Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 07-02-2003, 09:54 AM   #256  
caffeine free!

Hello All,
Second to last day of work for now. I got the month off becuase everyone at owrk knows how much time bar study takes. Actually most of the people I went to school with did not work at all this summer. Last years law clerk here was going to work in the summer part time and then one week into bar study flaked out. I have not really had trouble doing both work and study. I am going to do a couple of fun things including going to the Winipeg Folk Festival next weekend, so it is not all work and no play. Plus the bar is the last Tuesday and Wednesday in July, so I am taking off the rest of that week and all of the next week. Probably going to go camping. Maybe a bike trip. I found out there is a bike trail that goes from Superior, WI to Ashland, WI which is long but there is plently of camping along the way.

Punkin - Is your mom doing radiation as well? If so, did they put her on the no fiber diet? Potatoes are great. And bananas. And on thing that I could eat during chemo consistently and never again, were three muskateers bars. Go figure.

Happy Late Canada Day. I feel as though I forgot someones birthday.

QOD - I do not know if I quite got the jist of it, but basically it was whether I would give up half of what I own for a pill that gives an hour of perfect rest? Heck yea. Actually it is a little misleading becuase I own practuically nothing and certainly nothing of value (except my laptop computer which is now three years old and kinda testy).

Tomorow is Amazing Race Day. It is a guilty pleasure, but a shared one. We get together and each pick a team and whoever's team comes in last has to buy dinner the following week. I lost the first week, but have not lost since.
Old 07-02-2003, 11:22 AM   #257  
Is it Friday yet?

Well, technically it's Friday eve!

Wildfire, funny how Canada's birthday and the US's are just a few days apart! Happy belated birthday to Canada!
Lemme' see.... my loss so far is 37.6 total if you count from my highest ever (I maintained a 13 pound loss from '01-'02 and then got going again). From May 12th, when I really got my head on straight, I'm down 25.1. It's slowing down now, but I feel like I've got a handle on 98% of it!

Anagram, yea, mashed 'taters have been a comfort food in my family for years. I'm doing my best to keep food in her since my stepfather's idea of "food" is triple decker PBn'J's or cookies!
Congrats on hitting the new low!!!! Also, I'm sending you a to banish the negative thoughts and blast the blahs...

Kaylets, I firmly believe that our body kinda rearranges itself when we lose weight! Another reason to not pay *so* much attention to the scale. How great is it too that people are noticing!!!

Frogger, you hubby sounds like a dear. In all the years I was married I don't recall being made dinner! I'll be transferring your hug to Mums soon...

Zadie, good luck to you on taking the bar exam this month. I'm glad you're combining some play with all that studying and can't wait to hear how the exam goes!

Yea, Mums is going to have radiation too (4-6 weeks of it) but not until chemo is over. I told her about your 3 Muskateers, maybe there's some mystery chemical in them???? She said she couldn't wait to find "her food" because it seems like nothing's staying down right now and she's already lost 5 pounds since Monday - and she doesn't have all that much she can afford to loose! I figure once these 10 days are up (the 10 days after treatment are the worst) then we'll shovel food in to get her strong for the next go 'round.
One small thing to celebrate is that she'll be fine for her birthday and the draft horse show that we go to every year. Both are the week after next and fall a few days before her next treatment so she should be feeling pretty good!

Best skeedaddle and get some work done!

Terri
Old 07-03-2003, 06:41 AM   #258  
Momma Frog

Good Morning All!!

Just wanted to check in with my official weigh in for the challenge since I will not be home for the 4th. Seems that officially only 1lb loss as of this morning. I was 9lbs short of my goal.
I plan on doing a complete turn around for the next challenge. Did we name it yet?

But anyway, we're headed to the beach after work today so all is still OK with the world. The only part I'm not looking forward to is the driving in traffic. Yuck.

I'll check in later, there's work to be done so I can get out of here!!!
Old 07-03-2003, 06:41 AM   #259  

Hello all!

Punkin- How's Mom doing today? I envy you being so nearby--sometimes the phone just isn't enough.
I know she's glad you're close by too. My very best to you and mom and your family.

I am so excited to have the 3 day weekend to catch up w/ everyone! Watch out for multiple postings!!

I know I havent seen all the posts so bear w/ me if I'm speaking out of turn....
Do we have a volunteer to start the next challenge ?? Any one interested?( I just did the spring one so it can't be me). This is a no experience required role so don't be shy!

Hoping today's workload will be slow as June 30 fiscal is finally past and we're facing the holiday.
But won't know until its over at 5! Can't let down my guard for a minute... a big project could land on the desk at noon and I'll be unhappy if I've pushed the morning work off ......

Guess that's like our food plan too... In fact, that's going to be today's thought of the day:
Expect the Unexpected.
====================
Question of the day: Of all the challenges you've overcome, which challenge was the one you least expected you could overcome?
====================

Take care all!
Old 07-03-2003, 10:41 AM   #260  

Well I got rid of the water that's been obscuring my "real" weight.
I am down a HUGE 2.2 for this challenge. Though it's still not my goal or even half way to it, I'm still thrilled to death. Down is down. That puts me at 207.6 and I finished the last challenge at 209.8. One thing is that I don't need to refigure my next goal weight. I'll keep it at 205 which means I'm not too likely to hit onederland by my birthday. But it's in line with how things have been going lately. I plan to try to keep my water more in the 88 oz or higher range and see how that goes.

DD and family coming for the weekend. Picnic at DSister's on Saturday. That should be enough.

Enjoy the beach, Frogger. And enjoy the three days of catchup, Kaylets. Hope the Three Musketeers help Mum, Punkin. I love them dearly but it's been so long.....And btw anything new with the gentlemen "caller"? And congrats on the wt loss.

Glad you're going to break up the tension with some relaxation there, zadie. That'll help the brain out.

Wsw, arabella, wildfire, ceara, eydie, cerise, bo beena - hi and happiness. Dollar, flower, amarantha - lurking? I know I'm missing a few but best to y'all as well.

250/207.6/205/?????

Last edited by anagram; 07-03-2003 at 10:45 AM.
Old 07-03-2003, 10:42 AM   #261  
Is it Friday yet?

Oooh, it's so quiet! I guess it's the holiday.... (did someone say "holiday"?????)

My Mom's still trying to decide if she's going to CA for the weekend. Personally, I think she's nuts if she does, but then I'm one of those people who likes to be sick in their own home - not 500 miles away.
Still, the decision's up to her - but I wish she'd figure out what she's doing since I have my vacuum and Swiffer in my car - I'm gonna clean if she'll get outta here! Or, failing that, I'll clean around her and ignore her telling me not to (her vacuum blew up 3 weeks ago and with 3 cats and 2 dogs in the house *I AM* going to win the arguement on whether or not I can vacuum this place!)

Frogger, you may *only* be down 1 pound - but you got married!!!!! With all the stress and then celebrating, that you're down at all deserves a huge

Kaylets, thanks for asking, Mom's doing better this morning. Yesterday afternoon it was like someone flipped a switch and she suddenly wanted to eat and actually kept down lunch and dinner (sick this morning though). She's thinking it's one of the meds so they said next time they'll try an anti-nausea patch instead of something oral. I guess she's doing pretty good considering that she's even entertaining the thought of driving to CA.
for a trouble free, last minute project free day for you!!

About the Mums, maybe Zadie can answer this one -
I've read about "chemo brain" where you get kinda loopy and get stuff confused really easy or just don't think things through? Is this something you've heard of?? I'm trying really hard not to mother her, but she's making some really odd decisions... wanting to let the kitten run free through the truck when they drive to CA, trouble counting the days between treatments and yesterday she was forgetting how to spell simple words (I ended up typing her email for her). It's kinda freaky for her, but I seem to remember this being "normal" and why they refer to it as "chemo brain". Any thoughts??

I told her and my stepfather (who's also sometimes a little slow on the uptake due to a few strokes years ago) that I was going to have my hands full with the two of them!

Ok, 'nuff rattling on 'bout that.
The next challenge - I seem to remember that the general vote was for Labor Day (Sept. 1st). I have no problem starting it on Saturday as long as no one else wants to! Any takers???? Any ideas on what to call this new challenge??
Workin' for the next long weekend?
Laboring for Labor Day?
Labor Day Loosers? (I like that one)

Whatcha' all think??

Terri
Old 07-03-2003, 10:49 AM   #262  
Is it Friday yet?

Anagram, we posted at the same time! Congrats on the loss!!!! That's vunderfuuuuul! Water's amazing stuff huh?
The gentleman "caller" and I still speak weekly - he recently got a new job so we haven't been able to talk as much as we used to, but that's ok. He's been amazingly sweet and supportive when it comes to Mums - keeping me laughing.
As for the 3 Muskateers, we haven't tried them yet, but DSD (darling step daddy) bought her a huge bag of peppermint patties which I think will go down very, very well!

Terri
( of Friday, making her appearance a day early!)
Old 07-03-2003, 10:57 AM   #263  

Labor Day Losers, I like it.

QOD - I'm thinking, I'm thinking. So far I can't think of any challenge (and there have been many) that I haven't thought I could handle. Probably the one I've ACTUALLY handled least well was my MIL but even then I THOUGHT I could handle it. And long term, I did but NOT in the way I would have expected. It would have been easier on me if I was as "smart" then as I am now. 'cause now I know I can't change other people but only how I react to them. She never did change - I did. I changed how personally I took things (she'd have been the same with anyone DH married - she was the same with lots of other people), I realized he wasn't responsible for her bad behavior (though he could have acknowledged it earlier) and I quit trying to make the world like me. But all along I was sure I'd eventually handle it. And I learned from her - how not to be.

Off to the pool to beat this body into submission. And relax in the warm water.
Old 07-03-2003, 11:37 AM   #264  
caffeine free!

Hello everyone,
Well, it is not quite Independance Day, but I only weigh on Mondays so I guess my official end weight is 148. I am very pleased becuase my goal was 150. I deliberately set a very modest goal, but I might be a bit more ambitious next time.

Punkinseed - I have heard of chemo brain before. It kinda depends on what kind of chemo drugs they are using. Different types and stages of cancer call for different drugs which all have their own lovely side effects. I wwas on cysplatnin which does not have some of the side effects that are common (no hair loss) but has some others that were annoying (ringing in the ears, chance of kidney dammage and potasium depletion). I would say just ask the doctor about it and see if it is normal (which it probably is). It may well be just a combo of the (highly toxic) chemicals, preoccupation, and not getting enough food to stay down.

I found that the nausea drugs are a little helpful sometimes, but generally speaking I still had trouble keeping food down for the couple of days following treatment. I hope they can find something that makes it a little bit easier for your mum.

I would highly recomend not letting kitten run free in the truck during the drive. It is so easy for the little ones to get lost in there and to get into things they should not. My cats hate the carrier, but if they are in there i know where they are and they do not get themselves stuck under the seats and it keeps them away from the peddels.

Well, I will check in over the holiday, but congratulations to everyone on their losses! And even if it is not quite goal, a pound lost is a victory in and of itself.

I am looking forward to the next challenge!
Old 07-03-2003, 06:33 PM   #265  
Is it Friday yet?

Happy Fourth everyone!!!!!

I'll come in Saturday (gotta feed Mum's horses) so if there's no objections, Labor Day Loosers will have a new thread started on the 5th! Sound ok??????

Zadie, congrats on the loss!!!! Thank you so much for your insite too. Her case manager told me to call her if I ever had any questions, so I'll keep an eye on Mom and probably give her a call....

So, yea, they left for CA this morning - Mom was feeling much better after some breakfast and a shower. The nausea is much better and she's actually getting hungry now... They took the motorhome instead of the truck and I *forced* her to take my cat crate (using the "isn't it better to have it and not need it vs. need it and not have it" schpeal). I also brought her a small cat harness so she can leash her if necessary. She just called a minute ago and they're stopping for snacks and rests... Why do I feel like they're my kids on their first road trip?!?!?!?!?

Have a happy, safe 4th of July everyone!!!!

Terri

Last edited by Punkinseed; 07-03-2003 at 06:35 PM.
Old 07-04-2003, 06:38 AM   #266  
the sword bearer

S/C/G: 209/140

Default Happy Fourth!

Happy Fourth to all the American Firecrackers!

Ceara
Old 07-04-2003, 07:11 AM   #267  
deleted2

Terri, I have a thought regarding mom's nausea. Peppermint has always worked for me---whether it's in the form of tea, hardcandies, gum, or my personal favorite--peppermint patties! If she feels like she can't eat anything, a little peppermint oil on a napkin or hanky works well---just a few drops and sniff it. [This has the added bonus of making you look very Victorian and distressed! ]
Speaking of the 3 Musketeers bars----makes me think of a few years ago when I had a raging flu and the only things that i could eat were pizza and tater tots. Go figure!

We did something noteworthy yesterday. We went to see a play: 'One Flew Over the Cukoo's Nest'. It was pretty intense since I'd never seen the movie and knew very little about the storyline. I'd forgotten how different seeing a play is from seeing a movie and how the actors have to do everything so "big". Now we want to make it a regular part of our lives! Always fun to branch out and do something new. It took us 2 1/2 hours to get there--next time we'll spend the night and make it a real party!

Well, it looks like I've only lost one pound on this challenge. Good news is I feel like I'm learning a lot---with the BFL challenge and seeing Ms. Powter has energized me again too. Oooh, by the way, I have photos of myself with her. As soon as I can figure out the scanner again, I'll e-mail them to you all if I have your addresses. PM me with your address if you want to see!

Looks like our Punkin is the clear winner with this challenge. Yea, Punkin! Congrats to all our other losers!

Old 07-04-2003, 05:54 PM   #268  
wsw

Hi all! Happy 4th!

I have been thinking about all you guys and trying to catch up on all the posts. I hadn't been feeling too great, but am feeling better today. I lost 4 lbs. on this challenge, so I made my goal. Actually, I was pretty pleasantly surprised about that. Congrats to all the losers! Punkin, that's great that your mom headed off to CA and that she was feeling well enough to go. congrats on your weight loss. eydie- i love plays too. driving so far to see one is impressive. it reminds me too that i haven't seen a play in a long while and it is something i would like to do. i will have to put that on my list of things i would like to do. well, i hope everyone has a good holiday weekend. take care, all. thinking of you.

wsw
Old 07-05-2003, 06:27 AM   #269  

Hello all!

Spent nearly all of yesterday sleeping- dragged myself thru Thursday, yesterday couldnt even sit up I was so tired. Am wondering if its because I took a Claritin early Thursday morning- Once before it made me really edgy and nervous- Beats me--

Today's thought is: "There is something in every season, in every day to celebrate with Thanksgiving."

Today's question is: "What is your favorite way to spend a day?"

Dh's taking me to breakfast and we'll stop by the store to get flour for bread. Need to get the bread made b/4 early today.

I'll stop by later- Punkin- Am thrilled to hear Mom is well enough to travel-- and look forward to your Labor Day Challenge!

Gotta run, but will be back soon.
Old 07-05-2003, 08:21 AM   #270  
caffeine free!

Hello,
So, I just ripped the old pages out of my food journal to start anew on Monday. Kind of a nice feeling. I need to get motivated again.

Eydie - I love going to plays also. I was actually a directing major in college before I dropped out and went back for history (and eventually law school). I buy season tickets to the Guthrie becuase then there is no excuse for not going. I used to just buy the ocasional ticket, but found that then I did not get to go nearly as much as I wanted to becuase I would forget or not make time.

Well last night we got home from a movie and walked to the river to one of the bridges and watched to fireworks. It was very nice becuase we could see so well, and even though there were a lot of people it was not too crowded. Before the big fireworks if you looked over the river you could see about 10 other fireworks displays in the distance.

Ok, today I do a full run of the multiple choise questions.
Closed Thread