Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: Calcium intake is extremely important. How much calcium do you get in an average day?
I know I get some, but how much, I haven't a clue! 14 60.87%
Less than 200 milligrams 0 0%
200-499 milligrams 1 4.35%
500-749 milligrams 1 4.35%
750-999 milligrams 1 4.35%
1,000-1,200 milligrams 2 8.70%
I'm a cow in disguise, just call me Elsie! I get a LOT of calcium! 1 4.35%
I take a calcium supplement and/or a multi-vitamin that gives me what I need daily. 3 13.04%
Voters: 23. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 05-31-2001, 07:26 AM   #61  

Default Meat in England

By the way to anyway coming this way!
Meat has always been safe to eat. Foot and Mouth doesn't make meat unsafe to eat; however, animals have been slaughtered so we're not eating it anyway. Most of the countryside has now been re-opened as cases diminish. Only Yorkshire is still closed. Come to Cornwall!! It's beautiful and F & M free!!!
Bye for now!
Snooks
Old 05-31-2001, 09:21 AM   #62  
Goddess

Default Good Thursday Morning!

Good morning everyone! I hope it is a good day for my fellow SBers.

I'm off to a meeting soon and to pack up my office at the university so this will be short. I just wanted to pop in and say hello. I don't know if I'll be able to get back on today.

I'm looking for a recipe (since it is recipe day). It is an old (very old) WW recipe--I think it was in one of their first cookbooks. It was for muffins and was made out of crushed up bread crumbs rather than flour. I loved those muffins. Every now and than I want a muffin, and all the ones I have made from scratch with SGWW have been so heavy you could use them for door stops. If anyone has an old WW cookbook, I'd sure appreciate it of you would look to see if that recipe is in there and post it if it is. I'm thinking this was from about 20-30 years agp (I mean really old!!!!).

I'm glad sparkle is back safe and sound, that Ross' treatment is over and Lisa's TOM showed up! Welcome Snooks--natural PB is just fine--just make sure no sugar has been added. Smuckers has a reduced fat brand in the stores over here thathas added sweetners. Their regular natural PB is only peanuts,salt and oil. Don't be fooled by the low fat claims.

Susan
300/244/150
July 10, 2000
Old 05-31-2001, 10:00 AM   #63  

Hello everyone .

It seems that you are all doing great and staying on Program. I have been on program for the most part. I have not lost any more weight.I have been 175 for 2 months , but that is okay. I would love to maintain that over the summer and then get the last 10 pounds off in September. My TOM is here and I am miserable. I suffer from them terribly. I had an Endometrial Ablation done in January to help with the heavy bleeding. It did not work so next week I see the doctor and we may talk about possible hysterectomy. Yikes I am 35 years old. Though I can not go on like this. Last night I wanted girl guide cookies so bad. I had some in the freezer.I took the box out and put it on the counter. I never opened them. I was really proud of myself. Though I have been eating more bread SB legal of course.

Anyway Congrats on all your weight losses. It seems that you have maintained even though some of you have had some awful things happen in your personal life.

Take care

190/175/165
Jan 1/2001
Old 05-31-2001, 10:46 AM   #64  
Wife, Mother, Goddess

Good Morning Gals!

Hope everyone is doing well!

I'm up 5 pounds from my all time low and need you gals to give me the boot camp, marine corps version pep talk to get me on track again. I was sooooo motivated and was doing sooooo well, and since that camping trip when I got off plan a smidgen, it's been down hill.

ldblond
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR MY GOODIE BAG!!!!
You are such a sweetheart!!!! For those of you who are wondering, Lara came over to my work on her lunch hour, brought me, cottage cheese, apples, SGWW crackers, cheese, evian water, and bath treats! What a friend! She knows I have been having a hard time keeping on plan!

Frog
Glad to hear your weight loss got noticed! That must be a big morale booster! Who's this Spewer chic??? At first I thought it was someone on board that I hadn't heard of before, but now I'm realizing this is your neighbor from ****? HOLY SMOKES!

Fillise
Thanks for sharing about your plateaus. It's good to pay attention to your body, that was you don't get so frustrated with things! That is so great you've lost 56 pounds. WOW, Double WOW!!!!

BOB
The cheese snacks sound good! My sister used to make something like that..she called it "Fried Cheese". There's a no-brainer! How did the ceremony go???
What are the "names" of some of these low carb stores? The desert seems to have pretty limited resources, except when it comes to Country Clubs, and golf courses and expensive restaurants! The area is growing, but the retail stores haven't caught up with the demand! There's some new things being built, but I wouldn't be suprised if it's more banks, and high end steak restaurants for all the wealthy to plunk their $$ in!

Gatorgal
I have a couple calorie books I could mail to you if you'd like. I don't use them anymore. If you want e.mail your address to my e.mail "[email protected]" and I square you away!

Lisa_A_A
YOU GO GIRL!!!! That is soooooo AWESOME
Congratulations being under 200!!!!!! You're in a whole new category now!!!!!

Quliter
Yoga sounds good, however I'd be like a weeble. Remember those toys "Weebles wabble, but they don't fall down". I'd be the exception to the case! We have a neat Yoga center next to a vegetarian restaurant called "Native Foods". I should check it out!

Sparklescamp
Glad your back! I was starting to get worried! I didn't get to hear about date "2". Glad to hear date 3 went well!

Well, need to get ready for work! Talk with you gals later!
Old 05-31-2001, 11:20 AM   #65  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Good Thursday Morning Everyone!

I wasn't able to get onto the board last night, actually, wasn't able to get on the board, period. Michael had a lot of homework and was up to all hours of the night-I went to sleep before 10pm. For those of you who have I/M'd me and got no response, just so you know I'm not being rude, when the kids are under my name, they won't answer-and you can assured if you get a automatic I/M back, that's means most definitely Michael is on my name, under AOL 6.0 - which I hate and never use! You'll have to excuse me if I'm not on as much as usual in the evenings during these last 2 weeks of school-Michael will be having a ton of work and that does take precedence.

Just got off the phone with my Mom, who is going to the hospital to fight with administration to get my Dad moved to a different hospital. My Dad's brother is an Internist and when he found out who his Dr. was and a procedure he wanted to do, well, lets just say he hit the roof. So, now my Mother has the task of trying to get through the bureaucracy of getting the ins. to pay for him to be moved and cared for at another hospital. He's doing fine, thank goodness, but will not be going home any time soon. I plan on going to see him before having to pick Michael up from school today.

Let's see, hmm, I can tell you that I hate my scale. It's almost mid-cycle for me and the scale isn't being nice-I'm up a pound from yesterday. I know this will go back down, but as always, I hate seeing the numbers go up. I also realized that since I began doing small bits of jogging in my walking that I've probably gained some muscles-all in my calf muscles, and maybe that's another reason I'm up, though I doubt I gained that much just in my legs, in such a short time. At least I have to look on the bright side, I haven't gone all the way back up to 135! I'm still hopeful I'll hit goal next month

After seeing the numbers on the scale and wondering why I get out there every day and exercise, I really didn't feel like going and let time slip by me until I finally decided to stop making excuses and get out there-did 3.5 miles, walking only, before having to come home and take Lauren to school.

TODAY IS RECIPE DAY so if you have any great SB LEGAL RECIPES you'd like to share with the board, please, try to post them today. I'll try, if time permits, to get a couple on there as well.

VIV, nice article-we have a celebrity on the board I didn't care too much of her insight on SB, but thought your input was good and gave some backbone to this WOE. She says she is going to try SB-are you going to guide her??? BTW, hope you are feeling better!!!

KAREN, CONGRATS on 2lbs gone!! Sick or no sick, you lost!! Take it and run. I'm sorry to hear about your FIL, my condolences to you and your family.

BEACH, thanks for the tip. The carpet's dry though, will it work on a stain that I've tried to remove already with the steamer???

NANCE, LOL, the only other time I was successful in losing weight WAS on the RS Deal-A-Meal. I was on the Sally Show with Richard about 5-6 years ago. Unfortunately, I hadn't realized I had an emotional eating problem, which is why I gained alot of the weight back-times got tough, and for me, when the going got tough, the tough went eating! Beat me for suggesting those Droste! If chocolate is a trigger food for you, it's best to stay far away from it until near maintenance. So, Dan is going to do SB with you???? What a guy!!!

FROG, glad to hear you had a good time with your family, they really are proud of you it seems. I can totally relate with your Mother-I was an emotional eater as well and did many of the same things when it came to buying food. If only we could detox people for a few weeks, they would see what these refined foods really do to not only their bodies, but their minds. That's nice that your Father wants to help her, but ultimately, it has to be her decision to take the bull by the horns and do something. Same thing I am going through with my 13 year old daughter at this time. Nothing I say helps-it has to be up to her. My Mom said she went through the same thing with me! I'm happy you and FILLISE got to meet, and I'll look forward to seeing whatever pics were taken up on the board!! As for parents, no, they are home, thankgoodness. They were up in Hendersonville at my Grandparent's "Mountain House" (trailer-they have a home here in Miami). They went to Atlanta for the weekend and came home Sunday night-this all happened Monday morning, thankfully, here in Miaimi. Heck, I better NOT plateau here at this weight-I better get into the 120's-and soon!!!!

FILLISE, CONGRATS! That's a great loss this week, and 56 pounds overall so far is awesome! You may want to go to the WW board and ask anyone over there if they have the old book, or the recipe. I wasn't able to find anything on the web.

AMSER, how I can relate to the love/hate relationship you are having with the scale! Just know, if you are being true to plan, and you can be patient, the scale will go down PERMANENTLY! I've always been totally honsest with the board and even though I don't like having to post my ups and downs on the scale, I do so so others can see that this is normal, even when one doesn't cheat and exercises. You'd think that I'd have a loss each week, but it just doesn't work that way. When May started, I weighed exactly what I do at the end of May. Mind you, in this period of time, I've walked well over 100 miles and stayed OP. I've weighed the same weight back in March! Without this board, I really don't know how I would of handled all of this! BUT, it helps me continue on, and keep things in proper perspective. I'm sure you'll be fine-just don't be a stranger during these tough times!!!!

SNOOKS, glad you joined us on the weekly board As you have heard from others, yes, cream cheese is fine-though I do suggest the light cream cheese with 1/3 less fat over the full fat one if it's available there. I personally like feta cheese, and for sandwiches any light cheddar is good. If you have Laughing Cow in the UK, they make a Light Cheese in wedges, those too are good. The PB is easy to make-if you have a food processor-it's a wiz!

ICESKATE, nah, probably my lungs are blackening with being among the car soot (no smoke soot here now) when I walk, but oh well, I'm not ready to walk outside with a mask just yet. I see SPARKLE posted!

CHERI, CONGRATS on your loss and the NEW LOW!!!

LISA, DOUBLE CONGRATS!!! Thank goodness your TOM arrived and down 3lbs - UNDER 200! A definite reason to celebrate!! You must be feeling wonderful! Glad to hear all went well with Ross' procedure

QUILTER, you had me laughing. I didn't even realize about having a little SPEWER in my house. FROG could of given me some tips! Thanks for those spewing carpet recommendations! Good luck with your speech today-I'm sure you'll shine!

GATOR, I write everything down more than use fitday.com-there are 2 sites I use that are on the TIPS & TOOLS BOARD.

SPARKLE, so there you are! CONGRATS on your loss and the new low!! Forgive me for not sending out that letter yet-bear with me, things have been hectic! Sounds like you have had another nice date with this guy. How old is he and what does he do? Is he cute? Do I sound like a nosey Mother?? That's great you are getting things done and taking time to do what you want-check in whenever you are able-we love hearing from you!!!

GARDEN GIRL, don't worry, I too have been about the same weight for over 2 months now. Today I am 133, and I hit 133 back on 3/24/00-I'm just going with the flow, not much else I can do-I'm eating right and exercising-only thing I can think of would be to cut the fat off! Kudos for just looking at those cookies!

BOB, sounds like you are having a fun time shopping! What else have you been up to doing?? Did you find the Carbolite soft serve?? I've seen those tubes of paste-let me know how they are!! Be careful coming home-I'm sure you heard about that pile up on I-4 a few days ago, so just take it easy on the way back. Let Skeeter drive if you get tired!!!!

Well, I guess it's time for me to finally hit the road, I started this post before 10am and it's almost 11:30 now! I'll try to check in later if the computer is free.

Have a wonderful day!

Debbie
194/133/129
SB since 3/22/00
Old 05-31-2001, 12:35 PM   #66  
Little Engine That Could

Default Deb--I need the URL for Tips and tools

The tips and tool board doesn't show up for me any more. It must have been a while since it has been posted to. Deb, do you have the URL for it. I'd like to follow up on the sites mentioned there for calorie counting.
Old 05-31-2001, 04:11 PM   #67  

Smile Hi Everyone!!

Just a quick hello to all of you gals. Yes, I have the Holiday jitters with trying to get everything done before we leave in am. Sooooo much to do.

Debbie Yes, I am a procrastinator also. I need to iron, pack, etc. Glad to hear that your dad is doing ok. Where abouts in Orlando would I be able to find the Agave Nectar? Do you know? Hoping to find some SB legal stuff in New Smyrna. Am bringing a few things with us from home. Oh, BTW, have you tried the SB, Authors' Choice Multi Grain Bread?? It is WONDERFUL! I tasted it as we left the store & DH was afraid I'd eat the whole loaf before we got home with it... Didn't make my goal, still at 151, a single lb away from goal. But that's ok cause I feel good about my accomplishment & setting a new goal of 140. I think that's where I want to be.

Rosalie how about you? You packed & ready to go?? Hope you gave a great Holiday!!

GatorGal do you think you will join SolShine & I for a get-together next week? I hope so. Would love to meet both of you.

SolShine, I got a library card today & hopefully I can get to a computer at the library in New Smyrna on Monday. If not, I will give you a call to discuss final plans. So sweet of you to try to arrange this meeting. DH thought it was a good idea too.

VIV Great article!! Proud of you girl!

OK ya'll, I will hopefully check back before I go to bed tonight. Hope all of you are doing ok. See ya !!

Last edited by Melf; 05-31-2001 at 04:14 PM.
Old 05-31-2001, 06:40 PM   #68  

Default VERY UPSET!

I have not posted in a while but of course I am always lurking. There are so many new people. We have lost so many people and that is frustrating.
I have been sitting at 180 to 186 for about 3 months. My meds really play havoc with my system but that is ok. I sat at 320 for years and 225 for years so this is great for me. It will start again I am sure.
Those of you that are here please stick with the program. For those of you who do not know me I do WW and SB. Also for those of you do not know me it has been said I am the sergeant at arms. I have something to complain about -- you may take it for what it is worth.
This board is to help everyone -- to support one another - to give one another ideas - recipes, etc. Yes we get involved in one anothers lifes in regards to our families.
I was very displeased and disgusted with Frog Lover's post from the other day. We do not need to be talking about such things on this board. So she is having problems with this particular person -- please keep them to yourself. I have been on this board for over a year and not once has there been anything sexual mentioned. It shocked me. I see where some of you have chosen not to say anything. I am not that way. So take it for what it is worth.
I hope to see that kind of discussion stopped and never mentioned again.
Thanks for listening and continued success to all of you through your trials and tribulations.
Barbara
225/180/165
Florida
Old 05-31-2001, 07:23 PM   #69  
Little Engine That Could

Melf--If I can I will join you. I’ll let Solshine fill me in on the details. It would be fun to get together. SolShine, let me know the plans when they come together, please.

SolShine--I met your DH in person (!) today at Fitness Coach. He was just finishing a work out and then Jim was showing him how to do the spinning bikes. Up, down, up, down, as he pedelled. Ugh. I really don’t like the cycling. But he looked like he was really into it. Jim will give him a really hard spinning workout if he can get in one of his classes. I tried it once. I used the mike that Jim was using to coach him and introduced myself as GatorGal. I presume he knew who that was.

Gonna play tennis tonight, and am really happy about that. Gotta go.

BTW, Barb. A little sugar with your suggestion would have made it just a bit "nicer." A gentle reminder is enough for us here because we all--Frog included--are great gals who don't intentionally set out to step on anyone's toes.
Old 05-31-2001, 08:42 PM   #70  

Default TO Barbara!!!

For someone who only lurks rather than reads and posts on a regular basis, I am deeply disturbed that you chose to go for the throat. I have shared many interesting things about the people in my life, including this woman, and people on this board have asked me for more info about this person. Perhaps if you took the time to read posts more often you would have known that.

I am very angry and for the first time since starting this board in October don't know if I want to continue. You have alot of nerve lady!!!! Regardless of whether or not you refer to yourself as the "sargeant-at-arms around here" does not give you the right to tell me what I can and can't post. I suggest that if you don't like what I have to say that you skip the messages with my name next to them.

I too am outspoken.

You truly are sugar-free.

Frog

Last edited by Frog Lover; 05-31-2001 at 09:21 PM.
Old 05-31-2001, 08:57 PM   #71  

To all of you who've gotten to know me here:

I am taking a very long break from this board. I am sitting here in tears and am so hurt and disgusted at what has transpired today. I was preparing pictures to post, because I enjoy sharing with all of you, when I read Barbara's vile comments followed by an email from Deb.

This is a very difficult thing for me to do and I am saddened at the thought of removing myself from such a valuable support system. But if I wanted to be mistreated, it won't be by people who don't even know me.

I have deleted the email that some of you found offensive. My sincerest apologies to those of you who were offended and graciously opted to keep it to yourself. To those of you who found my posts interesting and entertaining, thank you for your comments.

Good Luck, Adieu and Peace,

Frog
Old 05-31-2001, 09:49 PM   #72  
Little Engine That Could

Default OK, Time Out Everybuddy.

Big Orange, where are you when we need you!!!
You could bring some sanity to this unfortunate state of affairs. Come on home, girl.

Frog--Please don't react so hastily. Please. It makes us all sad. To leave this board because of Barbee's comments is allowing those remarks to control you, and that is not good. Think of Sparkle and her last post. She presented such a great picture of self-control and resolve, and took responsiblity for her own actions. Don't let someone else's actions direct what you do. Just let those words, that we know hurt, pass on by and continue on as a contributor. I, for one, have been inspired by your success with losing weight and it has spurred me to keep on keeping on.

To all SBers who post: Please take this to heart--
"Consider the interests of others more important than your own."
If you do, it will affect words you use to post and it will help you give grace to those who may not write exactly what you might write. And it will help you give grace to those who may react with an overly strong post. None of us is perfect, so let's try to use kindness and patience when we "get together" on this board.

Nuff said!

Debelli--Someone was kind enough to go to the Tips and Tools board and bring it up to the top of the list, so now I have it. Thanks. I think I'll need to redo some of my settings so I won't lose things like that. Although I could have just gone to your welcome message at the beginning of every week.

We had a big thunderstorm--lightening but no rain. So my tennis was thundered out!
Old 05-31-2001, 10:20 PM   #73  
karen3000

Please, don't ANYONE leave the board. You all have become friends, and friends learn to communicate with each other through trial and error. We now know that some may take offense at certain subjects. These subjects were not brought up to intentionally upset anyone. Let's ALL go on from here with the understanding that there are things that are best not submitted for the board at large.

I agree with everything that Gator Gal said, and she said it so much better than I could.

We leave early Fri. morning for the funeral and I won't be able to read or post until sometime Sunday. Have a great weekend and let's all do our best to stay SB legal so we can kick that one-eyed monster next Wed.

Karen

Old 05-31-2001, 11:11 PM   #74  

Default On a different note......

I just wanted to get a few words posted now to those of you that are traveling in the next few days. Karen, you and your family have a safe trip. Despite it beening under those circumstances, I sincerely pray that your husband and the rest of you will feel the love and comfort from those that will be surrounding you. Mary, and Marie both of you have a WONDERFUL vacation!!!! You both should be proud of yourselves for your dedication to this WOE....so kick back, relax and enjoy yourselves. All of you come back safe and sound and fill all of us in on all that you experienced on your trips. Oh, some advice for Mary and Marie..."If you can't be good, be good at it"!!!!!!! Take that however you want.

Debbie - I am going to work harder at posting during these off times I go thru. You may wish you hadn't advised it So far this week, I am feeling pretty up with things. I can not promise I can be 100% OP 100% of the time. Those times when I am not 100%, due to either my choice, or times I am in a compromising situation, I tell myself that that's the price I pay when the scale shows the results of my choices... Geeeesh, am I making sense??? Over all, I can sit here now going on 5 months and say I am feeling pretty darn good about myself. I am striving hard to take better care of myself nutritionally AND physically.

I will be busy tomorrow helping my dad move my grandmother's belongings into a retirement home. I amy not post tomorrow, but I will read the board when I get a chance. Everyone have a good night, and remember that tomorrow is TGIF!!!!!!! That means 2 wonderful days with my DH..woohhhhoooo!!!!!
Old 06-01-2001, 12:42 AM   #75  
sef

I don't know where the time goes! I just know it goes w/o me! The past two days have flown by.

I volunteer 2 mornings a week at a NH. I do a Newspaper Group and a Reminiscence Group. I really enjoy them and it keeps my hand in. I was a Director of Recreational Therapy for 20 years working with geriactrics and head head trauma populations. I miss it.

Then there is choir practice on Wed. night and I also had to go shopping. I am NOT a shopper. You go in and get out! Unless it is an A.C. Moore or Micheals store.

I had gained a couple of pounds and they were staying with me. I am pleased to say that yesterday the scale showed the beginning of what I hope will be a downward trend!

I figured out I was cutting back on the carbs and protein too much. I thought I would do better with less but it apparently doesn't work that way for me!

Will try to catch up w/ a few thoughts......

TIGGERME - I know what you mean about stripping for the scale. The nurse at my dr office weighs you in hall on way to exam room. I want to kick off shoes, empty pockets......I would do a Gypsy Rose Lee if I could get away w/ it!

CATLOVER - Glad you had a safe trip. It is a long day isn't it? My daughter was born w/ mouth deformities and we had a regular 3 hr run one way for treatments. I hope all will be well for Ross.

ICESKATEFAN - Small world department. Living so close and having taught in Slidell. I also am a ice skate fan. I never miss watching, although I do not skate myself.

SNOOKS - I use the neufchatel cream cheese by Philadelphia. As someone else mentioned I like it on celery sticks, crackers and I also like it on pieces of pepper.

THE QUILTER - Thanx for the compliments. I try to keep a sense of humor about myself.

I forget who mentioned yoga. I don't like exercise groups. I feel too self conscious looking the way I do. Although I did go regularly to a water aerobics class called the "Rusty Hinges", you know there were no bathing beauty figures there.

One time I did go to an execise group. Now I don't like to cry uncle and will go til I drop. I was doing my best to keep up w/ group. No A/C in this place and it was hot. I finally collapsed, panting like an old wart hog looking for something good. I was so embarrassed. everyone was so concerned and there I laid like a beached whale, too big to be pushed back into the ocean. I've never been to an exercise class since!! I know I am a coward, but...................

Bored enough. Goodnight all.
Closed Thread