3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   The Chat-Check In Thread March 15 - April!, 2007 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/107341-chat-check-thread-march-15-april-2007-a.html)

Mel 03-26-2007 08:27 PM

Congratulations, Fran! I remember the flappy leg feeling when I started back running around 7 years ago. As unsightly as it sounds, I found that lycra-spandex running pants really helped.

Lydia- I think you'll enjoy working with a trainer for a while. Have you watched the trainers at your gym and gotten a good idea who you'd like to work with? or gotten recommendations from other members?

Elisa- Weekend eating is what makes the difference for me, too. I've been really clean over the last month on weekends until this Saturday. Boom. And I'd gotten back to the point where all my clothes were really loose again. I can maintain and be sloppy on weekends, but never lose. Now I have to work off Saturday's indulgences all over again :(

All you runners make me jealous! I used to really enjoy running, but too many years of pavement pounding have taken a toll.

Did legs today and am ready to keel over!

Good night :)

Mel

sportmom 03-26-2007 08:55 PM

Elisa and Mel, it's actually not my legs - I probably used the wrong word in choosing flanks. It's those pods of fat below my waist and above my hips - like the back half of my spare tire gut. Hmmm....there must be something you can do. Great, I'll be running in a girdle.

No Elisa, no offense taken. I'm open to all suggestions, for you can see from my before photo what I'm used to dealing with! I had on my very tight binding Adidas motion control bra, then my champion over that, and a third tanklet - which I ripped off when I got hot and was surprised at how much that extra layer immobilized the bounce. So it's a requirment, I guess. I know I need to get a properly fitting bra, esp. if I'm sticking with this. And you're the 2nd person to recommend that; I have it bookmarked in my browser.

BfL_Cat 03-26-2007 09:01 PM

Hey - I'm another vote for the Champion Action Shape bra - the only one that keeps me in place! Finding it was a wonderful thing, and it goes actually up to size 42/44 D/DD (not that I would know that ;) )

Another NSV that I've noticed is that my engagement ring is getting looser - the diamond has started to rotate off to the side lately. I'm big boned, so the smallest ring size I've ever been was a 7, but I had to order this in a 7.5 so I could wear it (it was actually a smidge tight when I got it). I would really love to have to have it sized down to a 7 in time for the wedding!
Cindy

Lydia227 03-26-2007 09:56 PM

Fran: Oh There! Okay. Hmmm. :chin: Just keep running and before you get a chance to get used to it, the flanks will become smaller until it is no longer an issue. I've seen some really wonderful results in other women at my gym who have incorporated running into their program. They are just so inspiring for me.

Cindy: Be careful that the diamond ring doesn't fly off! When DH lost a lot of weight he almost lost his wedding band several times.

Mel: I'm really psyched about working with someone. My first session is April 9th and I will follow up with her a week later. I think then I will space the other four sessions out every four weeks.

As far as choosing someone there are not many choices. We have the director of Fitness and Sports and his assistant. If they get busy then they call is a PT from the outside.

I really had reservations about using the staff because I think I'm looking for someone who will provide more focus or detail into a program for me. (You and Meg have really spoiled me with regards to what to expect from a personal trainer. :s:) To account for this I am going in with a list of what I want to accomplish throughout these session such as specific exercises for different body parts that I have researched but haven't tried out on my own. Instead of injuring myself again, I want to be sure I have the form correct.

I also have questions regarding my current routine and how to break things up across the week. I understand the ideas of a four day split and rotating cardio through the week but in application I need a little assistance.

I chose to use the staff at the gym because that's where I workout and I want to become more confident with some of the equipment that I haven't used there. After these sessions I will choose a personal training studio on my side of town and then apply the concepts to the gym I currently go to. The personal training studio is more expensive and I really want to be in the best shape I can be before going to them for further assistance.

Elisa: Keep posting about the spinning class. I forget that we have these classes too and I really should try them out. I'm going to let you be the guinea pig first though. :lol: I also just know that I will need to get the padded shorts and I just cringe at the thought of walking down that long hallway in shorts with extra padding. :o :lol3: No really, I'm the kind of person who likes to wear the same three things all week long. The outfits are tried and tested and I'm comfortable in them. A clothes horse I am not. At least there. :dunno: Now weekends with DH, that's different. :cool:

elisa822 03-27-2007 07:52 AM

Lydia - once again, I feel we are one in the same. I also have about three workout outfits that I just cycle through. And I am so nervous trying something new and only went to spinning because a co-worker "pushed" me into it. First class - okay but still an unbelievable cardio workout. No padded shorts or gel seat so it was quite uncomfortable at first. Second class I adjusted my seat better (I think it was too high) and no discomfort at all. And really, the sweat was literally falling off me and I could feel my legs getting more toned (no really! ;) ) so I think I'm going to try to work it in at least once a week. It's difficult and crazy that I love so many things that I can't find time to do them all! Bizarre...but in a good way. :dizzy:

Mel 03-27-2007 09:45 AM

I loved spin classes! But I can't imagine doing it without the padded shorts or a gel seat. One of the things that I miss working at a private training studio is...no classes! Spinning was great cardio without having to think about it!

I'm sniffling today and trying to fight it. Yuk.

Mel

Lydia227 03-27-2007 11:36 AM

Awl Right. You've convinced me. I'll check the schedule and give the class a try. :yes: I think I will wait till after the first class to get the padded shorts. I don't want to be the odd duck. :s: Although I trust you Mel. During the whole class I'm sure I'll be muttering, Mel was right. I need the :censored: shorts. :lol:

Had a nice little workout today. :goodvibes: 45 minutes of intervals on the Elliptical, 20 minutes fast walk on the treadmill, followed up with 20 minutes of core work. Side planks anyone? :p The knee was a little aching so I'm icing it now. :dizzy:

Have a great day everyone. :sunny:

elisa822 03-27-2007 06:36 PM

Lydia - make sure you let us know if you try it. I was told to give spinning a few tries and then if you still don't like it, you probably never will but, if you don't love it after one time, try it again. As I said my second venture was much more enjoyable (if you can call it that ;) ) than my first. Oh, and side planks? Love them!!

Thankfully tomorrow is my power day because all this cardio I've been trying lately (to really get the scale to finally move) is not leaving me with enough lifting time. Oh well, I'm sure it will all settle in eventually. And my power class tomorrow is with the instructor that I want to train me but every week I chicken out from asking him. Why? I don't really know. Sure, there's the crush factor but that's not really significant since I'm married and he's gay! :o

Have a great day everyone!

:D

WaterRat 03-27-2007 08:30 PM

Hi LWL! Home from Dallas where I had a great time. Lots of girl time which I sorely needed, lots of shopping (now I have clothes that aren't from the same 2 stores as everyone else shops in :lol: ) and - not so good - awesome food! I haven't weighed yet, but I'm now more than 24 hours from getting off the plane (7 hours, 3 of them in a middle seat! :) so I will at the gym tonight.

Fran - I'm on week 3 of C25K, and the first day of a 3 minute run was really hard. Hopefully tonight will be better. I think it will also be better outdoors where I can run at my speed, not the treadmill's. But it snowed another 6" over the weekend. :mad:

Lydia - loved your story about training your DH! I tried spinning twice, and didn't much like it :shrug: I do have padded shorts for outdoor biking (which I do like) and the padding is more between your legs rather than up over your, um, cheeks, so not as noticible when you walk down the hall.

Rabbit - 1.5 hours biking does count in my book! Esp as riding home you're not as concerned about getting too sweaty. Hope you continue to feel better.

I'm committed to increasing my mileage per week starting this weekend (for the half in June), so I'm going to sit down tonight or tomorrow and figure out how to fit in the necessary increase in cardio while still having time to lift. I'm seeing me at the gym or on the trail most days of the week for awhile. Sure wish the weather would improve! On the up side, I got new shoes in Dallas and threw out my oldest ones. I have a mid-use pair to alternate with the new ones til they are broken in, then those will go too. And one of the things I bought - in a hight-end consignment shop - was a pair of Liz Claiborne black capris, in the next smallest size! :) Wore them out to dinner with a stunning new jacket I got too. I felt great.

I'd better wind up my day here and get to the gym. I went to the grocery store on my lunch hour so I'd have enough gym time and still not be eating dinner at 9 pm!

:wave: to you all.

Lydia227 03-27-2007 08:56 PM

Elisa: Oh come on...go ask him. :s: Consider the nervous jitters just a little extra cardio. :lol: With regard to the spinning class, I will certainly let you all know immediately how I survive. I'm sure I'll be full of complaints.

Pat: Nice to see you back from your trip. It sounds like you had a great time shopping as well. :yes: Enjoy the new pants! Since you promise the shorts won't add more padding to the backside I'll check out a pair over the weekend.

Have a great evening everyone :wave:

4rabbit 03-28-2007 06:28 AM

Hi LWL,

Pat - good to see you're back from dalles
Lydia, Elisa - you are almost enticing me to stop the classes and at home workouts and actually consider talking to someone at the gym. Now that is scary!!!

I biked to work & back yesterday (1.5 hours) and I went to power class today. I am proud of myself. If I keep this up, i might loose the 2 kgs that are back again before it's summer!

Have a great day all,
rabbit

sportmom 03-28-2007 11:22 AM

Hi all, had my second run today on the c25k. Did well, but it seemed to wear me out alot more. Still adjusting my stride. Went from 5.0 on the t-mill to 5.5. I felt like I was just literally plunking/plodding along with awful form and thought maybe my stride was off. 5.5 seemed better, but winded me out more. Oh well, that I can live with and adjust to. As long as I've got no aches or strains. So far, so good on that front. May seriously have to i-pod shop though. The TV is just not doing it for me on the runs. I actually look down at the logo on the front base of the treadmill and that seems to be where I'm most comfortable with neck position. Hmmm........

Nelie, did my legs workout afterward and it felt good. Even did sit-ups. So I think I will try to stick to this. I'm not so sure I could run on jello legs after the weights, so I will stick to doing them after for now. Thanks again for the suggestion!

nelie 03-28-2007 11:27 AM

Fran,
I'm glad it is working for you. I wasn't sure because I've never run a day in my life :)

Last few days have been weightless for me because I wasn't feeling good but tonight I might try it. This past weekend, I got LOTS of walking in. Downtown DC always does that for me, especially when I try to pass by Metro stations and go to the next metro station instead of the closest one.

hikerchick 03-28-2007 12:39 PM

Hi everyone. I have been having a rough few days. Todays run was not so good after LBWO yesterday. Fran your plan sounds good and I am right back there with you. I find it psychologically easier to handle the difficulties of lifting after running rather than vice versa.

I think I have reached a fitness plateau or at least a percieved fitness plateau. Also my scales broken so I can't even scale watch. Well I can but it does this 155 170 160 165 155 170 kind of wild unpredictable thing. Time for a new one.

Nellie how's your weather? Have you been able to get any hikes in? I would really like to plan a nice long one with the family. Put the little one in the backpack and go.

What's spinning?

Lydia227 03-28-2007 12:58 PM

Hickerchick: Sorry to know that you've been having a rough time these past few days. Good to see it hasn't affected your motivation to keep going. Even though we might not see great strength gains or change in bodyfat/weightloss, it still feels great just to do it. ;) :hug:

Since I've never entered a spinning class I probably should answer your question but I did find this definition

A typical class involves a single instructor at the front of the class who leads the participants in a number of different types of cycling. The routines are designed to simulate terrain and situations encountered in actual bicycle rides, including hill climbs, sprints and interval training. Coasting downhill, obviously, is not simulated. The instructor uses music and enthusiastic coaching to motivate the students to work harder. Most instructors will lead what is called an interval ride, this is where students will sprint, run, climb, and jump all in the same ride but there will not be definable pattern to the exercises.

Sounds like fun...right? :s: