Closed Thread

Old 11-14-2002, 10:35 AM   #76  

Talking Hello everyone

Ok,
Yesterday was a no junk food day, and I didn't even flinch

MikiG--Welcome back.

Cjunk--I am loving that pizza recipe.. I will be going out tonight to buy all the ingreds to make it this weekend...I hope I can find a pool to start doing those swimming exercises. I miss being in a pool.

Cyan --All is good and I am eating good today, I made my own breakfast this morning...Eggbeaters came out with a Southwestern Egg and I scrambled it up with a mini 70 cal bagel and am enjoying that very much now that I can chew again. Congrats on not eating that sandwich. I know that powerful force can come and wreck everything that you worked so hard for.
What I hate the most is you can have the best day, where you drink all your water, eat all your healthy food, and not snack on junk, then 11pm rolls around and you go and get a bottle of water in the fridge, and you see that last piece of pie in there. And the takes over.......You are toast!
I am getting better with that, I just go to bed earlier and thirstier..

I didn't do much exercise yesterday, I am trying to keep my son occupied while my husband and I are not talking. you know how our children feel the animosity, so I played with him all night.
I think that was exercise in itself.

I am going to work on my glider tonight while watching surviver, this way I get it done and not sit on my rump...

Have a great day everyone.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:03 PM   #77  

Seems like everyone is doing good. Did my mile walk in 17mins this morning because it was cold and I forgot my jacket! Did my 8 mins when I got home and have been moving every since. After I exercise I find it hard to sit still so I'm usually always moving around. Eating is good water too. I too have a 32oz bottle at work and usually have fill it two and a half times before I leave. Home is where the problem comes in. I usually only drink about 3-4 glasses and half a diet soda at home but when I have my bottle at home I drink all day! Hmmm seems like I need to get a bottle for home lol wouldn't you think?

I'm going to force myself to take a nap and then get up and do the bike and shower then it's off to work.

Hope everyone has a great day! Thanks for the continued support. Love you guys!
Old 11-14-2002, 02:34 PM   #78  
Ex-Junkfood Junkie

Hello to All, hope everyone is having a great day. Hi Miki, glad to see you back. Sorry about that, if you read that post of mine(essay really) that probably took atleast 40 minutes of your time. I'll start putting big warnings at the top of my post when I know it's too long.
Glad to see that everyone seems to be on track. Hey guess what I did last night? I ate a handful of potatoe chips. My son brought them to me, he said Mom you've been doing so good, thought you deserved alittle treat. I said, oh goody, what did you bring me. He handed me this bag of potatoe chips. He said I know their not the kind that you really love but these don't seem too bad. I hesitated at first, told him I would enjoy a few later on. Then he opened the bag, the smell got to me. But after talking with him, I finially thought about it and said to myself, hey what's wrong with a few fat free chips. It's not like I was about to sit down and devour 600 calories in a second. I ate 10 chips.(they were good ) 20 chips has 75 calories, no fat. I thought I would feel guilty after I ate them but I didn't. He said I've been alittle too hard on myself, that I shouldn't deprieve myself of things. Just don't pig out on them. But like I told him I'm the kind of person that can't say no to certain things. I don't want junk food in my life. But it was really sweet of him to bring me the chips. He said I didn't look like me without me sitting around munching on potatoe chips. I said, well get used to the new me. I was proud that I could stop at 10 chips, hey that might sound silly but if you knew me and my love of potatoe chips you'd understand.
Well hope everyone has a successful day and night. Keep drinking water and exercising.
I will add 4 or 5 recipes after this post. Don't want them to be so long. Thanks to everyone that has posted some recipes, they sound really good. I'm going to give them a try.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:45 PM   #79  
Ex-Junkfood Junkie

Recipe #1. This is what I'm having for my holiday dessert. A friend of mine fixed this dessert several months ago. I didn't realize at the time that it was lower in calories than what I thought. It taste like it is loaded in calories but it's not. I will also be making the traditional pumpkin pies, pecan pies and cheesecake. But this is what I will be enjoying. Yum.
Cherry Shortcake

21 ozs cherry pie filling
1 c powdered sugar
8 ozs fat-free cream cheese -- softened
8 ozs Cool Whip Free -- thawed
1/4 c walnuts -- chopped
13 ozs angel food cake -- cubed

1. In a large mixing bowl, combine powdered sugar, cream cheese, whipped topping and walnuts. Mix well.
2. Fold in cake cubes.
3. In a serving bowl, pour half of the cake mixture.
4. Pour half of the cherry filling on top of the cake mixture.
5. Repeat layers until all ingredients have been used.
6. Chill 3 hours before serving.

15 servings. 184 Calories, 1g Fat, 5g Protein, 40g Carbohydrate, 2mg Cholesterol, 111mg Sodium

I use the lite version cherry pie filling, and also decrease amount of powdered sugar some. In doing so the chart amounts are even lower than shown. But even as it is this recipe is very low in calories and fat for a dessert. Yum! Enjoy.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:49 PM   #80  
Ex-Junkfood Junkie

Recipe #2
Marinara Sauce

INGREDIENTS
1 tablespoon olive oil
1/4 cup chopped onion
4 garlic cloves, thinly sliced
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon sugar
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
2 (14.5-ounce) cans diced tomatoes, undrained
1 (28-ounce) can crushed tomatoes, undrained

INSTRUCTIONS
Heat oil in a saucepan over medium-high heat. Add onion and garlic. Cook 3 minutes or until tender; stir constantly. Stir in remaining ingredients; bring to a boil. Reduce heat; simmer 30 minutes.
NUTRITIONAL INFO
calories: 55 carbohydrates: 8.8 g cholesterol: fat: 1.9 g sodium: 394 mg protein: 1.9 g calcium: 56 mg iron: 1.1 mg fiber: 1.1 g
I add Italian Seasoning and sometimes crushed red pepper. Also sometimes add Zucchini pieces. Lots of variation with this recipe.
Old 11-14-2002, 02:52 PM   #81  
Ex-Junkfood Junkie

Recipe #3
Alfredo Sauce(Lowfat)
1 (12 ounce) can evaporated skim milk
2 tablespoons grated nonfat parmesan cheese
3 tsp butter-flavored sprinkles
1/4 teaspoon white pepper
6 tablespoons grated nonfat parmesan cheese
1/4 cup sliced scallions (garnish) (optional)
2 tablespoons chopped fresh parsley (garnish) (optional)
1. In a bowl, combine the evaporated skimmed milk, 2 tablespoons grated nonfat Parmesan cheese, 3 teaspoons butter-flavored sprinkles and 1/4 teaspoon ground white pepper.
2. Stir well.
3. Pour sauce over 10 oz of cooked, drained fettuccine pasta.
4. Toss gently for 2 minutes or until sauce is heated through and just begins to boil.
5. (Add a little more milk if it seems too dry.) Remove pot from heat and add the remaining 6 tablespoons grated nonfat Parmesan and toss.
6. Garnish with scallions and parsley. (optional)
7. Serve immediately.
Calories 201 Calories from Fat 4 Total Fat 0.4g Saturated Fat 0.2g Polyunsat. Fat 0g
Monounsat. Fat 0.1g
Cholesterol 21mg Sodium 349mg Potassium 835mg Total Carbohydrate 28.8g Dietary Fiber 0.3g
Protein 21.2g
Old 11-14-2002, 02:58 PM   #82  
Ex-Junkfood Junkie

Recipe #4 & #5. I'm posting these together since I use them together.

Buttermilk Pancakes
INGREDIENTS
1 cup all-purpose flour
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup low-fat buttermilk
1 tablespoon vegetable oil
1 large egg, lightly beaten
Cooking spray

INSTRUCTIONS
Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine flour and next 4 ingredients (flour through salt) in a large bowl, and make a well in center of mixture. Combine buttermilk, oil, and egg; add to flour mixture, stirring until smooth.

Spoon about 1/4 cup batter onto a hot nonstick griddle or nonstick skillet coated with cooking spray. Turn pancakes when tops are covered with bubbles and edges look cooked.

YIELD: 9 (4-inch) pancakes.

NUTRITIONAL INFO
calories: 99 carbohydrates: 14.9 g cholesterol: 0 fat: 2.9 g sodium: 211 mg protein: 3.2 g calcium: 69 mg iron: 0.8 mg fiber: 0.4 g

Blackberry Raspberry Sauce

INGREDIENTS
1/2 cup sugar
1/3 cup water
1 cup fresh or frozen blackberries
1 cup fresh or frozen raspberries
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice

INSTRUCTIONS
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Combine sugar and water in a small saucepan, and bring to a boil. Cook for 1 minute over medium heat, stirring until the sugar dissolves. Combine the sugar syrup, blackberries, raspberries, and lemon juice in a blender. Pulse 3 times or until the berries are chopped. Cover and chill.

YIELD: 1-3/4 cups (serving size: 2 tablespoons)
I store remaining sauce in an airtight container for later use. This is also good as an icecream(fat free icecream of course) topping. But I mainly use it on pancakes. I also decrease the amount of sugar alittle, but not much.
NUTRITIONAL INFO
calories: 33 carbohydrates: 9.6 g cholesterol: 0 mg fat: 0.1 g sodium: 0 mg protein: 0.2 g calcium: 5 mg iron: 0.1 mg
fiber: 1.1 g
Old 11-14-2002, 05:39 PM   #83  

Default Annie- you are awesome

Annie - Reading your post made me want to cry...I am such an emotional blubber.

My little 3 year old, knows I can't eat the junk anymore either, and he came to me with a mini kit-kat and told me it's ok, it is small. When i read your story, I just thought of my son, and how what we do really does impact others in our household.

I applaud you for not allowing the urge of a bag of chips to take you on.

Love the recipes, I hope to use them soon.

Precious_one - Good work with the water, I haven't been as diligent with it myself, but I think I am heading to the store to pickup those 32 oz bottles for myself....

Have a great evening, I am about to head home to work out on my glider while watching Surviror and Friends.....l

Old 11-14-2002, 05:46 PM   #84  

Smile Recipe to add today

Lime Salsa Chicken(serves 4)
4 (4-6 oz.) fresh boneless, skinless chicken breasts
1 lime, juiced
3/4 cup Apple Flavor LIBBY'S® JUICY JUICE® 100% Juice
2 teaspoons cornstarch
1 MAGGI® Chicken Bouillon Cubes

Spray a large skillet with vegetable cooking spray. Heat over medium heat before adding chicken breasts. Cook for 8 to 10 minutes, or until tender,* turning to brown evenly. Remove from the skillet and keep warm.

In a mixing bowl combine lime juice, apple juice, cornstarch and bouillon cube. Add to skillet and cook, stirring, until thick. Spoon sauce over chicken to serve.

190 cal, 2grams of fat;

Hope you enjoy this.
Old 11-14-2002, 09:01 PM   #85  
Ex-Junkfood Junkie

Good evening to All. Hope everyone is having a great evening. I just finished my bike riding for the night. I was only able to get in 2 sessions today. But atleast I am staying somewhat on track.

reina_mia, you and Precious One are doing great with the water consumption. When I started out I barely was able to get a 12oz. bottle drank a day. I applaud you both, great work.
reina_mia, you are so right about that. We don't realize how much an affect we have on the rest of our family when we change things that have been routine for so long. My family is adapting well to my new recipes. Most of the time they can't tell the difference in them. It has taken me a while to convert most of my recipes to healthy ones. Some of them were disasters at first. Been mostly a trial and error until I got them right. But along the way I have found a lot of new healthy recipes that are delicious. Some of my old ones just don't turn out right when I convert them. So that's when I go looking for a recipe that is close to what I used to fix that is healthy. Your lime salsa chicken sounds delicious. I'm always looking for new chicken recipes. I get stuck in ruts using the same ones over and over again. I'm going to try Cyan's chicken recipe also. Cjunk has a great idea with the pizza recipe. I love pizza but have avoided it. This sounds like a recipe that I could get my pizza fix with. Thanks to everyone for posting a recipe. Great idea Lady. Hopefully everyone will continue to post some so we can swap, I'm always looking for good healthy recipes, especially ones that someone has tried and gives it a thumbs up.

Thought I would post some substitutions that can be used to lower the fat content in recipes. I use these a lot.

When your recipe says... . . . Try this instead
Whole milk (1 cup) Use: 1 cup skim or nonfat milk plus one tablespoon of unsaturated oil

Heavy cream (1 cup) Use: 1 cup evaporated skim milk or 1/2 cup low-fat yogurt and 1/2 cup plain low-fat cottage cheese

Sour cream Use: Low-fat cottage cheese plus low-fat or nonfat yogurt (fat-free sour cream is also available)

Cream cheese Use:4 tablespoons margarine blended with 1 cup dry low-fat cottage cheese; add a small amount of skim milk if needed (fat free cream cheese is also available)

Butter (1 tablespoon) Use: 1 tablespoon polyunsaturated margarine or 3/4 tablespoon polyunsaturated oil

Shortening (1 cup) Use: 2 sticks polyunsaturated margarine(applesauce can also be used instead of shortening)

Egg (1) Use:1 egg white plus 2 teaspoons of unsaturated oil or commercially made, cholesterol-free egg substitute

Unsweetened baking chocolate (1 ounce) Use:3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder or carob powder plus 1 tablespoon polyunsaturated oil or margarine. Carob is sweeter than cocoa, so reduce sugar in recipe by 1/4

Does anyone else have any substitutions they would like to add?
Hope you ladies have a nice evening and a great day tomorrow.
Stay Confident. Keep up the great work.
Old 11-14-2002, 10:56 PM   #86  

Arrrrrrrrrghhhhhhhhh!! Did pretty well all day then just few minutes ago, I happened up on a box of Malted Milk Ball chocolate candy that I didnt even realize we had. Just ate 3 of them but it added 95 calories to today's intake!! Sad thing is I REALLY wanted MORE!!!

Oh well, getting ready to go exercise some of it off. Hopefully the kids will eat the rest of them soon..lol I just added up all my calories since Sunday, and my average is 1425 a day. A little higher than I was hoping but MUCH better than I used to do so I'm not going to let it depress me.

So great finding all the new recipes in here tonite. When I have time, I'll add to the list. As usual, I only have a few minutes so cant type much. Just have to at least check in with the "chicks" and see how you're all progressing.

I'm determined to get in this weekend long enough to stay and write all I want. As I'm reading posts, I always think of things to add to each one then I end up having to rush to get everything else done around here and cant type all I'd like to. So you all just watch out when I do..it might be a book..LOL

Hope everyone has a GREAT Friday!!! Oh, just remembered...another out of town ballgame Fri nite so might not make it in here. I'll enjoy the game tho..I love watching my kids play!

Bye for now!
Old 11-14-2002, 11:47 PM   #87  

Default Just weighed in!

I LOST 4.5 lbs...................
I was too excited, I had to tell someone.
Will talk to you all tomorrow, I am going to go suck on some ice!
Talk to you all tomorrow.
Old 11-15-2002, 12:09 AM   #88  
SW164 CW138 24lbs to Goal

Hi All!
Wow, some great posts tonight! I love all the recipies! I'm printing them out so I can try each of them. By the way, did I mention I don't cook? Actually, I do have a lentil soup recipi I will share when I have time to write more.
Prescious, I really identify with exercising giving you energy. I rode my bike last night then went to bed. BAD Mistake! 2:30 in the morning and I'm still awake. lol Next time I ride it will be much earlier in the day!
Reina_mia, Bravo onyour no junk food day! You are on your way, girl!
Cyan, You must have been riding hard and long to burn all those calories! Good for you! You had me laughing out lound at your description of resisting your tuna sandwich. Your body screaming to throw it down your neck. Good for you for wining that battle. You're right, it does make you stronger each time you overcome those urges. By the way, I keep hearing this faint sound. It seems to be coming from the corner of your kitchen. If I listen very carefully I can just make it out. "Cyaaaannnnn, I'm lonely! Come and ride me!"
Cjunk, What a nice thing to say, Thank you! I love this list and the people on it are awesome!
Miki, now, what do you mean the sad thing is you wanted more malt balls? I'll bet what you ment to say was, Good for me! I resisted eating more malt balls! Right?
Congrats on getting back on track with your calories. Have you considered jotting them down as your eat, then you can keep an eye on how many you've eaten and avoid that rude surprise when you enter them onto the web site.
Annie, that was a tough decision. Refuse the chips and risk hurting your son's feelings or eat chips and feel guilty. I think you made the perfect choice - eat just a few chips. ..and you were careful to count them. Excellent! By the way, I love your comment to"Get used to the new me." Oh, and thanks for the substitution list!
Well, I had a great day. I met my best friend for lunch. Now this is the kind of friend who is truly there for you, so when we talk anything goes and it's happy, sad, and silly, all rolled into one. We can only get together once a month, so when we do lunch we don't mess around, we really make a production out of it. First we met at 12:30, did some catching up talk and ate veggie wraps at this great little resteraunt, then went shopping for a new recliner for her husband. We had fun trying every piece of furniture in the store while we talked some more. We even resisted the cookies the store had set out for the customers. Then we went to Borders Book Store and perused though the exercise books. My friend bought one on walking, I looked at the running books. We finished with more talking while we enjoyed our tea and low fat biscotti. We said our good byes at 5pm. What a great afternoon.

Everyone have a great Friday!

Lady
Old 11-15-2002, 08:31 AM   #89  

I have been reading through the posts this morning and I've got to say that I am really starting to get hooked on this group! What emotions we all share with each other.

Reina-mia, great work on the no junk food day! 4.5 pounds--wow! That is great. Congratulations!

MikiG--not to worry about the chocolate. You didn't do badly with a few treats and 98 cals is not all that bad. Sometimes it can be counterproductive to totally deny ourselves a few here and there because it just makes us give up all together. You can compensate on another day when you don't feel like treats at all.

PreciousOne-exercise is giving you energy--and lots of water--you are an inspiration to plug on!...I start noticing increased energy but not until a bit later in the game.

I was at a funeral yesterday for a close friend's mother whom I knew quite well. It was a challenging day and I am an emotional eater but I guess I did pretty well with that. I ended up eating as many calories as I would have to in order to maintain my current weight as opposed to losing. However, I did swim for almost an hour of lengths yesterday before the funeral and it helped me to destress a lot. It also compensated for the extra calories eaten because it helped to burn them. My shoulder was only a bit tender which was an excellent sign and I had to use the flutter board for a while to give it a rest and not overdo it. I forgot how relaxing swimming is for me. I get so focussed on breathing that I forget everything else. It is very peaceful.

The recipes all look fantastic. I would love to be adventurous enough to cook curry Cyan, so I think I may try it. I always go out to dinner for Curry (it is very yummy)--vietnamese curry is my favorite! Great work with your bike riding! Alas mine is still collecting dust in the kitchen. I can hear it whispering though! It is an outdoor bike so I will have to look into buying a trainer for it.

The substitutes are great also Annie! I follow a trick if I am ever baking anything that requires oil to keep the baked good's moisture. I will substitute 1/2 applesauce (unsweetened) or 1/2 plain yoghurt (sometimes the yoghurt adds bitterness) for part of the oil to reduce the fat. I also use herbs a lot in my cooking and fat free salad dressing for marinades--for grilled veggies and meats. I think you did very well with only having a few chips--it was a fantastic start to adapting to your new you! Next to french fries, that is by far my favorite thing to eat. I haven't had any in so long it even made my mouth water reading the story! So, we can work on chip cravings together.

LadyRider, I have some questions about running. You have sort of inspired me to try it. There is a track right behind the rec centre where I swim so I thought I might start with a few laps of the track and then build up to it. Unfortunately, each time I try and run my knees hurt afterwards a bit and also my lungs end up coughing up a lot of gunk (I also feel a little pukey). I definitely don't smoke and my lungs are usually clear. Any tips on what I might be doing wrong?? The experience for me is usually unpleasant which is why I have never gotten into running. Any suggestions for beginners? I also think I have crappy shoes. I haven't tried it long enough to see if it will get better.

Talk to you all soon--I love this group--keep up the great posts--and the fantastic work!!!

Cjunk
Old 11-15-2002, 09:59 AM   #90  
I will make it!

Talking Good Morning my favorite buddies

You girls rock! I so enjoy reading your posts and I love the fact that everybody is keeping on track and doing their ultimate best. Everyone here should be proud of their success and what valiant efforts to resist or cut down on tempting foods.

Annie I agree with LadyRider...kudos on you for finding a diplomatic way of dealing with the chips and your son...and I admire your courage to say "this is the new me" Those recipes had my mouth watering

LadyRider....aren't friends the best! I makes a whole difference when you have a close friend to hang out with and really connect. And I must say, you made wise food choices young lady...you kept on track....kudos to you. Oh the tuna sandwhich tastes just as good the next day! Does anybody have any stories to share about food battles ...I've got plenty....will post to amuse you ladies.

MikkiG...those malt balls spoke your name girl...but you did so well, honestly, if it were me, I would of sucked back that whole box...then would have felt miserable over it....so 3 malt balls is not the end of the world....movin on....you can burn 98 calories with a heary laugh

Hi Reina_Mia WOW WOOHOO 4.5 pounds!!! Oh my! that is fantastic! How many calories are you consuming and what is your exercise regime? And did you buy your water bottle? At work, since I have been drinking all this water, toilet trips are way up, I think I may have to wear a diaper or get a catheter put in
Since my water increase, I feel better...just healthier...and myskin is so soft and less dry thus far this winter.

PreciousOne How are you doing? Let me know how things have been going for you...details please

Well as for me, last night, another 30 minutes of the bike for a distance of 8.4km and 305 or so cals burned....this weekend I will be doing power yoga...and brisk walking...during the weekdays cause of my work and mom, I do the bike cause it fits into my schedule but on the weekends, I can vary up my exercise a little more. So I send everyone a big hug and good energy...have a good weekend. Stay strong, motivated and make wise choices

Cyan
Closed Thread