Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-25-2009, 06:38 AM   #241  
Mel

cardio done, breakfast cooking.

I ended up going to cf yesterday after doing my leg workout at lunch. I made this mistake of looking at the web site to see what I'd be missing. Handstands??? I was the one wo had been asking for them!!!

I finally managed a few on my own and a few handstand push ups It felt like I was flying 10 years ago I would have laughed if anyone told me I'd be doing things like this again,

Have a good one!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 12:24 PM   #242  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Mel: Fantastic job with the Handstand pushups! CrossFit agrees with you.

This is going to be a no gym week for me. I could either hit my basement or plan it as a recovery week. Most likely the later. Maybe I could go in during the late afternoon early evening time with the boys if I get a little edgy.

Back to school nearly did me in this morning. DS1 began middle school. Enough said. Fifteen minutes before the bus was to come all broke lose and all that the child had repressed this summer came out. Uncertain how to pull him together I finally just got out the camera and told him to pose for his annual "first day" of school shot. That seemed to help. He was much better at the bus stop once his neighborhood friends arrived. I so badly wanted to be able to just "do this for him." But, we can't. I'm dying to know how he's doing and what's going on.

DS2 also began kindergarten which went much more smoothly. Until he came home... hate half day kindergarten.

Mel: Hope your son transitions to college is seamless.

I also bought the book The End of Overeating. I'll let you know what I get out of it. Not exactly the best week for me to attempt to make further adjustments to my diet.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:17 PM   #243  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Mel, WTG with the handstands and HSPU! woot!

Lydia, I'm sure DS1 did fine once he got going.

Well, I got behind this morning and didn't make it out the door in time to hit the gym. I called to see what the WOD was, but it was OH Press (aka shoulder press) for 3-3-3, and I don't have that kind of weight at home, or a real barbell to hold it, if I did have the plates. My trainer said "just do some more squats today," hahaahaha..smack! Wiseguys, who needs 'em? My legs were swollen up like tree trunks last night, better today, but getting very sore, so I think I'll just see if my boy wants to get out for an easy bike ride or a walk along the river, or maybe take the dog for a scooter run, since it's cool and overcast today. I can do the OH Press wod tomorrow, if I get to the gym early enough, then I'll do whatever the metcon-o-the-day is afterward.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:44 PM   #244  
Workin' It

Mel - High five on the handstand pushups!

Cheryl - on no, I'm not to the hanging deadlift pullup point yet... eek. I got the name 'hanging pullup' from Krista on stumptuous, so far only seen one other place that calls that exercise by that name... So, 'row'. Got it. She did list a 'standard row' as a substitute for it, but I never found what that one was either.

Pat - one legged bridge is exactly what it sounds like. I cross my foot up onto my other knee and have at it. Sometimes I put the stationary foot on the base of my weight bag and do them on there instead of on the ball, depends on how strong I'm feeling. The ball is a little more difficult, as it is more likely to shoot out from under my foot and hit the wall.

Lydia - I'm sure DS is doing just fine now that he is in with his friends and settled!

Got up and did my cardio this morning, did a little box moving today but not much. Shelves turned out to be the wrong configuration for what we needed so we aborted after assembling one of them and will try to find different ones....

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2009, 02:49 PM   #245  
Workin' It

Ah, there is my problem - she calls them 'horizontal pullups', not 'hanging' - I've been using the wrong word...
Old 08-25-2009, 03:23 PM   #246  
Working My Way Back Down

Ah yes, the shooting ball. I try to position mine to go into a corner if my feet come off of it.

No workout this morning due to having to be at the courthouse for jury duty by 8 am. I refuse to get up any earlier than 5:15, and besides the gym doesn't open til 5:30, so I could either cut the workout short, or skip it and sleep another hour. The sleep won. It will help since I have a city council meeting tonight, and those always keep me up later than my normal 10 pm bed time.

I've got to go back to the courthouse after lunch. They had us fill out more focused questionnaires (i.e. relating to the issues the case is about) so the lawyers needed time to read all of those. I'm still that I can get out of this. Hopefully my plane ticket for 9/2 will do it....

Hanging, horizontal, reverse push-ups, whatever they're called are HARD! I'm thrilled to get even part-way up!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 07:49 AM   #247  
Mel

Lydia- How did day one of middle school go? Hope all was well and he acclimated quickly I think you will get an eye-opener from The End of Overeating. We'll have to compare impressions when you are done. Good luck with recovery week. I find I can only last for about 2 days

Shannon, I do those one legged ball bridges too. I try to keep the second leg pointed straight up at the ceiling. By the tenth rep or so, it's kind of wilting.

Every inch of me is sore from squats, deadlifts, hand stands, front squats, overhead squats, and rollouts. I did 20 minutes of bike intervals this morning and don't plan to lift today. Ummm...actually I'm going start moving the entire contents of my closet, bathroom and an overloaded bookcase so that our bathroom can be ripped apart next week. We'll be away taking ds to school on the weekend, so the schedule is looking pretty crazy at this point. Function fitness! And this is where I'll be really sorry that I traded my food addiction for a shoes and clothing addiction, and that I read so darned much. Every room is filled with books and I just don't know where to stuff the ones that I have to move.

Pat- My fingers are crossed for you!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 12:16 PM   #248  
Workin' It

Lydia & Mel - My HRM keeps telling me I need a 'recovery week'. What's up with that? Do I really need one? How can I tell?

Mel - I've not tried the one legged bridge with the second leg pointed up... I have to try that...

Pat - ball in the corner makes a lot of sense, and I have never once thought of it... I try to put mine against the treadmill, but it still has the window to squirt out to the sides that way...

I have a serious headache today, so I'm considering an off day from exercise. I'm actually considering going home early and taking a nap. Can I get up in the morning and do some crossfit-ish strength training and then fo to the park after work for a run? Is that too much for one day? (Thinking about tomorrow, obviously, not today...)

Good day everyone!
Old 08-26-2009, 01:38 PM   #249  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning. All the worked. It was going to be a 2 week (minimum) trial, and one on sexual abuse of a minor besides. I am sooo glad to be excused. Now if we can keep any hurricane activity off the northeast coast....

Mel - I'm reading THe End of Overeating as well (my name finally came up in the reserved list). I think he hammers the point a lot, but it is interesting, and makes me glad I've pretty much given up snack foods and restaurant meals! We did go out for DH's birthday last Friday, but it was at a local, non-chain place that cooks with local foods, and makes everything from scratch.

Shannon - I've read that a recovery week is a good idea. How often seems to vary. Me, I seem to travel enough to take one every couple of months. I've been exercising pretty regularly since early July, and when I'm at my sister's I expect to do much less, and probably heavier on the cardio than the weights. It'll be enough of a break to make getting back to the weights feel good, I think.

Speaking of exercising, I shut off the alarm (apparently) and didn't get up til after 7. Obviously too late to get to the gym and to work by 8 So I'll go tonight, and do both yesterdays UBWO and today's HIIT. My legs are pretty well recovered from Monday. I had hoped to mow the rest of the lawn (DH did half on Monday) but it's raining, and supposed to rain all day.

I got home from the city council meeting last week just after 9 pm, and startled two young bull moose in my driveway. They ran off towards the back yard and then over to the area on the other side of the driveway by the garden. We watched them stand around there for a bit, and then they laid down and slept there all night. DH was soooo tempted to get out his gun. They are 2 year olds, small antlers still with "velvet" on them, and certainly not legal to be hunted. They've been around for most of last year and this - first with their mother, now alone.

These are not the same moose, but they are in my driveway - headed for the garden area. Picture is from my front doorway.....

Last edited by WaterRat; 08-26-2009 at 01:39 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 05:11 PM   #250  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Pat, it's pretty there in the fall. The biggest interlopers we get in our yard are raccoons, and thankfully, they're just after the cat food.

Lydia, what she said. We're dying to hear how first day of middle school went!

Shannon, I will take a rest week if I feel run down and am just not recovering, but usually I get one unplanned, like I come down with the flu or something, and can't go to the gym, so I don't usually have to plan for a special rest week. On the double workout, I think just see how you feel when it comes to the run. I'd think it would be fine, you just might slow the pace on your run a bit, take it easy, and just use it as a recovery workout to loosen things up.

Mel, good luck with moving all that stuff...sounds like a workout to me!

So yesterday, my boy and I got out and picked blackberries, finally. We got over 3-1/2 lbs picked and in the freezer. There are at least that many left on the vines out there, so I'll see if we can get out for another round in the next day or two. We should have plenty to last us all year long, if we can get them picked before the weather changes on us.

The CF Report: (feel free to skip, as always)

Made up yesterday's OH Press workout, well, almost. Accidentally did a 3RM workout, instead of 3 sets of 3 with the same weight. I get confused sometimes, by how CF writes the reps/sets. Got a PR on the OH Press for 3 reps, anyway, of 80# today. I got 85# for 1, but was too tired to get all 3. Next time I do 3RM, I'll go right for the 85#, since I think I could get it if I'm fresh enough and skip over the 80# lift.

When that was done, I still had to do today's metcon. It had running in it, and I was never so glad to see it, since my legs needed it. (still super sore from Monday's squatfest)

Run 400 meters
21 KB Swings 54#/36#
42 Sit-ups
Run 800
42 Sit-ups
21 KB Swings
Run 400

My time was 15:32/Rx'd with AbMat Sit-ups. I was battling for best time with my 14 y.o. buddy today, and I beat him for once, but only by 14 seconds.

Last edited by jamsk8r; 08-26-2009 at 05:11 PM.
Old 08-26-2009, 07:57 PM   #251  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Aloha, people!

I bet you no longer remember who I am (which serves me right). I won't bother you with descriptions of all my physical pains and aches (even I myself lost a respect for myself a long time ago). I had to take a serious break from exercise I was really worried about causing my damage to myself.
The last time I still "had it together" was when Cheryl deadlifted 200 lbs and Mel 300 lbs (or something like that). Since then I only really peeked here and there because it was too frustrating to even read.
Let me just say that I ate the whole time like there was no tomorrow and now the time has come to pay for my sins.

The link to supine reverse push up caught my attention - Shannon, these were featured in the last issue of Oxygen (I think) and an easier version is if keep your legs bent at the knee. And I think also your feet won't reach so far ahead, you will more directly under the bar.[sorry if this doesn't make sense. ] Gradually, as you improve, you can start moving further forward and start "hanging down" more.

Pat, nice moose. BTW, I just finished The Book of Negroes (Lawrence Hill ? I think) and The Scenic Route by Binnie Kirchenbaum??? Some jewish name like that. Both were fairly good reads and in 1 week I was done with both.
Still waiting for Overeating (which I need to read very BADLY! - still at least 5 people ahead of me).

Alena
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2009, 10:59 PM   #252  
Kallos Sthenos

Oh Alena! Are you okay?! I hope your physically feeling better. You know, I understand that they say diet is like 80% of the equation. But there is just something about exercise that helps to keep our diet in line. At least it is for me. I know that when I'm not working out with a plan and I have a "rest week" (ahem like this week) my diet is not nearly as clean/controlled as it is when I'm physically working out every day toward a goal. It's my whole mentality of "Eating for my workouts" that keeps me in line. I wish you all the strength you need as you reel your healthy food choices back in.

So I bought the book instead of waiting for my turn at the library. I decided I would want to highlight it and make notes in it anyway. Being the dork that I am I immediately skipped to the back where the "solution" is. Still highlighting and writing down my own thoughts upon it as I go. I'll share as soon as I"m done.

Cheryl: Look at you Wonder Woman! I'm impressed with your 85# overhead presses. Very cool! Still haven't followed upon the CrossFit affiliate yet. Way too much going on here this week. It's August which means I have five birthdays in four days. That's a lot of cake folks. Let's hope my workout clothes still fit at the end of this week.

Pat: I love your photos! What an interesting guest to show up. Also glad you don't have to report to jury duty. Let me know what you think of the book as well.

Shannon: Is you HRM telling you this because your resting heart rate is running a little higher than usual. That can be an indication of over training. On the occassions that I have overtrained certainly not this year for me, I also find that I have a difficult time going to sleep at night. I toss and turn all night long, I take a lot longer to recover from workouts. Not so much the DOMS but just having the energy to throw myself into it and it feels like sludge. I also find that the weight feels a lot heavier than I remember it feeling. These are things I've noticed personally. A decrease in coordination as well as headaches and mood swings can also be symptoms that others may experience from over training. You have been training pretty hard the past couple of months. An extra day off or two might be just what you need. Again it really is one of those times when it's important to "listen to your body" and kind of discover where your boundaries are. After a while you will begin to see a pattern as well. I have so many interruptions into my schedule that I don't have to plan a rest period. Life plans it for me more than I want. But it should be scheduled into your routine every eight to twelve weeks. But really, listen to your body too. Could be that your volume of training has been really high for too long and you need to scale it down for a few weeks. Maybe you are working on getting over a virus that just hasn't presented itself fully yet. I often know just about a few days before I get sick with a cold because my lifting sessions are pitiful.

Mel: Every hear of the book called "It's All Just Too Much" yeah, I haven't read it yet either. After packing and unpacking my house though I'm thinking that it's next on my list. Good luck finding homes for all of your things as you work on the bathroom.

Okay, DS1's first day. It was tough for both of us. I was a wreck all day. The other mothers reported similar dramas in their homes too. When I met him at the end of the day he looked drained but was very calm and "mature" as we set up his locker together. Later in the evening he swore he wasn't going back. Ever. 'Course I packed him up and walked him out the door again today which fortunately went MUCH better. Another kid introduced himself to DS1 and asked if he could be his friend. : I think the teachers scared him with all of the "rules and expectations" and what will happen if you fail to do whatever. Once he relaxes and has a few successes he'll be fine. One bonus out of this, he wants to go to the gym after school so that he can use it as a stress reliever. WOW! Now how 'bout that! The kid's been tuning in and watching.
Old 08-27-2009, 12:15 AM   #253  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

Alena, I was just thinking about you today, and wondering where you ran off to! Hope you'll be better now, after your rest!

Lydia, thanks for the middle school report. Hopefully he'll feel better about it in a few days.
Old 08-27-2009, 01:17 AM   #254  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamsk8r View Post
Alena, I was just thinking about you today, and wondering where you ran off to! Hope you'll be better now, after your rest!

Lydia, thanks for the middle school report. Hopefully he'll feel better about it in a few days.
Alena and Lydia - what she said.

I had a minor victory tonight. I was doing yesterday's workout, which btw was lower body, not upper (when will I learn to read?), since I never got to the gym yesterday. Anyway the first two exercises were front squats and ROmanian deadlifts. On the last set (of 4) I managed to go below horizontal on my squats - for the last 3! I was so excited I wanted to run and tell everyone in the gym! DH was actually somewhere in the gym, but I never saw him, just his truck when I pulled in. (I also DL'd 60# for one set ) A good day. Let's hope tomorrow morning's UBWO (yes, really) goes as well. It's pretty much things I can do well, just working on upping the weight.

Mel - I feel your pain. We recarpeted our two downstairs rooms - office and worse, craft room - and moving everything out, and back, was a major hasssle. This winter DH wants to do our bedroom. More big pieces of furniture, but less stuff overall....
Old 08-27-2009, 07:20 AM   #255  
Kallos Sthenos

Pat: That's fantastic that you were able to squat below parallel! I always find that my better set is usually my second or third. The first one usually has me feeling like the Tin Man but once the joints are well oiled and the practice set is in it feels wonderful. Good for you! Did it feel a little different during the drive back up from below parallel? Or not too different?

Ah, this morning I am picking up DH from the airport. It's his birthday today too.

Have a great morning everyone.