Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 01-27-2018, 11:00 AM   #376  

S/C/G: 274highest/250sept2017/218now

Height: 5 9

My fasts are typically boring, I mean if I'm hungry and just sitting around , I get board , but if I busy myself to much , I can get week , or tempted.

So I do things like look up health information, and write a post .
Or go get on my hobby , and make sure I have plenty to drink.
Organize closets , do my bills, call friends , binge watch tv.
Take alot of naps . Small amounts of chores, a long self indulgent bath.
Play with the cat. Go antique ing without money. Plan flower and garden locations. Inventory all my tools, and hobby supplies. Play online games,
When I fast I'm burning calories, but I do too much , I feel weak , if I exercise I get very hungry, if I put something with flavor in my mouth , my hunger awakens like a bossy giant pushing towards food.
Old 01-27-2018, 12:13 PM   #377  

good afternoon! just got back from power walking and running errands. took my pop bottles and cans to be recycled today. wasn't a lot of people there when I got there-just myself and one other person. when I left there were A LOT of people there.
Old 01-27-2018, 09:46 PM   #378  
Trying to live below 200

S/C/G: This time: 292/201.4/under 200

Height: 5'6" 1/2

Hi Everyone!

I am worn out tonight! We didn't get to the painting at church today. Originally, the ladies wanted the wallpaper removed from the ladies rest room because one of the corners came loose. It looked like it would be easy to take down. NOT! I think some of it was put up with super glue. It was about 10 of us in the small (3 stall) restroom for about 6 hours. But the wallpaper is finally gone. We have a bit of prep to do and I think we will attempt the painting later this week. I didn't get a workout in because after working at the church I went grocery shopping and then cooked dinner. I just finished everything up. I have been on my feet since I got up at 7:30 this morning. My feet are smoked! I was going to break out my new sneakers on Feb 1, but my feet have been hurting recently so I will start wearing them tomorrow. Hopefully the new shoes will help with my feet.

Total Approx 1400 Calories +

Breakfast (260 calories + )

Organic Valley vanilla Fuel shake 260 calories
coffee w/cream sugar/stevia blend

Lunch (470 calories)
Chick-fil-a grilled market salad w/BHF's ranch 420 calories
iced coffee 50 calories

Dinner (670 calories)
roasted cauliflower 100 calories
sugar snap peas 100 calories
hamburger patty 300 calories
Vanilla Greek yogurt w/blueberries 170 calories

Exercise
Nothing - too tired

Waving Hi all around!
Old 01-27-2018, 10:56 PM   #379  

good night all! will be shutting down in a few minutes to go to bed.
Old 01-28-2018, 07:18 AM   #380  
Trying to live below 200

Good Morning, Everyone!

Nothing for last night
This Morning: Oxycise Commuter Workout

Calories for yesterday: 1400 +
Weigh In: 186.2
No Change

Have a Blessed day!

Copied from Crosswalk Devotions for Dieters

January 28

Psalm 57:3

He shall send from heaven, and save me from the reproach of him that would swallow me up. God shall send forth his mercy and his truth.

There are going to be days when we feel we just can't do it. Everywhere we turn, there is another temptation, another chance to blow it. Occasionally, we might even give in, but that is no reason to give up. Part of being human means we won't succeed every time we try something. That's okay. When we find ourselves in situations where we give in, that is when we need to call on God, asking for forgiveness, strength, and determination. God shall send forth His mercy and His truth, and we will be able to pick up from where we left off and do even better the next time.

Today's thought: Losing one battle doesn't mean I've lost the war!
Old 01-28-2018, 07:21 AM   #381  

good morning! i'll have breakfast and work out in a few minutes.
Old 01-28-2018, 08:32 AM   #382  

S/C/G: 265/148/132-136

Height: 5'6" - 64 YO

Good morning 197.4 another bounce up. BP 121/75

Yesterday planned 1069 ate 1170 walked 12,655 and did weight training but no yoga as planned
Today plan is 1134, 12,000 gentle steps if i can beat the rain and do what I can inside if not.

Did not sleep well last night. Moving magnesium back to just before bed and see if that helps. Think I am trying to fight of "something" - sore throat, itchy eyes, tired.

Synergy - did you know 1 oz of walnuts supplies all your essential omega 6 and omega 3 as ALA? I also incorporate blueberries. At 1200 calories one of my challenges is getting enough potassium. I do take supplements but don't go overboard.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:56 AM   #383  

grannynancy, so sorry you didn't sleep well last night. will power walk to church in a few minutes.
Old 01-28-2018, 11:51 AM   #384  
Work in Progress

S/C/G: 186/working on it/148

Height: 5'5"

Good day to all, sorry I have been MIA, all I can say is depression.

WI up 2.6lbs in 2 days 171.0, I can not account for this huge jump. Thur 167.8, Fri 168.6 then Sat & Sun 171.0. My eating habits have not altered still calories around 1400-1600. No high carbs, no chips, no junk to speak up unless you count unsalted peanuts in a shell and that was just a small handfull. Enough of dwelling on what I cannot change right now and move forward.

On the upside, 3 years ago I damaged the hearing in my right ear and I was told by the audiologist I needed to wait at least 1 year to be test for hearing aids to give my ear time to heal. Well finally was seen on Saturday and holy molly I got to try on a sample pair (Costco I love you) and I was amazed! He let me walk around the store with my DH and have him speak to me from my right side. I COULD HEAR HIM without turning my head towards him. Mind you they cannot restore what I lost but between help in both ears this was like the first time a child puts on glasses and sees the world. I get my 'real' pair next Thurs and could not be happier with the service and $$. I have been shopping and places like belltone etc. want upwards of $9,000 a pair. The pair they recommended for me (mod-severe loss) were not cheap but affordable. As we get older we lose the ability to hear high tones and it was cool to have those back (somewhat) just did not know I was missing it. LOL

Anyway I will try and get to personals soon you all seem to be plugging right along. I will check back in later
Old 01-28-2018, 12:02 PM   #385  

Yes , about the walnuts.
It's been awhile since I posted , info on walnuts.
But it's the equivalent of walking 10 miles or something that impactful.
Ever since I've eaten the amount my body can absorb 7 whole, or 14 halves per day.

Then strategically putting them in with salad or hummus on non exercise days.

See my diet isn't just geared for fat loss.
My diet is geared toward longevity.
I believe walnuts are a serious factor in avoiding alzhimers and or dementia if I'm lucky enough to live into my 80's and beyond at 49 now. So I'm putting the diet changes in now . Or at least trying to.

But it's the same old issue , when I try...

I can be a body builder , but it's the same death rate as an obesse person because the heart works just as hard to nourish fat as it does muscle.
So my solution i believe in is both diet and exercise.

Hmm I'll try to make that more clear.
I exercise enough , but if I'm malnurished I ave the same death rate as everyone else.
I nourish enough but don't exercise, I have the death rate as everyone else.

So I'm trying to put in the simple rules into my menu and schedule.

3 days fasting
2 days fish
2 days sated on salads with synergy foods
----
4 days walking and or skipping rope
3 days strength training or core work.

As time marches on change from swimming to other sports I enjoy as the season change.
I've been at this for a long time. I fail, I get back at it again, I learn more, I change menus.

The synergy foods are here to stay . I simply put most of them in a salad.
The fasting is a part of my life now too. I may go months sometimes without fasting, and as the pounds pack back on, I don't just diet/ calorie restrict.
I mean to say, since I'm a yoyo dieter, I take the muscle building approach, as I lose fat, I try to fill in that space with muscle, not belly fat of course. Just like body builders do when they bulk and cut.

It's tough, but the the reward is I'm so much stronger than I was even befor I stopped fasting.
The fat loss is basically my side effect from fasting, I learned that there isn't a human requirement for carbohydrates , and taking a very long look at protein, also discovered it's what ages us faster if we over eat it. So I use food like gears within my human machine.

Heh I'm such a poor cook. I go to the store and buy foods according to their nutritional content.
That's nit the way I used to be, but may very well be the reason I stop eating eat after a year or so goes by. I don't cook it well or flavor it like a chef.
But salads? Hmm spinach and lemon, walnuts and blue berry, turmeric and black pepper, strawberries, and avocado dressing with egg and cheese. I sprinkle a little grain berry to thicken the dressing .

Then when its time to fast I simply believe I'm fully nourished ,
Each week while restart a fasting lifestyle, I try new things, taking from the the list of cancer fighters or list of proven cancer preventers . Currently I just put most of that in a salad and move on. But find that there is room for trying new things or at least new combinations.

I try not to make food into a persona though. Meal time can be a robust combination of flavors ands fulfillment. However it's only an hour and a half of my day. And very few people want to hear what I have to say about, fasting, losing fat, and exercise for longevity.

So I write posts , and read about what else can help live longer. Like detox, bathing and environmental hazards and what to about them. how to best heal when sleeping, and how to be a better lover or friend.
Which brain trraining exercises actully are proven or may become proven?

Oh I guess I'm rambling on and on .
I'm exploring foods that help with inflammation.

I guess the subject I need the most understanding with is nutritional absorption .
We are very observant about what happens to our skin surface on the outside, but not a diligent about the digestive tissue on the inside. Something like there's 27times more surface area in digestive tract than on outer skin. It's no wonder there are so many cancers that are food related. It's my opinion that fasting helps with longevity due to less exposer to foods from the outside world, and the protein restriction helps with not aging at a such a faster rate the DNA errors occur more often and not then not repaired due to poor nutrition absorbtion. However there must be balance between fasting and nutrition absorption. Especially at different stages of life.
It's so subtle , if I have little fat to lose then I cannot fast as often. If I don't lose fat in between muscle tissues it's more difficult build muscle and my metabolism slows. Then throw in variants like insulin resistance. It's confusing and there many people contradicting eachother.
So not very careful right now, but as I start to apply the features of fasting and strength training. I learn more about the foods i consume. Not only nutritional info , but also where it comes from, wether it's organic or exposed to things I may nit b aware of.

I can completely totally over think it. However I try to keep the simple framework in mind.
I'm 249lbs today. I want to get to 180lbs. I eat 1800 calories a day over a 7 day period.
That 21 meal times BLDs minus 6 meals due to 2/24 hour fasts =1285 calories per 7 day average.
Approx 1.3 lbs a week of fat loss without exercise. Well it's not precise but defiantly near what I want to accomplish.

What I try to remember is that since I discovered fasting 8 years ago and have yoyo dieted . I typically lose 10-15 pounds kept off by the next time I restart the fasting lifestyle.

So the the synergy foods are keepers. Blueberries in the salads and broccoli with the meats as staples.
I so fortunate that my work has a cafeteria that cooks salmon 1 day a week and has salad bar.
But also on fasting days I don't have to go to the cafeteria, in break near my position in the smaller break area. And snack on bits and pieces of super foods .

I'm so ready to get this going on.

Last edited by Synergy Foo; 01-28-2018 at 12:15 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 01:32 PM   #386  

I found my last post was here there and everywhere. So I'm posting this about salmon as 2 a week staple of mine.
----

What's the best salmon to buy for your health and the environment?
The new U.S. Dietary Guidelines recommend Americans eat two servings of fish a week. Salmon is great choice. There are so many different types of salmon, which is loaded with heart-healthy, brain-boosting omega-3 fats, and ways to serve them that it would be hard to get bored with this fish. But that said, there are certain types of salmon to stay away from and certain questions to always ask before you buy. Here are 7 tips to help you buy the best salmon.
By Lisa Gosselin & Rowan Jacobsen,
March/April 2012

1. What type of salmon should I buy?
The six species of North American salmon vary in price, color and taste, but all are healthy choices. The largest is the king or chinook, prized for its high fat content, rich omega-3s and buttery texture. Sockeye, an oilier fish with deep-red flesh, has a stronger flavor and stands up well to grilling. Coho is milder and often lighter in color. Pink and chum are smaller and most often used in canning or smoking. The most common fish you will find at the market is a farmed species known as Atlantic salmon, now endangered in the wild and not a recommended choice.

2. Farmed or wild?
If possible, choose wild salmon over farmed. Groups like Seafood Watch and the Environmental Defense Fund have put nearly all farmed salmon on their “red” or “avoid” list for multiple reasons. Many farms use crowded pens where salmon are easily infected with parasites, may be treated with antibiotics and can spread disease to wild fish (one reason Alaska has banned salmon farms). Also, it can take as much as three pounds of wild fish to raise one pound of salmon. However, salmon producers are in talks with environmental groups about improving practices and a proposal is before Congress to set standards for aquaculture. Already some farms, such as Sweet Spring in British Columbia, are raising coho in closed pens, which reduce the impacts. Others, such as Verlasso in Patagonia, are using omega-3 feed additives produced from yeast rather than smaller fish, which helps cut back the ratio of pounds of fish needed to feed the salmon to 1-to-1.

3. Should I buy organic salmon?
There is no USDA organic standard for salmon and no guarantee an “organic” label means anything except the salmon was farmed.

4. Do salmon carry PCBs or other toxins?
Wild Alaskan salmon, which spend most of their lives in open oceans, generally have very low levels of toxins. Coastal and farmed salmon, depending on their feed, may have higher levels. The Environmental Defense Fund lists farmed salmon as an “Eco-Worst” choice and recommends people eat no more than one to two servings a month due to high PCB levels.

5. Is "fresh" much better than frozen or canned?
Most fish is flash-frozen when caught to preserve it for shipping. Frozen salmon is good for up to four months, when properly defrosted overnight in the refrigerator. Canned wild salmon is an excellent and economical choice. Look for BPA-free cans (Wild Planet has these) or, better yet, pouches.

6. Why is some salmon more orange than others?
Thank carotenoids, the same pigments that make carrots orange. Those magical antioxidants combat the damaging effects of free radicals. The carotenoid in salmon is a particularly potent antioxidant known as astaxanthin, which has been shown to protect against heart disease, cancer, inflammation, eye diseases, general aging and many other conditions. Astaxanthin is produced by phytoplankton, tiny plants that use it to shield themselves from ultraviolet radiation. Shrimp, krill and other tiny crustaceans eat the phytoplankton and accumulate astaxanthin in their bodies (which is what makes them pink), then salmon eat them and store the astaxanthin in their skin and muscles. Sockeye, which feed mainly on plankton, have the deepest orange color, whereas pink and chum salmon (most often canned) are the lightest. Many farmed Atlantic salmon are given feed with added synthetic astaxanthin (and sometimes another manufactured pigment, canthaxanthin) to turn their flesh orange.

7. Are fattier fish healthier?
In the case of salmon, the answer is yes. Salmon are fantastic sources of DHA, the omega-3 fatty acid that is essential for brain development, which they also get from phytoplankton. DHA is stored in salmon’s fat, most often in the belly, and a 4-ounce serving of salmon can dish up 2,400 mg omega-3s. Larger species, such as king, and those which have longer upstream journeys, tend to store more fat and have more omega-3s. Farmed salmon are often fattier than wild salmon, but that’s because they are fed a diet that includes grains and vegetable oils that are high in omega-6 fats, which combat the beneficial effects of omega-3s. However, the higher fat content (often as high as 16 percent versus 8 percent for wild fish) means the fish is easier to cook and retains its moistness.

--------
This is not nutritional info but how I cook my salmon
I grill my salmon over an open fire.
I use a product called cedar wraps. It's a very thin piece of cedar that bends around the salmon when the cedar paper has been soaked. I some mine in red wine for ten minutes. Put in a grill basket and turn over and over for about thirty minutes . I sometimes cook two salmon together skin to skin to keep the skin from sticking to the cedar paper.
I continue to spray water on the cedar paper as I turn it to keep it from charring all the way threw.
After a half hour I pour soaked cherry wood chips , pellets and chunks to smolder under the fish skin down , I mean I remove the cedar and smoke for another 10 minutes.
However if the fat is dripping out too much , I nix the fire and fry in pan .
I almost always eat lemon and spinach , and a sweet potato flavored with cinnamon. Later I fix a potato heavy with rosemary to counter any charred food from cancerous effects rosemary is know to have that quality. But it doesn't have to be eaten at the same time. Many times I use the rosemary in a potato soup.

This is fast day for me so talking about this rich food is flirting with temptation , but also something to aid my will power, if I don't do the fast, I don't get the fish. Be oh oh Eich oh oh.

I rarely need to season the fish with other spices due to the cedar & red wine heavy cherry smoke.

Last edited by Synergy Foo; 01-28-2018 at 02:19 PM.
Old 01-28-2018, 02:48 PM   #387  

good afternoon! power walked to lunch after church. power walked and ran an errand on the way home from lunch.
Old 01-28-2018, 09:22 PM   #388  
Trying to live below 200

Hi Everyone!

Total Approx 1175 Calories +

Breakfast (260 calories + )

Organic Valley vanilla Fuel shake 260 calories
coffee w/cream sugar/stevia blend

Lunch (500 calories)

salad w/roasted chicken & BHF's ranch 450 calories
iced coffee 50 calories

Dinner (415 calories)
spritz olive oil in pan
2 large eggs 140 calories
300g. Mediterranean Blend Veggies 90 calories
14 g. Organic Valley feta cheese 30 calories
1 T. tomato paste 10 calories
1 slice Dave's Killer Bread 21 Whole Grains and Seeds Thin-Sliced 60 calories
1 T. pumpkin butter 25 calories
juice equivalent to 60 calories

Exercise
JS 15 Minute Calorie Burst and 15 Minute Standing Abs
Old 01-28-2018, 10:03 PM   #389  

took advantage of the weather and got some things done outside today. unfortunately, it wasn't taking down the Christmas decorations. those are still buried underneath a ton of ice and snow. will be shutting down in a few minutes to go to bed.
Old 01-28-2018, 10:51 PM   #390  

Took my second weekly weigh in on Sunday night before bedtime.
I'm down to 245lbs.
I'm very sure it's mostly water and because I've fasted the two out of the last three days.
But it's typical for me to see that initial fast 5lbs.
No where near goal but feel great about an early result.

My plan is to go six weeks and evaluate progress.
I jumped rope for 2 minutes twice . It's very poor amount of jump rope time. But just like getting back on a bike after a pause it comes back. I get more out jump rope than any other exercise because of it's portability . And once it's gets to just skipping nonstop , I feel less embarrassed .
Plus the longevity aspect of jumprope is it helps to circulate the lymphatic system.

I also bought the navage to help with the soot I inhale on my job.
Ill put this day in the top 1,000 of my life out of 17,629.
Closed Thread