Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

Closed Thread

Old 02-02-2001, 09:35 PM   #91  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

GOOD FRIDAY MORNING EVERYONE!

Not much time to post, have quite a bit to get done today before we go tomorrow. Got 5 miles in this morning giving me 23 miles for the week, which I'm please with. Scale is still up but hope that by the time I get home and WI on Monday it will be down, as I know this is just hormonal!

My friend Sharon started SB a few weeks ago. Though, she didn't weigh herself at the beginning, she was happy to report that she's lost 7lbs this past week-where she use to say I was obsesssed with this WOE, well, now she is doing the same!

KAPOLA, glad to hear you had a good day yesterday! Doesn't it make you feel great!!! What does your hubby do, and are you happy this job is permanent?? Wasn't sure from your post.

CATHY, don't worry about that 2lb gain, if you are following the WOE, you know it's not fat - like BEACHFAN & I, blame it on hormones! I can go up 4lbs easily during those times-of-the-month, it will go back down. As discouraging as the scale look when you see a gain, just know, be patient and it will go back down!!! In the SB book it says you can eat 2 pieces of bread when trying to lose, 3 when on maintaince. Too much cheese may be a problem, but a few ounces a day isn't too much, I usually have 2, maybe 3 ounces every day. Usually it's a low-fat cheese. I stopped drinking soda and Crystal Light back in June, the aspertame was effecting me, mind wise! Drinking enough water really does help with the weight loss. Again, don't worry about the 2lbs, it's just temporary.

DONNA, I have the Glucose Revolutions GI listed on a site on the TIPS & TOOLS BOARD as well, and it is a good one. Rick Mendosa likes their SUGIR info better than the GRI. I am almost finished reading the Glucose Revolution - what are your opinions about it and the differences they have from some of those in SB??

JOY, thanks for posting your recipe. That's basically how I do the spinach as well-to eat like that or put into the WW lasagna we (actually, Sharon) makes - YUMMY! You can find those books at http://www.glycemic.com/. I've known about them for a long time, but didn't want to order them, as when I asked some questions about the books, they would never answer me. I am eager to check out BIGORANGE'S copies and then deem if I want to spend the money on them. I'm loving fitday as well. How about I hide the scale for 2 days?? A week, no way!!!

RHROO, good luck back at work tonight! That's a late shift you work. I'm sure people will be surprised when they see you've lost, 56lbs can't go unnoticed! Okay, maybe it can if you wear big clothes like I do-so wear something slimming!!

CYN, even when you don't have anything much to say, it's always nice to come on the board and do a quick hello!! Seems SB is doing well not only for you but Dan's parents as well - Dan will probably join the bandwagon in the future!!!

FROG, thanks for the shoe article - have to get some time and really read it. I know I don't wear the correct shoes. I wear boys black hightops-not for walking, that's for sure!!!

MELF, I've used Brummel & Brown in the past, so I think there isn't anything in there that's not SB legal. I stopped using it and switched back to butter, as I use so very little of it. So, enjoy! Try to eat a 1/2 cup Fiber One, it has 14grams of fiber. Water is also important. Berries are a good source of fiber as well. BEANS!

BEACH, sorry to hear the kids are sick. I know this is not your idea of a true day off. I can't believe you're at 137 - WOW!!!! Congrats!! Feel free to send the picture over, I'll be happy to post it for you!!

Really gotta run - will check in later this evening sometime!!

Have a wonderful day!!!

Debbie
194/140.5/129

Old 02-02-2001, 09:39 PM   #92  
viv

Hello SB-ers!

I'm running off to my Wild Oats field trip but wanted to post a quick good morning - I'll get more time to read all those posts later on when DS's get their Friday night movie...

BUT I wanted to say - I can't believe how active and committed this board is! You guys are an inspiration! Thanks!

And...I picked up Sugar Bust for Life cookbook at Borders yest...then found it and the first on on Half.com for less than the price of one new, including shipping! Anyone use these books yet? They seemed quite supportive of the program, and I am a recipe junkie!

And....I emailed this to Debbie...I had a quick DR's appt yesterday and on the way there it struck me that both times I was pregnant I developed gestational diabetes (with a 60 lb weight gain each time)...It struck me...could this have something to do with my struggle to lose weight the traditional (WW) way? It was just a thread of a thought. I asked the Doctor (not my regular Doctor, actually I don't like this Doctor at all, major attitude)...he looked at me like I was, as my son Harrison says, a MAJOR doofus and said "Of course, you are predisposed to that". Like, Duh, you stupid bimbo! So maybe this is the key to my weight loss challenge???

As my friend said to me when I told her this - I've had an "epiphany". LOL. Let's hope so!

More later - have agreat day and I'm off to spend $$ - hope I can resist the sushi, tho......

Viv
146/144/128
Old 02-02-2001, 10:12 PM   #93  

I have a quick question. My current soy milk has less sugar and carbs than 1%. Can I use it? thanks, Finally
Old 02-02-2001, 10:20 PM   #94  

Good morning! Not much to report. I too, love Fitday. I think it's pretty empowering to be able to see and analyze exactly what you're eating! I just started it and hopefully next time I get on the scale I can move my weight down that little chart. Had two beers yesterday with friends after school. Miller Lite was on special and that's what I had since it only has three carbs. I'm going to workout extra today, though.
I have a big question: Why is Sourdough legal???? I'd love it if it were as it is by far my favorite non-brown bread.
Going to the store today, again, another empowering activity. I look at every single label and it takes me so long to shop! I also look into other people's carts. It makes me so sad sometimes, what I see - pop tarts, cokes, white bread, cookies. I know it's for kids but that's what makes it even sadder. My mom was pretty anti-sugar when I was young - no sodas, no white bread, no sugary cereals...except for baking. Brownies, especially. That's it, it's all my mom's fault! No, she's lost on SB too, and now it's MY TURN!!! Have a great FRIDAY everyone!!!
Old 02-03-2001, 12:08 AM   #95  

GOOD NEWS LADIES!!!!!!

The 7 MONTH plateau that I have been on is FINALLY been broken!!!! YEEEEE - HAAAAA! On the scale at work (a.k.a. the gym that I work at) I went from 150 # - 145# and at the scale at home I am down 146-144. I am SOOOO happy!

A little history of you that are new to my “saga” I lost 20 pounds on Sugar Busters on the last spring/summer. And then…..I started reading too many diet books and started to get overwhelmed. I was trying to do about 400 diets at once and got so overwhelmed that I gave up. (which is when I left the board for a while too) I started cheating and stopped losing for 7 months. Well now (as I said in my last post) I am committed to stopping the cheating and rewarding myself once a month with a “free” day. AND IT IS WORKING!!!! I also was measured at work and I lost 4 inches too!!!! I lost a full inch in my waist. Since I started working at the gym I have lost a total of 12.5 inches.  I am on my way ladies!

Thanks for all being here to share the triumph!

Now I m going to go to the bio board and read about all you ladies that are new to me!

See you all on the board!

Songbird
162/145/125 (not to far away!)
Old 02-03-2001, 12:13 AM   #96  

P.S. What is Fitday?
Old 02-03-2001, 01:31 AM   #97  
viv

Well, just found out that I'm going out with the girls tonite so I thought Id grab a minute to post - Fridays are my only day off (weekends don't seem like weekends anymore, LOL), so I love my solitude.... I don't even answer the phone, which really annoys my friends!

We finally got a new computer at home - my 10 yo DS is thrilled because he has now "arrived" - he gets the old one in his room. This keyboard is a little different, tho....so parden the typos

I went to Wild Oats this morning...fairly successful but - no Uncle Sam cereal, or Ezekiel bread (sp?), orStevia....I did find some low carb protein bars...I like to keep something like this in the car, just in case.. They're Biochem Ultimate Lo Carb Bars, they use stevia and cocoa powder among the many (scary) ingredients, total carb: 2g, total sugars: 1g. Anyone heard of them - they probably taste terrible...

I wonder if I overdid it on lunch...munched a few cashews - was able to pass by the sushi (MAJOR accomplishment :eek , got a smoothie (berries and organic OJ, no sugar added - is that OK?) then got a salad for at home - 1/2 lb chicken curry salad (picked out all the raisins, it was delicious - no added sugar, did use mayo, so possibly sugar in the mayo?) and a big salad with a bit of shredded cheese and tons of veggies. Used 1 tb of the salad bar organic caesar, which could have had some sugar in it, couldn't find the ingredients. I'm rather full now, but it was good....any comments? I've got to learn how to eat out on this plan so it's second nature...

Songbird - YES on the plateau break! I was on an eternal plateau with WW, drove me crazy, and I hope these 2 lbs are a sign of good things to come. I understand how frustrated you must have been, good for you to have stuck with it!!

Melf - I'm interested in the info on those Bummel & Brown spreads too. Ilike the plain butter also - my kids like the spreads.

The cat just walked across thekeyboard, cracks me up...

Belinda - can't read my scribbled down notes to you, LOL...oh yeah, I wonder aobut sourdough too, interested in the answer. Altho I think for now I should stay away from breads like that...LOL about the shopping carts, DH always gets so annoyed at me makingfaces into people's carts when they are filled with all that garbage! I do buy some "junk" for the kids, I think they'd run away from home if I didn't....

Frog - so what do you think of the new Survivor? My kids love it...congrats on the pants! That's the best feeling!

Debi - my cousin lives in Portland, I thought it was sooooooooooo laid back that there was never any traffic!

Debbie - glad you got your foot problems attended to - that must hurt!

Cathy H - check the Crystal lite can - I have some store brand here that has 4g of sugar per serving, so I guess it's a nono....

One more questions - where do beans really fall into this? ARe they considered a true lean protein or are they sometimes considered a starchy food?

Viv
146/144/128

Old 02-03-2001, 02:05 AM   #98  

Newbie question :confused: I was given some whole wheat tortillas. The ingredient list says 100% whole wheat flour, canola oil, salt, baking powder. There are 28 carbs! per tortilla. I think that is really high. Would these tortillas be allowed in sugar busters. Also, are canned refried beans allowed. My books still have not come, so I am having to ask you guys. Thanks, Debi
Old 02-03-2001, 03:33 AM   #99  

Hey everyone...since I am home today I thought I would try and answer some of the questions on the board.

Song: Congrats on the breakthrough. You're going to be at goal before you know it!
Fitday is www.fitday.com it is a tracking website for calories, nutrition, and other things. I don't know if you remember but I use www.dietwatch.com and love it. Since I had been using dietwatch and had info since last september on there...I didn't change over when other on the board did. The good thing about fitday is you can let others on the board critique your food.

Answering the sourdough question: There is something in the process of making it sourdough that lowers the GI. There was a lengthy answer from the GI institute on a previous weeks post...but the bottom line is it is ok.

Answering the qeustions about carbohydrates. Look on the tips and tools board and you will see the % of carbs you are allowed in a day. On this WOE I never counted carbs but made sure that the sugar was not higher than 3g. So if the tortillas have less than 3g of sugar they should be fine.

Old 02-03-2001, 04:11 AM   #100  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Afternoon Everyone!

Figured I better get in a post before there are too many to respond to and it gets too late for me to do it. Afterwards, I'm going to start my baking of the Zuchinni Loaf Cake to take up with me tomorrow. Quiche came out great, I doubled the recipe so I could keep one here and had a piece for lunch. YUMMY.

NEWBIES Please do check out the informative boards we have (all links are in the very first post at the top of the first page). Many of the questions you have asked are already posted there - you'll find lots of good and useful info, and we add to it all the time.

VIV, sorry you weren't able to find the bread and Uncle Sams at WO. I was there today as well, and the one I go to isn't well managed and seems to always be out of items that I go there specifically for, which annoys me. Did you look for the EZEKIEL in the frozen food area?? That's where they keep it in the one I shop at. It has to be refrigerated/frozen. I would probably tell you to try and stay away from the smoothie-better to eat the fruits. An ounce of cashews is fine. I would tend to say that with a large salad, I'd probably only of had 4ounces of the chicken salad. You need to try and keep track of your daily intake, at least for a day or two just to see what you are taking in.

EBABE, the tortillas I get have 25 carbs and are about 8 1/2" in diameter. They have 5 grams of fiber in them. They are also fat free, so no oils. The ones you have sound okay. Find FF Refried Beans, they are delicious! I make bean burritos with low fat cheese, refried beans, lettuce, tomato, onions, yogurt cheese (in place of sour cream) and hot sauce from Taco Bell - yummy!!!

FINALLY, sounds like that soy is fine - enjoy!

BELINDA, go to the FOOD INFORMATION BOARD. Rosalie posted info on there that explains why sourdough is okay. I too take forever to go shopping, it's always a learning experience. I read EVERYTHING if I haven't bought it before.

SONGBIRD, that's wonderful the scale went down. Congrats! Your doing really well. Lots of inches gone off your little bod too!!! Fitday is a site that allows you to log your foods, exercise, journal, etc. It's wonderful and I thank OVERCOME for letting us know about it. Check it out at www.fitday.com

Time for me to go bake - I'll check in later tonight!

Debbie
194/140.5/129

Old 02-03-2001, 04:32 AM   #101  

Hi everyone

I've been trying to keep up reading the board even though I have not posted lately.

Dh is still in the hospital. He is fairly stable at the moment although he still is not taking any food by mouth - he is being fed by stomach tube. He probably will be transferred to a long term care facility soon. I would love to have him home again but he is now too difficult to take care of as he is unable to walk and can barely stand so it takes two persons to transfer him from bed to chair etc.

I can't respond to you all at this time but would like to welcome all the newbies. It is good to see so many new gals on the board.

Debbie, Gator, Big Orange I hope you all have a wonderful weekend together.

Debbie, I at last got to see the movie Billy Elliot. I thought it was a good movie. I really enjoyed it. The young girl, the daughter of the dance instructor, I think she was quite a character. Sorry to hear about your foot problems. I've had painful feet and it sure is not fun. Since I got my last orthotics they have improved and have been fine for a year or so. But I am very careful what shoes I wear. I hope you are enjoying reading The Glucose Revolution. I think it is a good source of information on the glycemic index - after all it is written by the authors that produced the GI Tables. I like to use it as a resource book although I would not follow their suggestions for losing weight as they recommend too many starchy carbs and if I remember correctly low fat meals. There are quite a few good recipes in the back of the book. I have made the beef and lentil patties which are good in pita bread or on a tortilla. I've also made the vegetarian lasagne which turned out good. You might be interested to read what they have to say about carrots. They consider carrots a free food for diabetics as they are so low in carbohydrates (6gms per 1/2 cup serving). I think it is odd that in the book they are listed with a gi of 49 but in SB they are given a gi of 80+. Sorry I haven't answered your e-mails yet but I hope to get to it soon.

Songbird, congratulations on breaking that plateau. I am glad to see you back posting again. I don't think "cheating" once a month should be a problem. We all need a treat once in a while and if this enables you/us to stick to this woe the rest of the time I'm all for it.

Ebabe, I don't think the amount of carbs in the tortillas would be a problem - the ones I use have 30 gms of carbs which is less than two slices of SGWW bread which has 36 gm - but it would be better if you could find some that are made with Stone Ground Whole Wheat flour. The regular whole wheat flour is more refined than the SGWW so would have a higher gi.

Viv, I don't think of beans as a starchy carb. I would consider them a lean protein. They are a good item to include in your meal plan as they are mainly low gi and full of fibre and a good source of protein. Montignac in his book suggests having meals with beans/lentils in place of meat several times a week would encourage weight loss.

I'm still stuck at 206 lbs. First hit this weight on Jan 17th after being stuck at 209 for about a month. I am losing VERY, VERY slowly. At least I am not gaining. Still get comments when I go to work. Everyone's quite impressed that I lost and never gained any back. So it's a good feeling to hear all the compliments. I've lost a total of 29 lbs but it has taken me over a year. I lose a little then just maintain for a while.

Frog, that was a great article about footwear. I think it is well worth the effort and cost to find shoes that are suitable and comfortable. As you say we only have one pair of feet to last us a lifetime. I think the kids to-day are lucky that they can wear shoes that are fashionable and comfortable. In my younger days the fashionable shoes were not very kind to the feet!

Belinda and Viv, there is an article about sourdough bread on the FOOD INFORMATION BOARD. It was posted on the 14th January. The article is headed "POWERFUL EFFECTS OF ACID ON G.I. etc. You might like to check it out.

Well it's time to think about getting some food on the table.

Have a good weekend everyone.

Marie
Old 02-03-2001, 05:35 AM   #102  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

EVENING EVERYONE,

Just a quick note to check in with everyone!

Rosalie, glad to hear that your husband has stablized. It will be better for you in the long run for him to "recupe" somewhere other than home. I know it's hard to not have him there, but you will need all your strength when he does come home. Just don't let yourself get run down from all the running back and forth. It's easy to do. My mother was in the hospital last year for 38 days, and believe me, when she came home she felt great.....I WAS WORN OUT!!!!

The weather is getting crazy again here on the WEST COAST OF FLA...the temp has dropped and it will be 48 degrees in the morning when I start out for GATOR's...I talked to Deb a while ago and she's glad it's going to be cooler...I myself like the cool weather, but it has been just too darn cold here this winter for my liking. I'm not one to get chilled, but I'VE BEEN DOWN RIGHT COLD TO THE BONE!! I like it in the low 60's....
Orlando can be either the hotest place in the world, or the coldest...I just hope we hit a happy medium....

Sounds like everyone had a good day. BEACH,
I know you were glad to be home, but I'm sorry the "kiddos" were sick..My four legged "kiddo" had a bad allergy attack the other day and the trip to the VET was costly.
Skeeter is feeling much better though. They tested him for thyroid problems but found none (thank goodness), said he was just a FAT BOY!!! He's a standard size weiner dog, but weighs 33lbs!

Hope everyone has a good weekend...I know I'm going to enjoy mine!! Better get those panties packed...
Old 02-03-2001, 05:50 AM   #103  

Hey Everyone!!!.....Been out of town for the last week so I'm trying to catch up with all the posts. I typed this real long reply last saturday just before we left and got disconnected with about two sentences left. I was so MAD!!!! Didn't have time to re-post. Lots of new folks, happy to have you all....I'm pretty new too, just trying to keep up with these gals....they are wonderful!!!

Haven't weighed myself this week so I don't know if I've actually lost anything but I'm feeling pretty good....I'll take it.

Hope you guys have a great time this weekend. We'll be waiting to hear about it.

Frog - Thanks again for another great Fitness Friday article.

I read something about "Survivor" in one of the posts....I too am a "Survivor" devotee....don't really know why, but they have sucked me in.

Talk to you guys tomorrow.....Sharon
Old 02-03-2001, 06:29 AM   #104  

Hi All

I'm having a good day! My eating is under control, and I've not had one piece of junk food today ) Let me know what you think about what I've eaten today... Here goes: coffee, apple, broccoli, 2 string cheese, beef jerky, Roast beef, cauliflower, 2 slices provolone, and 2 cups green tea!

Have I done Okay? I'm just getting started here day 6 and feeling great!

Have a super friday evening. Now its off to tidy up the house )

Old 02-03-2001, 07:20 AM   #105  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

IT's ME AGAIN

I was just lurking over at the LOW CARB board, and they have a real humdinger heating up!

Some of them of doing what some of us are, using both WW & SB...Evidently, someone who isn't a regular really BLASTED them about it.
To make a long story short in a few of their posts, they included us as being a LOW CARB DIET....I sent them a post and told them what we were told. IT'S OUR THREAD AND WE DO WHAT WORKS>...I was polite, and told them that we weren't a LCD because we eat bread,cereal and fruit to name a few.
I did invite them to come over and visit.
SO, they may come, or they may not...It just really got me how someone came into THEIR SPACE on the board and blasted them like that.

Just another reason for us to count our blessings that we don't have problems like that here. THANK YOU SUPER CHICK FOR MAKING OUR LITTLE PIECE OF THE BOARD SO NICE!!!
Closed Thread