Old 05-04-2009, 01:53 PM   #31  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Hi Happy -
So sorry that you're going to be away for awhile. I hope that despite your busy schedule you're managing to do good things for yourself and that you are able to enjoy your time with Mom.

Love and big hugs,
diyana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 09:55 PM   #32  

Hello Ladies,

We'll looks like i'm going to have to start on Wed. But that's ok. I'm ready..

Happy - We understand. We'll be here when you get back.

Annie - Girl, you have a busy weekend. That's so cool meeting up with an old friend.

Mitchellez - Good news and on the NO pain. Keep following pt's orders. Accupenture. I tried that a few weeks ago. I think it can bring relief. Find a good one though.

Mel - sometimes it pays to be practical. We're having a gloomy week too. Sunshine is on the forecast by thursday.
1day@atime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:19 PM   #33  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,
Just another day down here in 'Paradise lost'. I think my stress levels have gone through the roof. I could do with a therapeutic hour or so in the garden.

Happy - take time to be with your mother. We will still be here when you get back no doubt.

Michelle - glad to hear you are stretching and resting and doing all the right things.

Patty - so Wednesday it is. Hope you get what you want out of it. I've heard some good things about Jenny Craig.

Annie - nice to meet up with the old friends again. Such a good feeling.

Mel - what a cheer germ you are. Everytime I look at that avatar, I have to smile. There isn't much to smile about around here I can tell you. I feel like going and belting a few heads together. Still I can fix the world in an instant. Only one step at a time. Yesterday was a big hurdle. I really don't think that that person belongs in the job anyway. Word from one of the other windfarms was that she can't walk too far down the yard in her high heels so just guesses at what is and what isn't. Dipstick.

Woke up with a steaming headache this morning and have only just managed to get rid of it. Must have been that yoga dvd I did last night. That moved things that haven't been moved much this year I can tell you. It's long too - just on 50 minutes of slow stretching, bending and contortioning the body. Should do it more often.

Ah well I have had my five minutes of pleasure. Now back into it again.
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:29 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Happy
Come back when you can.

Patty
Let me know how the Jenny Craig's food taste.

Mel
I like your goals. I really need to restrict my computer time until all other goals are met.

Hi Ruth and Madcat.
Drop by any time.

Nothing new on my end, except I need some sunshine.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2009, 10:32 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Shad,
I didn't think much of Yoga until I tried it. I was sore the next day. Don't let work get you down.
ceejay52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 08:23 AM   #36  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

ANNIE~ HEY!! NO GRAZONG IN OTHER PEEPS CUBICLES!! GOOD LUCK WITH THE 7000 STEPS!! I AM NOT UP ON NUMBERS...IS THAT A LOT?

MICHELLE~ GOD I WAS SO SORRY TO HEAR THE PAIN WAS BAD. SOMETIMES IT GETS WORSE BEFORE IT GETS BETTER. HANG IN THERE. KEEP YOUR INNER EYE ON JUNE!!! LOVE THE GOALS.

HAPPY~ SORRY TO SEE YOU GO FOR A MONTH BUT WE ALL HAVE TO DO WHAT WE HAVE TO DO. ENJOY THE MOM TIME AND STAY WELL

PATTY~ WE WILL BE CHEERING YOU ON BY WEDNESDAY

SHAD~ THE HIGH HEELS CRACKED ME UP!! YOU HAVE TO BE KIDDING ME! I CAN WELL IMAGINE WHY YOU HAVE A HEADACHE...THE JOB, THE CHANGE IN TEMPS AND POLLEN EVERY TIME YOU MAKE A TRIP HIOME, THE PLANE ....ETC YOUR POOR BODY PROBABLY WANTS TO KNOW WHATS GOING ON! AS TO THE AVATAR....IT MAKES ME LAUGH WHILE I WAIT FOR IGOR TO GIVE ME A PUSH

JEANETTE~ I NEED TO FIND A LIFE OFF THE COMPUTER HOPE YOU FOUND SOME SUNSHINE

I AM OFF TO FOOD SHOP. NOTHING NEW HERE ANYWAY. LOL JUST NEED A FEW THINGS. SAVING MY BIG BUCKS FOR TRADER'S ON THURSDAY. IT'S DARK AS NIGHT RIGHT NOW. HOPE I CAN STAY DRY
HAPPY TUESDAY/WEDNESDAY!!!!

Last edited by MELODY525; 05-05-2009 at 08:32 AM.
MELODY525 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:15 AM   #37  
Creating a Healthier Me

Default Humor - Shortage Of Surgical Masks For Swine Flu Pandemic

I received this in an email from a friend.

HUMOR - SHORTAGE OF SURGICAL MASKS FOR SWINE FLU PANDEMIC
Attached Images
File Type: jpg masks.jpg (46.8 KB, 9 views)
Old 05-05-2009, 09:26 AM   #38  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Put a smile on your face......singing. Good thing you really cannot hear me, you would need earplugs...hehe

MEL....7000 steps is a lot for me, since I am in a sit down job. I find ALL kinds of reasons to get up and walk around. I did make the 7000 steps yesterday, shouldn't be a prob today as I am going to Curves tonight. Have fun out shopping...

Michelle...You have some great goals for not being able to exercise. I am so proud of you and you are still my exercise QUEEN!! Of course MEL is keeping up with our challenge so she is my exercise PRINCESS now!!

Patty...Wednesday is a good day to start Jenny Craig. Much better than a Friday or Saturday. Stay motivated, you can do this, I know you can, Rah, rah rah for Patty. <----Cheering for you. I cannot post little smiles and such from work, it blocks it out. OR I WOULD!!

Shad....next time you are in the garden, take your frustrations of work out on the dirt, give it a good pounding. At least your headache was from exercise and not from alcohol. Hugs to you sista!

Ceejay...We are having an abundant amount of sunshine today..so I am sending you some your way. ALTHO it is supposed to rain Wed, THur, Fri, and be GREAT on Sat and Sun. YEAH!!

We are having a Cinco di Mayo Mexican pitch in today. Oh piggie city today. Can you say moo moo buckaroo. hehe

Hello Madcat, Ruthie, Hollybelle, Jolly and any others I may have missed.

Much love and many hugs
annie175 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 09:59 AM   #39  

Hi all. I thought I lost you! Just lost me I guess. OK. So, here's a quick update. Took one final - it was an open book, take home exam, and i think I tanked it. Have my other final tonight, heaven help me. I did my duathlon Sunday, and did better than I expected, considering all of my injuries. My cruise got rerouted, due to the swine flu, which involved changing flights and leaving two days early I leave Saturday, and will be MIA for a week. I also put in an offer on yet another house last night. 2 BR Cape Codish house, with charm and potential. I tried to put in a more aggressive offer, so we shall see.

Sorry I have been gone. I just don't know where the time goes. take care all, and will try to stop in daily until I leave
jollygirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2009, 10:19 AM   #40  
Annie - Indiana

Michelle...I am a little slow. I loved the poster. I printed it and gave it to my boss.
Old 05-05-2009, 10:44 AM   #41  
Creating a Healthier Me

Good morning ladies -

I'm feeling optimistic today. I talked with DH and he suggested I talk to the doc and the PT before I go to acupuncture. So I've got a PT appointment today at lunch time and an appointment with the sports med doc next week. In the meantime, I'm doing all my stretches and staying positive. Speaking of optimism, there's a Michael J. Fox special on Thursday evening on ABC called "Adventures of an Incurable Optimist" that looks really good (to me anyway).

Patty - So glad to hear you're going to start Jenny tomorrow! Good for you!! YGG!!

Shad - Sorry to hear work is so stressful. Are there any public parks or gardens or nature areas you can walk around in after work? Perhaps that would alleviate your stress until you can get home and get your hands dirty in your own garden. I think that headache may be more stress related than yoga related...of course, if you did a lot of upside down poses or contorted your neck this way and that, it could've contributed to the headache. Sounds like the hurdle you overcame yesterday, while difficult, was ultimately a good thing. I am definitely listening to the PT and doing all the right things...and trying not to get frustrated that the improvement isn't coming as fast as I'd like.

Ceejay - I hope you get a break in the rain, as well as some free time, to get out and enjoy some sunshine!

Mel - I will be feeling much better by Memorial Day. I keep telling myself that and I firmly believe it. And I will be able to enjoy all summer doing the things I love: fishing, gardening, walking, going to festivals and fairs, etc. Have fun on your food shopping trip!

Annie - Enjoy your Cinco de Mayo pitch in! Not sure I should be the exercise queen this week...maybe the NON-exercise queen! LOL You and Mel can be the exercise queens!

Jolly - I'll bet you didn't do as bad as you thought on the take home exam. Good luck on tonight's final! Congrats on the duathlon!! YGG!! Maybe you are the exercise queen!! Good luck with the house offer. And if we don't see you much before then, have a wonderful time on the cruise!

Well, I've got lots to do...so I'd better get crackin'.

Love and hugs,
Old 05-05-2009, 02:02 PM   #42  
Creating a Healthier Me

Just got done with PT. One more week of no exercising, but she did give more advanced stretches to do. And another positive to all of this....I'm learning SO much medical terminology (especially muscle names) as I'm learning what's tight and how to stretch it/work it out.
Old 05-05-2009, 02:46 PM   #43  
Annie - Indiana

Dr. Michelle, Medicine Woman/exercise Queen
Old 05-05-2009, 04:10 PM   #44  
Annie - Indiana

Garbanzo Bean Info-interesting

A Fiber All Star

Check a chart of the fiber content in foods and you'll see legumes leading the pack. Garbanzos, like other beans, are rich in both soluble and insoluble dietary fiber. Soluble fiber forms a gel-like substance in the digestive tract that snares bile (which contains cholesterol)and ferries it out of the body. Research studies have shown that insoluble fiber not only helps to increase stool bulk and prevent constipation, but also helps prevent digestive disorders like irritable bowel syndrome and diverticulosis.

Lower Your Heart Attack Risk

In a study that examined food intake patterns and risk of death from coronary heart disease, researchers followed more than 16,000 middle-aged men in the U.S., Finland, The Netherlands, Italy, former Yugoslavia, Greece and Japan for 25 years. Typical food patterns were: higher consumption of dairy products in Northern Europe; higher consumption of meat in the U.S.; higher consumption of vegetables, legumes, fish, and wine in Southern Europe; and higher consumption of cereals, soy products, and fish in Japan. When researchers analyzed this data in relation to the risk of death from heart disease, they found that legumes were associated with a whopping 82% reduction in risk!

A study published in the Archives of Internal Medicine confirms that eating high fiber foods, such as garbanzo beans, helps prevent heart disease. Almost 10,000 American adults participated in this study and were followed for 19 years. People eating the most fiber, 21 grams per day, had 12% less coronary heart disease (CHD) and 11% less cardiovascular disease (CVD) compared to those eating the least, 5 grams daily. Those eating the most water-soluble dietary fiber fared even better with a 15% reduction in risk of CHD and a 10% risk reduction in CVD.
Garbanzo Beans Lower Cholesterol

Other research published in the Annals of Nutrition and Metabolism has shown that including garbanzo beans, specifically, in the diet significantly lowers both total and LDL "bad" cholesterol (Pittaway JK, Ahuga KD, et al.).

In this study, 47 adults participated in two eating plans of at least 5 weeks duration. Each food plan provided sufficient calories to maintain participants' weight, but one plan was supplemented with garbanzo beans and the other with wheat.

The garbanzo-supplemented diet, which provided slightly less protein and fat, and more carbohydrate than the wheat-supplemented diet, resulted in a significant 3.9% drop in total cholesterol, which was largely due to a 4.6% drop in LDL "bad" cholesterol. Practical Tip: Enjoyed regularly, garbanzo beans can help lower LDL "bad" cholesterol. Add garbanzos to tossed salads, enjoy them as a dip or spread in the form of hummus or baba ganoush, or let them take center stage as the main ingredient in a spicy curry.

Garbanzos' contribution to heart health lies not just in their fiber, but in the significant amounts of folate and magnesium these beans supply. Folate helps lower levels of homocysteine, an amino acid that is an intermediate product in an important metabolic process called the methylation cycle. Elevated blood levels of homocysteine are an independent risk factor for heart attack, stroke, or peripheral vascular disease, and are found in between 20-40% of patients with heart disease. It has been estimated that consumption of 100% of the daily value (DV) of folate would, by itself, reduce the number of heart attacks suffered by Americans each year by 10%. Just one cup of cooked garbanzo beans provides 70.5% of the DV for folate.

Garbanzos' supply of magnesium puts yet another plus in the column of its beneficial cardiovascular effects. Magnesium is Nature's own calcium channel blocker. When enough magnesium is around, veins and arteries breathe a sigh of relief and relax, which lessens resistance and improves the flow of blood, oxygen and nutrients throughout the body. Studies show that a deficiency of magnesium is not only associated with heart attack but that immediately following a heart attack, lack of sufficient magnesium promotes free radical injury to the heart. Want to literally keep your heart happy? Eat garbanzos.

For even more cardio-protection, team garbanzo beans with garlic or turmeric:

National Health and Medical Research Council (NHMRC) Level III-3 evidence shows that consuming a half to one clove of garlic daily may have a cholesterol-lowering effect of up to 9%. For a quick, tasty hummus, just combine pre-cooked garbanzos in the blender with lemon juice, olive oil, garlic and/or onion, salt and pepper to taste.

In other research, when 10 healthy volunteers consumed 500 mg of curcumin per day for 7 days, not only did their blood levels of oxidized cholesterol drop by 33%, but their total cholesterol droped 11.63% , and their HDL "good" cholesterol increased by 29%! (Soni KB, Kuttan R, Indian J Physiol Phartmacol.) Healthy sauté onions with turmeric for 2-3 minutes then add pre-cooked garbanzos and heat until warmed through.

For the most curcumin, be sure to use turmeric rather curry powder-a study analyzing curcumin content in 28 spice products described as turmeric or curry powders found that pure turmeric powder had the highest concentration of curcumin, averaging 3.14% by weight. The curry powder samples, with one exception, contained very small amounts of curcumin. (Tayyem RF, Heath DD, et al. Nutr Cancer) Practical Tip: Increase garbanzos' cardio-protective effects by spicing them with garlic, which also lowers cholesterol, and turmeric, which not only lowers LDL "bad" cholesterol, but also increases HDL "good" cholesterol. Be sure to use turmeric rather than curry powder; turmeric contains more of the protective compound, curcumin, than does curry powder.

Garbanzos Give You Energy to Burn While Stabilizing Blood Sugar

In addition to its beneficial effects on the digestive system and the heart, soluble fiber helps stabilize blood sugar levels. If you have insulin resistance, hypoglycemia or diabetes, beans like garbanzos can really help you balance blood sugar levels while providing steady, slow-burning energy. Studies of high fiber diets and blood sugar levels have shown the dramatic benefits provided by these high fiber foods. Researchers compared two groups of people with type 2 diabetes who were fed different amounts of high fiber foods. One group ate the standard American Diabetic diet, which contains 24 grams of fiber/day, while the other group ate a diet containing 50 grams of fiber/day. Those who ate the diet higher in fiber had lower levels of both plasma glucose (blood sugar) and insulin (the hormone that helps blood sugar get into cells). The high fiber group also reduced their total cholesterol by nearly 7%, their triglyceride levels by 10.2% and their VLDL (Very Low Density Lipoprotein--the most dangerous form of cholesterol)levels by 12.5%.

Iron for Energy

In addition to providing slow burning complex carbohydrates, garbanzos can increase your energy by helping to replenish your iron stores. Particularly for menstruating women, who are more at risk for iron deficiency, boosting iron stores with garbanzos is a good idea--especially because, unlike red meat, another source of iron, garbanzos are low in calories and virtually fat-free. Iron is an integral component of hemoglobin, which transports oxygen from the lungs to all body cells, and is also part of key enzyme systems for energy production and metabolism. And remember: If you're pregnant or lactating, your needs for iron increase. Growing children and adolescents also have increased needs for iron.

Manganese for Energy Production and Antioxidant Defense

Garbanzos are an excellent source of the trace mineral manganese, which is an essential cofactor in a number of enzymes important in energy production and antioxidant defenses. For example, the key oxidative enzyme superoxide dismutase, which disarms free radicals produced within the mitochondria (the energy production factories within our cells), requires manganese. Just one cup of garbanzo beans supplies 84.5% of the DV for this very important trace mineral.

Protein Power Plus

If you're wondering how to replace red meat in your menus, become a fan of garbanzo beans. These nutty flavored beans are a good source of protein, and when combined with a whole grain such as whole wheat pasta or brown rice, provide protein comparable to that of meat or dairy foods without the high calories or saturated fat found in these foods. And, when you get your protein from garbanzos, you also get the blood sugar stabilizing and heart health benefits of the soluble fiber provided by these versatile legumes.
Old 05-05-2009, 06:06 PM   #45  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Morning all,
Feeling better about things today - although I am a little worried about the stock take coming up next week. The count will be better, but there are still a lot of problems to face. It won't be a great result.
Meantime I will continue to work on the count. Get things as ready as I can for next week and see if I can persuade the Dipstick to get things off shelves and into vans for the immediate jobs on hand. It's very easy to see that none of this mob have a: been involved in stock taking before and b:been around warehouses and SAP before. I can't believe some of the things that happen in this joint. And there are too few staff to improve matters alot.
Aaaah well. I've only 2.5weeks to go and I'm out of here.

Michelle - glad to hear that you are moving along with the stretches, treatment and gentle exercise. Nice move. Thanks for the joke. I couldn't get the picture through the work system email, but I saw it here. Makes you wonder what might happen if she wore double GG or HH size cups. They would have to cut holes for the eyes!!!!

Annie - wow, all that stuff on beans. I'm not all that fussy about beans for one reason or another, however my vegetarian son is slowly introducing me to the various varieties.

Ceejay - thanks for the words of encouragement. Last night I went home and did a Jillian Michaels dvd. A bit different from the yoga. I will probably do the yoga or pilates one tonight. I'm determined to get back into exercise again and this looks like the best way for me at the moment. I have a ton of dvds at home devoted to exercise. I just never got around to using them because I was at the gym all the time.

Jolly - good to hear from you too. Hope this house works out for you. Whats with the market over there? We hear it is falling apart and people are losing their homes to the banks and yet you are having a problem buying one. Sometimes you just have to get a bit aggressive with the realtors and others. Enjoy the cruise and I hope the exam results come in positive for you.

Okay - so now I have another man from another site on the phone worrying about his stock levels. I'd better get onto that one as well. Geez - does anything go right here??

Whoops - forgot Mel!!!! Hiya, and hope you are taking life and those eyes with consideration for your well being! Catch up again when I get home.

Last edited by Shad; 05-05-2009 at 06:08 PM. Reason: Forgot Mellie - now I know I am losing it!!!!! :rofl:
Shad is offline   Reply With Quote