Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-13-2009, 07:39 AM   #151  
Mel

50 push ups/ 50 pull ups

Alena- can't believe the dog ate your journal OK, having had dogs, I believe it

Have to run (through the rain).

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:12 AM   #152  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

People, I always thought that Minderwertigkeit was a household word!!!

Mel -
If you only knew. My dogs (I can't blame it all on Beetle Bug although she is one of the main contributors) ate or chewed up:

- several shoes, including a brand new pair that I wore only once
- a dust pan and a dust broom
- a book from the library for which they charged me $29
- innumerable pens, pencils, magazines, notebooks, sheets of paper
- plastic bag that would supply a small store for a week
- more socks than I want to know
- undies
- leather gloves
- multiple remote controls
- a digital camera (fortunately it could be repaired)
- two pairs of glasses (want to see pictures?)
- a cord from a lamp (it wasn't plugged in)
- a can with chicken broth (tell me they can't read?!?)
- oodles of tupperware
- I already mentioned the extensive damage to the window frame
- a mascara
- not to mention some bags filled with garbage that I forgot to take out
(the joy of finding your living room having been turned into a dumpster when you get home from work)

I am sure I am missing some crucial item but I will remember later. Oh, Piper once got trapped in a room (the draught must have closed the door when she was in there and I was at work) so she tore the carpet, ripped off a piece of the baseboard and started working on the door.
They also keep eating my Echinacea (in the garden) thinking it's their salad bar. I am surprised it is in fact blooming.

Alena
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 09:19 AM   #153  
No description available.

My dogs have taken lately to eating bread and bags of hamburger buns. Which helps me keep on my nutrition plan. My cottage cheese and protein powder are safely put up.

I'm so behind on this thread---finally saw the shaking dumbbell video...oh my!

Okay, math time
36 pull-ups last night and then 30 this am for 66. New total:

110 pushups/126 pullups

Hmm....we are almost half way through August!
midwife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:28 PM   #154  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

I'm not even touching the push-up/pull-up challenge, just for the record! You guys go with your bad selves, though!

Alena, I took German in 4th grade, but have forgotten it all. I do know the dog obedience and protection training commands, and the French ones...does that count as being multilingual? Right now I'm working on beefing up my sign language skills, since my trainer's boy is deaf. Mostly, I don't get to it until I'm in bed, then I get about 5 minutes of studying in before I fall asleep...hmm...might have to work it into the daylight hours if I expect to make progress! Ooh, I could put it into the homeschool schedule, that would work, since my boy could use a refresher course, as well. We haven't used it since he was very young/pre-verbal, so we're both pretty rusty.

HotWings, speaking of homsechool, sorry I didn't get back to you on that earlier. We have a lot of homeschoolers in our area, but don't really meet up with them. We tried it, but it just wasn't that exciting, mostly a play group for younger kids and toddlers, and we seem busy enough and social enough just living our lives. We just meet people of all ages, kids included, by doing what we like to do: skating, running dogs, and lately, the crossfit gym. My son also has his own social network at the library, the comic book store, and lately he's been playing World of Warcraft and chatting with some friends of ours that also play that online game. Nerd bonding, he calls it. I'm taking today to spend some time getting our first 9 weeks or so of homeschool curriculum figured out, including projects and field trip ideas. Hopefully I can make some good progress on that, since at the moment, I can't see HOW I'm going to fit it all into our daily schedule without having our lives scheduled down to the minute (which just isn't realistic, so I'm going to come up with SOMETHING brilliant, I'm sure...more caffeine needed, obviously)!

Everybody else, ! I finally caught up reading all the posts, but need to not spend all day on 3FC, so I'll skip the replies this round. I'm taking an unplanned rest day today, since my back and my shoulders just needed a break, plus I may end up at the gym Saturday AND Sunday this weekend, as we've got the party Saturday, so I may not have time to stay after the morning WOD to do my part of the gym cleaning, in which case I'll have to go back Sunday to do that. I'm really hoping I can just do it Saturday, though, which would save me some gas money, and also just give me one day where I don't have to get up at the crack or be anywhere!
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #155  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning! I was back at gym at the "crack" as Cheryl says! I got some new Nike Free shoes and the need to try them out got me out of bed.... THey are very light and yet stable. However, though I ordered 1/2 size larger than normal, I think I should have gone up a full size, so I'll exchange them (thank goodness for Zappos). I couldn't find a pair around here to try on before I ordered.

Today was once again the "all squats" workout - groan. I'll be glad when this 4 week rotation is over. Now that I can lift the large bar, however, I can do lumberjack squats. I still have trouble with front ones - in that I don't seem to be able to keep the bar in place. When I study my bone structure I realize that my whole shoulder/clavicle area is really quite narrow, and that may be the reason. Sigh. Maybe I'll consult with one (of the two) trainers the next time one is in the gym when I am. The guys who are there in the morning seem to be pretty focused mainly on upper body stuff. Hardly ever see one doing squats or deadlifts.

Otherwise, life is way too busy. I'm leaving for a 2 week visit to my sister and other family/friends on Sept 2 - I have a ton of stuff to get done before then, both at work and home. I hope to make vast inroads into the home stuff this weekend. Our garden is in full harvest mode, so I need to be picking and freezing stuff. I wish there was a way to preserve lettuce, since as usual we have lots more than we can use.

It's raining today, which we can use, but I'm supposed to go to an outdoor reception (work related) tonight. There's a tent, but if there's wind that won't be much help. There's a faint chance it'll clear up before 5:30
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 02:47 PM   #156  
Workin' It

Good afternoon!

I made it out of bed this morning and spent 45 mins on the elliptical. My triceps & inner elbows are seriously killing me today, don't know exactly which item overdid it, but something did.... 15 more pushups this morning, didn't have any more in there, maybe later.

Cheryl - I've received resumes from people who listed themselves as having 'multilingual familiarity' who when probed knew about that same number of words in other languages! LOL.

Midwife - letting the dogs eat the bread items does help with the diet...

Alena - the dog my ex and I had would eat anything... I have several pieces of furniture still that the bottom edges are all chewed off, she destroyed a pair of eyeglasses, chewed her way out of three crates, etc. It was amazing...

Good day everyone!
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2009, 03:42 PM   #157  
Working My Way Back Down

Um, Alena and Shannon, you both present good reasons for us to remain a cat-only household. Not that they don't destroy things on occasion......
Old 08-14-2009, 06:58 AM   #158  

Cat only household also have their issues.

Our young cat Noodles takes in these little snacks for me and my daughter to enjoy...imagine waking up to crunching sounds at 2 am and finding Noodles crunching on a little birdie on the duvet of your bed. At the moment she has taken to mice; we'll find a big mouse at the foot of the stairs in the morning, and she'll bring in the little mice one by one over the day.
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 07:41 AM   #159  
Mel

Cardio done. Yesterday's CF workout completely wiped me out. I think I'm getting weaker and have less endurance each time. Definitely a sign of over training

Alena- My dog was similar in her tastes, but she could also tell the difference between expensive clothes and underwear vs. inexpensive. She only went for the high priced items. The cats are slightly destructive, but nowhere close to the dogs!

I admire you homeschoolers, but the thought never would have crossed my mind! My kids and I would have killed each other. However, considering the amount of time my son missed due to chronic illness, he virtually home schooled himself.

Off to another day in the trenches. I think I'm going to take a rest day from lifting or CF.

Mel
Old 08-14-2009, 10:06 AM   #160  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

I've been slacking on pushup/pullups and my husband harassed me about it. I knew I shouldn't have told him.

Homeschooling kind of blows my mind and I don't have kids.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2009, 10:25 AM   #161  
Let's salsa!

Of course the critters will go mostly for the expensive items. That's the whole point - I bet they taste much better. Take the window frame - the window cost me slightly over $2,000 (it is a HUGE window). Or my eyeglasses - they are very costly due to my odd prescription.

Zumba last night and my foot is fairly ok, but my lower back continues to be a problem. At this point, it seems like ANYTHING is triggering it. I may have to lay off the P90X until september when I am on vacation. I feel quite stiff in the morning (especially at 5:30 am) and even though I warm up, it may not be enough. I am usually a bit better later in the day. Or perhaps the Ab Ripper on top of the weigh lifting sessions is too much (it is a really very tough 16 minutes).
We had a power outage during the night so no exercise this morning. It was for the better because I probably would have woken up early for nothing - my back was not up to it. I will go to the gym in the evening and hopefully I can figure something out what I can do.

Pat, when you go on the 3FC visiting tour (you ARE going to visit us all, aren't you?!?) I highly recommend these two books to read along the way:

LATE NIGHTS ON AIR by Elizabeth Hay - I never read anything else by her but I heard her other books are nothing special. This one, however, is.

BROTHERS by Yu Hua (I think). Awesome book, very entertaining as well as informative. Loved every one of its 640+ pages. The author is still quite young, I read that he was a dentist before he turned a writer. Hmm, I don't know - all these multitalented people (like him and Cheryl) give me such Minderwer....... oh, never mind.

Alena

Last edited by Tomato; 08-14-2009 at 10:27 AM.
Old 08-14-2009, 02:11 PM   #162  
Working My Way Back Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4rabbit View Post
Cat only household also have their issues.

Our young cat Noodles takes in these little snacks for me and my daughter to enjoy...imagine waking up to crunching sounds at 2 am and finding Noodles crunching on a little birdie on the duvet of your bed. At the moment she has taken to mice; we'll find a big mouse at the foot of the stairs in the morning, and she'll bring in the little mice one by one over the day.
Oh I have this problem! Only my cat brings them in alive, and often loses interest - grrrr - so we have to catch them and take them back out, where I'm convinced they die anyway from the stress. BUt overall, I agree, cats are less destructive.

Thanks for the book recommendations Alena, I've not read either. I'm coming close to the end of the audiobook of People of the BOok by Geraldine Brooks. It's very good, and I don't want it to end! I currently looking at books to download on my MP3 player for the plane flights to/from Boston (to visit my sister) in Sept. I have Girl with the Dragon Tattoo and Like Water for Elephants already, need one or two more, mostly because I like choices for my mood. I already have a ton of music of all types on it, so I'm good there.

The cats got me up at 1:15, 4:00, and 4:45 am. I couldn't drag myself out at 5:30 to go to the gym, so I'll go after work. Did I tell you I bought some Nike Free shoes? THey are very light, yet have support. I ordered them because no one around here carries them, and I think I need to get a half size larger - they felt tight with socks. Sigh, another week or so then.
Old 08-14-2009, 03:29 PM   #163  
Let's salsa!

Pat,
I haven't read Girl with Dragon Tattoo, I will look it up. But I have to say with honesty that although Water For Elephants seems to be popular, I could never "break into" it. I started to read it about 3 times, always hoping it would grow on me but somehow it didn't. My friend (an equal book-o-phile) said the same - she just couldn't read it. There are only very few books I give up on but this was one of them.

Enjoy the snacks at 1:15, 4:00 and 4:45 am. Mice = tons of protein!!!!
LOL

Last edited by Tomato; 08-14-2009 at 03:47 PM.
Old 08-14-2009, 05:33 PM   #164  
Mel

I LOVED Like Water for Elephants! It was a bit sloggy to get into, but I was really sad that it had to end.

Alena- I just completed my recertification course on lower back injuries, prevention and rehab. If you have back issues, working out (lifting, yoga) or even stretching first thing in the morning is not a great idea.

Mel
Old 08-14-2009, 07:19 PM   #165  
Sippin' the Kool-Aid

S/C/G: 235/201/175

Height: 5'7"

Hey peeps!

Just popping in. Had to stay home from the gym this morning since I had a dog coming in late morning, but am heading out in a few minutes to catch the evening workout. Missed heavy deadlifts this morning (dang!), so I'm hoping to sweettalk my way into doing those this evening, but I have no idea whether the evening trainer will let me do that, if it's not the same as their planned WOD.

Shannon, if you want to be REALLY impressed, I know some of the Spanish and Japanese food names, too!

I'd better hit the road. I'll check in later with the CF report, and Alena can close her eyes. My back is still sore, so I'm not sure I'll be hitting that big 200 on the deadlift tonight. I got 195 last time we did 1RM, but it was ugly, and I don't want to go to ugly today, with my back not feeling 100%. I'll get what I can get without giving up the good form, though.
jamsk8r is offline   Reply With Quote