3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   The Chat-Check In Thread March 15 - April!, 2007 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/107341-chat-check-thread-march-15-april-2007-a.html)

BfL_Cat 03-22-2007 11:26 AM

Good morning all!

Got another workout in this week - but it was a challenge to do quads without bending my knees with weight on them! I thought extensions would be ok, but they weren't. My solution was to use the elliptical like a stair climber - very high incline with high enough resistance that I could feel it in my quads. I think that will have to be my quad/glute workout for a while.

I had to get up super early (for me) this morning to get my workout in before a call I had at 8:00 today. Now I'm just tired!

Nelie - good for you for coming out of lurkdom and talking about how you've been feeling. I've been there, but I let myself fall down that slippery slope, and have the extra pounds to prove it. If only I'd at least stayed in contact with the gals here back then... Oh, well, water under the bridge, lesson learned and all that. I will never again think it will be ok to go back to my old way of eating and not working out - it just doesn't work for me anymore!

Mel - how scary for you! Any idea what it might have been? Glad it's feelig better now. Not to scare you, but a guy I work with had something similar happen while playing baseball with kids, and ended up having most of his pancreas taken out. So, you may want to have yourself checked out, just to be on the safe side.

Is anyone here a fan of ground chicken? I bought some this week because I get SO tired of cutting up chicken breasts in order to make dinner, but boy, I did not like it! I added a bit of bread crumbs and Italian seasoning, then made into patties to make chicken parm out of them, but neither DF or I liked the chicken at all.

Tiki - hope you're feeling better soon.

Hello to Rabbit, Lydia, Hiker, Elisa, Pat, Fran and anyone else I might have missed.
Cindy

sportmom 03-22-2007 11:50 AM

Hi everyone, I've got the scratchy throat today too, which is odd, because I know my vitamin and cardio routine has kept me bug free all winter. I think my claritin is partly to blame. I started it over the weekend and I am REALLY dried out now. I don't need it right now, but am starting it hopefully a month in advance of the bad pollen season so that I can get thru that without too much misery. I react badly to pollen. Get very itchy eyes - like pencils stabbing me itchy, and drippy nose and all that. So better to get the stuff in my body before I spike my histamines in reaction to the pollen count which is going up every day, my friends!!

No, not out of my clothes in my closet just yet. I have all the way down to a size 12 in there so I'll be set for a long while. I did give dd a hug. She's a sweetie.

elisa822 03-22-2007 12:57 PM

Just had to share...went shopping at lunch to pick up a few things and saw some nice shorts on sale at The Gap. Size 8 - not even snug!! Super exciting for me since the scale has not moved in months!! :carrot:

That's all. ;)

4rabbit 03-22-2007 01:39 PM

Hi LWL,

Thanks for all the hugs & encouraging words!

The good news here today is that I might be ill! I felt lousy for the past day, & also today, total lack of brain, teary eyed etc so I thought I was heading for another round of depression, which scared me mindless. But the good news is DD is ill, down with shivers & headache, and now DS is also sniffing, feeling lousy & has a headache, and I have started shivering! Yay! I can handle a flu/cold type thing, I just hated the idea of another long time depression! I perked up the moment I noticed the shinvering connection.

Mel - glad you are Ok now, the cramp sounded scary!
Tiki - get well soon!
nelie - good for you to keep on going on
HRbabe - cute 7 yr old!

Oh, and I started out for work on bike today. I had to return halfway (and afterwards took the car) to get something I had forgotten, but nonetheless, I did put in 45 mins of biking this morning.

Have a great day all,
rabbit

WaterRat 03-22-2007 02:30 PM

:hug: Rabbit! Funny to thing finding out your kids are sick is a good thing!

Nelie - welcome back to working out! I know how hard it is to get yourself back to the mindset. My DH and I have been having some "issues" for a few days, and I'm appalled to notice that my natural inclination is to eat! :eek: I'm trying to at least keep it to healthy foods. :)

I'm super busy this morning. Leaving at 1:00 to go to Anchorage, sign codicils to our wills, go to the eye doctor, go to start scoping out new appliances, meet the guy who was our best man who's in town for a few days, have dinner with him, maybe a movie, and then be at the airport by 10:30 or 11 for a 12:45 am flight to Dallas! Whew. Makes me tired just to write it! :lol: I'm all packed except my curling iron and sunglasses! And I do have my workout clothes and shoes.

I'll be back on Tues.

sportmom 03-22-2007 03:05 PM

Congrats Elisa! What did you use to wear?? Or what were you expecting? I kept waiting for the other half of the story - I'm nosey!!

elisa822 03-22-2007 03:11 PM

Fran - sorry for the lack of details! Long term, I've been many many sizes but most recently a 10. I know it's only one size but I've been a 10 for about a year and, like I said, in the past year I really have not lost a pound on the scale but I have been working out for a few months so either it was a one time "these shorts are sized bigger" thing or I actually got smaller! An 8 always seemed like a "small person's size".

Nothing really more to it than that! except to update, yes my legs are quite sore and I quite like it. :dizzy:

:D

nelie 03-22-2007 11:19 PM

elisa - single digits, that is something to be proud of :)

My current vision is the size 18 misses petite pants I bought last month on sale. I really want to fit in them in a little over 5 months from now. I can get them over my thighs/butt but that is about it.

Tonight, I did upper body chest/triceps/shoulders and then abs. Also did some stretching. I was actually feeling too tired to exercise but once I started, the tiredness went away.

I also say I really appreciate the words of encouragement. It helps. I just want to get into the 240s for now and then I can say I've gotten away from the evil mid 250s.

tikanique 03-23-2007 09:31 AM

Hi all,

I feel a LOT better today. I'm back at work and will attempt a workout tomorrow AM before the madness of the weekend begins. Will post more later after I read the 2 pages of posts that popped up overnight, seems like.

Tiki

Lydia227 03-23-2007 09:37 AM

Good Morning LWL: :sunny: Its been raining for two days and my backyard has a nice little pond forming. The ducks from the river should be arriving anytime soon. :lol:

So the other day DH asked if I would "train" him. Keep in mind that he has only been to the gym with me twice in the three years I've been there. It's pretty much my quiet space. :chin: I'm feeling between excited to share something I really enjoy with him and concerned that I don't really know enough to help him with what his goals may be. :dunno: Oh well. He asked and I'll try to make it fun for him. I still can't believe he wants me to do this. I mean what is he thinking...he forgot to take out the trash and recyclables Tuesday morning. (Interpret, I had to race around the house in the predawn hours changing cat boxes and hauling trash from the basement) :devil: It's payback time :devil: Ooops. He just pulled in. Gotta go!

BfL_Cat 03-23-2007 10:55 AM

Hey guys - TGIF! :carrot:

Got today's workout in this morning, ate clean yesterday, so all in all I'm feeling pretty good about things. My muscles feel "tight" again, which is a great feeling - I know that once I get the fat off of them I'll have some nice muscles showing!

Back to the grindstone - everyone have a great one!
Cindy

hikerchick 03-23-2007 11:52 AM

Oh Cindy I hear you. I can feel those cute little muscles under there. It is a great motivation to loose fat when you know you have great muscles to show off when you do. My other motivation is running in 100 degree heat in the summer. It just seems a bit more humane without 20 extra pounds of "insulation".

Nellie, you can do it. I am glad you jumped back into the game. In the next 10 lbs you will have jumped a whole 50. Psycologically speaking that is. I don't know for me there is something about those 50 lb markers. I think its the doctors scale that gets me. Anyhow the next 10 lbs will reap great rewards. You can do it!!!!

I even felt accomplished after I gave birth and the scale dropped from 205 to 195. You would think I would be so happy about the baby that I wouldn't notice. But I sure did!

Anyone have suggestion on a good portable chinup bar?

TGIF!

Yesterday I spent the whole day thinking it was friday. My 9 year old set me straight. I was devistated I need the weekend.

Mel 03-23-2007 10:13 PM

Quote:

My other motivation is running in 100 degree heat in the summer.
:yikes: I'd do just about anything to avoid that! I know....it's dry heat! :sunny: Here is southeastern PA, if it's 100 degrees, the humidity is close behind.

Hikerchick- my dh bought whatever Sports Aurthority sells for a pullups bar years ago for my dd. It was cheap, and screws into the doorframe as well as twists in. Don't depend on the twist holding- use the screws! I put it in a closet door in this house, but she had it on the inside in her bedroom door.

Congrats on the single digit shorts, Elisa :bravo: So do you still have snow? We do :(

Tiki- Glad to hear you are feeling better. I'm stuffing Zicam up my nose every four hours. Sick people EVERYWHERE!

Fran- Hope you haven't really caught it!

Lydia- I think you could be pretty :devil: in the gym...but if ya hurt him too much, you'll just end up having to wait on him and listen to moaning! Seriously, one of the biggest mistakes I made as a beginning trainer was to assume that just because a guy was a lot bigger than me, that he would be stronger. I nearly killed a few guys. And they would NEVER admit that it was too heavy if a small woman was able to use that weight :rofl:

Cindy- Sounds like you're back on track :) Don't those muscles feel good :D

Nelie- It sounds like those pants should be pretty close...hiking season is...NOW...just watch out for slippery mud. Once your weekend trekking starts again, I bet you'll really get back in the groove.

I had a really long day. Trained from 7:30 am til 7pm with an hour off every once in a while. Did back, triceps, and cardio. Food was clean and on the low side because I'm going out to eat tomorrow night and I know I need a few extra calories wiggle room. I'm just discovering all the little things that I left at dd's in Columbus, like my presciption sunglasses (grrrr) and my StarBucks car mug. Replace the latter with a cool, shiny lavender one that was miraculously on sale, but the glasses are a big pain. Given the current weather, I may not need them for months, tho.

Any weekend plans?

Mel

4rabbit 03-24-2007 04:21 AM

Hi LWL,

I'm up and about again with a sunnier outlook and even some zest to go and get the day.

Mel - pity about the glasses, good about the coffee mug!
Lydia - interesting development with DH in the gym!
Tiki-get well soon!
Nelie - keep on going!

A quiet weekend at home is planned for me. i want to do a zillion things, but I'll have to pace myself. Yesterday was the same...started out on a zillion things, but I was so dead tired at 2 in the afternoon that I gave in in the afternoon & spent the rest of the time on the couch. I'll clearly have to prioritize here!

Unfortunately, with all the travel, jetlag, flu I gained 2 kgs, so I'll have to start all over to get those 5 kgs off. Oh well, probabely if I had not taken the 2 off I would be even 2 kgs heavvier. I'll try to keep in the biking to work thing, if I can make that a habit I'm sure that would work wonders.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

Lydia227 03-24-2007 09:01 AM

It's THE WEEKEND!! :cool:

OMG taking DH to the gym yesterday was a blast. :woohoo:

I showed him the first half of my UBWO and together we did one set. You know, it is bit of a challenge to correct someone's form.

:chin:I think there must be an art to this as well. He tried really hard to imitate what I was doing but it was just not fluid. I lowered the weights for him to focus just on the form but it was still a little jerky. I do remember a moment when the lifts that I do finally felt right. It takes a little tweaking unique to each body and a lot of visual concentration on the muscle that is to be manipulated. This is a difficult thing to do with someone watching you.

The added bonus to having DH there was that he could spot me during my workout. This was great until he began to drop beads of sweat down his nose onto my forehead. I asked him to grab a towel because this was not okay :nono: and in a rather audible voice he said, "Gee, you never complain about that at home." :s: Nice. :o

During the bicep curls he had me laughing so hard with the "tips" he wanted to offer I couldn't finish. Got a good ab workout from it though. After the workout we shot hoops with DS1 for a half and hour until we had to retrieve DS2 from the nursery.

When we were leaving he said I did a great job. (yeah, how would he know) anyway he said he didn't feel pressured to do more than he could or with a weight that was too heavy. (see Mel, I was careful. I was already thinking about keeping him injury free for the weekend ;) ) But, he did have to tell me when he was done.

Overall it was fun but it's pretty clear that he should work with someone besides me. And when I need a light workout with serious entertainment, I'll invite him to join me again. :lol3: