Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-06-2009, 05:26 PM   #76  
Working My Way Back Down

From the article:
Perhaps she needs to rethink her fitness sessions with personal trainer Tracy Anderson, which involve gruelling two-hour workouts six days a week while drinking coconut water to keep energy levels high.

Earlier this month, Miss Anderson said: 'I have completely changed Madonna's body. I told her to forget everything she had been taught before and to give up yoga, which can make you look terribly veiny.

Um, yoga = looking veiny? I don't think so. Loss of body fat is what's given her that look......
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 06:00 PM   #77  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Earlier this month, Miss Anderson said: 'I have completely changed Madonna's body. I told her to forget everything she had been taught before and to give up yoga, which can make you look terribly veiny.
Hahaha, Madonna doesn't exactly strike me as the kind of a person who would let others dictate what to do/not to do.

And the mention of "gruelling" workouts made me laugh. Since we have all seen the youtube vid in Gwyn's exercise studio. Madonna was very athletic long time before Tracy Anderson got hold of her.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 02:21 AM   #78  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Hey all.

CF workout today was one I actually liked, a run, but not a sprint!
"Run 2.5 miles"

I got a good time, too, for me, even blew my mile time out of the water, without meaning to. My previous best mile time was 11:20 or something close to that, but today I did the 2.5 in just under 25 mins, for about a 10 minute mile...sweet! Not sure why my running has been improving so much lately, but I'll take it.

After Crossfit, the workout-of-the-rest-of-the-day was spreading about 5 yards of gravel, so lots of shoveling, heavy wheelbarrow wrestling, and raking. My low back feels like I've done about a bazillion deadlifts.

That's all the excitement from here for today.

Lydia, re what book we're reading, we are currently making our way through the Dragonlance series, the original 3 books (since I think there are about a million that have been written since those 3, lol), and just finished book 2. After book 3, he'll be on his own if he wants to read more of this series. Some titles he's really enjoyed in the past: A Painted House by John Grisham, Angela's Ashes by Frank McCourt, Touching Spirit Bear by Ben Mikaelsen, and Winterdance by Gary Paulsen, which are all boy adventure stories of some sort, except for Winterdance, which is a grown-up adventure story, but hilarious. I'll check out the title you referred to...thanks for the suggestion!

Okay, I'm off to bed. I forgot to send this, so it's been sitting here cooking on the puter for an hour or so...hopefully it will still post!

Last edited by jamsk8r; 08-07-2009 at 02:22 AM.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 06:06 AM   #79  
Mel

Wow, I wouldn't describe Angela's Ashes or A painted House as a "Boy adventure"! You have one very mature boy there!

CF yesterday evening was dead lifts, dips and sprints. I'm surprisingly not sore. Dead lifts are easy for me and I didn't load up enough. At least I have a strong butt!

I'm not doing cardio right now because I got 4 hours of sleep. I was ready to kill my night owl son at 2:30 am when I started hearing him talking then turn on the downstairs bath fan. I guess we should but in a quieter fan, but really! I never really got back to sleep and was wide awake by 5:15, but just couldn't drag myself through cardio.

If I get a first or second wind, I'll go do a push-pull up workout at lunch

CF is making my shoulders, back, chest and arms really cut, Also, my traps are bigger- not happy about that, but I'll take the other effects! No, I don't look veiny or string like Madonna, though!

Have a good one,

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:12 AM   #80  
No description available.

Woohoo on the 10 min miles, Cheryl! That's fantastic!!!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:42 AM   #81  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Cheryl - I've read kettlebells are one of the best things for running so I'm guessing it is the CF/Kbs?

I'm really considering joining a running program starting in a few weeks. They meet twice/week and once/week is running on a track which I've never done. The other time is running in a beautiful park at 8am in the morning... on a weekend...

I did 40 pushups/pullups last night along with my kettlebells. Tonight is elliptical!
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:47 AM   #82  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Cheryl on the run. Those are the kind of measurable improvements that make it more than just about weight loss. Takes it to a whole different level.

Your book choices made me smile. I have been thinking about selecting material that may be interesting to both of us but just kind of hung back from it yet. The Dragonlance series is something I am unfamiliar with but he probably knows about it. I'll ask. His next favorite is from the Skullduggery Pleasant series.

http://www.skulduggerypleasant.com/us/book/index.htm

The new one was just released and we have it reserved at the library. He's so jazzed.

Mel: Get some sleep and then get a new fan. Congrats on the further defining CrossFit physique. So I gotta ask, did you notice the changes first or was it someone else? I find that DH usually notices these things before I ever do.

Probably a rest day for me today unless I decide to go in the afternoon. Maybe. Unless I get caught in another project. It's a fine line, energy for the workout or energy to unpack, paint something, fix something etc. Cheryl, I don't know how you do it?!
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 11:04 AM   #83  
Workin' It

Good morning - no exercise for me this morning, my DSS was also a night owl last night... got up 6 or 7 times between 3:15-3:55, then again at 4:15 right as I had dozed back off. Daddy's alarm then went off at 5, I didn't actually fall back asleep until after he was out of the shower & he and DSS got up at about 6:20ish. Needless to say my 6:40 alarm for exercise wasn't happening... I'm going to do my dumbbell workout when I get home today with some light cardio, took the extra sleep this morning.

Forgot the apple to go with my laughing cow afternoon snack... Sadness...

Already had an iced coffee this morning... off now to make some black tea to try to get in a little more caffeine...
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 01:44 PM   #84  
Working My Way Back Down

Ah, Lydia, that's a new series to me - I'm ordering it now! Has your DS read the Ranger's Apprentice (John Flanagan) series? They're very popular here. Also The Last Apprentice (Joseph Delaney) series. The kids keep abreast and always let me know when the newest ones are coming out.

Gosh, our workout this morning was squats, then um, some squats, followed the squat jump to a tuck, then - wait for it - more squats, with a few lunges thrown in for good measure. My legs are wobbly, and tomorrow should be interesting! Feel like I earned my breakfast that's for sure!
Old 08-07-2009, 04:10 PM   #85  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Speaking of arms: I actually don't consider Aniston's arms to be anything special. As far as I'm concerned, there is not enough muscle defnition there. (Judging just from that one pic posted).
Lydia's arms, on the other hand .... that's a different story!!!
Mel, you need to post a picture of yourself, too!

Here are Hollywood arms that I love:
(Eh, sorry, you will have to scroll down, the pic got attached as a thumbnail attachment. That is Angela B. as Tina Turner. Don't know if her arms are still as spectacular).

What else is new:
This is my day 3 with sore lower back. Therefore, no exercise this morning (I did go to Zumba last night and my foot is FINE TODAY!). Fortunately, I had an appointment with my lovely chiropractor lady today and she believes it is just muscles in my back that are out of whack. She worked on those and now I feel pretty good. Before starting to work on my back, she was doing a number of things with me, like asking to bend this way, stretch that way, get my knees to my chin, etc. She kept saying Wow, Wow .... and when we were done, she said she is totally blown away how flexible I am and that most people of my age are barely 50% as flexible as me. (When she asked me to bend down and reach to my toes, I placed my entire palm on the floor. ) She said she would love to use me at various demonstrations for the public LOL. I love getting compliments like that.
She also didn't want to believe I am turning 50. Hah!

So .... I am going someplace tonight so I will buzz down do the gym for a quick workout as I won't have time to do an hour and 15 minutes of P90X.
Bad news for tomorrow: with humidex, it will feel like 42 C. Blech!!! It looks like the weather should be seasonal for the next two weeks. I.e. Hot and Humid. Yack. I hate living with the A/C on.

Cheryl:

Alena
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Angela.jpg (28.2 KB, 8 views)

Last edited by Tomato; 08-07-2009 at 04:12 PM.
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 04:32 PM   #86  
Mel

Yup, those are GREAT arms!

I did no workout today- I'm so tired I'm seeing double.

Lydia- I am either very vain or very attuned to my body. I noticed, dh noticed and the cf trainer who I've known for years (through thick and thin ) noticed.

off to read a dull book and fall asleep.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 07:52 PM   #87  
Working My Way Back Down

Talk about timely, a friend just sent me this. We've obviously been doing it all wrong.....

New Way to Tone Arms

Want to take bets about whether these models go their arms using this?
Old 08-07-2009, 07:56 PM   #88  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Pat - sign me up!

I started c25k today...
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 09:58 PM   #89  
Eyes on the Prize

S/C/G: 350/ticker/160

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterRat View Post
Talk about timely, a friend just sent me this. We've obviously been doing it all wrong.....

New Way to Tone Arms

Want to take bets about whether these models go their arms using this?
No wonder all the adult movie chicks have great arms!!! I bet they do that more than 6 minutes a day, though.

The shake weight. I meant the shake weight!!
HotWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2009, 10:09 PM   #90  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Pat, that's it, I'm quitting crossfit!

Nelie, congrats on starting the C25K!

Mel, you might be right, but the main characters are boys, so there! Congrats on the new arm definition. I've definitely grown better biceps, triceps, and my first ever delts-I-can-see doing crossfit. I think I might have some back muscles, too, but still have too much fat there to see them, plus they're on my back, which is hard for me to see anyway. (spin, spin...hahah...er...nevermind!)

Thanks to everybody on the WTGs on my run time yesterday.

Today's workout sucked, or rather, I sucked at the workout. It looked all innocent on the white board, but my arms and shoulders were pre-toasted from moving all that gravel yesterday:
15 push-ups
1 rope climb
5 rounds for time

Let's just say it all sucked, and leave it at that!

In my warm-up, I tried to do the full squat snatches again. I did great with the pvc, at least it felt great, but nobody was watching, so it might have been off a bit. However, when I tried it with the 15 lb barbell, I about fell backward. Only got a few tries in, though, because then it was time to do the workout, so I'll try again when I get a chance.

Today I've been just holed up in the house, doing laundry, dishes, playing on the computer, and in between times I've been out to the garage to put a few coats of spray paint on the strongman log I made for my trainer's boy. The paint looks pretty good, so far, and I think it will look like a "real" metal one to the boy, even though it's made of plastic. Hopefully the paint will be tough enough to take a beating, without flaking off. It's a special paint for plastics, so hopefully it will hold up to having weight plates added and being dropped on the floor a lot. Oh well, it's an experiment!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote