Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-05-2012, 09:44 AM   #31  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

Baby steps, guys.

We don't all start eating properly on day 1 of learning how to eat.

If this plan helps the OP get through the day reasonably while not resulting in binging later on due to over-restriction, then so be it.

I don't know about you, but I've maintained for 8 years, and it took YEARS of teaching myself eating habits to get to this point. Remember, this isn't something to be "cured", it's a learned habit which must be unlearned and retrained.

Good for you OP
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:45 AM   #32  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

tricorn. I see you are upset at someones post. Anything posted here is strictly the posters experience or thought. Take it or leave it, but don't get upset about someones opinion, they are entitled to it.
bargoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:33 AM   #33  
too big to fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricon7 View Post
Per the article, this dietician gave scientific evidence that his particular diet was not unhealthy - regardless of whether you believe it or not - though it's not what I would want to use for myself.

If you're going to make a blanket judgment about a diet being "unhealthy" (whatever your peculiar definition of this means) you're going to have to produce something other than just your opinion to back it up. And this is for *his* diet, much less mine. Or are you saying that your own diet (which I'm assuming is "healthy," as you base a successful diet on this sole criteria) is the only valid diet anyone should be on? Is anyone else's diet that doesn't have your X, Y, or Z ingredients wrong, unhealthy, and will fail?

I get the distinct impression that you're upset that someone would dare to go on a diet that doesn't fit your definition of what a good diet should be. And you're coming across like a fearmonger who bullies and tries to scare people into dieting the way you think they should. Your belligerent and intolerant attitude toward the diets of others is shocking.
Rest assured I am equally shocked at your reaction to what I consider to be a helpful suggestion. I guess the lesson here is not to get between a man and his peppermint patties.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:42 AM   #34  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

Demosthenes-- very graceful reply

Tricon- eat whatever the **** you want! I PERSONALLY cant do sugar when im in weightloss modes (triggers mad sugar binges) but when i am in maintenance mode (for almost 2 years, basically) i HAVE to allow myself candy, DAILY. I love it. Yes, i still eat fruits and veggies.

I commend you if you are able to feel satisfied off of one piece of chocolate! AND that it doesnt make you eat MORE of them. THATS self control
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:48 AM   #35  

This must be a late April Fool joke. Peppermint patties several times a day instead of nourishing food is not very smart.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 10:50 AM   #36  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

blah blah blah...

If I dont eat chocolate every single day I will binge. Period. For me it is 50-150 calories planned that saves THOUSANDS of calories later. I lost 60 lbs eating chocolate EVERY SINGLE DAY and pizza (white flour, fullfat cheese from a pizza parlor) EVERY SINGLE WEEK

Is tricon's diet boring? For me it would be BUT some studies have shown that repetitive diets are MUCH more successful. So thumbs up. If it works for you more power to you. There is a decent array of nutrition in there, I've certainly seen MUCH worse. Even on this board

As for the replace a patty with fruit suggestions. Huh. Thats nice if it works for you, but while chocolate curbs my cravings and satisfies my hunger, fruit sends me into a voracious eating cycle....especially if eaten as a snack. So I am GLAD it works for you all (the generic group insisting he would be better off with fruit). But maybe it wouldnt work for him. It wouldnt for me. Ever. At. All.

Would Tricon's plan work for me? No. But then again he wasnt trying to sell it to me. Or you.

Last edited by ennay; 04-05-2012 at 10:51 AM.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:02 AM   #37  

S/C/G: 163/128/125

Height: 5'5

I'm really quite surprised at some of the reactions here. It's not a perfect meal plan but it's not the worst either. It's not starvation, it's not zero vegetable, it's not zero nutrient, the poster says it helps them balance their cravings while improving eating habits for the short term, I don't get the problem.

OP is not saying they will eat 3 chocolates a day for life. Maybe he will. So what. If you all started this journey and years later have maintained on a perfect balance of fruit/vegetables/lean proteins/healthy fats, good for you. Your club is pretty small. Most people need more time to overcome lifelong poor habits.
sacha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:17 AM   #38  
Boston Qualifier and MOM

Height: 5'3.75"

I actually find the plan refreshing. People usually post plans for 2 reasons. Either things are not working and they are looking for help. Or things ARE working and they want to share (and possibly help someone else).

Tricon is the latter. And I find his plan refreshing because usually when someone posts what works for them in detail it is a "perfect diet" by whatever system they deem perfect. NO sugar. Lowfat. Lowcarb. Vegan. "I eat my veggies everyday without fail and never ever ever induldge"

We have people on this board following all sorts of plans. Atkins. Southbeach. Weight watchers. Traditional Lowfat. Intermittent Fasting. And about a zillion others that I dont know the names or that dont have names. We all learn from eachother. If you know what works for you GREAT!!. If you dont, you can be inspired by someone elses share. And maybe someone is inspired to work a little fun in their diet and get off the austere or fail struggle that they may be having.
ennay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:22 AM   #39  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by ennay View Post
Is tricon's diet boring? For me it would be BUT some studies have shown that repetitive diets are MUCH more successful.
This. I live alone, so I cook all my food for the week on Sunday, then I eat the same thing for breakfast, lunch, and dinner every single day that week. Would that work for everyone? No. But for me, it's the smartest way to plan my food for the week so I don't have to think about it, and it helps keep me from stopping on the way home to pick up something I'll likely regret later, or worse, wander through the grocery store hungry and come out with binge foods.

Whatever works for us is what works for us. If this is what works for tricon, more power to him, I say. Lots of people here think I have an eating disorder because I fast twice a week and don't eat any grains or dairy, but that's what works for me.

(Though I can't eat that many peppermint patties. I LOVE mint and dark chocolate more than anything, but after one or two they start to taste like chemicals to me. Guess I'm just lucky!)

Last edited by thistoo; 04-05-2012 at 11:24 AM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:32 AM   #40  
Brighter than the moon!

S/C/G: 220/ticker/145

Height: 5'4

If it works for you, stick with it

I myself cannot go without chocolate each day, and sugar-free things don't work for me (I have an allergy).

I recently got myself a popcorn maker - I can air pop the kernals and I don't need to add butter or oil - I use it as my pre-bed snack as well, so it was just another way to shave off some calories (I get HUNGRY at night and if I don't eat I'll get a headache/wake up ready to eat my cat).
stellarosa27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:35 AM   #41  

Height: 5'0"

Wasn't there a study done that found the average person eats the same 20 foods over and over again (or something like that... I can't remember exactly).

Even without trying, my diet is repetitive. It's just... the nature of the beast. There are foods I like. Foods I don't like. Foods I tend to feed my kids/Hubby. Foods no one will touch. Sure, variety is nice and all, but I think many of us probably eat the same meals over and over again, if not on a daily basis.

That said, my vote is for gummi bears for candy of choice. Screw the chocolate. Give me straight up sugar.
banananutmuffin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 11:44 AM   #42  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

Height: 5'4"

redvines/red licorice, please and MIke 'n Ikes! i AGREE, STRAIGHT UP SUGAR
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:42 PM   #43  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

Personally i am starting to question what the point is of my 180-degree switch to an all whole-foods, low-ish carb diet. I haven't lost any weight. In fact there have been many times in my life when i was lighter and eating crap. i know it's healthier to eat whole foods, but sometimes i wish i could just LOSE WEIGHT...my health is not in trouble i.e. i've never had cholesterol problems or anything like that. Sometimes it's hard not to just give in and eat crap since my body doesn't seem to recognize any difference.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:50 PM   #44  

S/C/G: 133.4/123.2/115

Quote:
Originally Posted by surfergirl2 View Post
Personally i am starting to question what the point is of my 180-degree switch to an all whole-foods, low-ish carb diet. I haven't lost any weight. In fact there have been many times in my life when i was lighter and eating crap. i know it's healthier to eat whole foods, but sometimes i wish i could just LOSE WEIGHT...my health is not in trouble i.e. i've never had cholesterol problems or anything like that. Sometimes it's hard not to just give in and eat crap since my body doesn't seem to recognize any difference.
Are you still on a plan? I prefer to eat mostly whole foods, but I have to count calories either way, because I'd gain if I ate limitless food.
Munchy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 12:56 PM   #45  

S/C/G: 164/--/--

Height: 5'7"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munchy View Post
Are you still on a plan? I prefer to eat mostly whole foods, but I have to count calories either way, because I'd gain if I ate limitless food.
I definitely count calories too...i admit that i have been eating way too many calories lately and that's why i'm not losing weight. I guess i thought switching to whole foods would make me less hungry and less prone to overeating...but not so.
surfergirl2 is offline   Reply With Quote