Old 02-12-2006, 01:41 PM   #541  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

Hey, Cassie, big is great, my old eyes don't do so well with the little tiny pics. Bet Leslie will hate that picture with her eyes shut when she gets a little older. I think it is adorable and just the kind that mothers love to show off to the daughters friends when they are teenagers. DeShawn, bless his heart, looks like he's getting a head start on his birthday cake.

Have you got any bigger pictures of the girls, Paula. I mean, the little one is cute, but I'd love to see something a bit larger.

Energy Density, Barb, is simply the ratio between the grams of food and the calories. In other words, Calories divided by grams, equals ED. Calories divided by millilitres isn't quite accurate for liquids but it is close enough. Basically, it just says to take advantage of the natural water that is in the food.

Nothing really new. We all know that lettuce (and most non-starchy vegetables) have a lot less calories than bread and meat. Where it comes in really handy (IMO) is when you are reading labels on frozen dinners and such in the grocery store . . . if calories are about equal to or less than grams in a serving, it is a good food for weight control. Conversely, if calories are more than twice the grams. . . leave it in the store.

The other thing that I like is that it confirms the fact that water-based soups and stews are great when you are trying to lose. They can provide you with a lot more to eat (i.e., volume) without adding calories as compared to just putting a bit of meat and veggies on the plate. And for me, that is definitely part of the secret . . . I have to be full. Consequently I eat a lot of salad (with FF dressing, of course) and I make a lot of brothy soups full of non-starchy vegetables.

There is a review about "Volumetrics" in the DIETS section on this site. Look at the headings across the top of the page. In Diets section, click on "diets detailed" at the left.

Hope this all helps

Last edited by meowee; 02-12-2006 at 01:49 PM.
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 02:32 PM   #542  
Barb

Smile

Thanks Linda,

Will check it out!

Also I've been checking through the recipes for inspiration,so will check them too. I love soups, especially 'Homemade' with lots of different veggies and barley to fill up.
britchick7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 03:37 PM   #543  
MasterHarper

Height: 5'5"

Linda - I didn't realise you were a Trekkie, or, if you mentioned it, I missed it - sorry! Do you post on TrekBBS by any chance?

Paula - your girls are so cute - how old are they?

Barb - I'm calorie couting also. I aim to keep mine between 1250 and 1350, although up to 1500 is OK on occasion. Terry Pratchett is one my my big faves, along with Star Trek and Anne McCaffrey. I don't have a particular favourite although I do rather like the Death stories ad the City Watch ones. But I like all of them.

Cassie - your kids are beautiful!

I will have to dig out a pic of my little one also.
Robsia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 04:00 PM   #544  
Lois

Hi Ladies,

Gosh ya'll have been busy here. I hope I can keep up!

Cheryl, glad you had a good Saturday and that breakfast you had does sound good. I have egg beaters for breakfast, but boy did they take getting used to! I like the cheese but I think my fav is the southwest... I like spicey foods.

Robsia, don't feel bad... I had my weigh in this morning and I have no loss for the week. The scale has not moved in three days, in fact I am up .5 lb., now don't you feel better!

garnetfairy, I was wondering where you were... glad you found us again! WTG on that workout ...sounds like you had a good one.

Hi Cassie, and to the group. Your kids are real cutie pies. Thanks for sharing

Tina, congrats on that confident fit. You know it's become a habit when I think about exercising on my chosen day off. Hope the scale is good to you on Mon. as well :

Barb, I totally relate to your weight loss efforts. We are happy that you joined us... the more support and ecouragement, the better. As far as diet prgrams, I am not following any, I am simply counting calories and exercising... so far it's working for me This site has been one of the keys for me and the ladies on this thread have really kept me going. I look forward to your posts.

Linda, with the weather you're having there... I'm starting to appreciate the weather here in Mich.

Paula, aww your twins are just too cute. My little one is three and he has Down Syndrome but boy is he a busy body. He was fortunate in that he was not born with any of the associated defects... his biggest delay right now is speech and potty traing... arghh

I'm having a good day despite my weigh in... There was no change in the last three days so for the week, I am up .5 lb. I think it's water retention... perhaps too much sodium.

Hope everyone is having a good Sunday

Thought i'd share pics of my little man Isaiah:

ladylane06 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 05:01 PM   #545  

S/C/G: 240/219/135

Default Bigger Pics

I can't figure out how to upload the pictures! It told my my picture was to big! Then I cut my picture to 500 x 500 and it said upload failed! Sorry, I am totally computer dumb!!!!

Last edited by mama4dmkd; 02-12-2006 at 05:28 PM.
mama4dmkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:03 PM   #546  
Red Team Member

S/C/G: 289/206.5/140

Height: 5'4"

Quote:
Originally Posted by mama4dmkd
I can't figure out how to upload the pictures! It told my my picture was to big! Then I cut my picture to 500 x 500 and it said upload failed! Sorry, I am totally computer dumb!!!!
I THINK I returned your PM, lol...so I hope you got it okay!

Thanks, girls, I am quite proud of them!
I'll be back to chat later, I am in the middle of cooking dinner...and BOY is it smelling good. Gotta watch my portions!

ladylane06, he is a DOLL! What a little sweetheart!
Cassie501107 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 06:30 PM   #547  
Onward and Downward

Oh wow, the storm is really roaring out there now . . . I don't even want to look out . . . the cats are hiding under the bed, it's so loud.

Never fear, Robsia. You didn't miss it, I never mentioned it. I'm so old I go way back to the original series (I mean when it was really first on the air and William Shatner still actually had real hair). The "Trouble with Tribbles" will always be one of my very favourite episodes and, of course, I also loved the DS9 take-off on it. The special effects from that original series look pretty Mickey Mouse now, but it was state-of-the-art at the time.

I'm also a big McCaffrey fan although I haven't see anything new from her in quite a few years. Wouldn't it be wonderful if that white dragon was real? I think he'd fit in well with my cats. I've never read anything by Pratchett, but since we both seem to have the other stuff in common, I think I'll take a look. . . any particular suggestion for a good place to start? I've never heard of the TrekBBS either, but think I'll go take a look at that also.

Oh wow, Lois . . . that is one sweet looking kid and he definitely has a devlish little twinkle in his eyes. Sorry, you are computer-challenged like me, Paula. I won't even try to post pictures of my granddaughters and I don't imagine anybody cares that I can't post pictures of my 40-something and 30-something sons, either.

Anyway, my stomach is telling me it is dinner time. Have a great evening everybody. See you later. Beam me up, Scotty!
Old 02-12-2006, 07:27 PM   #548  
Lois

Cassie and Linda, thanks... he really is sweet but he has his moments

Paula, it's not totally you... I got an error too when I tried to attach my pics. I ended up having to link them. You can do this as well if you have a host site, if not, you can email them to me and I'll post them for you.

[email protected]
Old 02-12-2006, 07:48 PM   #549  
determined to lose

I dont know if I did this right but if I did, this is my family. me, brother, son, daughter in law, dad, and mom

http://i23.photobucket.com/albums/b3...y/HPIM2873.jpg

Last edited by garnetfairy; 02-12-2006 at 08:25 PM.
garnetfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 07:55 PM   #550  
Lois

Yes it did... the link works fine! Nice picture... hmmm now let me guess.... the couple in the middle, your son and his wife, maybe? The older couple, your parents? The guy with the long hair, your brother? ...and you! if I'm wrong then help me out...
Old 02-12-2006, 07:57 PM   #551  
Lois

Okay, I just saw your previous post... hey! I was right!
Old 02-12-2006, 08:23 PM   #552  
determined to lose

linda, robsia, tina, thanks for the welcome backs everyone
tina - happy birthday

Everyone's little ones are soo cute. Mine is all grown up and married now, he is 23 already and just out of the army.

Barb - I am doing South Beach. I am trying to go back to phase 1 because I went overboard on the bran flakes and stuff on phase 2. Although I did have green peas tonight it was only half a cup even though they are only allowed on phase 1 and 2 because they are considered a starch. I love em.

I hope everyone is doing well and staying on program! Kee up the good work Cheryl! and all you other diet divas! Together we can be big losers!!

I had another good day at the gym but I couldnt resist doing the weight circuit...I know I should wait a day between sessions, but I love doing the machines. They make me feel like I am really toning up this flab. I did do something I never do. I did some floor exercises, crunches, heel touches and ball leg raises or is that leg ball raises. Anyway, I got the moves off the PC somewhere called www.getfusionfit.com
garnetfairy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 09:18 PM   #553  
Onward and Downward

Good picture, Garnet. Your brother looks like someone I know, but I can't put my finger on who. . . funny, uh . . . unless he gets around the whole continent . . . I know I've never been to Texas.
Old 02-12-2006, 10:12 PM   #554  

S/C/G: 240/219/135

Default Pictures!

LOOK! Finally! Thank you! I have been trying to do that allll afternoon! I didn't get any working out done! Oh well It is Sunday!

mama4dmkd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:43 PM   #555  
Lois

I love the pics Paula, especially the third one with them all. You have some great looking kids there!