3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community

3 Fat Chicks on a Diet Weight Loss Community (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/)
-   Weight and Resistance Training (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training-80/)
-   -   The Chat-Check In Thread March 15 - April!, 2007 (https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/weight-resistance-training/107341-chat-check-thread-march-15-april-2007-a.html)

Mel 03-16-2007 07:20 AM

The Chat-Check In Thread March 15 - April!, 2007

It's not spring yet, can I have a tantrum? :censored: I'm sitting here in the dark, listening to the sleet on our skylights and thinking about my icey drive tomorrow across PA. Oh well...maybe it's spring in Ohio!

Robin- You said You didn't do well in weightloss challenges...boy do I hear you on that! After a few years of joining them, I've finally learned better. I'm just NOT going to lose as quickly, and at this point I don't want to. I know if I do, I lose muscle, and end up not being able to eat as much or being actually fatter although I weigh less.

Hikerchick- ha! I was close! I drove through that area two years ago. Lots of room to hike :D

Have to dash to the gym for a very full morning of clients, then back and cardio for me. It's been a good, baggy pants kind of week here.

OK, LWL, we have a few week left before shorts and tank top weather to :kickbutt:! :strong:

Mel

elisa822 03-16-2007 08:20 AM

Mel - you know you hit a nerve for me with the shorts and tank top line! I did buy one pair of shorts last week (size 8! ;) ) and while hardly "short shorts", they were a little shorter than I would normally have purchased. We'll see if I really feel okay (and by okay I mean no nasty cellulite showing) when it's time to wear them in public.

:D

nelie 03-16-2007 09:25 AM

I'm here! I'm here!

I'm stressed this week, I even had a quasi meltdown last night. Next week will be better, hopefully.

BfL_Cat 03-16-2007 09:46 AM

Happy new thread everyone! And, TGIF!

Not looking forward to the 10-15" of snow they are saying we'll have by morning! After the Spring teaser of this week, it will be hard to deal with. We are already back in the 20's temp-wise, and the snow will start around noon. :(

Despite the weather, I AM going to go start looking for a wedding dress today - I've been putting it off for way too long, so it's got to be today! I'm looking forward to the afternoon off, even if it could be filled with trying on a bunch of dresses that are many sizes too small for me! Wish me luck!

I'll be resuming my workouts next week - the doctor says I didn't do any real damage to my knee - just a bad case of the kneecap being in the wrong place at the wrong time. You'd think I could tape it to help keep it in place, wouldn't you? I'm definitely going to look into that before I'm able to do lunges and squats again. He thinks that pain will most likely last for a few more weeks, so it will give me some time to research taping it.

You gals have a great weekend - and feel free to come up to Albany to help me shovel!

Mel - take care on that drive! I hope the roads aren't too bad for you.
Cindy

shananigans 03-16-2007 09:50 AM

Nelie – Hope it’s nothing serious, take it easy.

Hikerchick – Baby weights, that’s priceless! Way to go on lifting heavier, that peanut gallery seems like quite the motivator.

Had a few flurries driving in to work this AM, ice on my car the last couple of days. Alas, spring is not quite here.

I had a really good run last night, upped my time a little (up to 25 min, hopefully back up to 30 min by the end of the month). I wonder if it didn’t have something to do with my unusually high calorie lunch? I went out with a co-worker and got a veggie burger with fries (hey, I only ate half the fries), so I wasn’t hungry for my afternoon snack and I was able to run no problem. Usually I’m really dragging about half way through, but not yesterday. Got a good UB work out and some yoga in to.

Think I’ll do some kickboxing tonight, love that kicking and punching! I have to get fitted for my bridesmaid dress tomorrow, hope I don’t kick or punch anyone at the bridal shop (I hate those places, I hope I survive finding my own wedding gown).

Happy Friday! Have a good weekend everyone.

Lydia227 03-16-2007 11:07 AM

Okay. It's been an entire week without a workout and I'm about to go off the deep end here. I'm almost caught up here at the house the basement is next. :censored: help us all...I hate that job and it never gets easier no matter how many storage boxes and labels I use. Okay. enough domestic grousing. :blah:

Mel: I would not want to make that drive on ice either. :yikes:
I just checked the forecast for Central Ohio and it is supposed to be 38 and cloudy on Saturday but in the 42 and sunny on Sunday. Hope the in between is the same for you.

Fran: I was thinking about your comment about losing weight without lifting and realized something. :chin: I'm kind of like a walking example of both approaches. I've been able to lift upper body for the last ten months while eating clean. That part looks pretty fit. I have nice definition in the pecs as well as shoulders and biceps. The triceps still need a little work but it's coming.

The bottom half needed to heal during the last ten months and all I could do was cardio. There is such a difference in the "way" the two halves look. With long pants on I look okay. But with shorts, you can really see the lack of muscle development as well as a lot of flabbiness that just shouldn't be there when compared to the top half. They just don't match. :lol3:

I'm really psyched about starting a LBWO this coming week. I always just feel so :strong: strong after a good LBWO. My knee is a little sore but I think that it will be okay to begin leg extensions and curls just to get the quads and hamstrings a little stronger for squats and lunges next month. My goal this summer is to "match." :cool:

Cindy: Your winters sound merciless. I get more than two inches at a time and I freak. I'm out there shoveling every half hour to try to stay ahead of it... :rofl: Good luck wedding dress shopping. Just have fun with it!:D

Have a great weekend everyone!

hikerchick 03-16-2007 11:18 AM

On the topic of the scale vs measurements. Wouldn't it be great if there was a ticker that you could plug your measurements into and track that progress just like weight.

i measure but then I forget my measurements. I really ought to write them down. I am pretty sure I am down 2 inches in my waist and hips. Not sure on the boobage since I had been nursing and that measurement changed by the hour.

I have measured my arms and legs but I can't seem to commit those numbers to memory. Anyhow it sure would be nice to plug those into a tracker.

And way back when y'all were talking about what a great and supportive site this is. I had wanted to throw in this comment. I am sure that it takes a lot of good work from some awesome moderators to do that so just wanted to take a moment to say thanks to the powers that be.

I am in a totally weird mood today since I ate a weird cliff bar and had a not quite long enough run (not recommended it wasn't even yummy which I had hoped). I think I had better go exercise off some of this energy. I am bouncing off the walls here.:dizzy:

Ta ta!

4rabbit 03-16-2007 11:55 AM

Hi LWL,

Just checking in to say I'm back. i was out on a business trip last week, got home this morning after a 22 + hour return trip...and I am feeling very tired and jet-lagged. i had no excercise at all over the last week, so i hope I'll find the energy to start again over the weekend. You guys keep me motivated !

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

Lydia227 03-16-2007 12:32 PM

Oh Rabbit! :faint: Go take a nap! :hug:

WaterRat 03-16-2007 01:16 PM

Morning all. Ick on the East coast weather! We're cold here, but no storms in the forecast!

Hiker - writing it down is good. :lol: I can't remember my names some days, never mind my measurements.

Lydia - you are a cleaning fool, woman! Wanna do mine? I'll pay! Sounds like you need a gym break.

Cindy - I have problems with my kneecaps "wandering." A PT gave me isometric exercises to do to strengthen the muscles around them (and quads to an extent) which are very easy, esp since you can do them lying in bed. :lol: Really it's just tightening and holding the quad muscles for a count of 10, and doing it at least 10 times, working up to 20 or 25. When I was going to the PT he also had me doing leg lowering - the reverse of leg lifts - where you raise your legs, one at a time, keeping it straight but not locked, and lower it as slowly as you can - much harder than it sounds. :) When I do these regularly, I have much less trouble with my knees. My problem is when they feel good, I stop doing the exercises. :rollpin:

Rabbit - get some rest! I hate those long, long days getting home. I'm going to Dallas for a 4 day weekend leaving next Thurs night, and it's 12 hours each way. I must be nuts.

So I was very excited at losing 8 pounds, then had a stupid argument with DH, and what's my first instinct - eat! Grrrr. Luckily I recognized what I was doing, but a half bag of Good & Plenty had been consumed by then..... At least I've got a long training walk/run scheduled for the weekend, and the bike trail is free of ice so I can do it outdoors - yay! That should burn off the candy!

:wave: Have a great day!

sportmom 03-16-2007 02:15 PM

Speaking of measurements, I just took my quarterly ones. So here's what 30 pounds +/- will buy you:

Chest: -2.5"
Waist: -3.5" (yeah!)
Hips: -1.5"
Thighs: -2 "
Tummy bulge: -2 "
Bodyfat: From 50% to 38% (according to Tanita scale)
Down about 2 sizes, hard to tell since I started off in only stretch pants. But I went from an XL and 1X's down to Larges and some Mediums, and got into some jeans for the first time in 15 years.

WaterRat 03-16-2007 02:21 PM

Yay! Fran. I got brave and tried on my too-tight black jeans this morning. Once again, like my LL Bean cords, they fit except for the 2-3" gap between the button and the buttonhole. :lol: The jeans are weird though. The same size, same brand in denim fit - and fasten - just fine. I just wish what I was losing would come off my waist - I could wear a lot of things then. :)

Lydia227 03-16-2007 08:21 PM

FRAN: Awesome Job Lady! :yay: It's workin' for ya. :lifter: Maybe in a couple of months I'll be able to post some new stats too. :crossed: I just have to stay consistent. ;)

PAT: You'll pay?! Once I tore into the basement there was no stopping me. I think I have two bags of trash and two bags of clothes for donation. I'm calling it a success. The kids toys are reorganized and the boys' crafts supplies are restocked, cleaned up and labeled. It looks so good I don't want the kids to get near it. :rofl: I think I really did need a break from the gym. I just feel calmer knowing that I am finally caught up around here. My next project, to put together a fitness binder...:)

Have a great night everyone.

Mel 03-16-2007 09:53 PM

Lydia, wanna come home with me? BIG, cluttered basement, kitchen counters getting lost...kids toys still in closets and one of the kids has been living near you for the last six and a half years!

Welcome back, Rabbit :wave: Hope you are catching up on your sleep. Where in the world were you that it took 22 hours to get home?

Fran- Awsome! It is so REAL when you srite it down. I really regret not having before pictures or measurements. I was too much in denial to even do that. I didn't even weigh myself until after about 3 weeks of drastic food and exercise changes:o Good for you!

Cindy- I used to have a lot of problems with my knees and wrapped them with ace bandages when I lifted legs. That helped a lot. One day, after about a year of consistent lifting, I forgot them and was pleasantly surprised that I had no pain during or after my workout.

Hikerchick- You could set up a ticker of "total inches lost" or something like that. I'll look into whether there is a way to make, update and paste charts into the reply box. Then we could keep track here. (For the brave, the few....)

It's still snowing. :yikes:

Mel

sportmom 03-16-2007 10:54 PM

I'm so glad my back gave out on me. You see, I was to have flown to New Orleans yesterday and back tonite, for work. Luckily, my body was smarter and threw a literal wrench into the plans (inability to sit or bend making travel unrealistic). Turns out that along with delays, my return connection from Charlotte was canceled tonite, hotels are full (yeah, I checked bc I want to feel even more worried the next time I travel), as were trains. I might have gotten a car, but what would I do with it. Flights sold out until Sunday nite. Flights are ALL so booked these days that if your flight is canceled, you're basically stranded for DAYS somewhere. Insert visions of Lydia's husband here. Thankfully, the alternative means I'm warm in my bed right now instead of sleeping on the floor at the CLT airport for the next 2 nites. UGH I'm starting a new mantra of only traveling where the trains go. And even they are not perfect.

BUT.......now I'm in between-sizes limbo. Got a meeting to go to on Monday and I've got a choice between baggy/saggy vs. fear of popping a button/zipper if I sit down. <<sigh>> So I am hodgepodging and breaking out the body shapers to see what I can come up with. Such is the life of a work in progress! ;) All the really thoughtfully put together outfits will come in another 6 months. I refuse to buy anything for this meeting though, cuz it will be too big in another 6 weeks. :D

4rabbit 03-17-2007 07:19 AM

Hi LWL,

I went to bed early, but woke up at 4 am! Jetlag. Mel, I went to the far east, and I did not spend the entire 22 hours in the plane, but it was 22 hours from my hotel to my front door nonetheless: taxi in traffic jam, hanging around airport, very long flight, train and taxi home. I am still recovering from my jet lag.

Nelie - remember the vacuuming talk some weeks back ? Well, i bought myself a roomba for my birthday next week, and it arrived while I was away on my trip. We just tested the little guy and I think I've got something here! it zoomed around and when I cleaned it out it had an amazing amount of hairs and crumbs and dust!!! Thanks for the tip! DS really really loves this gadget, and we all watched it scoot around the room. I love the clean under the couch & cabinet feature of the thing. I only have to make some adjustmensts as to wires & carpets in my house, but I can see its usefullness around here!.

fran - Your results are AWESOME !
Pat - I read your scales moved in the right direction as well...that is great!

I'm getting sleepy again...going to take a nap soon!

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

hikerchick 03-17-2007 05:37 PM

I just took some measurements and figured I'd share. I need to write it down somewhere and little pieces of paper always wind up in the fire.

Waist 32"
Hips 41"
Bust 40"
Arms 12.5"
Thighs 23"
Calves 13.5"

So its actually only 1 inch in the hips that I have lost so far but a whopping 2 inches in the waist.

That's a lot of numbers I am not even sure what to shoot for in terms of measurements.

So a good start. I suppose. Are there any more measurements I should be taking? I am working on being more systematic with things. I tend to be somewhat right brained which is really a euphemism for scatterbrained. But having clear goals really helps. Running 5k was a good one now I can do that. Push ups are good. Do my age in push ups. OK that's next. 37 Pull ups will just have to wait untill I have lost some weight or until the earths gravity changes.

Lydia227 03-17-2007 07:46 PM

Hickerchick: You are doing great! :bravo: Great job with running 5k. You must really feel wonderful. I'm a fan of pushups too but haven't been able to eek out my age in pushups yet. This afternoon while I was at the gym someone had left a set of dumb bells by the mats. I haven't done pushups in a while and thought :chin: Maybe I will try to do the pushups using the dumb bells under my hands. Lets just say I didn't think that it made it easier. :s:

Fran: Injuries are really frustrating when they occur but at least it kept you out of the storm for the weekend as you pointed out. :hug: I'm so looking forward to all of this cold weather to be gone for a while.

Mel: Did you make the trip in one piece okay? I hope it wasn't one sheet of ice the whole way. :fr:

:drinkup: Happy St. Patty's Day Everyone!:luck2you:

Mel 03-18-2007 05:39 PM

Hi there :wave: Hello from Columbus :) Hiya Lydia! (waving NW towards Worthington?)
The turnpike was clear except for a small snowstorm near Pittsburgh. I think Pittsburgh and Buffalo always have snow, unless they are stinkin hot :lol3:

Columbus was a sea of :drinkup: beery cheer last night, all dressed in green. Dd and I went out for giant salads and skipped the green beer :p

No workouts, except hauling groceries from Sams Club 4 blocks to her apartment, then crawling all over her new apartment taking measurements to see if her furniture will fit and measuring windows for drapes.

We're about to go out to have bison burgers! Yum :)

Mel

Lydia227 03-19-2007 09:24 AM

Mel! You lived! I was worried about that drive for you since everyone was stranded at the airports. Way to reminiscent of my DH trip home last month. :dizzy:

So how were the bison burgers? :dunno: You went to Ted's didn't you? :s: I've never been there but my mom and stepdad have eaten there.

Saturday was a little crazy here. Dublin of course had their parade in the morning. It was way too cold to take the boys and stand outside for that long so we opted out. In the late afternoon we went out for dinner and drove past a bar on Sawmill called Flannigans. The music from the place was so loud we could hear it three lanes over and inside our car! I guess the kids were having a good time. :lol:

Good luck getting the new apartment ready. That is a workout in itself. If DD is moving in the area that I'm thinking of there is an awesome new fitness club being built down the road from her. I think it's Lifetime Fitness? It looks fantastic. Too far for me to venture to everyday and I'm not a fan of stop and go traffic on Sawmill. :dizzy: But if I lived closer I would check it out.

Sounds like you had a nice time. Have a great drive back!

This week for me is another stay at home week. :yikes: It's spring break for DS1 and DS2 is recovering from a nasty cold. I'll make the best of it, not use it as an excuse to eat off program and try some bodyweight exercises as well as the fitball DH got for me. Wish me luck :crossed:

shananigans 03-19-2007 11:03 AM

Fran – Congrats on the new smaller measurements!

Mel – Glad you made your drive ok.

I got a run in on Saturday, but the rest of my weekend was consumed by St. Pattie’s day and March Madness. Sadly the Badgers did not fare so well against UNLV yesterday. :( Oh well, it was still fun to watch the game at State St. Brats.

It’s gearing up to be a crazy week at work here, I’ve got my fist big event to run on April 1, trying to get all the registrations and arrangements on order. Plus I’ll be out of town in LA for a long weekend starting Friday, I really want to make sure I’ve got all my ducks in a row before I get on that plane!

hikerchick 03-19-2007 06:17 PM

Morning lifters,

Had a good upper body workout this morning. I think I still need to do more. I catch workout time in bits and pieces. 20 minutes here and there. I think I could find another 20 minutes later in the day. Hopefully my kids will cooperate.

My pecs were super sore yesterday it was the absolute superest feeling. It made me feel like wonder woman. So today I attempted lifts with the 20lb dumbells...its cool that I can really lift that much. Now I'll have to go out and get heavier ones.:dizzy:

Men keep telling me to "be careful" and not to "hurt myself" when its my husband I just go ahead and tell him he's a sexist pig. Of course I don't want to hurt myself. That's why I do strength training. But I am preaching to the choir.

I kind of feel like I could be doing more though I am not sure what. Is there a fitday out there for workouts. You know something to track your progress. I am a terrible write it down for myself kind of person but if its online then I know where to find my list. Sort of pathetic but there you have it.

Good luck with your stay at home week Lydia. It is hard for me to be so close to the fridge all day. I am a serious boredom eater. Exercise is great for this...as is this site.

elisa822 03-19-2007 07:31 PM

Hey Everyone!

It's been quiet around here lately. I've been checking in but not much too say. I know I'm hooked on this workout thing because it almost killed me today to cancel my gym plans to go for lunch with a friend. Today was the only day she could meet so I didn't want to say no but I need the gym on Mondays...weekends are never kind to me, diet wise.

So, when I got home, I grabbed my old dumbells and did a quick UBWO, nothing huge but it was better than nothing. Tomorrow is my running day, Wednesday I usually do my Power class but I'm going to give a spinning class a try at lunch and then decide whether I can still make it to Power after work. Thursday might be a day off (depending on how Wednesday goes) and Friday is step. Phew...you'd think I would be losing a few pounds but I seem to "relax" too much on the weekends for that to happen! ;) Maybe one day the whole thing will come together!

hikerchick - I know a lot of people keep notebooks or spreadsheets to track their progress. I've seen some forms online but I can't remember where. If I can find something again, I'll come back to post it. Otherwise I'm sure that someone else will be able to help.

Mel - how were the bison burgers? Have you had them before? My husband quite likes them but I find them a bit too "gamey" for my liking. I think they're quite healthy though aren't they? Much lower fat than beef if I remember correctly.

sportmom 03-19-2007 11:02 PM

Believe it or not, slimfast.com has a pretty cool fitness tracker. You should take a look.

Mel 03-20-2007 08:27 AM

Quote:

Men keep telling me to "be careful" and not to "hurt myself"

:rofl: I can't begin to tell you how many times I've heard that! It's a standing joke now with me and another trainer. "don't hurt yourself, Mel" Of course, he has seen me walk smack into a squat bar or fall over a bench, so maybe in my case it's warranted.

The drive back was horrific! A rain white-out most of the way. I told ds he has to go to college within an hour's drive when I got home and we had a huge fight. :?:

Lydia, Ted's was good! The bison was really tender unlike the last time I had it out in Colorado, which leads me to believe it wasn't so lean....but it was good. You can also get a baked sweet potato instead of fries, but you have to ask for no butter and brown sugar. If you order a regular baked potato, they ask you what toppings you want. If you order sweet, you automatically get another 300 calories dumped on top. Mine got sent back the first time, but they were very accomodating. We only go shopping up near Sawmill- I agree, the traffic is HORRIBLE! I've never seen so many chain restaurants and big box stores in my life :yikes: She's moving to to an apartment complex kind of on the edge of Grandview/Upper Arlington.

Today I'm going to try to fit a total body workout in around 8 clients :rofl: or maybe chest and legs. Weird split, but that's what I missed. Scale is down 2 pounds from not eating much, but I expect at least a pound back :(

Have a good one!
Mel

tikanique 03-20-2007 09:18 AM

Hi all,

Mel, if they are building a Lifetime Fitness near your DD tell her to JOIN!! I had a membership there for a while, but the drive was too ridiculous and DDs athletic schedule didn't allow us to get there enough to make it worthwhile but the club is AWESOME!! Rock climbing walls, a freaking TON of different classes, lap pool that's seperate from the main pool, saunas, it was awesome.

Lydia, good luck with Spring break. My DDs spring break is the week AFTER my DS's spring break and that totally sucks!

HRBabe, you are making EXCELLENT progress. I don't blame you on not buying new clothes. You are definitely on the move down to a slimmer you.

Rabbit, are you back up to speed yet?

Hi everyone else.

I'm trying to get back on track with food and workout. Yesterday's food was ugly. I had a migraine and was super tired from two full days of cheer competitions and over-priced junk food (venue offered NO healthy food and I didn't remember to pack anything to bring) but I made myself go to the gym last night, moreso to run for endorphins than anything else. I got up this AM at 4:30 and went back. I did a mix of 2 miles running and 1 mile walking. Then I decreased all my weights for my back routine, upped the reps and paid very close attention to form. I can already feel the muscles tightening up and know that I'll be sore tomorrow but that's the whole goal, right? I'll do the same (lower weights, higher reps and form check) for the rest of the week cause I believe that my less than stellar results from lifting are due to piss-poor form.

Tiki

BfL_Cat 03-20-2007 10:24 AM

Happy Tuesday all! I worked out this morning - the first time since injuring my knee, and it felt great! I was cautious about what I could and couldn't do, but was able to to do today's workout with just a few modifications. Squats and lunges of any kind are out of the question, so I need to get creative about my LBWO exercises. Getting on the ground to do cable rows and ab work was a bit of a challenge, but I managed not to hurt myself!

Can't really spend much more time here now, but just wanted to stop in and say "Hi!".
Cindy

4rabbit 03-20-2007 01:16 PM

Hi LWL,

Mel - glad you made it back Ok!

Hi Tiki, keep up the good work!

Hrbabe- your new picture is awesome! You are certainly getting incredible progress1

I have a setback today, the tiredness was receding but unfortunately another bad job related interview today. HRM had set this up for me, and after the guy stood me up for half an hour he appears totally unruffled, and I find out that my HRM person has not at all represented what i told her. It was a total waste of time & also screwed up my morning. I know I am overreacting, and I know I will feel better tomorrow, but it is not great today.

On the good side, I did go to power class last night.

Have a great day all,
Rabbit

Lydia227 03-20-2007 01:56 PM

Wow is it a beautiful day here in Central Ohio. I'm going to make this post quick because I need to get out there.

Elisa: I know exactly what you mean about needing those Monday workouts! The ubwo you did is certainly better than nothing at all. Besides, I'm sure you will make it up in your spinning class.

Fran: I saw your poll. I want to think about that one for a while. I did a fbwo three days a week for I think five or six months. I would have to look at my book. Could it had lead up to my stress fracture injury. :dunno: I do remember being really sore and having a hard time sleeping at night. Could have been signs of overtraining. I really enjoyed it though. Some of my best workouts were done then. So I don't want to say they are a bad thing. Maybe its something that it good in a rotation. Maybe three or four weeks of fbwo three days a week and then a two day split...

Mel: White out rains are just as bad as ice. I've driven in those too with a river running beside the road. :yikes: Glad you made it safely home. Thanks for the review on Ted's. I'll keep the sweet potato in mind. There are so few places where they actually serve them. :hungry: I hope your DD will enjoy the area she moved to. Those are my stomping grounds too. DH and I spend a lot of time on Grandview Avenue on the weekends during the summer. There are a lot of really great places: mmmmm Spagio, Jeni's, Stauffs...Thoms on Grandview also gets a thumbs up from me. They have nice seafood choices. And, they do private parties upstairs. :yes: Grandview is just a really cool area. We made Arlington home about ten years ago. :chin: can't believe it's been that long already...Anyway, tell DD I said "Welcome to the neighborhood." ;)

Tiki: Whew, two back to back workouts. I envy your muscle soreness right now. :lol3: Sick but true. These cheer events seem really grueling for the parents. :hug: As parents it is so difficult to carve time out for our needs without feeling like we are short changing our kids. (sigh) I thought of you the other day when I saw an add for a gymnastics/cheer facility that also offers a workout gym for parents. What a concept! I wonder if more places offer these kinds of amenities and I just don't know that yet because my DS1 is involved in them yet. :dunno: Great idea though. Why should the kids have all the fun.

Cindy: You and I are dealing with the exact same issues here. Oh that knee thing! It is really funny when I get into position for one arm rows. I have discovered that I really don't put any body weight on the bent knee if I don't have too. The mats are hysterical when I'm trying to get up too. I've figured out how to do it somewhat gracefully but it's real obvious that I can't use it to lift myself up yet. Seems kind of silly after my elliptical workout. :dunno: to have trouble just getting up off the ground. :lol:

Rabbit: I don't think you are over reacting. I'd be frustrated too. I truly hope the rest of your day goes much better. :hug:

Okay. About that sunshine outside my patio is calling for me. Or, is that the boys...(mom it's not gonna work...Mom...MOM.) yep. it was them.:dizzy:

4rabbit 03-20-2007 03:03 PM

Hi Lydia, thanks for not thinking I'm over reacting. I'm sure it'll be okay by tomorrow.

tikanique 03-21-2007 09:05 AM

Hi all,

I have a tewwible cowld!!! I dreamed that my daughter's wival cheer team was twying to twick me into missing my gym time this AM so I hopped up, popped dwugs and went to the gym before I even registered how sick I am. I was worried about blowing nose bubbles so instead of running on the twack I opted for the dwedmill instead because it has places to stash Kleenex. I did 2.5 miles combo walking inclines and running and then lowered weights and form checked my shoulders. Now they are hurting along with my biceps, head, legs and neck. I'm going home no later than noon for rest and drugs.

Tiki

sportmom 03-21-2007 09:30 AM

OK, so Tiki, you know you are totally spending too much time at cheer competitions, right? Either that, or your high fever is speaking to you! I know all about the day long dreaded events from swim meets, but I never dream about the swimmers coming after me!! LOL Take care of yourself!

shananigans 03-21-2007 10:06 AM

Tiki – good for you going to the gym with a cold! I’ve been feeling a bit under myself since yesterday afternoon. Something settling in my chest and a bit of a cough, now and then I’m getting “hot flashes” (no, not those kind. At least I hope not, it seems a bit early for those to start!). I am feeling a little panicky about work here, it’s a new job and I feel like I need to prove I can handle this big event and that taking this long weekend (planned before I was hired) will not interfere.

Sadly I think I’m going to have go light on the workouts and do damage control in the diet department until the crazy is over. April 2 I’ll be back with a plan and sticking to it.

Gotta get back to work, just popping in to say “hi”.

WaterRat 03-21-2007 02:11 PM

Morning! At last, the cold weather has taken a breather. I got up this am and went to the check the thermometer to see if I needed to plug in the car - and voila! - it was 20! (I know, I'm nuts) Of course, it's supposed to snow 3-4" by tomorrow, but right now (10 am) it's just very overcast, with nothing falling from the sky. :)

Shannon, hope the big event goes well. I'm sure you'll do fine.

Tiki - Had that code myself. It's a nasty one. Good for you getting to the gym in spite of it. Take some good drugs!

Fran, I love love love your new picture! You are making such good progress!

Rabbit - feeling better today?

I did about 40 minutes on the treadmill last night (swapped machines midway so no accurate measurement of time/miles, but enough). I tried to start week 3 of the Couch to 5K, but the longer run segment kicked my butt. I did it, but could not recover enough in the scheduled time to do the rest of the (shorter) running segments. So I walked, playing with speed and incline and still had my heartrate up nicely. Best news is that so far the running is not bothering my knees. I'm quite anxious to run outdoors where I can adjust my speed without pushing frantically on the controls of a treadmill. :lol:

:wave: Have a great day.

nelie 03-21-2007 02:36 PM

Rabbit - I'm glad you enjoy the roomba. My cat loves the roomba so much we have to hide it or next thing we know is we hear it turn on and start vacuuming. Last night, I took it out to charge and it only took a second for me to turn my back and for it to be off and running.

I've been in lurk mode a lot. I've been struggling for months but I'm trying to get back. It is a slow process right now. I love weights, I shouldn't avoid them. I even love my elliptical and I shouldn't avoid that. I love eating well and I shouldn't avoid that. Mental games is all it is.

4rabbit 03-21-2007 03:07 PM

Hi LWL,

Nelie- fun story about the cat & the roomba! My cat is not sure yet what it is, so it treats it with extreme caution!

I did a lot of damage control today. The morning was reasonably OK, I took in a power class, but the afternoon was not good. I was too tired, had a dispute with DS, and ended up very teary, even after a nap. Things are OK again, but I sure feel the aftermath of too much load in the last weeks. Unfortunately foodwise the afternoon was bad both yesterday & today. Small NSV is that I did notice that I was on the slippery slope unto longer trouble, and I did manage to sidetrack myself, even if i did not manage to keep the food within bounds.

Tomorrow is a new day,

Rabbit

sportmom 03-21-2007 05:32 PM

Hi everyone, just have to share a cute story. Last nite I was "playing" in my closet again, trying to figure out how much longer until my largest suit will fit me again, and if it will be in time for some upcoming meetings. I tried it on in front of the mirror and in view of dd, 7, who was in my bed, reading. She looked up from her book and said, "Mommy, you look so skinny in that outfit! You need to stop wearing those baggy clothes."

Priceless. It really must be true if a SEVEN YEAR OLD notices..........:lol:

hikerchick 03-21-2007 06:37 PM

Fran that is such a cute story and really quite a NSV. If you want to get a real good honest opinion ... ask a kid. They just don't know how to be polite. It is a good reality check.

Mel 03-21-2007 08:14 PM

Fran, that's a fantastic story! Have you by-passed most of your closet at this point?

Tiki- Eek, you sound terrible! Don't forget to wipe down that treadmill :tread: I've been living in fear of all the sneezing and stomach viruses going around. Hope you feel better soon :hug:

Pat- Yay for spring :sunny: :rofl: When does it actually get warm?

Hi Shan- You sound incredibly busy! Just keep on doing the best you can.

Rabbit :hug:

nelie- I think the hardest thing is to "get the spark" again. Just put on your shoes and do it. Forget about motivation, just make a list, write down WORKOUT and have the satisfaction of crossing it off when you are done. Sometimes small victories are the hardest won.

I had the weirdest muscle pull/spasm I've ever had today. I was getting onto a stability ball on my knees (which I've done plenty of times before) and some deeply buried ab started to cramp or spasm. I landed on the floor in a fetal position in more pain than I've ever had in my life. Honestly, if it had been in my chest I'm sure it would have been a heart attack :( By the time another trainer got over to me, it was gone. Weird. The area kind of aches like a cramped calf muscle the next day, but that's it. Very weird and I hope it never happens again. I thought I might be dying.

Didn't stop me from eating dinner, 'tho;)

Totally clean food for 2 weeks! Yay me!

Mel

nelie 03-21-2007 09:33 PM

Mel - Thank you for your encouragement. It helped me get off the couch tonight and get on the elliptical. I did 25 minutes on the elliptical.

The only problem is now that I can watch tv and exercise at the same time, sometimes there is food mentioned/shown. I was watching V is for Vendetta. Well they showed something I've never had "Egg in a Basket". I had to try it so I got out my whole grain bread and one of my eggs and attempted to make it. It didn't turn out as glorious as on tv but it tasted pretty good and was a good after workout snack. Of course did I really need an after workout snack if I was only doing the elliptical? probably not :)