Old 02-04-2009, 03:20 PM   #106  

15 minute run, Day 7, 1 pause left
20 min additional exercise, Day 7, 1 pause left
Crunches, Start over, 2 pauses allowed
No beer, Day 2, 2 pauses allowed
Mod, I am so Jealous! I wish I had that much time to exercise! I could do exercise videos at night I guess, but I can't motivate myself to do it. I don't especially enjoy that form of exercise. I'd love to be able to walk and swim! If you keep that routine up, you'll be dropping weight quickly. Way to go!
So I'm thinking, I have been ingesting 120 less from a daily beer, 200 burned in exercise AT LEAST. So I need a total of 3500 to lose a pound. That would take about 11 days. I need to try to get that down to 7 days. 500 cal a day. I'm still convinced that the body metabolism adjusts. But I also believe it can only adjust to a certain point. Lets face it kids, it's not easy.
The good news is that I am moving my ticker. I will be doing this at the beginning of each month. (I hope) So a 2 pound loss in 3 weeks actually fits with that little math exercise. This morning I was actually down another 2, but I could bounce back from that pretty quick.
Enough of me. See y'all tomorrow!

Last edited by Apple Blossom; 02-04-2009 at 03:22 PM.
Apple Blossom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:43 AM   #107  

S/C/G: 230/179/150

Height: 5'7"

It does adjust somewhat, but then, eventually your activity level will too, if you don't have the energy to do as much, you won't. You'll be exhausted. If you were keeping up your same activity level, eventually you will be losing weight if you don't bring in the right amount of fuel it needs. But yes, you can go into starvation mode and the body metabolism does slow way down.

I read two good articles recently about diet/exercise. One said something about how thin people and overweight people often think differently about hunger. We already intuitively know this but it's nice to see it in black and white. Thin people are not overly concerned about hunger, or feeling hungry. They don't give in to that urge to eat every time, and they know that if they ignore it, soon the "hunger" passes. And it's true. If you can't eat for it, later on, you realize your huge hunger pains have subsided for the most part. You don't feel especially starving. So thin people don't panic and feel like they have to eat, now or very soon.

Also, many overweight people mis-identify hunger--they eat when they are bored, or happy, or anxious or stressed, or excited, or dehydrated, or tired. These all can produce "hunger" urges or pains. We mistake our need for something else for hunger, and thus, go in search of food. We (most of us, that is, myself included) need to realize what we really need and go distract ourselves or do an activity or reduce our stress some other way or drink some water or get some rest or whatever. Engaging someone else in something, like talking, can put off the urge to eat.

And the daughter of Aaron Beck had an interesting article about the 10 or 11 things we need to do to be successful at losing weight--I'll try to find it and post it here. One was quite surprising to me--do not chew gum in your weight-loss efforts. Really? I always had heard that was an effective weight-loss strategy for some.

Anyway, just some musings......

Btw--I am rocking my mini-challenge so far. For some reason, 7 days seems totally doable to me. Of course, the challenge could be the upcoming week-end, but with nothing really planned, I am hopeful to make it through fine....

Last edited by modcat44; 02-05-2009 at 09:44 AM.
modcat44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 09:55 AM   #108  

http://www.sfgate.com/cgi-bin/articl...DD4815JSGB.DTL

Here is the link to one article I just read. At the bottom it has 10 dieting tips, and it talks about what I just said, about not being afraid of being hungry, and just waiting until your regular meal-time to eat anyway.

And another important point--the hungrier you are, the slower you need to eat. I have to remember that. My DH often says I eat too fast (unless I am talking) and I know I do, especially if I am starved or it tastes really, really good.

I have to eat like a princess, or a debutante--one bite, napkin, take a drink of water, say a word or two to whoever, then on to another bite, etc. From some movie or book I once saw/read.
Old 02-05-2009, 05:24 PM   #109  
Never give up

S/C/G: 78 kg/71/65?

Height: 5'1.5"

Unhappy crash and burn...

Long sigh. I really blew it yesterday. I just couldn't stop eating. All sorts of junk and then more junk. I was so irritated, so ticked off about things at work and tired, very tired, and yet I had to keep working. Ok, I know these are excuses, but they are my worst triggers. And now, what do I have for it? More irritation, more stress and now it's aimed directly at me.
So, enough at last! I am NOT going to beat myself up. I just have to find a more intelligent way of dealing with all the crap that happens in life and especially at work.
But, I'm also not going to pretend that losing weight is such a wonderful, fantastic, godawful thing that sticking to my plan is going to make things rosy. No, not at all. It'll just be a little thing, that some days will make me feel a bit better. But a bit better doesn't mean good. Deal with it.
I've got to take things way beyond myself and my petty desires.
Back on things today. Trudge, trudge.
redballoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-05-2009, 07:39 PM   #110  

15 minute run, Day 8, 1 pause left
20 min additional exercise, Day 8, 1 pause left
Crunches, Start over, 2 pauses allowed
No beer, Day 3, 2 pauses allowed
Depressing moment: Went to Fit Day where I updated my "situation" and apparently, when I first logged on to Fit Day I weighed almost 15 pounds less than I do now. That was before I was pregnant with my little one. My daughter was about 3. Wow. I weighed 15 pounds less and I was still trying to lose 10 more. Quite a journey lies ahead.
I fell good today though. The exercise is going really well and I'm enjoying it.
Red, don't despair, you will be back on track tomorrow!
Yeah, I'm a stress eater big time. I LIKE to feel hungry sometimes. I think I even tried to make that a challenge once. Feel the hunger once a day. I don't think I made it through that one.
Gotta run kids! Chin up Red!!
Old 02-06-2009, 01:29 AM   #111  

Conversely, my food challenge is working. My exercise is still below last year's average--probably a function of my increased work schedule and commute times. But the eating is good--everyday now I take TWO big bottles of water to sip on and I have a baggie of raw veggies with me, which I munch on at lunch and during the day, as well as the drive home (before dinner). Tomorrow is my last work day, and then I'll hit exercise this Sat/Sun. Probably I'll over-do it a bit, but I want to get in a lot of "minutes" this week still.

I feel better, just from eating healthier. I hope to lose a pound this week, or next.

Red--you can do it. I know it's hard, believe me. Stress. Ugh. Worry, irritation, drama, and all such ilk are the downfall of most of us. Here's hoping you can get past it all again soon!

Apple-- I have at times almost liked to feel hungry as well, mostly when I was in the midst of a diet and feeling good about the results. But the feeling was fleeting, and I soon started "rewarding" myself for being so good and denying myself so much, so often. So maybe I am scared that I will fall back into that self-destructive pattern again. But I am trying not to give in to every urge to eat, now. And I am attempting more analysis of whether I am truly wanting food, or do I really want or need something else. Certainly I eat (or drink) to help deal with stress, or to elevate my emotions. So I am trying other distraction techniques--I have my IPhone and now will try to play a game or some new music on it, or taking a book with me almost everywhere I try to lose myself in that, and yes, I try to call someone or more likely start to write an email to someone, (or just a long letter to myself, trying to set down in words exactly what I'm feeling or thinking about now) or if home, I need to just get up and do something, even if it's just housework. But better to do some yoga poses or crunches or stretches or such. Or go for a walk. Or Something. I'm still trying to figure it all out.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:35 PM   #112  

15 minute run, Day 9, 1 pause left
20 min additional exercise, Day 9, 1 pause left
Crunches, Day 1, 2 pauses allowed
No beer, Day 4, 2 pauses allowed
Just a quick hello!
Mod, the iphone as a diet tool! There's another marketing angle for them!
Old 02-07-2009, 07:00 AM   #113  
Never give up

Cool pushing on...

Heh, people, thanks for the support. I'm just not up to writing much these past few days, since I've been on a godawful binge for two of 'em. Got things under control today. It's the anxiety, job anxiety, uncertainty, really bad now with management taking people in one by one to offer a couple months' pay if you quit. Sigh.
Anyhow, won't dwell on it now.
The most important thing is that I got the binge under control, I rode, I got some more books. I'm pushing on, damned it, pushing on. You all take care now!

Old 02-07-2009, 05:41 PM   #114  

Ok, here's me last night:

Here was me this morning:

here's what I need:

'Nuff said.
Old 02-07-2009, 07:16 PM   #115  

15 minute run, Day 9, 0 pauses left!
20 min additional exercise, Day 10, 1 pause left
Crunches, Day 2, 2 pauses allowed
No beer, Day 5, 2 pauses allowed
Didn't get the run in yesterday. That challenge is not looking so great, but I'll get as far as I can with it.
Mod, I am jealous again! I'm in some serious need of . Long time before that's gonna happen around here.
I'm kind of bored, in that way.
Sick people in the house today. Moms are not allowed to get sick. Apparently, it's OK for Dads.
I'm going to get out in the yard for a bit before it gets dark. Bye!
Old 02-08-2009, 12:35 AM   #116  

OK, feeling alive again. Well, so much for the no alcohol for "just" 7 days. I was good with the eating part, but not the drinking. So tonight, we went out to a movie and then dinner and I had some again (just a little tonight). But food-wise, I have been good, and feel better b/c of it. I am going to go for another 7 days, with slightly altered rules, to be more reflective of real life.

SO if I want a starch like a noodle or rice or potato, just for one meal of the day only, only one (like not a noodle and a potato same meal) and not more than 2 times/week for any of those 3. So no more than twice/week for the pasta dishes. Same with rice, or potatoes.

Part two has to do with the tortilla, bread and pizza. Not more than once/day, and not more than 2 slices, or two tortillas, or 2 pieces of pizza. So if I have toast in the morning, no sandwich or wrap at lunch, and no pizza for dinner. I love my toast, but may have to plan better if we get pizza one night. This is all to try to force me to eat more veggies as sides or between meals, and more focused on protein and salads and healthy soups as meals.

And let's try for no alcohol again for 6 out of 7 days. One day I am allowed to have some.

Not technically due to start this challenge until Monday. Which is fine--still gotta get through Sunday without any of the above. I can do that.

Apple--don't be too jealous--it was a girl's night out but it kinda blew my challenge a bit, and I don't know how far it set me back with calories and slower fat-burning. But, I guess it is nice to have friends and let loose every once in awhile. Just, I should have known without eating as much this week and the alcohol abstinence that my tolerance would be really low and I should not have had as much as I did. Not particularly happy this morning, both physically and mentally. Couldn't get to the gym. Oh well.

Sunday--gonna swim and eat right and do my WI for my other thread and see if I accomplished anything this week vs. past weeks.

Red--sorry if I let you down. I am not great at follow-through still. I am like you though--pushing on. Pushing myself to get back on the proverbial horse and try another go-'round. I just have to (for the time being) work at this in smaller increments, just 7 days at a time. It seems like the only way to manage myself now.....and I can't even get through one 7-day period yet!

I am so hoping you will have a less-stressful time coming soon. I am pulling for you!
Old 02-08-2009, 05:35 AM   #117  
Never give up

Cool

Hi, people. Stopping in for a check. I will have to start a new challenge or rather restart. Actually, I think I'll start a new one. I think the calorie counting is what set me off bingeing, that coupled with the stress of course.

So, tomorrow I'll start.

Log all food and exercise and do an estimate of calories -- No pauses
New challenge -- Maintain the lean/mean me mindset and eat accordingly -- 3 pauses allowed. (This is something new I'm trying to start eating as if I were the person I want to be. I have found that when I get down on myself, feel given up etc. I start eating like that kind of person. So...I'll try to maintain the mindset. After all, the mind is what makes us, isn't it? We're not forced to do much and we DO have choices, no matter how hard.)

Apple -- You're doing well, from the looks of it. Yes, you've got a ways, but you can do it if you really set your mind to it. Why don't you allow yourself a big reward if you make it? Hope your family gets well again. The sound of "going out in the yard for a bit" sounds nice. The wind is really, really strong and it's COLD here!

mod -- What did you let me down about? I didn't think so. You're going through a rough patch too, it seems, although for a while there you sounded really gung-ho. Well, I know how that can be short-lived at time. Your short challenges sound nice, but those are extras. Where is your 21-day challenge. Even though we're the only three, let's keep things going. You can pick something super easy. but please, let's do something, drinking water, weighing yourself, not weighing, giving yourself a pep talk, whatever. Then again, I'm rather out of it. Maybe you are doing one and haven't posted it....

But,. really, what happened to everyone? Has the economy got people everywhere so down?

Old 02-08-2009, 10:58 AM   #118  

Red--my 21-day challenge is to eat more veggies, and less food intake overall. I just don't remember what day I'm on with that--I think somewhere around 9. I gave myself 3 pauses, and technically I would have to say Friday was a pause, b/c the calories with the alcohol would have been way high I think. But it is a deliberately vague and "easy" challenge--I also have been trying to string together 3 separate 7-day challenges that focuses more on specifics.

I feel like I let you down b/c I was trying to help with the inspiration and motivation and pep talks while you were struggling, to maybe help get you back, too. But I had my failed days as well. Some motivation, huh, to hear about me rah-rahing one day then going out and doing exactly the opposite of what I was supposed to do. It sounded like I was a hypocrite--do what I say, but that's not what I am doing.

I think, from my other threads, several people all over the place are struggling. It could be the general overall bad news we keep hearing and reading about. The entire world revolves around money and jobs and savings and investments and it's all going down. Only those self-sufficient types living off the grid growing and making all their own food somewhere on the edges of civilization as we know it aren't affected, and don't care.

Or it could just be this time of year--winter, (although our aussie and nz friends are in summer, of course) and after the holidays. I don't have the answer. Was it like this last year on the boards? I wasn't here then last year. It does seem to be better, for me at least, when we start having more daylight hours, the darkness coming early at night starts to shut my system down, I know. I seem to get up earlier and get sleepy later when we have the sun doing that also.

OK, on to Sunday. I feel great again today. I will go to my swim class, and resolve to do another something later today. DH wants to go to a movie again today, so will have to get in all exercise before that. (Last night saw The Reader--I can see Kate Winslet winning for that role alone, and I haven't seen Revolutionary Road yet. Today, prob. see Gran Torino.)

Apple--be sure to take care of yourself as well--I hope you don't get sick, too!
Old 02-08-2009, 02:47 PM   #119  

Ok, went back and re-read the posts--I started the 21-day challenge on the 31st--so today is the 8th so that means:

More Veggies--on Day 9
Less Food Overall--on Day 9
Exercise Every Day, even if just a walk--this is the bad one, on Day 6, already had 3 pauses, so will probably have to start over on this one soon....
Post Here Every Day--on Day 7--had two days I didn't post--2/04 and 2/06--I can hardly believe it b/c I have been pretty active here but I guess I let two whole days slip by me.....

WI today was .06 pounds lighter than same time last Sunday, but about 2-and-a-half pounds lighter than Monday, after the SuperBowl, when I started my 7 day mini-challenge.

So, good! Somehow my conservatism this week, despite Friday night's excess, seems to have paid off. Now on to Week Two.....

Last edited by modcat44; 02-08-2009 at 02:48 PM.
Old 02-08-2009, 02:59 PM   #120  

15 minute run, Day 10, 0 pauses left!
20 min additional exercise, Day 11, 1 pause left
Crunches, restart, 2 pauses allowed
No beer, Day 6, 2 pauses allowed
Restarting on the crunches. I have a hard time remembering to do them. Part of it is that if I do them in front of DH he will tell me I'm doing them wrong or make some other comment that will bug me. So I have to sneak my crunches.
I'm like that with phone calls too. I need to sneak phone calls. Sounds healthy, doesn't it.
Mod, you are making me jealous AGAIN! A movie? I haven't been to a "grown up" movie forever. I am actually thinking of taking the kids out for a movie later today.
Red, I'm not going anywhere until this weight comes off. So you're stuck with me!
Gonna get that run in now. Enjoy the day!