Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 04-04-2012, 06:04 PM   #16  

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricon7 View Post
I'll take a multi-vitamin instead.

This isn't a lifelong diet - just until I get to my goal. I'll be sure and add fruit in then. And I'm darn lucky that I'm *only* eating 3 PPs a day; I'm a voracious sugar-lover.
Well, a multi-vitamin will never replace the nutrients in food. You're absorbing minimal nutrients from a vitamin, whereas food is readily bioavailable.
Euphy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:08 PM   #17  
Stephanie

S/C/G: 236/135-140/More Fit

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brummy View Post
Why would you need to eat just before bed?
I'm guessing because she wants to.

There's nothing wrong with eating before bed. It's about calorie deficit. If that works for someone that's great, if it doesn't, then don't do it. Everyone does what works for them.
LockItUp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:10 PM   #18  
Stephanie

I understand, to a point, why people are questioning her choices here. BUT, she is eating more veggies in her day than a good lot of people do. She wasn't really asking if everyone thought it was ok, she was sharing something she is excited about. Honestly I think it's probably a lot healthier than many people eat on a daily basis!!!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #19  
Caroline

Height: 5'0"

Quote:
Originally Posted by LockItUp View Post
I understand, to a point, why people are questioning her choices here. BUT, she is eating more veggies in her day than a good lot of people do. She wasn't really asking if everyone thought it was ok, she was sharing something she is excited about. Honestly I think it's probably a lot healthier than many people eat on a daily basis!!!
I believe the OP is a 'he', but otherwise, sure, whatever works.

Last edited by thistoo; 04-04-2012 at 06:25 PM.
thistoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #20  
Stephanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by thistoo View Post
I believe the OP is a 'he', but otherwise, whatever works for him.
Oops, my bad!
Old 04-04-2012, 06:25 PM   #21  
too big to fail

I wonder how long the OP has been on this plan. It takes a while to determine what sort of diet will work long term. For me, that means about six weeks. That said, I wish I could have so many peppermint patties! I've sworn off those sorts of empty calories in favor of fruits and veg.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 08:18 PM   #22  

S/C/G: 245 / 189 / 170

Height: 5"4

If ita working for you that's great and I know you didnt really ask for advice but I also just want to mention that thinking of your weight loss as "just doing it until I reach my goal" could possibly be setting up for regaining all that you lose. By eating the exact same things everyday and not trying to learn other healthy eating habits you'll be in trouble when you need to maintain or when you get bored of it. I know it's easy to to just buy and eat the same thing but ita really not hard to at least come up with a weekly meal plan instead of copying the same one everyday.

I also want to mention... I love popcorn too an I don't think the occasional bag is bad but if you eat it everyday I would seriously urge to consider making your own with a paper lunch sack and kernels !the FDA is coming out with scary things about the bags and flavorings they use (such as diacetyl for that butter taste, ita very bad for your lungs;
Quote:
A second potential danger in microwave popcorn is diacetyl, an FDA-approved chemical found in the fake butter flavoring. There’s even a debilitating respiratory disease called “popcorn workers lung,” (the medical name of the condition is bronchiolitis obliterans) suffered by microwave popcorn factory workers caused by extended inhalation of the chemical’s fumes. The National Institute for Occupational Safety and Health, (NIOSH) concluded that diacetyl needs further study so that workers in the flavorings and snack industry are no longer at risk
As well as other potential cancer causing agents:
Quote:
A report from the FDA indicates that a chemical coating used in microwave popcorn bags breaks down when heated into a substance called perfluorooctanoic (PFOA). The Environmental Protection Agency has identified PFOA as a “likely carcinogen.” Another study has found an acid that can be extracted from the chemical causes cancer in animals and is “likely to cause cancer in humans"
I'm sorry I'd post links but I can't yet. There's lots of info out there though.
You can make your own popcorn without all this that taste just as good if you want to eat it every single day. it's just dangerous to more than your weight to keep using the microwave bags. i gave them up many years ago and just pop my own in a lunch sack, spritz with butter Pam and sprinkle with sea salt.

as for the peppermints, I would also encourage switching at least 2 of them for fruits but if it's something you can't do without then its something you can't do without. I love sweet tea and the first week of my diet was miserable because I wanted it so bad. I decided I had to have it and reworked it to be made wih only 1/2c of sugar instead of 1 full cup. which takes the calories in my glass down to 22 (for 1.5c) instead of 60. I enjoy 2-3 of those 1.5c's a day. it's just something I couldnt give up, but I did find a way to make my addiction healthier! Maybe you could try something like breaking up a regular sized mint into 3 pieces and freezing them, sucking on a piece when you want the flavor so that it last longer and you only have 1 whole one a day instead of 3?
Alyj89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:09 PM   #23  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

I've been doing calorie-counting for about a year now, and I lost 31 lbs. doing it, although I've gained back a few of those due to a move out-of-state.

This diet is working great for me and I have no intention of changing it. My only modification to it when I reach my goal is to add some more daily calories and some fruit - and perhaps a little more foods flexibility than now, but I can't overdo it; too much variety sidetracks my diet. I'll still have to calorie-count if I want to keep my weight off.

As far as my health on this particular diet is concerned, and that only a multi-vitamin and lack of fruit is going to be bad for me, I suggest reading this article:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08...sor/index.html

Last edited by tricon7; 04-04-2012 at 11:28 PM.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:18 PM   #24  

S/C/G: 331/164/164

Height: 5'8"

I find this diet to be of very questionable judgment. Everyone knows that the best candy to eat is Kit Kats!
KittyKatFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:36 PM   #25  
Stephanie

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKatFan View Post
I find this diet to be of very questionable judgment. Everyone knows that the best candy to eat is Kit Kats!
I agree!
Old 04-04-2012, 11:51 PM   #26  

S/C/G: size 20/14/10

Height: 5' 7"

Interesting. I eat one mini mint 3 musketeers many days a week. I'm guessing this guy has learned my little peppermint secret. I bet some of you might not know that peppermint candy, peppermint tea and peppermint oil can have a laxative effect?

Last edited by mariposssa; 04-05-2012 at 12:03 AM.
mariposssa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 11:58 PM   #27  
too big to fail

Quote:
Originally Posted by tricon7 View Post
I've been doing calorie-counting for about a year now, and I lost 31 lbs. doing it, although I've gained back a few of those due to a move out-of-state.

This diet is working great for me and I have no intention of changing it. My only modification to it when I reach my goal is to add some more daily calories and some fruit - and perhaps a little more foods flexibility than now, but I can't overdo it; too much variety sidetracks my diet. I'll still have to calorie-count if I want to keep my weight off.

As far as my health on this particular diet is concerned, and that only a multi-vitamin and lack of fruit is going to be bad for me, I suggest reading this article:

http://www.cnn.com/2010/HEALTH/11/08...sor/index.html

Yeah, you could also lose weight eating a caloric deficit's worth of raw sewage if you wanted to, but it's not healthy. That's really the nutritionist's point. And, as others have said here it's not just about losing weight it's about learning to make better, more healthy choices throughout your weight loss and maintenance period. You can argue all you want about how it's working for you but the fact is that a lot of what you eat are empty calories devoid of vitamins and fiber that just aren't good for your long term health.
Demosthenes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:12 AM   #28  

S/C/G: 213/188/159

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demosthenes View Post
Yeah, you could also lose weight eating a caloric deficit's worth of raw sewage if you wanted to, but it's not healthy.
Per the article, this dietician gave scientific evidence that his particular diet was not unhealthy - regardless of whether you believe it or not - though it's not what I would want to use for myself.

If you're going to make a blanket judgment about a diet being "unhealthy" (whatever your peculiar definition of this means) you're going to have to produce something other than just your opinion to back it up. And this is for *his* diet, much less mine. Or are you saying that your own diet (which I'm assuming is "healthy," as you base a successful diet on this sole criteria) is the only valid diet anyone should be on? Is anyone else's diet that doesn't have your X, Y, or Z ingredients wrong, unhealthy, and will fail?

I get the distinct impression that you're upset that someone would dare to go on a diet that doesn't fit your definition of what a good diet should be. And you're coming across like a fearmonger who bullies and tries to scare people into dieting the way you think they should. Your belligerent and intolerant attitude toward the diets of others is shocking.

Last edited by tricon7; 04-05-2012 at 08:21 AM.
tricon7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 08:33 AM   #29  

I like how you found some tasty treat to include in your daily diet: the peppermint patty. Yes, you could have a couple of oranges or apples instead of that, but perhaps then you'd feel deprived of something you truly enjoy eating and then feel the need to binge. As long as this diet works for you, I say keep going!
Natasha22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2012, 09:08 AM   #30  
Overweight again...dang

S/C/G: 213/160.3/135

Height: 5'5"

I'm glad to see you're not depriving yourself of sugar lust, and you're incorporating it sensibly in to your diet. I'm sure as time goes by, you can tweek your plan as necessary, but it's good to see you've found that menu plan that works and you're able to stick with! Good luck!!

P.S. I personally vote for Dove dark chocolate miniatures as the only worthy sweets, but I won't judge.

Last edited by twinieten; 04-05-2012 at 09:24 AM.
twinieten is offline   Reply With Quote