Old 03-29-2004, 04:02 PM   #31  

Default Salutations!

Hi all! I hope you have room for one more. I've never been in on a forum like this, but I'm just flailing on my own. Not getting anywhere & doing it slowly, too. I've been plumper since meeting my husband 6 years ago and have been even plumper since the birth of my son.

I'm a teacher, but have been on leave since the birth of my son 21 months ago. I'm tutoring two nights a week & taking classes to maintain my certification (left it til the last moment & now have to dash to finish 45 credits by next June -- eek!!). I have a lovely, supportive hubby who despite said support sometimes sabotages the heck outa me. Um, that diet I just started doesn't work when you order fried calamari and 7 flavor beef from the take out joint, baby!

I'm taking hints from people on this forum: food journal, goal-setting, dieting &&&&& exercise. I'd be overjoyed if I could lose 25, but I just seem to be stuck at about 155; I go down (not much) and then pop up again.

Advice and support would both be welcome. It's been encouraging and heartening to read your posts! Thank you!
Missliss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2004, 08:56 PM   #32  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Angry Aaaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhhhhhhhh!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Welcome Missliss. I hope you don't mind *****ing and moaning, because we do a lot of venting here so as to avoid pushing down our emotions with food.

I'M MAD!!! I HAD A BAD DAY, AND AFTER VENTING HERE FOR 10 MINUTES, IT WAS LOST IN CYBERSPACE!!! AAAAAHHHHH!!!!! Okay, let me tell you why I was mad in the first place. In the district I teach in, a tanker exploded on I95 destroying a bridge and the highway between several exits. Travel is a nightmare. Tractor trailors are taking over the side streets to avoid the detour which takes them an hour out of their way. Anyway, we've had a 90 minute delay since then, which I have used to spend more time with DD, take her to school, exercise, and do household chores. I have felt sane for once. Well our stupidintendent who spends her time looking for photo ops and being driven around in her white stretch limo by her $70,000 (in overtime, not including base salary) driver/bodyguard, has decided that the teachers need to report on time. It matters not if we have trouble travelling because of the I95 nightmare. We just have to leave hours earlier. I HATE THIS *****!!!!!

There, that feels better. I am also frustrated by the parents who don't listen to the radio...the ones who walk to school and ignore the fact that AM pre-k is cancelled...the ones who ignore the 90 minute delay and drop their kids at the front of the school even if the school is closed forcing staff to report to accept students who belong at home.

I think I need to report all these parents to DCF, take away their kids, and open my own orphanage. I would take much better care of them than their parents ever could. I certainly would feed them better, dress them better, read to them, hug them, bathe them, and wouldn't send them to school wreaking of pot!

Okay, I'm really ranting now.

I'm gonna go calm myself...this better post or I'm done.

Summer
Summerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 11:47 AM   #33  
burned out bus driver

Good morning!!!!!!
The rest of this week might be tough for me to post....got a half day elementary tomorrow, and Thursday I am helping out at my 2 oldests high school- Friday the gynecologist...... (yuck).

Welcome Missliss! I have only been here a week (on this thread) but have found the company/friendship great. I look foward to getting to know you better.

Summer- oh, do I hear ya with the brain dead parents!!! I actually have one mother (unfortunately, I know her socially) who asked me to call her when I know that there is a snow delay!!!!! Ok, the district only puts snow delays on some 8 radio stations, and has a web site with the info (and these folks have plenty of money and a computer), so why do I have to call her at 5:15 am (when I get my call if there is a snow delay???????? ). Some folks are just dumb, honey- I am sure you knew that by now. Hope your day goes much better!!

Now as for me.....I am on weight watchers, and have lost 30#. Been on it for a year with 10 more to go. I am 5'4" 1/2, so the 140 goal weight will not make me skinny- but ok- and somewhere around a size 10. I am ok with that- and that was the weight I was at before Dd #1 was born. At least that gets me to the point where I do not have to pay for meetings anymore at WW, and maybe can get a few more pounds off. In a former life.......I have a degree in chemical engineering, and was employed as an engineer for almost 10 years (before kids). Then left for mommyhood- but shortly after I retired was asked to return as a self employed technical writer. I did that for a few years and was fairly happy with that. It worked while my family was younger, but now with 2 teenagers and an 8 year old, I can no longer rely on my evenings off to write- and things are just too hectic. Besides, the firm I was working with- well the politics became unbearable, and as a part timer I was losing my effectiveness - and I am NOT a politician. I enjoy working and feeling useful, not being back stabbed or kissing up. So- that is how I got out- my local school district was in need of drivers......and for the area the pay is very good. Plus- a one mile commute, I am on my kids schedules (I used to actually take my writing stuff on vacation with me to make deadlines)- I have my summers off........need I say more? And, yes I do like kids. The head of personnel actually asked me if I wanted to teach, but I took no educations courses- and I am not interested in going back to school. So, that is out of the question for me.

Now as far as brain dead parents go- Summer you will love this one!!!! Yesterday I arrived at a stop, and this students mother's rotweiller is loose (and sniffing at the door of the bus mind you). This dog killed the students other dog, and once I did let her off the bus with the dog loose. It jumped on her many, many times,knocked her over.......until she finally made it to the door. I promised her that I would NEVER let her off the bus if the monster was loose. So, there sits the dog.....waiting. I radioed in, asking them to call the mom to chain the dog up before I let the girl off. Mom, of course, had given the district the wrong phone #- so there I sit.......waiting - and the dog waiting too.....oh what fun. Finally the student gave us another number to call and mom came out to chain up the dog. Mind you there is a younger sibling in the house (about age 3) so why would they keep a dog like this??????? Am I missing something here???? (BTW, it is a very safe area, security is not a concern). My supervisor once told me I had a strange route, guess I am starting to believe her!)
Ok, enough blabbering- gotta go. Hope your day is a good one!
Ginny
ECmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 07:02 PM   #34  
burned out bus driver

Just me blabbering again!
Had to write up 2 students today who refused to listen......after I had gently admonished them this am. Opps the troops just came home...gotta go!
Ginny
Old 03-30-2004, 11:42 PM   #35  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

Hey just checking in..... really quick....

my best friend at school retires tomorrow after 29 years of teaching...and I'm trying not to cry..even as I type this! throwing a teeny tiny reception for her after school so I've been busy with that....report cards are also due tomorrow...mine are done but need to be printed...will do that between sobbing fits tomorrow... also had to go to a committe meeting all day on monday...thought we were going to end up getting into a WRASSLIN match by the end of it.... THEN today began the day by attending a Grade Chair meeting...anyway...things are going 10000mph and I'll be back as soon as I get this party done, my friend out the door and my report cards turned in...sigh!

take care,
robyn
HatterasMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2004, 11:47 PM   #36  
MomWifeTeacherFriend

OOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHHHHHHHHH and I forgot to mention the difficulties that I'm having with my feet...(evidently I've grown a corn)!!??? Welcome to old age??? OR the difficulties that I've been having with parents....brain dead??? they never had a brain.... OH and Miss33DaysOut has accumulated another Unexcused tardy having arrived past 11 on Monday...and another Absence....She didn't make it today at all..... sighhhhhhhhhhh
HatterasMermaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2004, 01:19 PM   #37  
burned out bus driver

Robyn- well I hope that your retiring buddy is at least staying close by so that you can see her from time to time. I remember when I lost my 2 side kicks during my engineer days.....it was awful. They made the tough days bearable. Hang in there!And take care of your piggies.

Elementary had another half day- so my usual routine is all messed up. Just came on to say hi! Hope your day is going well.......see ya!
Ginny
Old 04-01-2004, 07:09 AM   #38  
burned out bus driver

Gee, where is everyone? Hope just busy..that is me too. Have a great day!
Ginny
Old 04-01-2004, 08:12 PM   #39  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Sorry I haven't been posting a lot. It has been quite a week! We are finally back on a normal schedule thanks to both lanes of I95 being opened with a temporary bridge (I won't be trying to drive over it anytime soon!) All I have to say is that it blows my mind that it takes years to make highway repairs, but when a major artery in the northeast was blocked, workers managed to get it cleared in less than a week.

I led my "make & take" workshop on rubrics and criteria charts yesterday. All went well. Only one teacher (from the old guard) boycotted the workshop. I could really give two sh*ts about her anyway. Everyone else was eager to learn what I had to teach them irregardless of my time in as a teacher. I guess there always has to be somebody to be an a**hole...or as a dear old friend would have said, "There is always someone to take the joy out of living!"

My aide was out again yesterday. She had lied to me that she had been given a verbal warning by the paraprofessional supervisor. She actually blew off the appointment. She will be getting a written warning attached to her paycheck tomorrow that she has to sign in order to get paid. I wish they would just fire her. Then again, when she bothers to show up, she does a great job with the kids. It is just that she is so immature, self-involved, and irresponsible, and those lousy qualities really interfere with the job.

I have lost 4 lbs., but since getting my period two days ago, the 4 lbs. is back on...I assume that is water retention. I have really bad periods because of my endometriosis. So between the cramps, all the non-stop rain, and my nutty schedule this week, I haven't exercised since Monday. My period is slowing down a little, so maybe tomorrow I can drag myself out of bed to do the bike. I was really hoping to squeeze into a linen suit for Easter that I was able to wear two years ago. Right now, I don't know if I will make it. But, I haven't given up yet!

I am in the process of starting up a parents social group at my church. I had a surprisingly positive response from someone that I never imagined would be interested. And I had a negative response from two people that I figured would react the way they did. No biggie. I sent out 28 letters/questionnaires, so I expect to get many more positive responses.

Robyn, I'm really sorry about your friend. I hope you will be able to stay in touch with her. My sister has taught for a cajillion years, and some of her best friends have left her behind. She has one friend who retired on Cape Cod, so the remaining teachers visit on long weekends once in a while. I have yet to make any lasting friendships as a teacher. This was my first year that I began to get close to someone, but tomorrow is her last day before maternity leave, and she has no plans of returning...can't blame her.

Lice boy returned to school today after 27 absences. We did calls, home visits and were about to withdraw him from the program. He miraculously returned today lice free!

My wrist is sore, so I'm heading out. Take care Ginny!

Only one more day my friends!!!

TGIF!!!

Summer
Old 04-01-2004, 08:52 PM   #40  
KAR

Welcome Missliss! Glad to have you on board.
Hi Summer, Ginny and Robyn
Sorry I have been missing in action for the week. I had my annual IEP meetings on Monday. My supervisor was so negative towards me in all my meetings. I just wanted to tell her to take her job and shove it. But I didn't. Then my aide was out for one and a half days. So I had a new person in my classroom, so it was a very stressful last couple of days. Then today my boss called me in his office to ask if I had been under a lot of stress and if I was just overwhelmed with the age level of students I have. I told him that yes I have been under a lot of stress but I thought I was doing a good job. Here some of my coworkers have been talking to him about me. It just really ticks me off how they can stab you in the back and then act like their your best friend. So my first reaction was to write him a letter telling him that I quit. But my aide talked me out of it. So I came home and wrote him a letter explaining just why I have been under so much stress this past month. I plan on giving it to him in the morning. It also doesn't help that I have two parents who don't really support anything I do with their children. One of my student's is so bad I don't feel that his placement is right but I just make it through the day babysitting him. I have tried everything I can do to please this child and not have him throw his fits. It is very tiring and exhausting to listen to him cry and scream all day long and not to have the I don't care attitude. My boss told me he thought that I was just passing on the problems this student has to the people at the high school to fix next year. Everyone in my building is afaird to come in my room when he is throwing a fit. But I am suppose to keep a positive attitude at all times and not exhibit signs of stress and vent every once in awhile. I think I might just have to take a couple mental health days before the end of the year. Well I hope I haven't bored you fine ladies to tears yet! I am going to keep my chin up and make it through the next forty days at school. I think I will just come in do my job and paste the biggest phoniest grin on my face on those really bad days and say nothing is wrong. Heck maybe I should start having a punching bag at home and just come home and take my frustrations out on that. Well I need to go. But I promise ladies I will be back regularly now. I really missed you gals. More later. TGIF!!! I am planning on using this weekend to relax and regroup.
Kerry
KAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2004, 07:01 PM   #41  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Kerry, I'm so sorry your coworkers are not being more empathetic toward you. But, please know that we will always support you and allow you to vent your feelings...in fact, we encourage it!

Before I became certified, I worked as an aide with a severe & profound class in a high school. I had to change their diapers and deal with pretty horrifying behaviors. (One day, a non-verbal student got angry with us, stripped, defacated on herself, and spread it all over her body.) Okay?! I know how bad things can get. I also worked in a group home for 12 years. I lived through some pretty twisted stuff during those times. I know all about burn-out. (That is why I got my certificate in early childhood education.) I will always be willing to listen to you get things off your chest. You are not alone.

Well, I am still retaining water. I rode the bike this morning and stayed on program all day. I hope that tomorrow I will see the scale move. I can't wait till my period ends.

Everyone have a great weekend.

Summer
Old 04-02-2004, 07:43 PM   #42  
burned out bus driver

Hope everyone has a great weekend!!!!! Is anyone off next week? Here by me the public schools are off for spring break- the parochial will be off the week after Easter. My route covers both.....so I have two sort of easy weeks, but must work both.
Kind of a bad day- I was at the gynecologist this am (just for an annual) and he mentioned that I have an enlarged uterus- am going for a sono on Monday. I have no symptoms, so who knows? Still it bothers me.

Summer- sorry that you are still retaining water. Hope that goes away this weekend.
Kerry- Relax and regroup. That sounds like what you need!!!!!!! How bad I feel for you with that one student. It can be so tough- and well I know that all kids can be helped, but the resources (both yours and the schools) are not endless. On my route there is a student who is being evaluated- guarantee he will have his own IEP next year, he really needs a monitor - but I deal with him and transport him just the same. And until he gets that IEP there will be no help for me.... I feel sad for you that some of your coworkers are talking behind your back. Vent here!!!!!! That is why we are here.

Long day/long week. Guess I'd better go. Sorry if I do not sound too with it/ or sound confused. I need a weekend. Hope yours is great!!!!
Ginny
Old 04-02-2004, 09:29 PM   #43  
KAR

Evening Ladies,
I made it through the day. I pasted a smile on my face everytime I went out of my classroom today. I only talked to my coworkers who are my close friends. All in all, it was a good day at school. I came home tired from a long stressful week, only to fight with the hubby. My parents and one sister are coming in for a visit tomorrow and I told my hubby that I would get up in the morning and clean. Well he left to go to the store and told me to start cleaning. Well I was too tired and sat down and watched some tv. So when he comes home he starts moaning and complaining about I can't do anything he asks me to do and no wonder I am having all the problems I have at work right now. So I am still a little hot under the collar over that one. So I think in the morning I will make sure I make a lot of noise and not let him sleep in. Well gotta go.
Have a great weekend!
Kerry
KAR73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2004, 09:35 AM   #44  
Mommy, wife, teacher

Oh boy Kerry...I hate when my DH and I get like that. We had a particularly bad year two years ago. When Christmas rolled around, my DH asked me what I wanted for Christmas. I said, "Don't spend any money on me. Instead, what I really want is for you to be nice to me. Act like you love me. I know you can do it because you are loving with our daughter. That is all I want." That comment really hit him. His attitude began to change. I got a little more respect...understanding...kindness. He can still be a jerk, after all, he is a caveman at heart. But, I try to stand up for myself now and demand the behavior from him that I know I deserve. Best of luck with your DH. At least you get a break from school.

Ginny, my spring break isn't for two more weeks, and a lot of bullsh*t will be crammed into that time. On the day before Good Friday when we like to have Easter egg hunts and parties, the administration is coming into each room to do a "learning walk." They will be doing an observation and speaking with my four year olds asking, "What are you learning? Why are you learning that? How do you know when you have learned it? Does this class challenge you? How do you know?" My kids will be looking like them like they are nuts! The next week, another group who provides funding will be coming through to do basically the same thing with a different set of sophisticated questions. Oooh I can't wait!!! Not!!! But, when it is over, I will have a week off. I really need a break...it is hard to think about it now with all of the preparations that have to be made.

I'm going to the opthalmologist this AM to have a follow up on my "vitreous detachment" to see if the retina has detached. If so, I will need emergency surgery. Let's hope that will not be the case. I'm getting used to the floaters...I don't really care if they are there. I will, however, be pissed if my vision has worsened because I still have a lot of my daily wear contact lenses left over.

My water retention is beginning to go away. I'm down two pounds...only two more to go to be back where I was before my period. I'm sorry to be so obsessive. It is just so disappointing to work so hard and feel like I'm going up instead of down. I know everyone has been there.

I'm gonna head out. You all take care and have a great weekend.

Summer

Last edited by Summerlover; 04-03-2004 at 09:40 AM.
Old 04-03-2004, 02:16 PM   #45  
burned out bus driver

Hi!
Kerry, sorry about the altercation with Dh. Marriage can be so frustrating....and well, sometimes hubby's think they have the corner on the stress market. Hugs to you, hang in there!!!!!

Summer- gee, your act like you love me comment....that really hit a nerve. Isn't that what we all want???? I hope your appointment with the opthomologist goes well, being that I am a newcomer to this thread, I know little background history about you.
Was your eye injured in some way? Glad the water retention is going away too. You must feel so much better!!!!

A low key day here...I really need a low key day, or two......maybe a week.....just me and a pile of good books......am I selfish or what????!! This gyno appt on Monday is bugging me, and I am a bit annoyed with the Dr about it. He gave me no details....just sort of threw this on my lap and walked away. A little bit of an explanation would have been nice! And I do not dare tell Dh- who knows how he will react (I'll tell him when there is a bit more to tell). His reaction could be so miserable that it just makes me feel worse. Oh well.
Guess I'd better go. Got lots of cleaning to do. Enjoy your weekend!
Ginny