3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   The Chat-Check In Thread March 15 - April!, 2007 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/107341-chat-check-thread-march-15-april-2007-a.html)

elisa822 03-28-2007 01:00 PM

hikerchick - This http://www.spinning.com/ is spinning. Sounds very odd because really it's just a room full of these specialty bicycles that you ride. What's so unique about that? It's hard to explain but there's something about the dynamic...it's a class with an instructor and the lights are a bit dimmer (at least where I go) and the music is great and the instructor talks you through this really great cardio program while you pretend to climb up hills or increase your speed in a race. It's something you almost have to try to get but it is the best cardio workout of anything that I do, running included. Some people also like it because there's no steps or choreography to worry about. From the little I know, it's almost this cliquey thing because the people who love it, seem to be almost obsessive about it. And I might very well try to make it for a 7:00 a.m. class tomorrow...we'll see!

:D

nelie 03-28-2007 01:13 PM

Hikerchick - the weather is beautiful! The only problem is that the ground is still mushy. We went hiking a few weeks ago and it was really wet. There was even a small stream where our path should've been. This past weekend was a conference in downtown DC but we did plenty of walking in DC. This upcoming weekend, we are visiting the inlaws and maybe do a small local hike. I can't wait until the ground hardens up a bit.

WaterRat 03-28-2007 01:14 PM

Morning all!

Hiker - spinning seems to have 2 different "camps" (for lack of a better word) both of which use the same specialized stationary bikes. One is as Lydia described - a great cardio workout. The other is more like Elisa describes - again, a great cardio workout, but also an "experience." I have a friend who is an instructor in the second type. She coordinates all the music for each class, wanting students to get into the ride with their minds/emotions as well as the cardio experience for their bodies. Both are good; which you get/choose depends on your gym and what's available in your location. My gym (the only one within a half hour drive) offers the first (as does the next closest gym), so I'd have to go more than an hour each way to get the second. In larger areas, you'll find both.

I was reading Skwigg's blog this morning and she had a link to a great article by Craig Ballantyne http://skwigg.com/id94.html talking about fat-burning. It hit home with me for some reason.

Fran - if you get an iPod or other MP3 player, you can download a set of podcasts which give you music - and best of all cues - for all 9 weeks of C25K. I've been using them, and it's better than doing math in your head (at least for me) to know when to start/stop running. If you're interested I'll send you the URL, or you could google it. The guy's name is Ullrey, I think.

My run last night was puny. The best I could say - a la Woody Allen - is that I showed up! A rest day today, and hopefully tomorrow will go better. I'm bummed about the return of the cold and snowy weather. I'm quite stressed at work - some things I can control, other I can't, just have to figure out how to react/cope. All this leads to much more trouble in choosing the right things to eat. Sigh. At least I'm getting a handle on stuff at home. I did 2 loads of wash before work this morning, and my taxes are 95% done. Now if the cleaning fairy would just vacumn my house and wash the windows.... :rofl:

:wave: Have a great day.

hikerchick 03-28-2007 04:37 PM

You guys are awesome. Thanks.

Spinning sounds fun.

So I have had a "the glass is half full moment". I am thinking instead of "I had a terrible run today" that "I must have had a great workout yesterday."

So I am considering doing it again but not for another week.

My thought is...

On my first non run day of the week I will do full body workout with heavy lower body.
Next day short mellow jog 2 miles (a little more than today but if it were planned I would have made it).
Next day upper body.
Next day regular 3 mile run+ light lower body.
Long run on weekend 5 miles

I change my mind every week but I suppose its ok as long as I keep going. I just took a nice long walk with the kids it made me feel much better.

Pat, great article.

You all lifted my spirits today. Thanks!

elisa822 03-28-2007 07:00 PM

Please excuse my venting but I just have to get it out. I'm just so stressed these days. There's more going on than I can get into now (nothing serious) but work is crazy, personal life is crazy and when I get stressed, I just feel so on edge.

Today work was particularly out of control and all I wanted was to get out of there by 4:15 so I could get to my 4:30 power class. I have, of course, found that going to the gym really helps so I still fit it in, unless I absolutely can't. Now I'm often at work at about 7:15 so it's a longish day and at 4:00 someone came by to discuss something rather important. All it did was get me more stressed while I watched the minutes tick by and I think I made it out of there at 4:27, ran to the gym, changed as quickly as I could and made it just a couple of minutes late.

Then the gym only stressed me a bit more. I think my small chain gym was/is sold and I heard they're splitting up the locations to different other chains so one I go to will be one name and the other will be a different place. Meaning that I have to choose. And I have to hope my favourite instructors choose the same. AND I did ask my guy about personal training but he doesn't do that anymore.

I know it's not much but when your nerves are raw, little things don't help. Oh well, I'm still hoping to make it to the 7:00 a.m. spinning tomorrow since I won't get there the rest of the day.

Okay, end of venting...sorry, more later when I'm feeling better

WaterRat 03-28-2007 07:35 PM

Oh, I hate days like that!! I'm working on a grant application with people from 5 - count'em 5! - different organizations, and it's all going in under my name. Grrrrr, Monday cannot come soon enough. :)

Bummer about your gym. That happened to ours about 4 years ago. They actually didn't find a buyer for some time, and actually closed for 8-9 months. It was awful. The next nearest gym is over 1/2 hour away - more after work given the traffic. I was one of the first to sign up as soon as the one near me reopened (under new ownership).

Mel 03-28-2007 08:04 PM

Aw, Elisa :hug: That just happened at the gym where I used to work. Many of my clients were still member there for the classes and to do their cardio (I work in a private training studio). Why don't you ask your favorite instructors where they are going? From my experience, a lot of instructors who have been working together for a while like to work together and may all tend to go to the same place.

Hikerchick- Great way to turn your attitude around. Some days just feel so much harder than other days, but it's still doing your body good. There are days when I can't budge the same weight that I used the week before or when 4 mile per hour feels like 6. You're still doing it- moving your body, using your muscles, expending energy. :bravo:

Pat- Welcome back to chaos! I think you have a right to be bummed about the return of snowy weather :( We haven't had snow, but the bunnies ate my crocuses so my spring flowers are gone again. Waiting for daffodils...I don't think anything eats them! And send that cleaning fairy here pronto when HE's done there! I need him by Saturday night :rofl:

Food is back on after Saturday's blip. I'm planning another blip this coming Saturday so I need to be squeaky clean all week. Back in my bad old days of being the chocolate tort queen of the neighborhood, one of my friends and I ran a monthly gourmet dinner group for the neighborhood. We gave that up several (5? gee, what a coincidence...that's how long I've been maintaining!) years ago but were talked into reprising one of the dinners as a Progressive dinner for the neighborhood. So about 60 people will be progressing to my house on Saturday night for dessert and drinks! Luckily for my caloric consumption, I can't eat most of what is on the menu due to wheat. :p But I'm sure I'll find something!

Shoulders and cardio today. I think next week I may try to devise a new workout plan that looks less like a bodybuilder split.

Mel

Lydia227 03-28-2007 09:13 PM

Elisa: What a bummer of a day. I know exactly what you mean. Perhaps each incident in of themselves don't seem like a major event but all together its enough to make you feel raw. Triple bummer about the trainer. I'm disappointed too! I would have been feeling like, "What do you mean you don't do that anymore?! You have no idea how long it has taken me to work up the courage to just ask you! :lol: ~Sigh.~

Okay. Well, the day is behind you. Now you can look forward to the spin class in the morning. :yes: Oh, and start shopping for a new prospective trainer. :cool:

Mel: Sorry about the crocus. Mine look great though. :p Enjoy the progressive dinner. ;)

Pat: Looks like its going to be a long weekend for you. Hang in there. :dizzy:

BfL_Cat 03-29-2007 11:48 AM

Good morning gals!

I ended my workout this am on a very positive note - reweighed myself - yesterday I was very rushed as the doctor's scale in the gym is actually IN the gym, and often you have very little privacy. But, today I had the place to myself and actually took the time to let the balance balance. The good news is that I didn't lose just 1# last week, I lost 3#! :dancer: Needless to say, I am thrilled with this - this brings my 3 month total to 18#! If I can just lose another 20# in the next 6 months before the wedding, I will be so happy!

Speaking of Spring flowers - Mel's mention of them made me so happy - I TOTALLY forgot that I planted hundreds of daffodils last fall! I love tulips, but I am so tired of fighting the deer for them. I try to fence tulips in to protect them, but it makes the whole yard rather unsightly! So, this year I'll have daffodils, which I believe are poisonous to deer, so they'll leave them alone. So, I'll have Spring flowers this year!

Phone is ringing, so I'd better get going - everyone have a good one - almost TGIF!
Cindy

Lydia227 03-29-2007 12:22 PM

Congratulations Cindy with regard to the 18 pound loss! That is just so wonderful. And you are getting really close to meeting your Easter challenge. :high: You must be so psyched for spring and summer this year. :goodvibes:

I'm chipping away at my Easter challenge right now. I seem to float between 133 and 132. My goal is to make at least 129.5 by Easter. :lol: Will I make it? :dunno: It will be close...:s:

Speaking of wedding, how is the hunt for the perfect dress going?

hikerchick 03-29-2007 12:37 PM

Cindy 18lbs is far out. I am very inspired by your long term thinking. You can do it.

Lydia, Its always toughest to go to the next tens place. I wonder why? It will be such a boost when you get there.

Sorry you had such a lousy day yesterday Elisa. Hope today is better.

So I have a scale coming in the mail. I am dying to get a more accurate reading.

Today my scale said 160, 160, 160. So of course wishfull thinking kicked in and said "you've lost 4 lbs" but Ms Cynic decided to override this with the fact that the scale has been wildy wrong and could have been off the whole time. I think the truth lies somewhere in the middle.

I probably have lost some and probably my scale is off and I will never really know. So send me speedy delivery thoughts I really want to have a number to hold on to. (At least I think I do)

elisa822 03-29-2007 12:59 PM

Well, here I am. A brand new day but only a slightly better mood. It's mostly just work stress etc. that's making everything else seem so terrible and I think it will get better soon but for the next week or so it will be a challenge.

I did try the 7:00 a.m. spin class. Great sweat but not a great instructor. A pretty good way to start the day though.

Lydia - you said exactly what I was thinking when the instructor said that he didn't train anymore. And, I forgot to say, that we ended up on the streetcar together after the class so that's where I got all the "gym is changing" gossip.

I tend to overanalyze myself so I was wondering why the whole gym thing was bugging me so much. Part is other stresses but I realized that a good part of it is that I finally feel like I have a good routine going and I'm so scared that something will happen and I'll stop enjoying my time there and stop going. For now though, it's status quo so I'll enjoy it while I can.

hikerchick - a new scale will really help. Remember that it doesn't matter what it says the first time you get on (good or bad). Use that as your new starting point and only weigh on that scale. As long as it's reliable in showing an accurate change, it doesn't matter if it's a few pounds more or less than you thought...hopefully less of course! I only count my at home weights and for the most part ignore the doctor's scale etc.

Cindy - that is such a great loss! As I've said before, I've been stuck for a long time and had hoped the increased workouts would really help. I think they have a bit but I have the same goal as Lydia - to get under 130 and I'm getting close but I'm not there yet. Keep up the good work!

Thanks to everyone for all your kind words about my crappy day! ;)

Hi to everyone else.

:D

WaterRat 03-29-2007 03:25 PM

Hi! :wave: Things are better here today. The commitee-written grant has been signed off and all I have to do is copy and mail it. :D The others are not nearly as stressful (nor for as much $$ :lol: )

Elisa - I too have chosen just one scale (at the gym) to use as "official." Of course, I get on others all the time, but they don't count. :) Speaking of which, I think I ended up 1.5-2# heavier after my Dallas blow-out, but I'll know tonight when I weigh. Surely any water retention from flying is gone by now.

I don't have tulips planted thank goodness. Moose love them as much as deer! My MIL used to watch the deer go right down the side of her driveway taking the flower of the top of each one! :lol: Took her several years to give in and plant something else. My "spring" flowers won't appear for at least another month, but we have bunches of them in the stores which greatly tempt me. I usually give in to the daffodils since they last longer and are so cheery.

It's still cold - zero again this morning. It's very clear and sunny though, and we'll be in the mid 20s by afternoon. Forecast is 40's by Sunday. :crossed:

sportmom 03-29-2007 09:06 PM

Hi all, I realize I didn't even get a breath to post today. 5 conference calls and a busy work season will do that to you. Blech. I always feel like celebrating (indulging) when days like this are over. It's the same feeling as passing a big exam in school - you want to run outside and drive around fast with the windows down and enjoy some fun with friends!

Got whacked in the heel last nite while repairing DD's razor scooter. Those blasted things have a mind on it's own and when I slightly lifted it, it swung around and whacked my sandaled foot real good. Ugh. So not putting on any tennies until tomorrow.

Run #3 of week 1 is tomorrow. All the cool runners say it's easier than 2 and better than 1 so I'm really looking forward to that. In other news, still trying to come off caffeine yet again, so living in migrainaville for now. I might give in and just have some so that I can wean instead of cold turkeying my brain. Motrin doesn't touch it, really.

TTFN

Lydia227 03-29-2007 09:07 PM

Hi Pat :wave:

What a funny story about the moose eating your MIL tulips. I caught a "moose" in my own front yard this afternoon. As I was preparing the front beds for pansies I glance down the way and see DS2 pulling the tops off of all of my daffodils. :rollpin: They were just about to bloom tomorrow or the next. RATS. His reason was that he just didn't like them. They were bad flowers. He thought they were weeds since they did not look like the pansies I was putting into the ground. I most likely deserve it after teasing Mel about her crocus. :devil: :lol: