Closed Thread

Old 11-06-2002, 07:03 PM   #16  

Hello all
You all have gotten me motivated tonight. Can't make up mind as to what I'm going to do. Bike or some kind of workout tape? Definitely going to do something for at least 20 minutes longer if possible since the kids are up and about.
Thanks!
Old 11-06-2002, 07:50 PM   #17  

Hi Reina-mia

Happy to have you join us and welcome! Keepin' it brief for now because I am heading to the pool for my aquafit/swim. I will reply back at around 10 to check in to see if we all met the exercise challenge for tonight!! Gotta run!

-Cjunk
Old 11-06-2002, 08:40 PM   #18  
SW164 CW138 24lbs to Goal

Yea! I did it! I put down the book, got off my duff and rode the bike for 30 minutes. Got off all sweaty and feelin' good! that makes 2 exercise sessions today. But I've gotta tell ya ... my stationary bike is really a road bike on a stand. If I'm going to ride that thing more often I'm going to have to get one of those wide comfy seats. Parts of me are numb that I KNOW aren't supposed to be!
Welcome Reina-mia and Hi ya PreciousOne ! If you're looking for encouragement you've come to the right place.
I'm looking forward to reading tomorrow morning what form of exercise you decided to do, and how everyone else did with our exercise challenge.

Cyan, did you really do one hour of power yoga? Excellent!
Old 11-06-2002, 10:18 PM   #19  

Hi Cyan, Annie, LadyRider and welcome Reina-mia and Precious One.

I am back from my workout!!

Great work on the cycling LadyRider! I think we are all such a good influence on each other.

I headed to the local rec. centre pool as planned and tried the aqua fit class for the very first time tonight before doing some lengths. What an eye opener! I am exhausted--in a good way! We used bits of noodle for extra resistance for our arms and it was basically a full half and hour of aerobics in the water with lots of resistance. It was excellent!! My shoulder handled it well a lot of the exercises had us crouch down in the water and sprint while moving arms in various directions--so it was very supported by the water. I recommend this to anyone with injuries. Now I have no excuse for not working out. I found out the aquafit runs every Monday to Thursday, costs only $2.00 per class or only $70.00/yr for an unlimited pass, and includes any swim time afterwards (up to 1hr after class). There were about 25 men and women in the class of all age ranges and body types. I found it much harder than regular aerobics.

Afterwards, I swam 25 lengths---not too many but trying to take it easy and only do 1/4 of what I used to do like the physiotherapists have recommended. My shoulder is a bit tender but not too bad. We will see tomorrow I guess. Then I went to the warming pool afterwards and let the jets hit it a bit. Got to meet many of the people of my neighbourhood too!!

So I guess the recommendation is this: check out any local recreation centres, they are cheap, provide good workouts and opportunity to socialize. I think I will do it more.

How did everyone else's workouts go? Cyan, how was that power yoga? I just started taking yoga last year and love it. Unfortunately even yoga with modifications is a bit rough on the shoulder so it is a hiatus time for me--downward dog is not that easy anymore (not that it ever was).

Annie, how was the cycling? Precious One, did you do an activity tonight like you mentioned?

Thanks for meeting the challenge with me tonight everyone. It really got me motivated to realize that there were more options than my narrow mind had been looking for. I am on the road to the old healthy me!

Oh, by the way, dodged the pizza they had at work today and opted for my spaghetti squash for lunch but ended up having a piece of someone's homemade cinnamon bun (only a small piece) and it was delightful and I think well worth the exercise to burn it off. Even with the cinnamon bun I have had under 1500 calories today, so I think I am fine.

Anyone got any challenges?

Talk to you all soon, Cjunk
Old 11-06-2002, 11:03 PM   #20  

Hi everyone! Love this new thread! Dont have time to post much tonite and working late again tomorrow nite too but soon as possible I'll be in here with everyone. Thanks to all of you for the ideas and encouraging words. Still drinking a ton of water but not doing so great on eating right. Gettin motivated just reading in here tho..Thanks!! Hope to get back here soon. Til then, ya'll keep up the good work!!
Old 11-06-2002, 11:19 PM   #21  
I will make it!

Talking my arms hurt

Hey girls...I did my power yoga and my tomorrow, the DOMS will set in...delayed onset muscle soreness...ouch, I hope its not as bad as the first time I did power yoga...I walked around like a
T-Rex with my arms tucked underneath my armpits....

Anyway, Cjunk you are amazing...just plain ole amazing....You have had an excellent day ...the attitude, the excercise and the diet...just a textbook example of how its done...kudos on you...once again a great source of inspiration for me.

Welcome Precious one...so glad you are joining us...how did the excercising go?

LadyRider...two sessions of excercise?!?!? You rock girl...and on a road bike on a stand...ladies this is sure determination to make a healthy life change...you see, there are no excuses when you want to do something and you have proven it tonight...most people would say, I dont have a stationary bike....but not you...kudos on you...you are a source of inspiration for me too.

MikkiG....So happy you joined us here...I know about the eating...thats the hardest thing for me to do...is eat below or at 1500 cals per day....sooooooo hard....the excercising believe it or not is much easier...but food...a whole other story...but just keep trying...if you fall today, get up, dust yourself off...dont beat yourself up over it and move on...try again and again and again until you get it right.

Oh Cjunk...the downward dog is hard especially in ashtanga yoga..power yoga..cause they make you hold that position...I soluted the sun so many times tonight that am feeling dizzy

Hey Annie...hope tonight went well and if per chance it didnt...post about it and we will walk you through it and perhaps sit you on that bike.

Hugs to everyone and thanks for inspiring me to work out, eat better and stick to it

cyan
Old 11-07-2002, 01:17 AM   #22  
Ex-Junkfood Junkie

First of all a big welcome to reina_mia and Precious One You have come to the right place for support and motivation. Glad you've joined us. Stick around, things will get very interesting as time goes on. Lots of challenges I'm sure. We're an eager group, very determined to reach our goals. With the help of each other we're on our way already.

A big welcome to Miki , I'm really happy to see that you've joined us. Any thoughts or tips you may have would be very much appreciated. We can use all the help we can get.

Ok everybody, I'm so proud of everyone that took the challenge tonight and you all did great.
As for me, you all put me to shame. I didn't make my 45 minute challenge. I could only last 38 minutes. But I'm looking on the bright side, that is 8 minutes longer than I usually stay on the bike during 1 session. So the way I look at it, I gave it my best and it's a lot better than I usually do. In my way of thinking the challenge helped me a great deal. Made me push myself just alittle bit further. For some reason during that last 5 minutes I could swear I felt Cyan's foot kicking me in the behind.
LadyRider, so very proud of your accomplishment tonight. I've been using this stationary bike for around 5 weeks now and you were only 8 minutes behind me. Something tells me with your motivation you will pass me in no time. Keep up the great work. And believe me, I do know what you mean about that bike seat. Mine is just like that. When I first started out on it I had to put a piece of foam rubber under my behind, I felt like I had blisters.
Cjunk, sounds like you had a very rewarding night. You definitely have the will to reach your goals. Your session tonight sounded very interesting. Unfortunately I don't know how to swim. You ladies stop laughing at me. I just never learned how, wish I did. Swimming is one of the best excercises there is. Builds great muscle tone. (also keeps you from drowning ) I would sink like a weight. Keep up the good work Cjunk.
Cyan, what is power yoga? Sounds very interesting but very complicated. Sounds like you had a great work out session. A whole hour of working out, you must have felt great afterwards. I think these challenges are a great idea.
Precious One and reina_mia, did you two come up with an exercise tonight? Hope you had great success.
Cjunk, I agree, we need another challenge going. What do the rest of you think we should try next? Maybe we can switch back and forth from exercising to diet in our challenges. One day can be exercise challenges, then one day it can be with food, or should I say lack of! Sounds like everyone is having difficulties with eating balanced meals with lower calories. I think it might be a good idea to maybe put a challenge to each other about what we ate for 1 day. For example eating from the food pyramid, the right amount of servings per day. Don't know if this all makes sense. Maybe we can help each other to cut down on calories and eat the proper foods.
For example it would be sorta like, how many servings of veggies did you consume today, fruits, etc. It won't be a contest to see who does the best, it will just be a way to get everyone on track. Possibly help others to see what they could eliminate from their diet and what they need to add. I know Cjunk was talking in one of her replies about the website that Cyan had posted and how she felt she was needing to readjust her intake of certain things. Maybe this could be a way for all of us to readjust our eating habits.
This is just a suggestion, it probably sounds pretty boring, especially after all of us just spent a session tonight working our behinds off. But diet is a big part of it also. Maybe we could even have a challenge about what foods we were able to resist during the day, or how many glasses of water we were able to get down opposed to other beverages we consumed. The hardest part of my diet was being able to readjust what I was eating and how much of it I was consuming. We all have those days where we know we shouldn't eat something that is going to add unhealthy weight to us. Maybe this could be a start to getting even more healthy in our food choices plus our exercise challenges. LadyRider and I both keep a journal of what we eat. It's a great thing to do. I write down everything I consume in one day, even if I have 1 jelly bean I write it down. I learned a lot about what I was consuming in the beginning by doing this. I learned where I was making mistakes at. I allow a certain amount of calories for each food group that I eat. Certain veggies you can have quite a bit of, gives you a very full feeling. I always have more veggies on my plate than meat. There are other sources of protein besides meat. I always felt that I had to have lots of meat in my meals. Guess it was the way I was raised. The meat was the center of the meal. That's been one of the hardest things for me, cutting back on the portion of meat I consume. So I learned to add more veggies, I consumed less calories but still felt just as full as when I used to eat a plateful of meat. Reminds me back when I could eat a whole steak, a big baked potatoe with all the trimmings, a big salad topped with everything, and then my favorite part, dessert. I would feel stuffed and uncomfortable. Something should have told me then, I was defintely overeating. Sorry, going on and on as usual. That should be a challenge you ladies give to me. To see if I can post a short reply.
I'm up for any type of challenge. Let's keep the motivation going. So far we're off to a great start. So, does anyone else have any ideas on a challenge? We can stick with the exercise ones, maybe one day later on we can do something concerning diet. Or maybe even do both in one day. So let's hear those challenges.
Good night all, Stay Confident.
Old 11-07-2002, 09:15 AM   #23  

Good Morning All,

Congratulations on meeting the exercise challenge! Like most or all of you I am sore today but with a smile. Movin' a little more slowly. In general feeling like I am physically lacking but part of that may be the after affects of the flu shot I had yesterday too.

Mikki, great to hear from you again. Cyan, awesome work on the yoga, Annie, you did more time on your bike than I can ever do--great work and LadyRunner, well, lets say that your energy astounds me and inspires me all at the same time!

I am with Annie and up for a food challenge. It will be especially hard for me because when my physical self feels yucky my tendency is to seek out comfort food like Macaroni and Cheese and then regret it later. What if everyone picks one area of their diet that is a challenge and then reports back tonight? I love fruits and veggies so that has never been hard for me but I am lucky if I can get in more than 2 glasses of water per day. So my challenge will be to drink 6-8 glasses today! Oh, and NO fatty COMFORT FOODS---YIKES! My boss will probably hate me for all of the bathroom breaks...

Anyone else want to share their challenge?

My girlfriend got me a guest pass at her gym on Friday night. She lives pretty far away but she keeps telling me about a "Boot Camp" class she takes run by old military officers which kicks butt!! I have a feeling I am gonna regret being interested...

Talk to you all tonight!

We can do it!!!!
Cjunk

Old 11-07-2002, 09:31 AM   #24  
I will make it!

Red face Great Challenge Annie

You're right Annie...lets do a food challenge diet. Ok my weakness at the moment is halloween chocolate that was left over...to be exact mini oh henry chocolate bars...I swear those suckers call my name out from inside the cupboard in the kitchen on the second floor of my house!!! So My food challenge will be to not eat the oh henry mini's for one week...to start...this will be very hard for me girls...so I will need your support. I figured I would focus on one small item because if I try to change too much, well ...it all blows up in my face and I go on a binge...which brings me to another challenge I had in mind....How about a psychological challenge...by this I mean...have any of you every really figured how you gained the weight....Kinda like a Dr Phil question....So the question is: What is your relationship with food? For me, food is like a kind mother comforting me when I am stressed. I have noticed that I deal with problems by eating. Anything that angers me, scares me, upsets me....I eat. I need to change that or else weight loss will not be achieved...and I will never lose weight...I can maintain my weight because of excercise but I will never loose it cause of all the extra calories I eat when I am upset, angry, and even bored! So hope this gets you thinking about what kind of relationship you have with food.

Until then, talk to you later.

cyan
Old 11-07-2002, 09:56 AM   #25  

Default I drank my first glass!

A quick note to jump start the challenge. I drank my first glass of water and filled a water bottle up for on the way to work! Working 11-7 today which is a challenging shift for food because I get lunch at 3pm. Anyone know how large one glass is?? I think I have such a hard time meeting the water requirments because I drink such big glasses and I think they are small!

Okay, here is my quick Dr. Phil response:

There is a pretty logical reason why I put on weight, but before I did there was a lot to improve on with my relationship with food. My injury has kept me from doing the sports I loved and I was doing at least 5 hours a week of these sports. When I got injured, I kept eating the massive calories I enjoyed before but I was not burning them off. I am also in my early thirties and my metabolism has significantly slowed down so much so that each unhealthy thing I eat shows up on me. It never used to before.

My relationship with food is that I turn to it for comfort and I really enjoy eating and like the taste of a lot of things for fun. My family has always had "eating outings"--what I mean is that we have gatherings specifically focussed on eating. So I have associated getting together with friends to eating out with friends. My friends and I are all trying to get out of this association and trying to meet for exercise--hence the climbing gym. My parents are facing health issues due to weight and lack of exercise and have been proactively working at it and now schedule family exercise outings where maybe we eat afterwards.

Also, my relationship with McDonalds specifically is that each year we had a 2 week vacation as children where I got to spend real quality time with my dad and he would always take us to McDonalds. So I associate McDonald's with vacation and quality time. Whenever I am missing that escape, I tend to gravitate there. So I know I am heading to burnout when I crave a lotta McDonalds!!! Time for vacation!!! My dad is now retired and I do spend quality time with him so I know it is the vacation thing.

Thanks for the challenge Cyan...I will think some more...
Old 11-07-2002, 10:04 AM   #26  

Default Challenge for Cyan

Hi Cyan, I forgot to post a quick challenge and suggestion for you:

Can you give your chocolate to someone else for one week? We suggest to smokers who are trying a test run quit to remove the cigarettes from their area so that they can reduce any undue temptations. I would take them for you because I am severely allergic to chocolate and wouldn't be able to eat them anyway if I lived closer! You can get them back at the end of the week and treat yourself to one.

Also, we have a lot of smokers who smoke when stressed and we challenge them to come up with other things that they can do to manage their stress without smoking. If they are able to find a doable alternative then they tend to be successful but it takes practice. Any idea as to what might work for you instead of food?? This is my challenge to you!!!
Old 11-07-2002, 10:26 AM   #27  
I will make it!

Angry Good question Cjunk

Well what might work for me instead of food....I am trying to work out instead of reach for food...but its hard...I really do enjoy the taste of food, the smell, the textures in my mouth...pretty sad but it's true...Food is like a safety net...I really need to figure out a way to Deal with everyday stress in a more positive way ...so I think excercise is the way to go...I really do enjoy getting on my bike in the evenings...and hopefully over time, when I get stressed out, I will get on the bike to unwind or if I am away from the bike...go out on walks. Its an ongoing journey for me, I have been binge eating for so long now that it has become a way of life for me....I guess I am lucky that my binge eating in terms of quantity of food is still controlled but I go through cycles where after 8pm...I will eat about 500 cals of food...so basically I am sabotaging myself each time I do this...cause juring the day, I do so well with the food...and I am well on my way to staying within my range of 1500 cals but by most evenings...I have consumed a total of 1800 to 1950 cals total...acording to Fitday...I track everything I eat there.

I will give my candy to my dad to store in the car trunk.... Thanks for the advice and the challenge...If I have any more psycological break threws... I will share them in this forum.

Cyan
Old 11-07-2002, 11:37 AM   #28  
I will make it!

Default Oprah

This is what she says about successful dieting

MORE PRACTICAL ADVICE FROM OPRAH

Oprah's thoughts about getting on a weight loss plan and sticking to it.

Give Positive Feedback.
Oprah: One of the keys to sticking to any plan is to give yourself good feedback. "High five" yourself for your triumphs over food addiction every day. Switch from rewarding yourself with food to rewarding yourself with approval.

Own the Pain.
Oprah: The pain you will feel related to dealing with your issues is not going to be any worse than dealing with obesity. You've already survived the worst pain you're going to feel…and you deal with it every day. Once you own your emotional pain, you'll be free of it. You'll be able to live your life for the first time. I guarantee that.

Forget the Diet.
Oprah: Fat people are the most experienced people in the world about dieting. You need to recognize that it's not about the food. Focusing on the food is why you haven't been successful. You have to challenge the pain that's causing you to be addicted to the comfort of food.

Expect More from Yourself.
Oprah: The truth of the matter is, the world expects less from you when you're overweight. Everyone can put you in a "fat box." You feel you are not worthy to claim victory in your own life. Nobody can give you that. You have to give it to yourself. You have to make that your job instead of going on another diet.

Commit to Happiness.
Oprah: The real spiritual work of your life is to love yourself. Recognize that you were created as a human being who is worthy of happiness. The work begins with loving yourself and accepting happiness in your life. You can't just decide to feel that way—you have to work through the issues that keep you from feeling that way.
Old 11-07-2002, 12:16 PM   #29  
SW164 CW138 24lbs to Goal

Good Morning Everyone!
Good to see you here, MikiG!
We are growing into such a great goup. There have been so many good posts this morning I don't know where to start!
Way to Go Cjunk! I've always heard water therapy is the best all round exercise because it gives you resistance and yet supports your body. That plus the social interaction makes it sound like a good option for you.
I felt really good after riding last night and have decided to ride the bike on the two days I don't run, so I'm heading out this week to get a better seat. I've also started doing a little bit of upper arm exercises with dumb bells.
Cyan, congratulations on giving your chocolate to your dad. You can do this - just remember - one day at a time.
Cjunk, Loaning out the chocolate instead of throwing it away is a good idea. If we are going to succeed at our new life style, we need to be able to face our cravings and control them, not let them control us. If we try to never eat chocolate (or whatever) again, we are setting ourselves up for frustration and failure. But if we choose not to eat it today, then we are in control. So much of our success is determined by our state of mind and the messages we give ourself. (did I mention I'm a psych nurse? ) If we can block the negative thoughts and replace them with "I can" or "I will" positive thoughts we will have won half the battle.

Ok, I'm off the soap box now.

Annie, I'll bet your bike works your upper body as well as your legs. That's much harder than mine which only works my legs. Don't discount yourself by thinking you didn't make your goal, give yourself FULL credit for riding longer than you have before.

I associate food with the good times my sisters and I spent sitting around mom's kitchen table eating, talking and laughing. I also use it to deal with anger, fear, frustration ,celebrations....you name it! I try to talk to myself and say, "ok, I'm _____ (fill in the blank) but eating isn't going to change anything. What can I do to make myself feel better without eating? Sometimes just talking to myself will make me stop and think of an alternative to eating. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't, but I'm determined to keep trying.
I really like the idea of dieting as well as exercise challenges!
You guys have come up with several great ones. I know I don't drink enough water or eat enough veggies. So, Today I will drink eight 12oz glasses of water and eat 5 portions of veggies.

Together we Will Succeed!
Old 11-07-2002, 01:14 PM   #30  
Ex-Junkfood Junkie

Hello to all, hope everyone is doing great today. Great challenges Cjunk. I've always heard that a minimum of 8- 8 oz glasses of water per day. I drink mine in 12 oz size. I've never been a water drinker, so when I first started my lifestyle change that is one of the first things I changed. I've always been a consumer of soft drinks or juices high in sugar content. I thought as long as I was drinking juices I was doing great. Now I eat fruit instead of drinking fruit juices. An orange or a tangerine takes the place of my old orange juice that was loaded with extra sugar. To start drinking water I had to add a lemon slice, I could not stand the thought of just drinking water. Now I drink it without anything, it's just part of my day now. I used to grab a soft drink, now I grab a glass of water or bottle of water. And it quenches your thirst a lot better also. You can also start off by drinking a sparkling water with a very small amount of fruit juice added to it. But be careful, after a days worth you might be surprised at the calories added up by the fruit juice. I make sure my water is ice cold, I can't stand room temperature water. You're right about that, you will be taking quite a few bathroom breaks. But I've found that over time that won't be as bad.
My challenge would be to see if during the week I can gradually change some of my food choices to ones that have less amounts of sugar. My fat intake is good right now, protein, fruits, veggies, etc. But I would like to see if I can make some choices to eliminate some of the sugar I consume. Sometimes we don't realize how much sugar is in some products. I've always had a problem with sugar consumption, I love desserts. The closest thing I have come to being a dessert since I started my lifestyle change is yogurt. And the one I enjoy has a lot of sugar in it. It has no fat, but has the second highest amount of grams of sugar in it than the others I have compared. I think that's why I love fruits so much, now that I've cut down on sugars in my diet, such as desserts, ice cream, etc. is that I can taste the sugar in the fruit that I so desparetely feel that I need. When I first started out I had huge cravings for sweet foods, so I turned to certain fruits. Bad mistake, I would sit down and consume almost a pound of grapes or several large pears. It's almost a trial and error type thing when you start focusing on healthy foods. You have to research everything about that food choice. I guess you could say instead of me choosing healthy choices I was running around trying to find substitutes for the things I was trying to do without. I have finally reached the point that I know each day what I can consume and what I shouldn't. I learned a lot by keeping a journal. I knew I needed to decrease my calorie intake, and also increase my activities. I had become idle. I knew I couldn't continue eating high amounts of calories and just exercise more. I knew I had to work on both of them. I couldn't continue to keep shoving food in my mouth and then exercise my behind off. I wanted a healthy balance, a healthy diet and a healthy exercise program. Eating healthy shows in the skin, hair, fingernails, etc. It has a lot more to do with than just weight. So I've worked hard at both, first I took a serious approach to changing my eating habits. Then I took on the exercise approach. Overeating gives you very little energy to want to exercise. You just want to sit around and relax. I've never known too many people that have got up from the table after overeating and say hey let's go jog a few miles. Atleast this has been my approach, it's worked for me so far. Plus I want this to be long term, if I had continued eating higher calories each day than I was supposed to and started exercising I don't think I would have the results I have now. I do have rough days though, I won't want to drink water or I will slack off on calorie intake, not eat as much as I should. I have alittle depression at times, get tired of the ordeal I feel that I'm in. I want to get out of that habit, I want to feel that what I'm doing for myself is just as normal as when I used to feel that overeating was just part of my life. It's forming good eating habits that one day will just be part of my life and will come naturally.
I found myself standing in front of the icecream freezer at the grocery store yesterday. I don't want to get into the habit that I feel "oh just alittle bit of this won't hurt me". It's true that it won't, but it goes against what I'm trying to change about myself and my eating habits. Excuses that we give ourselves is the culprit in not losing weight. I will eat this today and exercise more tomorrow. I don't want to live the rest of my life with a yo-yo deal going on. Rewarding ourselves is different. It's an inner praise. I have yet rewarded myself for the weight I have lost. But when I reach my midway goal I'm going to. By then I know that I have learned what a good praise is. It won't be sitting down and eating a whole cheesecake or a pint of icecream. By the end of my last goal, I won't need an inner praise. I will be eating healthy, exercising and will know that I am on the road to a long term healthy lifestyle. The reward I will receive then will be self satisfying to know that I overcame overeating and realized what was wrong in my life. Nothing can be learned quickly that has a long term affect. It's the gradual process that teaches us. And doing it over and over again, day after day, becomes a good habit that will last a lifetime.
To reply to Cyan's thoughts, I think my overeating stems more from wanting to get a happy feeling when eating. Nothing would make me happier in the past to bake a good dessert and know that later that night I was going to enjoy it. I got my inner happiness from planning foods that I was going to eat. I have learned to look in other areas of my life for that happiness. I have become more active. Before all I did was sit around and think about what I could eat next. Something is lacking in life when we do those sorts of things. We need to look inside ourselves and life around us to find the reasons for that. I too would go on binge eating if I became upset about something. It's like I was telling my body it's going to be alright, eat another cookie. I think working through the problems that cause us to be upset or to find ways to occupy our time instead of eating is a big step in the right direction. It's not just body weight, it's also a mental attitude. I feel that everyone that is trying to overcome overeating, should sit down and take a good look at their life. Sometimes the smallest changes can turn your life around for the better. Change the time that you eat, turn off the TV, get more involved in everyday things. Eat smaller meals more frequently. There's nothing worse during a diet than to feel hungry. You won't have good success, all that does is make you go on a feeding frenzy when it is meal time. Make sure you eat breakfast, a small snack later, lunch, another small snack, dinner, another small snack. Make good choices for your meals, and especially for your snacks. Drink plenty of water. Include atleast 30 minutes of exercise each day. And stay active, even if it's getting up and going to look out the window. You don't have to jump all around and do programed exercises or join an expensive gym class. Go for walks, ride a bike, dance, move your furniture around Exercising involves everything that we do, not just a planned exercise. Get up off the sofa, you're missing out on life. I'm in my very late 40's, I feel I have lost about 6 years of my life sitting around. For those of you that are young that are posting on this thread, take it from this "young" 49'er, you are going about it the right way. Take charge of your life, don't let it slip away. Because as you do get older, your metabolism does slow down. It's harder and harder to lose the weight and get moving when you get some age on you. My kids are grown now, one is getting married in the Spring. Now it's time for me to enjoy making a new life for my husband and I to share now that the kids are grown. To those that do have children and they are leaving the nest, I know you understand what I'm talking about. It's an emptiness you feel, but at the same time you know there's a whole new world out there just waiting to be enjoyed. And I sure couldn't do that with the extra weight and sitting idle. So I have about 23 more pounds to go, sounds simple but it's not. But what I have is determination and that will get me to my goal. And yep, I know there will be more days of standing in front of the icecream freezer, or the bakery, but that's all part of the bad eating habits I've had in my life for a while now. I always ask myself, do you really need that? Isn't there something else that would be just as tasty but not as high in calories that I could choose. So far it's worked.
Hope everyone keeps up the good work. Stay strong and stay confident. You've all been such great support to me, great inspiration to read everyone's thoughts and tips. Let's keep motivated, we can do this together.
Have a great day, I will check in later this evening.
Closed Thread