you ascend from the squat. Lower dumbbells to shoulders before squatting down again. How does that differ from the thrusters? Are they more explosive in the movement or go down lower maybe? I watched a couple of videos but wasn't sure. I do know I tried the iron cross today and had to switch from the ball I was using to squatting down to touch the second step of my step stool because the ball kept shooting out from under me and throwing me off balance...
These the ones I do Shannon. THey supposed to be explosive into the lift, mine are so-so. That iron cross will get you - looks easy..... I need to work on getting up to a normal db weight. Right now I'm using 7.5# add-ons from the machines instead.

Did cardio this morning. Ugh. Morning is not a good time for me and cardio. It was a slog... I usually try to plan them for an evening or a weekend later in the day. But we're doing a demonstration square dance for local nursing home tonight. It's not vigorous enough movement to qualify as anything more than active rest.

I'm in budget **** from now until I leave on 9/2. Our 2010 budgets are due - for the first run through - on 9/15, which is the day I come back to work. I'll be taking a laptop with me to my sister's so I can tweak it, but I need to have the major work done before I leave. I have 3 major budgets, and 4 smaller ones..... At least the admin dept does all the personnel stuff, though I did have to send them a memo about the number of PT hours I'm requesting.

On the laptop note, we got 5 really nice Dell mini's - 12" and very light. THey're destined for checkouts to library users (in the building only - adults only with license and car keys for deposit) but I'm considering taking one of them with me instead of the one I usually use, or my personal one, both of which feel like a bag of bricks next to these little babies. I can easily put all my documents on a thumb drive..... Hmmm, need to see if Excel is loaded....
Old 08-19-2009, 09:10 PM   #209  
Mel

Cheryl- You have a long list! Why do you like CF so much

We were using the racks for front squats. I can squat a WHOLE lot more that I can clean! Thrusters...nah. I was doing 75 and barely finishing. That's about my safe clean weight as well. Beyond that I can do it, but if I fail, my head gets in the way and I can't do it again until I unrack the bar and work my way back up

Plain old gym day today. It seems kind of dull now, but I know I can't workout at max intensity all the time. I did do some pretty cool ab exercise on a stability ball. off to find a video...youtube has let me down

OK, here goes. You find a heavy thigh high piece of equipment to hang on to. lie on the ball as if you were going to do crunches. Put your arms/hands overhead and grasp that immovable object. Now raise your legs straight up into the air and do hip raises. DON'T FALL OFF!

Otherwise, and plain vanilla back and chest workout.

I stared down a bag of pretzels today and ate one. One mini-pretzel, not one bag I remembered the discussion in the Kessler book, that you have a split second to make a rational decision.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2009, 10:08 PM   #210  
Kallos Sthenos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel View Post
I stared down a bag of pretzels today and ate one. One mini-pretzel, not one bag I remembered the discussion in the Kessler book, that you have a split second to make a rational decision. Mel
Impressive Mel! You WON that match!

Mel 1 Pretzels 0