Old 08-31-2007, 08:15 PM   #376  
Lifelong Journey Member

Height: 5' 6"

Hi all, just a quick note as it's time to pack for the mini trip to the LA area. DH and I are meeting DS1 in Sen Bernardino tomorrow then are going to the NASCAR race on Sunday. Then driving back on Monday. I'm not bringing a computer so I'll be posting again on Tuesday.

BTW, DS1's new company just laid off 1/3 of their employees - DS1 being one of them. He didn't like it so all is good. So on Monday he's driving back with us. Almost DIL and DGS will be soooooo happy.

Penny, down a pound!!!!! All RIGHTTTTT. Great job. You are doing so great. I know about risk taker sons. DS2 is one - just gotta let them do their thing. Not the easiest motherly task, but one we're both resigned too.

Carol, enjoy the camping. The snacks sound good for you. Me - I've packed Oreos, moose munch, lemon cookies, cantaloupe. See - one good for me thing. I also will find a few others. I eat my way across driving trips and it's the only way the ADHD monster stays at bay. So if I gain a pound, so be it - I'll need to lose 6 instead of 5 for the challenge.

Judy, the monster moved West and is now in my house. Scat, I tell you. Scat. How do we rid ourselves of this deamon????]

Emma, I hope today is going better than yesterday food wise. Penny's right, there are many days in a year so you'll be right back at it.

Well, time to pack. I did walk on the treadmill yesterday and today - 1.5 miles each time. I propelled across my pool yesterday for a little over 1/8 mile but since I can't swim at the moment, that's all my body could take. It was nice though.
Marie
Marie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2007, 03:56 PM   #377  

S/C/G: 254/236.5/179

Height: 5'6

Arrgh, I woke up this morning totally congested, a full-fledged sinus problem jumped out of nowhere and attacked me! Never a dull moment. Speaking of which, on Friday I learned that I have new torn cartilage in my knee (this is probably what happened earlier this summer). So instead of physical therapy, all I'm supposed to do for a while is ride the boring exercise bike for 30 minutes most days, and maybe throw in a little ellipitical trainer at a low resistance. And avoid stairs as much as possible. With any luck, I will be able to avoid more knee surgery. I'm going to continue to do my low-impact aerobics, too. So much for learning challenging new routines on the weight machines.

This has all taken the wind out of my sails the past few days. I know I won't be at 220 by tomorrow morning . Oh, well. We will carry on!

Marie, I hope your trip goes well. Maybe you can leave the monster in desert or in the mountains along the way.

Penny, yaay on the lost pound .

Emma, I do eat several small meals...maybe too many, I feel like I'm grazing all the time. I have had trouble this past week sticking to my planned snacks.

Okay, I need to work on my attitude, and pronto.

judy
judydc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2007, 07:57 AM   #378  

S/C/G: See tracker

Height: 5'5"

Ugh, I hate month-end reports, was too busy to post. Got my exercise in yesterday and food was okay, planning to exercise today as soon as I get home. I'm off work and will be out of town for 5 days will have to work hard to stay on plan and get my exercise in but I'm excited, I really need the time off

Carol ~ Your snacks sound yummy, will try to make some of my own for the trip.

Penny ~ Yay for 1 pound down! you're right 356 days one day shouldn't make a big difference

Marie ~ Hope you're having fun in LA. Sorry to hear about your son, that's really bad that the company is laying off 1/3 of their employees. We had a similar cut last year, lost a lot of good colleagues

Judy ~ Wow, judy that's really bad. I hope your knee gets better, just take it easy.

~ Emma
JigglyBits is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:51 AM   #379  
fIREFLY

S/C/G: 179/172.5/165

Height: 5'7''

Camping was great sleeping of course is always a little off. But lots of exercise and for the most part good choices with foods. Lots of fruit and I even took little scallops and grilled them for a snack before dinner time. Put them on skewers over the wood fire. Lots of great kayaking so lots of exercise there then hiking. Lots of bird watching also saw some cranes huge ones, 2 swan families, geese, golden bald eagle and hawks. Some of the kayaking was tough due to some winds but just a little more effort. I feel great this morning accept for my body still is giving me some issues but it is getting better. Kayaking was super! The hubby is also enjoying it which is so great to see him active with something fun and enjoyable.

Penny congrats to you! That is wonderful. I am hoping to lose some this week and I feel good and on track. A few little oops but not bad nothing to regret at this time. I am hoping for a good choice week.

Judy I also had that knee problem but had to get it replaced as mine was too far gone. So good luck and try your best to follow the doc's directions maybe you can avoid surgery. At least with biking you can ride and read or listen to a book or something??? Got to find some good in it. I am going to start exercising good this week as I figure I already have a great base after this weekends activities. Still looking for a gym.... Think I will ask for a week free to figure out what I like maybe they will let me?

Marie did I miss something what or who moved in with you? Hope your trip was fun and a few extra snacks to make a happier you isn't a bad that once in awhile. As you said just a little more to take off and for a good cause this time. I like licorce for long trips normally red. Just a thing we did with the kids.
Hope the trip was fun.

Emma being out of town is never easy but you will be okay. Just remember to do some walking or exercise of some sort it always helps to balance our extras during these times. Well I must go put my face on for work and time for a new hairstyle I think maybe after work tonight.
cacmsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 11:11 AM   #380  
Brit Chick

Height: 5' 5"

Marie - I hope you had fun in LA. I heard they were having a heat wave. Sorry to hear that your DS1 got laid off. I hope things work out and he finds a new job soon. How are you doing with your sore wrist, etc.?

Judy - Sorry about your knee acting up again and that you're having sinus trouble too - you poor thing! Be kind to yourself and I hope you can find an exercise that won't over stress your knee. My sinuses are also bad right now - I think maybe there's more mold in the air at this time of the year. I've been using those breathe right strips and they help a bit, also taking some sudafed non-drowsy.

Emma - I hope you're enjoying your vacation.

Carol - Your camping trip sounds great. I'm glad your DH had a good time too. You got to see a lot of wildlife - that's good for the soul! I hope you find a suitable gym.

I'm getting psyched up for my trip to England that's coming up on the 13th. I can't believe how quickly it's come around! I'm just hoping I can shake my sinus thing and get caught up on sleep before the long haul flight from here. It will be great to see Mum & Dad again. I'm fortunate that they are still in pretty good shape health-wise as they are both 85.

Have a good week everyone.
penpal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2007, 06:09 PM   #381  

I'm back and over it...I've been bombarding my sinuses with natural and homeopathic meds, nasal irrigation (hey, you get used to it), and nightime antihistamine, so right now I have the upper hand. . I'm used to creaky knees, and have had two surgeries on one of them already. My goal is to avoid any further cutting on either knee for as long as possible! So the bike it will be, but I will do other aerobic things, too, or I'll go crazy. I always listen to music and read magazines while I'm on the machines. It's hard for me to stay on the bike for more than 10 minutes without major distractions.

Penny, lots of folks are dealing with sinus things here, something is definitely in the air! I hope yours is fine before that long flight. I flew to Japan once with a sniffly nose, and ended up with a sinus infection that nagged me the whole trip.

Carol, you are quite the outdoor gourmet! You are smart to ask for week pass at a prospective gym. I made a huge mistake once and signed up for a gym before checking it out on days and times I was mostly like to use it.

Emma and Marie, I hope you are having nice trips. Nikki and Jennelle, I hope you are doing well. Let us know!

I'm headed out tomorrow for New Orleans, back late Friday night. I will try to check in everyday. I'll need to--so many boring meetings and yummy distractions....My goal for Columbus Day is to keep logging, bike the blasted bike at least three days a week, and get down to 217.

judy

Last edited by judydc; 09-04-2007 at 06:15 PM.
Old 09-04-2007, 08:41 PM   #382  
fIREFLY

Penny your trip sounds lovely what a beautiful place to beable to go to. I could only dream of visiting there I think. I guess some high tea times are in order? Hope it all goes well.

Judy have a safe trip. Take care of the knees flying is hard for me with mine. I am quite tall and in the airplanes it bothers me to sit to long without streching them out for a bit. New Orleans I always think of gumbo.

Marie hope your doing well.

Nikki where are you? Emma your missing too? Hope everyone is doing well and checks in soon.

I did pretty good with eating today pretty much on task. Didn't get to exercise other than walking to my car and office etc. Pretty busy day. I will plan some on wed though and of course this weekend. Had to get some housework done tonight before it gets too out of hand. Boring stuff!
Old 09-04-2007, 10:44 PM   #383  
Lifelong Journey Member

Hi all, the LA trip was icky. Penny mentioned the heat wave. 10 hours out in 111 degree sunshine was horrible. But not as back as the venue for the race. I would never, ever go back there. The gouged the fans for $4 per 20 oz bottle of water. To justify it in my mind, I just thought of what a hospital co-apy would be. That was just plain wrong. But it was great to see DS1 and he's very happy to be home with his DS. He didn't like the place he was working and had planned to quit in 3 weeks. I'm not sure he would have made it that long so the layoff was good for him. Not a resume ding this way. I don't think he's actually looking for another job. He's waiting until almost DIL finishes school in December. He wants to be a stay at home daddy and he's working on a game programming with another programmer. If that sells, that would be his one adventure into the working world.

Carol, the munchie monster moved in with me and no Judy, it wouldn't leave me. I couldn't get it off my back all weekend. I'm gaining and that's bad. Today I've been angelic to get on track. I want all the bad foods out and for my stomach not to expect so much food. I'm on my own induction plan. For two months, I'm going to be at abou 1300-1400 cals (today a bit less as it's too late to pread out the remaining calories).

The left wrist is still not good, the left rib is healing slowly but is much better than last week's whine, the right wrist is so-so. And tomorrow my left knee is going to the orthopedist. The right toe surgery is healing and will take about 2 more weeks. I'm just literally falling apart.

DS2 brought his treadmill in from the garage and parked it next to mine. After work, he ran while I walked a mile. I felt like we were in a gym having them lined up. Tomorrow I'll walk 1.5 miles before work. I didn't want to get up this morning.

Penny, I bet your Mum and Dad are so excited to see you. You'll have a wonderful time. Keep your thoughts on not binging but know that you'd get right back on track if you splurge.

Judy, so sorry about your knee. Riding the exercycle actually aggravates mine (whereas my bike doesn't except when I flip it over - okay that knee was the only thing that didn't get hurt in the fall). I agree with Carol on the audiobook idea. The treadmill and exercycle don't bore me when I'm listening to a book. Music- I still get bored. Not wiht a book that takes me away.

Carol, sounds like your camping was great. It's awesome that your DH is able to join the kayaking. That'll be wonderful in the future.

Emma, enjoy your 5 days off and good luck with the eating while away. Just like Penny, you'll get back on board if you don't. I can't say that to Judy as she's always out of town and must then always be vigilant even on the road.

Well, I'm tired so I'll chat more tomorrow.
Marie
Old 09-05-2007, 06:59 AM   #384  
fIREFLY

Marie I have faith in you girl and know that you will be just fine. So sorry the body parts are giving you some trouble but don't feel alone there. I am right next to you too. I still am having some trouble and sleeping last night wasn't great. I am ready to take a little something to help that but maybe a little wine is healthier before bed. I haven't been on the scale but will by thurs. just wanted to give myself time to adjust a bit. A couple of weeks ago I was really feeling bloated etc. so now I feel better and seem to be on track. Off track on track its the worse for us and we all know it but somehow we just slip sometimes. Remembering whats important and that we need to do this not only to look good but for our health in the long run is thee most important thing here. So with that said I just measured my grapenuts, added a banana and a splash of milk took my meds and added in my womans vit. which I am trying to take daily. OFF to work again this a.m. need to get my reports written up for last months meetings. Next month I have 7 to schedule yuk..... Do to DH's hospital visit and then most likely surgery I am blocking them all in the first two weeks of the month again yukkkky!!! But they will be done. Then just need to write them up and put them together with everyone elses info. Talk to you all later and hope you have a super day.
Old 09-05-2007, 12:37 PM   #385  
Brit Chick

Judy - I hope your sinuses are getting better. I talked to a girlfriend yesterday who is a naturopathic doctor and she does a treatment for sinuses involving irrigating with a herbal mixture. It sounded a bit drastic and she said it is kind of "intense" but really works. I didn't want to risk doing it shortly before my trip in case it backfires and makes things worse, but I may give it a try in the future. I have a hard time doing the exercise bike too as it's really boring but I may try Marie's suggestion of a book on tape to make the time go by quicker.

Carol - Sounds like you are super busy at work. I hope things quiet down a bit for you. I hope your DH is ok and that the surgery goes well if it turns out he needs it. I often take 1/4 of a melatonin pill if I can't get to sleep. It doesn't make me feel groggy the next day. It sounds like you are making good food choices and staying on track.

Marie - I'm sorry to hear that your trip to La La Land was a bust. I'm so glad we moved up here to Portland. We lived there for 15 years and I can't imagine why we stayed so long - I hated the heat and the smog, which was bad even though we lived on the coast. That was a real rip off with the water for $4 - I guess you were at their mercy with that heat. It must be hard for you to get back on track while you are hurting so bad. I know you can do it as you've always been an inspiration to us all. I hope you'll soon feel lots better.

Nikki, Jennelle and Emma - I hope you're having a good day.

My group met yesterday and it was a very long meeting as we are starting to organize our fall fundraising activities. We had a potluck lunch and everything was healthy. Nobody brought any cakes or desserts except for a beautiful fruit platter with yogurt dipping sauce. I was dog tired when I got home as I'm still fighting off some kind of bug. Now I have to type up the report . I need to do it while I can still decipher my notes!

Last edited by penpal; 09-05-2007 at 12:39 PM.
Old 09-05-2007, 05:12 PM   #386  
Lifelong Journey Member

Happy afternoon to all!!! I had a good orthopedist appointment. It's the exercise doing my knee in. Apparently the ligament that holds the kneecap in place move a tad too much and all the WATP with the sidesteps aggravated the ligament. He said I was born with it as it's in both knees and just the left is bothered at the moment. No surgery (yeah!!!!). I was fitted for a brace for the exercise that bother me and for walking. the breaststroke is history as I can't afford 2 braces. I wore it for a while while I walked costco - it's not to be worn while sitting for any length of time. So at the moment it's in the car as I'm at work. Anyway, we talked about the wrist but didn't do anything about it (he was willing, I wasn't). All was good.

Penny, "intense" sounds painful. My sister has loads of sinus problems and I don't. I have allergies but never (knock on wood) have had a sinus infection. I remember once having pressure with a cold but that was it. I've also never had an ear infection. But by what my sister describes, the sinus stuff is horrible. Both you and Judy are in my thoughts.

Carol, sounds like you're a bit busy. Great job on measuring the food. You can't go offtrack doing that.

Now it's time to log my cals so far today.

Yesterday's stats: 980 cals (no that won't happen again) and I walked 1 mile on the treadmill. I'm going to post the cals and exercise again daily and then weekly post my challenge calorie average. My challenge is 1350 cals/day for all of Sept and October.
Marie
Old 09-06-2007, 07:01 AM   #387  
fIREFLY

Penny sounds like you girls have a good start on your fall activities. Being organized for events makes a world of difference in the outcome. I actually slept better last night and yesterdays cirop. appt. seemed to really help me. I had no discomfort last night. Hurray!!! I have another appt. on friday. Thank goodness for ins. I was doing quite well with my choices but had a girls night out last night. We had chinese buffet but other than a bit off course I stuck pretty much to the seafood shirmp etc. It was really good and only a little rice no pasta or sauces. So it could of been worse. I am trying again today to be good. I feel better lately with the healthier choices for the most part. I am trying to go off my med.s for trigcerides messed up that spelling as our ins. co pay is going way up for them. So I visited the natural food store and am trying cq10 and something red yeast rice etc... My brother said it works for him and its about half the cost of my reg. one. Its worth a try has anyone ever tried these?

Marie hows it going? Sounds like the doc knew what he was doing and I hope it all works out for you. Your a strong willed lady so I am sure it will sking is around the corner you need to be on the mend soon. I have been doing quite well on breakfast and lunch no snacking after 8. This is what I should of been doing all along. Have a good day.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:51 AM   #388  
fIREFLY

Well I stayed on tune with my cals for the day. Even added in some peanut mm's. But I took 10 and then shared the rest with my coworker. It was a nice treat. I seem to be a bit more in control and thats a good thing for me. I did have a BLT sandwich for dinner and some fresh corn. But the rest of my day was simple just grapenuts for breakfast, salad for lunch with a small bowl of chili, a little ice creamsicle for a snack last night and that was it. So the cals added up but not over my limit. A week or so ago I felt very bloated and uncomfortable now I FEEL much better so its good to be feeling this way. A coworkers wedding is Oct. 5th and I would like to be down a bit and meet my 4lb. goal I set for myself. Time will tell and all I can do is work on it. Hope your all doing well and feeling better. I go back to the chiro. today. The last visit was wed. I seem to be feeling more restful at night and not so achy. So I am hopeful that this is working for me. Well take care eat well , keep moving and if we keep trying and don't give up we will reach our goals!! My problem in the past is I get comfortable and then allow things to creep back into my intake thats a no no long term for a day or two it might be okay???
Old 09-07-2007, 11:31 AM   #389  
Brit Chick

Marie - I'm glad you were able to get some answers from your orthopedist. At least you know to avoid certain movements with WATP until your knee gets better. It sounds like you are feeling more motivated to stick to your plan. Way to go!

Carol - You are making some good food choices. I'm glad the chiropractor is helping with your bad back. I've heard good things about red rice yeast - at least it doesn't have some of the side effects of other meds. My DH and I take COQ10 every day - our naturopath said it's one of the best supplements to take for heart health. It's a bit expensive but we get ours from Costco.

I hope everyone else is doing well.

I have a slight cold and sore throat, which I hope won't get any worse and will clear up before my trip next Thursday. The good news is I'm down another .5 lb. to 186.5 .

Have a great weekend everyone!
Old 09-07-2007, 12:52 PM   #390  

Hi, all, I'll be leaving New Orleans in a few hours. I managed to only eat one pralline while I've been here, certainly a personal best and have made good choices, not many indulgences. Several people have mentioned that i look different, that my face is thinner or something, which is nice. I haven't worked out, though. We've been in meetings from sunup to late evening. I'm taking Zyrtec to help with my sinuses, and I think they are interfering with my sleep. So I've been physically sluggish, not even going out to to hear music....but a good, very prodcutive trip.

Time to check out of hotel and finish up the meetings, so personals tomorrow. Have a great weekend!

judy