Old 01-16-2005, 12:19 AM   #166  

Quote:
Originally Posted by corningkat
does anyone read prevention magazine?? it is one of my favorites and very up to date. anyways, the results of a new in-depth study are in about trans fats and high fructose corn syrup. boy was that an real eye opener. it's just too coincidental that the obesity and diabetic rates soared when food makers started putting so much of that stuff in their foods during the 1960's. i'm definitely going to be more careful about label reading.
I don't read Prevention but that article certainly sounds worth the read--is it in the latest issue on newstands now? I too have heard horrible things about high fructose corn syrup and its ties with America's obesity epidemic. I try to be very careful about label reading, but the truth is there is just too much that manufacturers aren't required to tell us right now. Hopefully, in the next few years, the laws will change on that and we'll be able to get more honest and open information on the labels. I'm not sure if the law ever went through, but I heard there was a law that would require ALL restaurants to put nutrition information on their menus starting in 2006. I hope that it passed because that would be SO WONDERFUL!!! I know when I found Dotti's Weight Loss Zone restaurant list and started looking up some of my favorite dishes, I was HORRIFIED to learn how high in fat they were.

I have been sick the past 2 days so I am not eating much but I am very happy that I have stayed on plan with what I HAVE eaten. I have not exercised in two days but hope to be feeling up to at least an abs workout tomorrow or something else that doesn't require jumping about and getting too overworked and sweaty.
SheriaVa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2005, 10:23 PM   #167  

Default hi

hi sheriva - i hope you get to feeling better soon. there is so much going around. don't workout if your not up to it. you will overstress your body and make yourself sicker. that would be a good law if it passes. that article was in the latest prevention. you might be able to find it on prevention.com also.

well, i hope we all have a good week!
kathy
corningkat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2005, 02:12 PM   #168  

Default hi

hi singles!!! thought i'd give us a quick bump up. where is everyone??
kathy
Old 01-19-2005, 07:57 PM   #169  

Thanks for the bump, Kathy. Even though I was home a lot over the long weekend, I was sick for a good bit of it and wasn't spending much time online so I'm behind everywhere! I am a little concerned that the folks who were regulars here before the holidays still haven't made an appearance.
Old 01-21-2005, 12:19 AM   #170  

Default hi

well, sheriva, i guess it is up to us to keep it going till they rejoin us. i hope you are feeling better. i stayed home from work tonite myself. i went to the dr's on tuesday and my blood pressure was thru the roof. she believes it is from that artharitis medicine so i had to quit taking it. now i've run out of choices. anyway, the pressure was down a bit today but i was having dizzy spells so i decided to stay home and rest. i have to monitor it till monday and call the dr. back. i've never had so many medical problems before. it must be my turn i guess.

i'm going back to florida in feb. for services for my dad and spend time with my mom. i'm looking forward to the warmth. she says it's not too warm there only 60-65 during the day. boo hoo! i say, she should try 0 degrees.

have a good friday!
kathy
Old 01-21-2005, 07:59 AM   #171  

I have hypertension too, kathy, so I know what that feels like with the dizzy spells and such...not pleasant! Hope everything gets figured out with your meds and you are feeling better real soon.

How wonderful you get to escape to Florida in February! WOOHOO! Like you said, even 60 degrees would be balmy compared to where we are! DC is usually relatively mild in the winter (compared to where I grew up in Ohio), but we have had some real cold snaps here and I have lived here so long now that I am a total wuss when it comes to cold and snow/ice!
Old 01-22-2005, 10:17 PM   #172  

Default hellooo!!!

hi sheriva! did you get to see the big president's parade? i watched some on tv, but not much, too boring. we are having a snow storm today. so i am cooped up. tomorrow is suppose to be pretty much the same. time to catch up on some sleep.

have a good sunday!
kathy
Old 01-23-2005, 06:27 PM   #173  

No, I didn't go see the Inaugural parade. First, because I am no fan of Mr. Bush and, second, because it was SO horribly cold that day (still is). I didn't even watch it on TV.
Old 01-23-2005, 08:44 PM   #174  

Default hi

hello! i am no fan either, but i didn't want to say anything sarcastic because i didn't want to hurt feelings if you were. he didn't get my vote either. that was the day i stayed home from work and i didn't watch it either. this weather stinks. i can't wait till spring has sprung. i feel cooped up. i had today off because i told my pt job i would only work as a fill-in. i can't handle the 2 jobs right now. all i did was sleep most of the day though. i think it's cuz i'm not feeling up to par. this weather makes it hard for exercise. i can't wait till my trampoline and videos get here. i don't have to worry much about the eating end because i really haven't had much of an appetite lately either.

hey singles!! where did everyone else go?????? yooohooooo!!!!! come out, come out from where ever you are!!

have a good week!
kathy
Old 01-25-2005, 11:56 AM   #175  

Default hi

hey singles! bumping us back up. trying to hold on to our thread. where is everyone???

have a good day!
kathy
Old 01-25-2005, 12:13 PM   #176  
Baby Stepping Along

Hi Kathy and Sheri,
I'm lurking around here. Not spending as much time online as I was before the first of the year. Kathy, I hope you start to feel so much better soon! I'm sure it's hard with the grief and not feeling great physically. I can't wait to hear more about your trampoline.

Things are going fine here. I'm hanging on to the exercise/eating healthy thing by my fingernails but that seems to be enough right now. Met someone new and it is taking a lot of my time, energy and focus but what a wonderful distraction. Fortunately, he is very health minded too and quite supportive of whatever I think I need to do to take care of myself so that is a wonderful thing. I hear from a lot of people about how their SO interferes with their success so I was quite happy to find him so aware on the subject. He runs marathons...yikes!

What else...hmmm...going snowshoeing for the first time this year on Sunday. Looking forward to that. Haven't been out in nature much lately and I need the sunshine and R&R.

That's all for now I guess!

Peg
p7eggyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2005, 06:08 PM   #177  

Quote:
Originally Posted by p7eggyc
Hi Kathy and Sheri,
Fortunately, he is very health minded too and quite supportive of whatever I think I need to do to take care of myself so that is a wonderful thing.
I knew about your new guy but didn't know he was also into the healthy lifestyle...how WONDERFUL! I would love to meet someone like that (as long as he wasn't TOO far in that direction--i.e., a fanatic about it).

You have met at least two great guys just in the short time I've known you. I clearly need to come hang out with you cuz I ain't meeting ANY! Of course, a lot of that is because of ME! I am not the most open person to approach--in fact, I'm told I am intimidating and unapproachable. LOL

You know what? I think that a lot of that is from being heavy for so many years and having guys look THROUGH/PAST me as if I didn't exist and figuring that two can play at THAT game...but now I've gotten too good at looking like I don't give a S**T!
Old 01-26-2005, 12:02 AM   #178  

Default hi

hi singles! glad to hear some conversing going on.

peg- wonderful for you. having someone supportive is half the battle in my book. and like sheriava said maybe i should hang out with you too.

sheriava - i am just the opposite. i am too quiet and unapproachable i guess.

i have been talking to someone but i don't know if it will go anywhere. he is shyer than i am. well, i'm in no hurry anyways. i'd rather be friends first than jumping in with both feet again. i've learned that lesson too many times.

have a great wednesday!
kathy
Old 01-26-2005, 10:44 AM   #179  
Baby Stepping Along

I have to admit to this all being new to me too. Jack did tell me that he was sure a lot of men found me intimidating which I think is probably true. It was nice to hear that he wasn't though. I keep telling myself to stop thinking this but I'm pretty sure he wouldn't have taken a second look 30 lbs ago but that probably isn't fair to him (or me for that matter). We met in the airport so that was just the beginning of what has been a totally out of the ordinary experience! It's pretty darn exciting to say the least. Needless to say I'm going to be eating some crow with some of my friends that kept telling me that it would happen when I least expected it and I kept rolling my eyes at them. hehe I definitely wasn't expecting a flight delay to turn out to be such an awesome beginning.

He found the Passing for Thin book I was reading this weekend. I think he's trying to understand where I'm coming from on all of this weight/healthy eating stuff (join the club! lol).

Peg
p7eggyc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2005, 12:30 AM   #180  

Default hi

hey singles! it is late nite (my usual time) and i'm wide awake as usual. not much going here. been doing really good this week with my eating. i have not been following any diet in particular, just eating salad ( not a big fan) and lots of fruit instead of junk. so far the scale is showing 3lbs. i am happy with that because that scale has done nothing but go up for a while.

peg - sometimes something totally out of the ordinary is good to shake life up a little. i'm glad you are happy. how is that passing for thin book?? i've been thinking of getting it with a gift card i have, i just haven't gotten to the store yet.

sheiva - how is your week going???

have a great friday!
kathy