Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Closed Thread

Old 06-25-2003, 07:44 PM   #211  
caffeine free!

I agree that Labor day sounds like a good date.
Old 06-25-2003, 09:47 PM   #212  
Hot Stuff

Hi girls,

Holy crow it's hot here! 40 celsius with the humidity! Been like this all week, too.

My computer died. I'm using hubby's, and he's not liking the whole sharing aspect of it. He's gone to bed to sulk for the night.

Anyway, just stopped to wave hello and say keep up the good work!
Old 06-26-2003, 06:22 AM   #213  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Talking Happy Friday, Firecrackers!

Sort-of a long weekend coming up, in that DH is off for 4 days and there'll be no 5-30ish wake-up. I really like to ease into my days, don't so much mind waking up early - in fact I like to be up by myself for an hour before anyone else gets up. But I don't like to rush out soon after I roll out of bed. My dad used to get up at 5 and sit and drink coffee and smoke for an hour before he had to do anything. Sometimes he'd haul a kitchen chair out to the yard and sit watching his garden grow. It's a nice kind of me-time while things are still quiet.

Punkin o' Friday - I meant to tell you how much your response to the "how can I make this day special" resonated. Beautiful! I go back and reread it, because it's so true and powerful.

Kaylets, I'm so glad your situation (DH drinking too much) changed. I do have hope that mine will too. He is making an effort not to drink as much and starting to talk about getting involved with things - starting some writing projects and getting in touch with friends and so on. I think a big part of the problem is that he just comes home from work, stressed from his day, and is in the habit of drinking to relax. If he had something compelling to do in the evening, I think it would really help.

Ok, Firecrackers Let's get out there and make this a good one! Love to all!
Old 06-26-2003, 06:29 AM   #214  

Hello all!!

Am glad its morning and the slate is clean!!
Short story-- Out of control--

Please pass the FRESH START Cards-- I 'm polishing up my NO GUILT Card too...
But I am determined that today will be more in control-- can't make it calmer but perhaps I can react better....
Today's thought is:
It doesn't matter what your aim, there is nothing you can't do if you just begin.
-- Mike Brescia
========
Today's question is:

If you could pick any name you'd like other than your own, which would it be and why??
-- Table Topics
==========

Take care all!
Old 06-26-2003, 06:56 AM   #215  
Momma Frog

Good Morning!!!

Going today to get my new tires. I got a great deal at TiresPlus. They're on the web.

Anyway-
Yes, a week from Friday is the countdown to the 4th. I'm afraid with all the stress of the house I won't make my goal of 10lbs. I haven't even lost one yet!! Bummer.

Started walking again yesterday after lunch. Dog hot, but the stroll felt good. AND I wasn't starving like I usually am around 2 or 3pm. I did have a few veggie flavored crackers when I got home at 5:30 because I felt a little shakie. Dinner wasn't that great chicken hotdogs (I don't eat the beef ones, only chicken or turkey) and oven fries. But it was good.
Tonight I'm making quesadillas. Just tortillas and cheese but baked in the oven topped with salsa. SO Yummy.

Plan on walking again today.

Hope everyone is OK. I'll be back on later!
Old 06-26-2003, 07:04 AM   #216  
Momma Frog

"If you could pick any name you'd like other than your own, which would it be and why??
-- Table Topics"

I like my own name. My first name is after my mom's favorite soap opera character Amanda Cory (?) on Another World or some show. And my middle name is Grace who was my great grandmother. She lived to be 101. She was tickled to have a someone named after her.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:36 AM   #217  

Hi, Rockets! Yesterday was a sort of good Fresh Start for me except no real exercise (too darn hot!). But overall I was satisfied.

Punkin - still sending best vibes to you and Mom. Kaylets, sorry you're so stressed, hang in and feel our support. Arabella, sounds really difficult and not sure it's something I could handle very well. Much loved Dad relieved his stress similarly and I can still see fallout in the family that I think is related. Although fortunately no one else seems to have selected that particular stress reliever. I think we've all chosen food (Dad liked that too).

zadie, how marvelous you're in remission. Facing the bar must seem easy compared to facing cancer. Frogger, how great to have a house that size to start out. I remember how HUGE our $142 mortgage payment seemed when we moved to this house years ago. And what a great time (ratewise) to pick up a mortgage.

wsw, I'm borrowing your term "technical difficulties" for a while though things are better by loads. And Wildfire, I'm acutely aware of that "sharing" hissy thing. I know this new computer is technically DHs but I hate to have him touch it (he messes things up even more than I do). But I can't really have a hissy about it.

Punkin, has stepdad ever tried the supplement MSM for his RA? I have been doing better and able to get off some nasty stuff since I've been on that. Old duh forgot to increase that when I increased the other med and didn't really start improving until I remembered I was on such a low dose of it. I know it doesn't help everyone (as is usual) but for me, it's been a blessing. I heard about it when the late James Coburn was relating the story of his bout with RA and how it helped him. Fortunately my MD has an open minded approach and said go for it and see as it wouldn't HURT anything if it didn't work. It was only after I was off some of the heavy meds (and had my two new knees) that I felt I could tackle the weight problem. And a lot (but surely not all) of my weight I do attribute to the meds and inability to move.

Anyway, I relate to the "find your joy" message. I think JOY is one of the most powerful words right there with love. My favorite piece of music is ODE TO JOY (Beethoven's 9th, I think). DS teases me constantly with little joy, joy, joy comments but I think he's glad to have a mother who thinks that way rather than the opposite. And this a.m. I was up early and out on the patio for breakfast and a read while DH slept in. Will head out again for a second cup of green now.

Forgive the length - it's been a while.
Old 06-26-2003, 08:42 AM   #218  

Just used Punkin's "copy" hint to save above post after I was cut off. Whew! would never have been able to remember all that.

Few more - Labor Day's fine with me but I also like Hero's Day (since we are that as well). At one point I had lost a lb on this challenge but suspect that's gone and several more came back with it. Today's "official" weigh in but I'm tempted to skip.

I like my name well enough though it's long with my long last name (it's a double name). I've never liked to be called by just the first part - it's the name of both my Mom and DHs Mom and also my Dear Dad always insisted on both. Family uses a nickname and DH uses a different one. I've suggested people could call me by second part but that has never worked for some reason (at one point early on, I didn't like that either as Dad had sister with that part - both named for his Grandmother and one of my Mom's. And yes, I think big difference in being funny and sense of humor. I don't think I'm funny at all but like to think I have a sense of humor (esp. irony).
Anyway, off before my tea cools and this post gets as long as the last.
Old 06-26-2003, 09:54 AM   #219  
caffeine free!

Hello,
I am sitting at my desk with my pedometer in my pocket thinking that sitting at the desk is not going to make the numbers go up, and what a shame that is.

I could see hero's day as a viable option as well. It is easier for me to conceptualize short term goals.

I agreee about wanting to get up a process for awhile before actually haveing to start the day. I would love to do that, but for some reason I never get up till the very last minute.

QOD: never really wanted a different name. Will not even change my last name, at least not unless we both change our names to something totally different. I have a professor who did that. However, my boyfriend is named Leif Erickson, so it would really be a shame if he changed his last name.
Old 06-26-2003, 11:04 AM   #220  
Is it Friday yet?

Happy Friday eve!

Yesterday was a good day - my wonderful stepdad put up my screen door so now I can leave my front door open! Then, FedEx showed up with the two 63" cat towers my Mom and I bought on EBay a couple weeks ago - and he put them together for us. My 3 girls were beyond happy playing in, on and around their new toy last night.

Mums finds out today how the tumor board meeting went yesterday. for no more surgery and we can start treatment!

Arabella, I love the early me-time too. Weekends I'm still up around 6am (darned internal alarm clock!) but I enjoy watching the sunrise, reading my paper and having some time to be a slug before getting to my weekend projects!

Wildfire - I'm glad you checked in, I was starting to wonder where you disappeared to! Hope your computer's feeling better soon (tell hubby to share nice until then).

Kaylets, here ya go.... (virtually handing over freshly printed cards). The Fresh Start cards have an expiration date of "as soon as possible" and the No Guilt cards can be used at any time...

Frogger - Actually, hot dog din-din is one of my favorite 'I don't really feel like cooking' meals! A couple freezer fries, an ear of corn.... voila! Gourmet cuisine! (gee, can't tell I was raised by my Dad huh? Poor-boys, TV dinners and frozen burritoes were considered eating good!)

Anagram, what is MSM? I know he's been on a small dose of prednisone for awhile (it also helps with his colitis) and he's tried Vioxx (worked for awhile) and has been looking at coral calcium and a few other supplements. I just started taking flax seed oil and I've heard it's supposed to help with RA too, but I haven't looked in to it yet. I know he'd be willing to try anything - except quitting smoking - which is probably the one thing that *would* make him feel better on a few different fronts.

Zadie, your boyfriend's name is Leif Erickson? Whatta kick! Was he named after the explorer or a descendant?

Q o' the Day - I'd stick with my name too. I'm named after one of my Mom's best friends in highschool (Teresa) - I wish I'd met her though. My middle name is from my paternal grandmother (Elizabeth) who died before I was born. If I *had* to pick another name, I'd choose my middle name, I like it a lot and if I ever had a daughter she'd be an Elizabeth too.

Today.... buying paint for my bedroom and tonight attending a going away "party" of sorts for my Mom's and my Dr. She's quitting her practice to teach at our local university. We'll miss her, but if she can reproduce herself in some of her students it'll be well worth it! She's a great lady and an awesome doctor...

Toodles for now,

Terri
Old 06-26-2003, 12:29 PM   #221  
Spreadin' the luv.

Unhappy Struggling out of the fuzzies...

G'Morning, Sparkly ladies!

Ah, I've been a naughty girl, totally wussed out on my exercise in the last week, and caught myself not checking in HERE as a result. Classic behavior.

I blame Harry Potter. I've been reading the 5th book and have gotten NO housework and NO exercise done at all. Now the book's finished (whimper) and I feel sort of spaced-out. And guilty. Drat.

I know part of my exercise problem is that it's currently painful, but I also firmly believe that I need to keep at it until my muscles accustom themselves to walking fast.

So, hand me a "fresh start" card, someone. I can't stop struggling. I always feel worse about being overweight when I'm not actually doing anything about it.

Thanks for your support and stories, ladies. I've been keeping close tabs on all of you. Frogger especially, good on ya for getting such a wonderful-sounding house!

Gotta go, lots of work today, but thanks for being here, you guys. Sometimes you're literally the only thing that keeps me trying to get fit.

Adios...
Old 06-26-2003, 01:14 PM   #222  
caffeine free!

Hello,
Cersie - wasn't the book great? I loved it. I want the next one to come out tomorow, or next month. Adn yet I am certain that it will be at least another two years and more likely another three years. So I guess I will just have to reread!

Congrats on the new cat towner Punkinseed. Keep them occupied with towers and they will reward you with amazingly cute behaviour.

I do not know the actual rationale behind Leif's name. Aparently he came very close to being naamed Thor. Lets just say there is a little bit of Norwegian in the family.
Old 06-26-2003, 07:02 PM   #223  

Having another good day so far. Hope you're all sharing.

MSM is something very long but the S is for sulphur. It's easily available like in Wal-Mart, etc. Maybe there was something to that old sulphur and molasses thing in the springtime? You'd find it with the glucosamine and in some cases available in combo with that.

Went to the pool for a good hourlong workout today. Ate lunch, fell asleep for a looong nap. I'm going to get back to more pool work as I really think it helps me. Weight is not good but I am feeling less hippy all the time. Slacks getting more loose again - or do I have an active imagination?
Old 06-27-2003, 06:21 AM   #224  

Default Finally Friday!

Hello all!!

Cannot believe next weekend we'll be at July 4!!

Time just seems to go by faster and faster.

Today's thought is:

"It's not enough to reach for the brass ring, you must enjoy the merryground ride," Julie Andrews.

Today's question is:
"Your house, containing everything you own, catches fire; after saving your loved ones and your pets, you have time to safely make a final dash to save any one item. What would it be?"
Book of Questions-- Gregory Stock,Ph.d

DH is not working today to start getting yard sale ready so I am out the door for early start.

Anyone else noticing their workouts suddenly got harder?? I learned the hard way a while back that the heat makes is a enormous factor when excercising. I learned the hard way to listen to my body.

Take care!
Old 06-27-2003, 06:50 AM   #225  
HRH Arabella, Woods Nymph

S/C/G: 256/ticker/165

Height: 5'8

Good morning Firecrackers!

NSV this a.m. - my capri pants from last year finally wore out (well, they were second-hand to start with) and I tossed them. But then had only long pants to wear. In desperation, I remembered another second-hand pair of capris I'd gotten. I had to move a chair to get into the closet and was thinking, "Why am I even bothering when I know they are going to be too tight?" They were tight last year, which is why I wore out the other pair. I was thinking that I was heavier than last summer. I even had visions of not being able to pull them up To my surprise, though, I got into them -- and while they are snug, they are not uncomfortable and look okay. All hail the Goddess Lycra!

Thanks, Kaylets! You are such a constant source of inspiration!
Time does seem to go faster and faster. I think the only way to make it slow down a little is to really pay attention. Woke up this morning with that nasty old End-o-month feeling. Like there would be no enjoyment of life until I got to the other side. Then I thought, "No. Today's the day!" Whatever is going on, today is what we've got and we'd better live it.

I guess I would save my bed. 200 years old, traveled from Virginia to Missouri by covered wagon in 1855, then to Toronto about a hundred years later, and now to me on PEI.

Punkin, hooray for your screen door! Wanna send DSD up this way? Yesterday was 30 (about 86 fahrenheit) and humid. Probably about 35 in my study. Iiiiiiiiii'm meeeeeeellllltiiiiiing (if only!)

Name: I would take "Arabella" I think. My real name is Ivy, and I like that pretty well although I wasn't crazy about it as a kid. Too different!

Anagram, glad you're feeling better. And less hippy, too

Zadie, Leif Erikson! What a great name, esp. for a boyfriend! I worked with a guy called Erik Viking once...

Cerise, this is a great spot for support, isn't it! Sometimes I feel like I'm always trying to lose weight, but sometimes I'm REALLY trying...

Love to all! Let's make this a good one!

Last edited by Arabella; 06-27-2003 at 08:33 AM.
Closed Thread