Closed Thread

Old 10-24-2008, 11:43 AM   #181  

S/C/G: 200/189/165

Height: 5 ft 1 inch

Ruth
Hugs sending good thought your way.

Happy
I'm trying hard not to listen to the news but it's every where. I'll be glad when the election is over and the economy gets back on track.

We have early voting so I did my duty yesterday. My aunt and uncle will not like the way I voted but that is my decision.

I woke up this morning after a restless night with a sore throat. It's been going around. I still don't feel like driving to Paragould today, maybe tomorrow.

I also told my aunt and uncle last week end that Christmas spending is going to be cut drastically this year. I can't afford 5 families this year.
Old 10-24-2008, 12:13 PM   #182  
Choose your hard

S/C/G: Stuck/Working on it/Good 2 Go

Height: Fun Size

Ceejay - I voted early too yesterday. I thought that a rainy day, mid week in the afternoon - there might not be too many people. We only had to wait 35 minutes which wasn't too bad. People have many strong feelings this election, it's hard not to get emotionally involved. As you say, you have to vote with what you think is best. I am really frightened that we are in a horrible downspin we won't recover from for a very long, long time.

Everyone I talk to, including myself feels like you in regards to Christmas spending and cutting back. That will be more bad news for the retailers and Wall Street. They said that some businesses like Borders Books and Circuit City Electronics are having such a hard time now that if they have to face a bad holiday season it could mean the end for them. Hard to believe...
Old 10-24-2008, 02:23 PM   #183  
Creating a Healthier Me

S/C/G: 250/see ticker/150

Height: 5'2"

Ruth - My thoughts and prayers are with you. May you find comfort in happy memories during this difficult time.

Happy - so sorry to hear about your tooth. I hope you were able to get that taken care of.

I hope everyone else is doing well, and I hope to catch up with y'all this weekend. I've got a weekend of R&R ahead. Lots of rest as I try and clear out my lungs and get my energy back. The doc thinks my pneumonia is clearing up and I just have a lingering virus (maybe something DH brought back from Mexico) which is why I'm tired and it's playing havoc with my asthma which is causing the chest tightness. No more steroids, just two inhalers and finish my antibiotics. Lots of liquids, lots of rest. At least I only am working two days next week before taking 3 days of vacation (hopefully I'll be well enough to go fishing). Doc says I can get the flu shot on Monday since this is mostly an asthma issue now.

I'm just looking forward to being done for the day so I can go home, eat and go to bed. Such an exciting life I lead! LOL

Love and hugs,
Old 10-24-2008, 05:10 PM   #184  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

Just A Quick Note. I Will Come Back Next Week And Read And Catch Up. I Need Time To Myself.
I Had An Awful Fight With Medicaid And The Repair Vendor. Everyone Has Been Banned To Their Resp[ective Corners For The Final Argument On Monday. The Chair Repairs Have Been Denied For The 3rd Time In 90+ Days. Now I Have To Go To Medicaid Court And Try One Last Time. God Even Knows How To Do That. Papers Are Coming In The Mail To Show Me The Steps It Takes For The Trial. Just What I Needed. I Need Some Time Alone. I Have Nothing Else To Give Anymore.
Love You All. Mel
Old 10-24-2008, 07:59 PM   #185  

S/C/G: too much/going down/just right

Height: 157cm

Ouch for October, I think it should be.

Ruth - good to hear from you and I am pleased to know that you are hanging in there okay. Pizza and wine sounds just fine to me. If it is homemade pizza - even better.

Happy - Dunnage bags??? What the heck are dunnage bags. I will try to make the picture bigger but I don't think it will make too much difference really. It really is an optical illusion picture.
Not sure what we should call November. If we nix the nasties like Carla wants then should we tempt fate with the 'nasties'??

Carla - I like the name, but if I suggested it round here I would probably be on the 'push in front of a train' list. The locals don't accept change readily. They already have a list 14 miles long for the reasons they don't like daylight saving (it's here on trial at the moment). Do you really have a pee - oops pea, sorry - in your bed??? Glad you are looking forward to the trip to NYC. Love to be there with you but guess what - I'm still in Dampier and still working here. My boss has sent me a cryptic message yesterday - if I don't have enough work to do - feel free to go grab a warehouse employee!!!! The mind boggles. Think I will race thru the work just to see what I can grab! I hear you on the drop in currency. To think that just over a year ago, I was getting 90c US for my AUS$ and now its around 70c - the Canadian rate is a bit worse as well. We were almost on a par last time I bought some of those. Bloody greedy assh*les.

Mel - red rock stuff they mine here ???? Well you are a bit closer than Happy and the dunnage bags but no cigar there.
I think you need time to yourself. As for taking people to court - wtf are they doing this for. Can't you get the mayor to write a letter stating that as you do voluntary work (for a small stipend) for the building that you need to be able to move around at any time and that if you didn't do this work then the State would be paying $40KPY to get someone to actually manage the buildings? Will it take a death due to negligence there to actually get them off their asses?

Ceejay - I always thought that a democracy meant that the people made their own decisions about the way they voted and what the majority wanted was what the country got. It doesn't matter what anyone else wants, you have as much right to your opinion as the next person in line. And good for you for voting early. Wish we had early voting but we don't. Just one day, just one vote. That's it. Not the same hoop-la as you all have to go through either. Should go see if I can find the joke about the lie clocks and attach it here. That'll give us all a laugh.
Christmas spending. Well I don't have a big family like yours, so it isn't the same sort of problem, however for what it is worth, here's how my friend Chris and her big family get around the problem. Chris has 5 brothers and sisters and each has a partner, umpteen nieces and nephews, and 2 kids and 4 grandkids of her own. Each Christmas they put all the names of the adult brothers and sisters plus husbands or wives into a hat (or a jar or whatever) then each one draws out a name. They then have to buy for that person for next Christmas, and the value is not to be above $75.00 (this used to be 50 but things got more expensive). They then only have to buy for their own children. The parents are long dead. They have an entire year to sort out and purchase something special for that person. Works for them. It might work for your large family as well.

Michelle - feel better soon.

Yesterday I quit work early - well I have done 10+ hours per day since I got here Wednesday week ago and I went into Karratha and found myself some reading matter. Got enough books to keep me happy for quite a few weeks. Then I went back to camp and went back to the gym for an hour - showered, had dinner and went to bed. Got up early again this morning and went back to the gym. There had been someone in there at 3.30am that morning. I've committed to do 3 days of at least 30 minutes per day in the gym and I have done that this week. However I need to find something to do in the evenings because otherwise I get stuck with a book and find myself asleep at around 8.30 which means I will be awake around 2 looking for something to do.
There is a fair amount of social life here, most worked around the wetmess (local bar in camp) However tonight the gym is putting on a walking session to watch the sunset and tramp around town. I think I might just join in. On Monday night, there is a girls night in where they are raising money for breast cancer and I have been invited to that. I might just go I think. Need to keep myself from just lazing around. Might help me sleep better too.

Now as to the picture.
Actually it is an aerial view of the Dampier Salt pans, otherwise known as Anchovy Flats.

And yes it is an area filled with sea water and the sun evaporates the water and the salt is then dredged from the pan, cleaned and sent to be flavoured, packaged and sold on the shop shelf. No matter how big you get the picture, it never looks like flat water. Pink salt (now a big fashion favourite of the chefs around the country) comes from here. It is normal sea salt which hasn't had all the iron content removed.

And with that, I had better get back to the railways and sort some more people out. Then I might get to go grab that man.
Old 10-25-2008, 11:53 AM   #186  
Choose your hard

Dunnage bags... are you familiar with the occasional clear plastic bags filled with air that are used in packaging to keep the contents of the box from shifting? Well a dunnage bag does just that. Large inflatable bladders used for shipping. Some actually are the coppery color of your picture. Actually I had no idea what you pic was, that's what it looked like to me at first guess - like the old Rorshaulk test - what comes to mind when you see this ink blot? Very interesting what it really is. Thank you for sharing. I have started to see some of these exotic salts in the store. It would seem that salt is salt is salt unlike actual spices or peppers so I just admire the pricy things and move on. Seen the pink salt too- it's quite pretty.

Well we seem to be on a 2 month roll just bad luck, unfortuntate circumstances. Perhaps we should name November something like There's GOT to be Something Good in November Worldlies. Hugs abound for all who need them

Shad it's good that you are back in the gym. That sunset walk sounds lovely. Would seem that you only require about 5 hours of sleep if you're waking up at 2am. That's not good. I realize not everyone needs 8 but 5 is rather short. Or are you having the restlessness that DH does? I think joining some of the gym activities might be a nice change.

Mel, I am soooo sorry for you latest fiasco. I truly wish there was some way I could help. Please don't let the stress get to you my friend. We will miss you but do what's right for you, ok?

Gee Michelle, I didn't realize you can bring Montezuma's revenge back with you I'm glad you can at least get your flu shot. Don't need to get kicked around anymore later on. I missed getting my flu shot as I could not get to the office in time with my tooth issues Friday. I hope she will hold a shot for me otherwise I will just tough it out with my own resistance this year.

Hi Ceejay - hope you are enjoying your weekend. Same to you Madcat and Carla. I'm sure Ruth is busy with plans.

Tonight we are having a neighborhood party - hot dogs and Halloween based activities for the kids. It's a rain date reschedule of an earlier event. Going to be rather chilly tonight - those firepits will be welcome. The president of the homeowners association cannot make it so has delegated speech making to me. So I have to come up with a few choice words. We are having the party in a cul-de-sac which is a rounded street with only one outlet. The lady who is organizing the party has her house decorate so adorable with stacks of lighted pumpkins on the first floor and lighted ghosts looking out the windows on the second floor. I wanted to do the same but DH said we have enough decorations already

Well I need to get a move on here, keep your chin up folks. DH is awaiting his pink slip too...
Old 10-25-2008, 06:08 PM   #187  

Hello Ladies,

Ruth - Thoughts and prayers are with you.

Mitchellez - Glad to hear your feeing somewhat better. Don't overdo it with the exercising.

Happy - I like the November name, we need some good vibes next month. Hope you get a good turnout tonight.

Melody - sending good vibes to you. Hope your getting a chance to rest and rejuvenate.

Traveled a few days this week. House is a mess. I took my niece to her school carnival as her mom(my sister) was sick. Tonight is my church carnival.. I'm tired but will show up and give my support. Tomorrow is my day and i'm sleeping in late..

Hello to everyone else.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:30 PM   #188  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

I had this really long post going...and it zapped, I will finish later. Going out to get a breath of fresh air.
Old 10-25-2008, 07:32 PM   #189  

Morning all,

Happy speech making Happy - hope you can think up some choice words for the uninitiated and the unaware. " I'm here before you, to stand behind you and tell you something I know nothing about"! Gotta love public speaking.

I think I have organised myself out of existence today. I have my calendar printed and on the cork board for everyone to see what I am up to. I've filled in the timesheet for the week and the work summary for the boss. I'm about to start on my next R & R time which will be sometime after training in a couple of weeks time. I have a presentation on the workings of a SAP Warehouse to deliver to a warehouse bloke today. If it works, I then get to give it to the big wigs. Then hopefully they will be able to make some decisions as to how things are going to work.
I didn't get to the Sunset walk yesterday. The left leg and hip went out in sympathy with Happy's and it was aching too much to subject it to more exercise. I did the washing, folding and ironing instead. Last night was the changeover to DST here in the West so there wasn't quite as much sleep to be had as needed. Got up this morning to a wonderful display of a new moon and a million stars - some seemed so close you could almost touch them.

Not much else to report on. I'd better go and bone up on some courses and learn what to say and when or even better what not to say and when.

I'll be back.
Old 10-26-2008, 09:38 AM   #190  
Happy September

S/C/G: 1/13: 197/181.5/145

Height: 5'2"eyes of blue

THE PHONE HAS BEEN RINGING OFF THE HOOK SINCE I POSTED. I HAVE PITTED THE INS. DOCTOR AGAINST THE REPAIR VENDOR. BECAUSE OF THE "BILLING HICCUP" THE VENDOR IS AT FAULT AND ONE STEP AWAY FROM FRAUD. I DO BELIEVE HE WILL DO THE MORALLY RIGHT THING AND "EAT THE LOSS" OF THE REPAIR. AND THERE IS ALSO DOUBT THAT SOME REPAIRS WERE EVEN PERFORMED THE LAST TIME 4 YRS AGO. THAT MECHANIC HAS SINCE BEEN FIRED. ONE WORD FROM ME AND THIS ENTIRE FIGHT WILL BECOME WWIII. THE INS. DR TRIED HIS BEST TTO GET ME TO TALK...BUT I USED IT INSTEAD TO SWAY THE VENDOR. HE IS NO FOOL AND SEES THE POSITION HE'S PUT HIMSELF INTO. I'VE BEEN WITH THIS VENDOR ALMOST 17 YEARS AND HE IS NOT ABOUT TO LOSE AN ACCOUNT THAT GETS HIM THOUSANDS OF DOLLARS AND IS STEADY WORK....TO SAY NOTHING OF A POSSIBLE INVESTIGATION.
IF I HAD KEPT THAT THOUGHT IN MY HEAD FROM THE START...I WOULD HAVE NOT GOTTEN PHYSICALLY ILL FROM THIS WHOLE MESS TWICE NOW. BUT I LOST MY TRAIN OF THOUGHT THRU TEARS. A GOOD LESSON...TEARS GET YOU NO WHERE UNLESS THE PERSON YOU ARE SPEAKING TO HAS A FRIGGING HEART!!!
ANYWAY...I AM NOT COUNTING MY CHICKENS YET BUT I DO BELIEVE THE CHAIR WILL BE REPAIRED THIS TIME FOR FREE AND BACK IN MY POSSESSION SOON. LOTS OF BUTT KISSING CALLS GOING ON NOW.
THE ONLY PROBLEM IS THAT THE INS. DOCTOR IS REMAINING FIRM ON REPAIRING ONLY ONE CHAIR FROM NOW ON AND HAS TOLD ME TO PICK WHICH ONE IT WILL BE!! HER HAS ALSO TOLD ME TO THINK ABOUT A HOMEMAIKER FOR A FEW HOURS A DAY...LIKE 2-3. NOT FOR ME. NOT YET. THANKS BUT NO THANKS. ONLY ONE CHAIR FIXED??? WELL THAT IS A FIGHT FOR A LATER DATE!!! ONE BATTLE AT A TIME.

I WILL READ AND CATCH UP DURING THE WEEK. MORE DECISIONS FOR TOMORROW AND MUCH TO MUCH PHONE WORK.
Old 10-26-2008, 10:33 AM   #191  

Mel, you truly are a warrior, and you will get the chair back one way or another. But I fail to see the doc's logic - isn't it cheaper for the insurance to keep your chairs in good repair than to finance a housekeeper three hours a day??? And isn't the ideal to keep you as independant as possible for as long as possible?? Even from the outside the decision looks totally illogical; I can only imagine how frustrated you must be feeling. that you really have won the battle this time round. And lots of virtual until I show up on your doorstep with some real ones.

also to Ruth, who I hope is holding her own, and to Michelle, who must be getting very tired of feeling unwell.

Happy, how did the speech go? Being in front of a large group is not my best thing - I find it hard to think with the roar of nerves in my head.

to Shad, Ceejay, Nae, Madcat, Rennie, Patty, and whoever I've missed..

How about "Wordly Chicks For a Nicer November"? Thoroughly wimpy, but unlikely to attract the slings and arrows of outrageous fortune.
Old 10-26-2008, 01:35 PM   #192  
Choose your hard

Hi folks,

We had a great party last night. The president showed up and I made him speak

The woman who mostly organized this did an incredible job decorating her house for Halloween. DH saw how cool it looked and is going to help me decorate the upstairs windows at our house. I have to hurry and be ready as he wants to head out to the store in 15 minutes so I can't stay here right now.

and much love and success to Mel on a fight she should NOT have to be dealing with.

I'll be back later chicks.

I kinda like your suggestion for November Carla. I can't take any more gloom and doom. After all for those of us in the states, it's the month of Thanksgiving even if we do have to deal with turkeys all around us
Old 10-26-2008, 04:18 PM   #193  
Annie - Indiana

S/C/G: 303/143/165

Height: 5'9"

Good Afternoon...

I am going to try this again.

Went to the mall last night with DD. We just walked around as neither one of us has any money. Her employer, ACE Mortgage closed all locations nationwide on Friday, so she came home unemployed. Just perfect!! Guess she and I will get quality time together. haha

Michelle...darlin' you keep taking good care of yourself. God love you.

Madcat. Have fun at at lunch with long lost friend.

Carla...yes, nasty November...it has to get better than October was for me and the family.

Ruthie...my deepest sympathies, however you seem to be in a good mindset now.

Happy...the Eagles. I am soooooo jealous. It reminds me of my teen years and Dave, the one who didn't work out, from HS days. Altho good memories. When you send the PB and cheese, be sure to send enough for two as DD and I are both unemployed.

Shad...when you steal the night away, come here, Lord knows I am home these days and could use the company.

MEL....Everything in life worth having always seems to come with a fight. Couldn't just a few things just plain ole happen the way they should? Goodluck with BOTH chairs.

Hello to all I may have missed.

Here is the agenda for this week. My BF is coloring my hair on Monday. Tuesday I have an interview with ITT Technical Institute for Executive Admin in HR. I am not fond of HR people, but hope to become one. Wednesday will be searching more for me and the DD for positions. Thursday the same as Wednesday. Friday at 1:00 pm I have an interview with Humana for Executive Admin/Coordinator. Either one would suit me fine, they both have great benefits and pay well. Keep everything crossed, light a candle, and say extra prayers.

Tony is a total babe. We went to the movies on Friday night to see "Body of Lies" about Iraq. It was a pretty good. At least I know when I go out with Tony, I get to eat, he always feeds me. I bring home leftovers for DD. Isn't that pathetic. hahahaha.

We cleaned out the garden and have about 75 green tomatos of various sizes. We did have fried green tomatos last night. Quite the yum. Took a batch over to my parents this morning for my visit with them. Have a bag for the Tony man, and still have bunches left over. Got about 6 green peppers and 3 jalapenos. I think there is a recipe <---MEL..that is your hint, for green tomato salsa.

Need to pop some clothes in the dryer. It has been a lazy Sunday. Everyone feel better, be happy and have a marvelous Monday.

Much Love and hugs
Old 10-26-2008, 05:15 PM   #194  
Come on Spring!

S/C/G: 232/170/150

Height: 5'0" on a tall day

Just checking in between petting dogs! The Pypers left me Bailey (Lucy's littermate) while they went to Kingston for the day. It's strange - and nice - to have another Portuguese Water Dog around, even if she's not Hershey or Lucy.

My life is kind of "on hold" for now although I do have stuff to do this week before the funeral. My friends - both IRL and online - have been tremendously supportive. When they ask, "What can I do to help", I let them know. It's too bad we've had so much rain or the leaves would be raked up by now.

Tomorrow I'll be spending 7:30 to 10:30 at the garage in the next town while I get my car exhaust system changed. Maybe they'll lend me a car or drive me home because I really would rather be home. Will be helping a friend get her dear old dog put to sleep during the week, have music and hymns to choose for the funeral, an appointment for a haircut and other odds and ends to get done before Thursday. All this will be interspersed with phone calls and folks turning up at my door with food! My freezer is slowly filling up. I should be more grateful but who the heck needs four loaves of banana bread!

Right now I need to let the dogs out for a final potty and saddle them up to go to my sister's for dinner. I really hope to be home by nine so I can fall asleep watching "Desperate Housewives"!

I really AM fine, Worldlies....just no time for personals these days.
Old 10-26-2008, 06:05 PM   #195  

Morning all,

Annie - that's wonderful that you have two interviews lined up. everything for you. Hate interviews but you get through em the best way you can.
Sorry to hear the DD is now unemployed. Unfortunately the situation will get worse before it gets better. A change of government will not fix the problem overnight like some seem to think. However your positive attitude is a credit to you. I daresay you have your downtimes but you are hiding it well.

Mel - thank goodness for small mercies. Maybe one chair at a time is a good idea. Go with the battle, get the worst one done now, then put the other one in next year. You may have to consider only two! Figuratively speaking I have your back! And Carla will be there soon to give you the hugs that I will be sending.

Happy - all this decorating. Hope it gives pleasure to the multitudes. I've never celebrated Halloween so don't know what is good about it.
If you have 'turkeys' all around, shoot 'em and eat them for Thanksgiving dinner. Saves buying one at the store!

Carla - yep, like the title. Best not to invoke the nasties I think. Are you back home again now or are you still doing your best to annoy the Hilton in Montreal?

Ruth - sounds like you are keeping busy - which of course keeps you out of trouble and off the streets. I thought your sister was in Portugal or has she come back now? Understand that life is on hold. You've had your share of blows for the time being. Sit back, relax, try to think happy thoughts, we'll still be here when you are ready to chat

And with that, I had better go think some happy thoughts about my job. I've got a few things to sort out and then I head out for the training rooms to familiarise myself with them and talk to the administrators down there. It's just across the road from the camp (and has a great ocean view) so maybe I might just sneak home for a cuppa at lunch time. I'll be back.
Closed Thread