Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: From the list below, what seems to trigger you to eat off plan the most?
When I am happy 1 4.17%
When I am sad 1 4.17%
When I am stressed 8 33.33%
When I am angry 2 8.33%
When I am hungry 3 12.50%
When I am tired 0 0%
When I am bored 2 8.33%
When my hormones are raging 2 8.33%
I don't eat off plan, for any reason. 1 4.17%
Other reason 4 16.67%
Voters: 24. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-22-2001, 04:43 PM   #16  
Little Engine That Could

Here is my contribution to MM from a book that I am presently reading. It is called "Soul Survivor: How my Faith Survived the Church" by Philip Yancey.

" . . .I came to see sex, money, power, and sensory pleasures as God's good gifts. Every Sunday I can turn on the radio or television and hear preachers decry the drugs, sexual looseness, greed, and crime that are 'running rampant' in the streets of America. Rather than merely wag our fingers at such obvious abuses of God's good gifts, perhaps we should demonstrate to the world where good gifts actually come from, and why they are good. Evil's greatest triumph may be its success in portraying religion as an enemy of pleasure when, in fact, religion accounts for its source: every good and enjoyable thing is the invention of a Creator who lavished gifts on the world.
Of course, in a world estranged from God, even good things must be handled with care, like explosives. We have lost the untainted innocence of Eden, and every good harbors risk as well, holding within it the potential for abuse. Eating becomes gluttony, loves becomes lust, and along the way we lost sight of the One who gave us pleasure. The ancients turned good things into idols; we moderns call them addictions. . . ."

This passage struck me because I have long considered my out-of-balance way of handling food an actual sin, with is simply doing things contrary to the way God has intended for us to do things. Sin, of course, brings consequences--in my case overweight, and heaven only knows what my insides are like--and these consequences are what God wants us to avoid, as any loving father would want for his child. Its hard to face the fact that I'm so rebellious and head-strong! Furthermore, as we (I) learn to eat without food having such a grip over me--as Sparkle says, eating like a thin person--then I truly would be demonstrating that food, in and of itself, is good, and is a blessing to be enjoyed and used for optimum health.

And lest anyone jumps all over the first sentence, in context it is not saying that licentiousness regarding sex, money or power is just fine, but that in a godly context they are not evil, per se.

Got in my weights workout today, along with walking on the TM. I again had to quit after about 20 minutes because the ball of my right foot, right behind my 3rd, 4th, and 5th toes was very tender and started to ache, so I decided not to press it. I think the rest of my body could have gone on for another 40 minutes. Aggrevating!

Last edited by GatorGal; 10-22-2001 at 04:49 PM.
Old 10-22-2001, 06:09 PM   #17  
aka Zippy LiverFace

Unhappy

OMIGOSH!! Gonna have to talk to my family back home. They are OBVIOUSLY falling down in the support category for the DAWGS. My momma's gonna have to take them boys some more home made cooking. She used to work in the recruiting office - maybe she needs to go back to helping them! Guess it's already a "Wait till next year" season. Glad Meister's team is continuing to kick butt. He still pumped that USC is actually having a really good season. I'd love to participate in the rivalry on the board, but wimps really shouldn't be picking fights. (I STILL don't like the Gators though! )

Sorry I didn't get to meet TREE with GATORGAL. My wonnerful husband took me shopping for some CD's that I wanted. Got me some Harry Connick Jr., Mary Chapin Carpenter, Bare Naked Ladies, Cranberries. (Kind of eclectic taste in music, you think?) Then we went on a treasure hunt for the perfect little foot stool for me. I'm taking a class on the week-ends and all the chairs are too high for my short legs. I wanted something discreet that I could collapse down and carry with my books and set up when I got to my seat. After about 6 stores we found the PERFECT stool at K-Mart. It's a "Turtle Stool" and it's hard plastic, lightweight and folds up with a little handle. Only $10 and now I will have happy legs. We topped the evening off with dinner at Outback. MARIE, they have sweet potatoes on the menu here. I had the salmon steak with steamed veggies. Tonight we're having trout marinated in a Jerk marinade. It sounded soooo good.

Well, the job hunting saga continues, too……Company #1 (who had wanted to offer me the job, but the position got cut by the Sr. VP) called again on Friday. There has been reorganization in the company and the new Sr. VP of the dept. the position got moved to DOES want to fill the position and they still want ME for the job. BUT……the HR person said she had to get the VP to sign off before she could "officially" offer me the job, but wanted to make sure I still wanted the job. I told her YES, but, alas, no phone call today. Very odd. I do have an interview on Wed. with another company and will certainly go to that. Who knows what could happen. I would like to have a job by the end of the month.

Eckerd is running a program here where if you buy your Halloween candy from them and you don't use it all you can return the unopened packages to them and they'll refund your money. If you buy late and only open one package at a time then you only have to withstand having it in your house for one night. If you have kids tell them this is the one time they don't have to share!

I read all the posts - I think - but I know I won't get to everyone…..

BUSDEB - AWESOME PICTURE!! Thanks for sharing it!

BOB - I'm glad to see ALL the SEC teams aren't doing so bad this year!

GATORGAL - I used to have that problem with BOTH my feet. After about 30 minutes the balls of my feet would cramp up and feel like someone was squishing my foot at the ball. It was very painful. I went to the chiropractor once and he did something to separate the bones in there - it felt good and I haven't had the problem with my right foot since then and now it seems to take longer and longer for my left foot to start doing that again, but it hasn't gone away completely. Some things I started doing is making sure my shoes aren't too tight. I started loosening my laces as loose as they could be and I got arch supports. That seems to help.

FILLISE - I have almost always used protein powders. Vince, bless his heart, does the research on the powders to find the best one that works with whatever diet I'm on at the time. I will get with him and give you a run down on the best for us. We were using one that I LOVED, but last time we went to get some more the guy at the store said they were having it tested independently because they thought the carbs were off. They were WAY off - so now we're using SCI FIT - Econo Whey Protein it has no aspartame in it. I usually have 3 egg whites and cereal or oatmeal for b'fast - mid morning I have one of the individual pkgs of cottage cheese or yogurt mixed with the protein powder and a little fruit. It does a great job of keeping me feeling satisfied and keeping my protein up without adding lots of fat. (and it's FAST)!

MEL - The gym GATORGAL and I go to uses the weightlifting technique where your goal is to lift weights for each body part to failure which should be 8-12 reps. (e.g. leg extension machine - lift X lbs. to failure in one set. When 12 reps are achieved before reaching failure it's time to add weight) It is really hard, but really quick since you're only doing one set per body part. I like it and it seems to be working. Meister pulled something in his neck working out and has been in pain since yesterday. He called in this morning and said he'd be in to work after he was able to get in to see a chiropractor. I hope the chiro can "fix" him. It's so hard seeing someone you love in pain.

LIZ - Hopefully it will help you feel better to know that many, MANY of us have been in your shoes. Every other diet I was on had me stark raving starving and miserable. When I started SB and checking in here and learned that I needed to add more protein and more calories to my day I was frustrated trying to figure out how to fit more in when I was already stuffed! Planning my food a week at a time and putting the whole day into FitDay in the morning or the night before helped me see BEFORE HAND what I had planned for the day so I could adjust my menu ahead of time and see if I needed to change anything. Some of my favorite ways to get my protein is non-fat plain yogurt (Dannon brand) with one pkg of splenda, protein powder OR fruit: a taco salad with only lettuce, refried beans, tomatoes, .5 to 1 oz. of cheese (measured), salsa and low fat sour cream - no chips or Triscuits, etc.. (Vince thinks I’m going to turn into a taco salad). Now I'm discovering falafal, hummus, tabbuleh and other wonderful ME items thanks to DEBBIE. AND the wonderful lentil recipes that MARIE posted on the recipe board. In all actuality I should go back to FitDay now that I'm plateauing and I've lost 11-12.5 lbs. depending on the day. Keep asking questions we'll help as much as we can!

LAMAP - So good to hear from you! I love water aerobics, but they don't have it anyplace here that fits into my budget.

**** ON WHEELS - SORRY, I JUST LOVE THAT HANDLE FOR YOU! You said, "I do plan to get back to the totally no sugar lifestyle but I have some more pressing issues to deal with before getting back to the “forbidden” food concept, which tends to drive me nuts." You don't have to go to "totally no sugar" ya know….there is a balance and there are substitutes AND there are less cravings once you detox somewhat. You are always welcome here and you always contribute and many ways probably have no idea how far your posts reach.

VIV - I hope you like the SB for Kids book. I don't have kids so I didn't read it from that perspective. Someone here had mentioned that it was easier to understand regarding the plan and so I thought I'd check it out - the recipes at the back were a double bonus for me. I have tried quite a few of them and Vince and I like them a lot. The Curry Tuna recipe alone was worth it for me. I used to have pretty bad cramps and PMS and when I went on BCP's they lightened considerably.

DEBBIE - WOW!! CONGRATS TO ELI!! What an honor! It sure is nice to enjoy your work, but to also know that others recognize how hard you work for them. Will we get an updated picture of the new "doo" ?? Inquiring minds want to know! I will DEFINITELY look for that cookbook. I bought some olive oil today and there's an offer for a Mediterranean cookbook for $2 in it. I think I'll order that too. (my spell check doesn't know what to do with all these "foreign" dishes either!)

JOHN C - Welcome aboard our SB train! You are definitely at the right place for answers and support! Camaraderie this season will depend on which SEC team you root for….. I have a bottle of Stevia you can HAVE! We bought it and it is too bitter. Can't seem to get the hang of it.

NASCAR - I'm soooo sorry that #18 car got into that pileup at the end. I really thought he was going to be Jr. It looks like he thought he had enough room to get back down, but didn't. I was waiting to see if there were going to be gloves flying in the garage. I was pulling for Jr. so's I can't say I'm not glad he won. I was standing up screaming and yelling in the living room. You'da thunk I was there in the stands with you! Really stinks to make it that far that good in the race to be knocked out because of a crash. Poor guys.

IDBLOND - So sad to see you go. Come back ANY TIME!!

MELF - Glad to hear you're having a great time!!

SEF - Glad to hear you're going to be around for a lot longer!!
Old 10-22-2001, 06:28 PM   #18  
Everyday angel

Talking

Hi ladies. Wow so many posts to catch up on already, it’s great to see all the activity in here.

Debbie
You’re right that I plan things out too much, I’m just now learning to live in the moment and let the future take care of itself.

I tried some concentrated unsweetened cranberry juice one time which is good for bladder infections. I think I could do shots with that stuff since I don’t drink anymore, it’s that much of a rush!

Good luck with your hair!

Jeanie
Feel free to email me at any time. It’s [email protected]. And thanks for the encouragement. Hey 20 pounds is a big milestone.

Mel
Quite the compliment from your daughter! Doesn’t it feel great?

Well, I do want to point out that the menu I posted was only temporary to get me “detoxed” from sugar and back on track, so I don’t eat that way EVERY day. Besides I didn’t have anything prepared since I’ve been so neglectful lately, so had to eat what was quick. BTW, I’ve been contemplating my psychological “need” for something sweet. I only lasted 1 ½ days without something sweet. Then I had some (quite a bit) of a healthy dessert I made with Splenda and a few breath mints. Still no sugar so we’re getting somewhere.

The cottage cheese baked square things tasted good but smelled a little odd. I will leave out the soy protein powder next time, and definitely add some flavoring as you suggested, was just trying to get some kind of base going.

GatorGal
Thanks for the feedback on “the way thin people eat.” Your words are so true. I have a hard time understanding how people eat normally, just a routine part of the day, when in constrast, I am totally obsessed with food all day long. I want to get to the point where eating is just automatic, but even after all this time I can’t even imagine the concept. I don’t want to think of myself as a “compulsive overeater” or an “addict” like they kept telling me in OA. But I DID find out from this little experiment (eating sugar again) that my brain chemistry is definitely more sensitive to sugar than some other people’s.

Susan
Glad you’re feeling energetic today. Thanks for checking out the website. I am less fanatical than I was last time I updated the site – I guess I’ll always be a little extreme about things, but I have learned not to try to change other people’s way of eating (although I don’t mind sharing information....hehe)

BusDeb
Thanks for sharing your picture with us. You have a lovely smile!

Running out of time so I have to speed things along here. Yesterday the cooking adventures continued full force. I made a sort of casserole with brown rice, hamburger and eggs, layer with lots of spices and veggies. And a fresh pear custard pie which didn’t quite turn out (It was more like oatmeal than pie oops) but still tasted good and the meringue turned out PERFECT – it was my first try at meringue. (Having fun with the electric mixer) I’ve discovered that Splenda does very well in baked goods especially custard based dishes. I think I’ve gone through three dozen eggs in the past few days

Gotta run, busy day.

Love,

Chris
Old 10-22-2001, 06:37 PM   #19  
Goddess

Talking A second visit for the day!

Aren't y'all lucky!

I just finished upgrading the memory on my laptop. I did it all by my lonesome and it was so easy--it seems to be working too.

Hmmmm, nothing involving computers is that easy.

Smoke is probably going to start pouring out my my computer at any second.

If you don't hear from me for a while, you'll know why--HA!

SOL--I feel the same way about my beloved NC State Wolfpack. Halfway through the season and already looking forward to next year. . . . Sigh. At least my precious tigers are doin mighty fine! I hope you get the job hunting thing straightened out. I hate having to wait for someone else to move--hang in there! Where do you buy the protein powder you mentioned?

Gator--I recently read a book on Sabbeth keeping that says in the Jewish tradition one should make love every Sabbeth. In fact one tradition holds that couples should make love 4 times over the sabbeth! The book also suggests that the pleasure of a special sabbeth meal is a way to honor the sabbeth. You are so right--sin lies in the peversion of God's good gifts. I certainly have perverted the use of food in my lifetime.

Melf--sounds like the trip is fun--enjoy!

Liz--get right back into the program and your slip will have only minor consequences.

Lara--we will miss you. Please know that we will be there for you regardless--if you need us please holler!

Deb--so how's the hair?????

Susan
Old 10-22-2001, 06:51 PM   #20  

Ok. Here is my intake amounts for today. I think I overdid it! LOL

Calories Eaten Today
source grams cals %total
Total: 2560
Fat: 104 932 39%
Sat: 37 333 14%
Poly: 11 103 4%
Mono: 29 264 11%
Carbs: 293 943 39%
Fiber: 57 0 0% <~~~ Have no clue why this says 0%
Protein: 130 520 22%
Alcohol: 0 0 0

Someone tell me again my range. It still looks my protein is way off and my fat too high?? I ate meat and protein ALL DAY LONG. Houston--we have a problem

Liz
Old 10-22-2001, 09:00 PM   #21  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

EVENING EVERY BUDDY!!!

MY....GAWD....you all are CHATTY

BUS I'M INNOCENT!!!! I SWEAR!!!! That wasn't me who called BAMA EVIL , and I can't believe that AUBURN TIGER FAN let that slip by!! SUSAN was the culprit!!!

CHRIS Glad I could help...kinda like SHAKE AND BAKE huh???

LARA I know I'll keep comunicating with you thru email, but I'll still miss you around here..PLEASE drop in from time to time and just say hello???? We love you and hope everything works out for you..

DEB OK...I'm making my list in my head as we speak...does this include coffee too? Is there a limit???? So, let me get this straight....30% then the 40% comes off of that? I'll email you my list and let him figure it for me and then send you my money...
Then you can just put in over in my corner and I'll pick it up when I get there...

SUSAN I was playing AUBURN's fight song today on my computer at work...I've got A LOT of FLA fans up there, and I do anything and everyting to agrivate them ...EVERY MORNING when I turn on my computer, ROCKY TOP BURSTS loose from my speakers and I stand at attention until it's over.... WHAT A GREAT WAY TO START THE DAY!!!

LIZ Have you had Debbie do your numbers yet? She can figure out just what you need..Are the KIDLETS better?

GATOR I believe you're the ONLY S E C fan on this board who is NOT on your back!!
GOOD SPORTS ARE HARD TO FIND IN THE SOUTH!!

SOL Maybe someone needs to SHINE UP THE COWBELLS or something?? More SOUP BEAN & CORNBREAD maybe that would get their MOTORS RUNNING??

Well, I'm off to recline...BOB'S OLE ARSE is dragging....so I'm going to climb up in my BROKEN BED, and FLUFF MY PILLOWS and tune in to THIRD WATCH

BOB
Old 10-22-2001, 09:55 PM   #22  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Evening All

I love my hair! I didn't go as blond as I had thought I would, the guy said if I did I'd have so much upkeep with it and my darker roots would come bursting out quickly. So, I told him to do what he thought was best, and he did-the color is so natural, I couldn't be happier. He blew dry my hair straight, that is taking me some getting use to since I've gone au natural with my curly hair for the past 6 years or so. He used this hair iron that's ceramic, not metal and I can't begin to tell you how straight my hair is, not only that, but silky! NEVER in my life has my hair felt so beautifully silk, always coarse and crunchy! It just looks so healthy! This guy definitely knows what he's doing!!! He's got me hooked - now I just have to explain to the gal who did my hair for 20 years why I'm changing-I think I owe her that much. Anyhow, I had Michael take a few pics with his digital video camera, they came out crappy and I had to try and fix them with the program I have on the computer. I tried to post them, they were too big, so will work on getting them reduced and uploaded tomorrow.

Other than that, I did nothing today, I didn't get out of there until after 3pm (he had some other clients in between and boy, this guy can talk! ) Came home famished, made a chicken salad sandwich and had to run get Lauren, grocery store, then Michael-couldn't get on the computer until now.

FILLISE, glad to see you pumped for the week! Hey, one-half pound more is your 65lb mark-WOO HOO!!!

CLAUDEL, any local HFS should carry it. I use STEVIA PLUS, it has no maltodextrin in it like some brands. If you have a VITAMIN SHOPPE in your area, they should have it too. If not, there are sites on the web, Ancients of the Wisdom makes Stevia Plus.

LDBLOND, I'm sorry you are going, we are going to miss you, but I totally understand that there's a lot of things going on in your life at this time. You know, you are always welcome back at any time. I hope you will convince NANCE to get on the ball and get back with us! Thanks for that MOTIVATIONAL POST!!!!

BUSDEB, glad to see the picture came through so you could post it. Please make sure to post it the PHOTO ALBUM BOARD so it can be there for all to see at any time

ROSALIE, hope dinner with the family was nice-hey, it's not even a holiday and you have a family get-together! Hope you had a good badminton game today

TV, hey, do you need a Fl Vacation? I could put you up at the DETOX DUNGEON and have you come help me clean-you could spend a good couple weeks down here! LOL! Good luck this week, stay focused and remember when you are tempted that you have a goal you'd like to make

JMUIR, hoping yout WIW isn't as bad as you think. Remember, you have to eat in EXCESS of 3500 calories of what you normally would to gain a pound, so lets hope that wasn't the case. Hope you found some interesting classes to take at the gym.

LIZERY, I guess you figured out the colors, or was that a fluke? Let us know if you did indeed figure it out. So you stumbled a little this weekend, as long as you are back on track, damamge control shouldn't be so bad! The problem is when you go off and keep running away from the wagon vs jumping right back on it. Yes, the calories are too high, but your ratios if you were to take in that many calories were better. Hey, Rome wasn't built in a day, at least you are trying and seeing how keeping track can be quite important. If you could make your journal public, you can send me the link-it is ONLY public to people you send the link on to, so if you want, I'd be happy to take a look and give you my opinion. E-mail me your weight again and I'll give you your ranges.

MELF, thanks for checking in and letting us know you are making it safely to your destinations. I'm sure you must be staying OP as best you can under the circumstances, don't worry about being OP 100%, as long as you don't go hog wild, which I know you won't, you're doing fine.

GATOR, are you going to have your foot checked out, or have you already??

SOL, reading your Outback outing got me hungry-I love the salmon there!!! Def. a good place to go while up in Orlando next time, at least one place we could hit-always guaranteed a good meal there. I truly hope this company calls you back-it's really not fair not to give a courtesy call to people when they know they are waiting for an answer!
Good tip about Eckerds, I don't think they are doing that down here-and imagine me not knowing if they did, the kids' Dad works there! What's the name of the ME cookbook that's being offered??? I guess when we come up there that I'll have to bring some of my cookbooks???

SPARKLE, how did you make the meringue? I too love meringue, but haven't made any yet.

BOB, he says it's on retail, he doesn't believe that includes the coffee, but he will double check to be sure. I don't think there's a limit to what you can buy. Will let you know as more details become available.

Okay gals, I'm outta here for the night. I'll check in with you tomorrow morning!

Toodles

Debbie
194/122.5/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 10-22-2001, 09:58 PM   #23  

Giving this a try!
Old 10-22-2001, 10:00 PM   #24  

Okay, it doesn't look so good in this picture, can't even tell there's color and I don't have a smidgen of make=up on at all, definitely wasn't the time to take a picture, but figured, it will never look like this again! Even my teeth look funky!
Old 10-22-2001, 10:09 PM   #25  

Well Deb I think you look wonderful. I wish I looked that good with no makeup. Glad you are happy with the results.

Cya later,

Debbie )
Old 10-22-2001, 10:21 PM   #26  

Talking Monday Evening Post

Good Evening Ladies!

I am trying to be better about posting and reading this week. Last week and the Ladies' Night Event here really took it outta me!

Have been exercising like I should. Ran 7 miles yesterday and lifted weights tonight. Hoping that the increase in activity and muscle mass will help get the weight off. Anyone ever see their weight increase after months of loosing followed by beginning to exercise. I wonder if I am rebuilding muscle that I lost during my initial weight loss. I wasn't exercising then, really only started in mid-summer. It's just a theory.

Had to get new running shoes, pair I had were too short and my 2nd toe on my left foot has a lovely black toe nail from the blood blister that has formed underneath the nail. Luckily the place I get them from (RoadRunnerSports.com) allows members to return shoes within 60 days of the purchase for any reason, no matter how worn. They allow non-members to return shoes up to 30 days for any reason. The membership is nominal and has already paid for itself in free shipping, product returns and discounts. They also sell walking shoes, apparel and products. Check it out!

I have to admit that I've PURPOSEFULLY eaten a few peices of Halloween candy each day but I promise it is ONLY in an attempt to wake my metabolism. Someone told me that a nutritionist suggested that eating something that you don't normally eat can "wake up" your system. I am proud that I have been able to keep myself controlled with the amount of candy that I have in the house (2 parties plus Trick-or-Treaters!). Last year at Halloween I started SB, this is the first time since then that I have knowingly cheated with candy. Don't feel any real guilt about it.

This Friday DH and I are going to see the Carolina Hurricanes play (pro hockey). He's been once already this year, this is my first time to see a pro team play. I've enjoyed the minor league teams I've seen. Should be a fun night. Saturday is the Halloween party. DH is going as a Viking!! My wig and dress are haning out to de-wrinkle. Am thinking about borrowing the digital camera from work to take some pics of the party.

Now I'll try to respond to my peeps!

DEB and BOB - I have the program for the race. It came! Here is the info that I can offer you.
The race is on January 6th. Start time 6:00 a.m. I expect to finish in approximately 5 hours (11:00 a.m.).
Spectators will be allowed to enter only certain areas of the park/race route without paying park admission.
These are as follows:
6:00 a.m. - Marathon and 1/2 Marathon Start. Expect to see BOB there bright, make that dark and early!
6:55-8:50 a.m. 10 mile mark - Magic Kingdom/Main Street USA.
I estimate that I can be there in approximately 1:45-2:15 hours. You have to access this via the monorail from Epcot. There are signs that will tell direct you to the monorail and where along Main Street you can view the runners, but will not let you into the park, therefore, no admission is required. The return on the monorail takes you back to the Family Reunion Area and the finish line at Epcot.
7:10-9:25 a.m. - 12.7 miles mark - Floridan Way Viewing
This is accessible via monorail or car. I remember this was a great place for spectators last time and there wasn't a big crowd. At this time I estimate that I will be there in approx 2 hours to 2:30 hours.
8:20 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. - 26.2 miles mark and the GLORIOUS finish line!
The marathon finish occurs in the Imagine Parking Lot at Epcot and admission is not required.
I believe that it will take me approx 5 hours to get to this lovely stage of the race.

PLEASE save this info! If y'all anticipate buying park admission I will let you know where the viewing areas in the park are. Thre are some at Animal Kingdom, Disney-MGM and Epcot. Personally, the best areas that I remember where Floridan Way and the Finish area.

Hope this info is helpful. If you want to email me your mailing address I will be happy to photocopy the entire brochure and mail it to you. It is very Disney and they've left nothing out!

DEB - I am having the fiber Dookie Howser problem too! I have eaten a salad, 2 apples, and Uncle Sam's today and nothing's moving! Not even the gym tonight helped!

Congrats on 19 months! You have ceratinly earned the right to be VERY proud of yourself. You go girrrrrllll!

HAIR PICS!! HAIR PICS!! - OOOOO I just saw them and I'm editing my post. DAHLIN you rook MAAAAHVALUS!!! Your hair even looks silky! Who cares about the make-up, we are all too busy looking at those locks! And the sign is cute too!

FILLISE - Sounds like you and Miss Belle are getting along great! Glad you are having a great day. I see that you found Fresh Market. Love to get the 70% cocoa Lindt bars and some good ol cashews there. Everything else is too expensive! Nice store though!

BUSDEB - You are such a pretty lady! I bet you're the prettiest bus driver in all of 'Bamalama! Have I asked you 1000 times where in AL you are? I get you and TV a little confused. I have NO memory! I'm sorry

NASCAR - So glad that Jr. won. I remember about 8 years or so ago I went to the May race and there was a wreck like that at the end with Dale, Sr. and Rusty! I am pretty sure that my dad, bro, BIL and nephews were at that race too. My dad calls Talladega "Talladigga" with his southern accent. It always makes me smile. My uncle died at that race track 2 years ago at the Busch race. He had special parking so he was very close to the track and was going to meet up with the rest of my family. He got out of his truck and collapsed. Massive heart attack! It's sad, but a kinda funny tribute to the "red neck" race fans that we (my family) are. "You might be a red neck if... a member of you family has ever died at a Nascar race" I loved that uncle dearly and miss him. He had a great sense of humor and could laugh at himself. He would certainly see the humor in it that I do. He was a sweet and gentle man. RIP Uncle Billy .

LDBLOND - I wish you nothing but the best. Go in the direction that you are lead. And if it brings you back to us, we'll be here for you.

ROSALIE - I always want to play a lil badminton whenever you mention it. I bet you have a great time at it.

TV - Love the witch graphic! Cute!

LIZ - Are you sabotaging yourself? If you have one event where you slip up, or a meal, or a day, that's OK. And it's good that you are being honest with yourself. Just get back on the wagon as you say you are. I too am having trouble locating lean sources of protien. Will let you know what I can come up with if you'll do the same.

MELF - Happy Vacation!!!

SOL - You and have the same ecletic music tastes! I have some of the same groups that you have. Did you get the new Cranberries' CD? Do you like it? I have 2 of the older ones, love 'em. I got Micheal J's Thriller last weekend. Must be one of the only people in America that didn't own something by him. Now I want Madonna's Immaculate Collection. I also like Bluegrass, Country, Jazz, but I love Funk, Hip-Hop and Disco. If I can shake my groove thang to it I'm a happy chick! Good luck with the job hunt! Keep on keeping us updated.

Well Ladies, that does it for this evening. Hello to anyone that I may have missed. Hope you have a happy sugar free day tomorrow!

Peace,
FROG

Last edited by Frog Lover; 10-22-2001 at 10:24 PM.
Old 10-22-2001, 11:15 PM   #27  

Good evening everyone

Liz - I think the reason that fibre is given no percentage of calories on Fitday is because fibre is part of the total carb content so the calories are counted in with the carbs. If you check the nutrient content on a cereal box you should see what I am trying to explain. It looks to me like you had plenty of protein to-day. The percentages are off because of the fat. What kind of meat are you eating? I find whenever I eat beef, even if very lean, it always shows up on Fitday with a very high fat content. Even fish, like salmon, will push the fat content up even though it contains the so called "good fat". If my fat content is high due to eating salmon I am not too concerned but I have been trying to avoid too much red meat. I've been eating more chicken and frequently have vegetarian meals with lentils/peas/beans as the protein source. This helps to keep the fat down.

Ldblond - Sorry to hear that you are leaving us but it is good to know that the board has helped you in your weight loss journey. You'll be missed.

Deb - Congrats on your 19th Month SB Anniversary. You should be very pleased with yourself for staying with it and reaching goal. Your hair looks beautiful. The guy did a great job. Had a good badminton session to-day. Played about four games. I didn't have to cook anything for the family to-day. I fed two of the boys (who were going out with my ds) sweet and sour pork that I had made yesterday. I gave the other two guys a choice of the same or going out to eat. They chose to go out of course which was fine with me.

Melf - Glad to hear you are having a good holiday. Looking forward to seeing the pics.

Solshine - Your Outback must have a completely different menu to ours. Ours has no sweet potatoes and no salmon. It's mainly steak, chicken, shrimp and 'fish of the day' plus steamed veggies and salads. I've only been there once and was quite impressed with it. I was thinking I might go there this evening with my dd if we were going to be eating alone but she had the two younger gc's with her so went to a fast food place instead. I won't post what I ate tonite but it was definitely not SB. But the rest of the day I did fine. Had falafels again for lunch to-day and have some to take to work for lunch tomorrow. My dil bought a package for me. One I hadn't tried before called 'Cedar' and it was quite good. Hope they make up their mind soon about that job.

Frog - Have you tried eating prunes for the DOOKIE HOWSER problem. This usually works for me.

Busdeb - Great picture.

Well, I have to get ready to hit the sack. Have to get up early in am. Hi to everyone I have missed.

Have a good SB day tomorrow.

Nite.

Marie.
Old 10-23-2001, 08:30 AM   #28  

Talking

Morning Ladies!
I didn't get to check in yesterday, I was working out of town. Man what a race! Did you see me at the top waving?
Well I got a tan in October! It was so hot about 80! What a race I was so ill at the end! My man wrecked on the final lap;went sailing in front of me on his hood! It was so smokey and scarey! So glad he got out of that car!
Fellis - Jr did well, But they said yesterday his car was illegal on the set up so they fined them $25,000 of course that's not a drop in the bucket seeing how he won the Million!

TV - I know you were thrilled! Jr. did well! He said he's keeping wilson in the car with him the rest of the season! (his lucky volley ball!)

Ok, I did alright on food but did drink some wine (white zin) so that was bad, but it was so hot I walked it off climbing those 34 flights of stairs several times so maybe I burned some calories off!
Back on track today! Going to the mountains for the weekend and shopping (a girls trip) so should be fun!
Debelli - congrads on the loss! and for 19 months you deserve an big hug for sticking to your SB that long!!! You are my inspiration!!! I hope I do as well as you have.
Gotta run! Will try to check in later!
Old 10-23-2001, 09:13 AM   #29  
Little Engine That Could

SOL--Thanks for the info regarding my feet. I have a good chiropractor, so maybe the next time I go to him I’ll mention it and he can manipulate my feet. He sometimes does that anyway, where he “pops” my toes, kind of like someone pops their knuckles, and it is not pleasant. Not to me, at least.
DEB--I think I’ll go the chiropractor route to start. I’ve had so much done to my feet over my life: had a stress fracture of one of the metatarsuls, a stress fracture in my heel bone, and a neuroma for which I had to have surgery. So, I’m not anxious to go back to the dr.

DEB--Your new hairdo makes you look about 15 pounds thinner, even though I can’t see your whole body in the pix. But I certainly thins your face. I think it is beautiful. I hope it is not difficult to keep it that way because I think it is definitely a keeper of a style. Also, it highlights your eyes, which are very lovely. Instead of seeing “all that hair”, now your face comes shining through, and it’s a great looking face.

I have French class on Wednesdays, so, lucky me, I won't be here to greet the little hobgoblins on the 31st. So, I won't be buying any candy and we will just turn off all the lights, both inside and out. And if any of them venture up to ring the bell, no one will be here. We live in a pretty close neighborhood ( I know it doesn't sound like it with my halloween comments) so I suspect there will be some trick-or-treaters out, but I think that a lot of churches will be offering parties, instead, to keep the kids off the streets this year with the anthrax scare. Parents can't be too careful.

TREE still has 3 days here in Orlando. She's returning home to AZ on Thursday, after the convention she is attending ends.

Been feeling a bit punky the last few days, and probably have not had my quota of calories. Just thinking about food sounds yukky.

Well, will sign off for today. Want to prepare my homework for French class, have some other reading to do, and want to start sewing a suit for myself. That way I can tailor it to fit. Have a great day all you losers, and even you non-losers!!!
Old 10-23-2001, 09:31 AM   #30  

Good Tuesday Morning Everyone

I'm one of those people where the numbers make a impact on my day. Yes, I admit it openly, I'm a number watcher! If I step on the scale and like what I see, it's a good start to the day. I liked what I saw this morning, down another 1/2lb. Just one pound up from my all time low-not too shabby!

After taking Michael to school and running late because we had to swing back by the house for a book he forgot, I had to make a decision about my walk, make sure I walked/jogged with a little extra effort or shorten it. Eli had to go in early meaning I had to get back in time to take Lauren to school. I put forth the effort of trying to keep a good pace and HAD MY BEST WALK/JOG TIME EVER!!! I did it in 48:31, 28 seconds better than my previous best time-needless to say I was shocked, as well as happy So, with that in mind, my day is starting out just peachy! Though, it wasn't so great dealing with the 94% humidity!\

When I woke up this morning, my hair still looked great and felt great-umm, after my 4.5 miles, it no longer looked so hot. The humidity frized it up a bit, it's wet from sweat and alas, it's not looking too hot now. Oh, well, guess that's just the price I have to pay, eh?

So today, I'm REALLY making sure I stay right on target with my foods, not that I really waiver much anyhow, but with WIW looming over tomorrow, I really would like to post a loss on the WEIGH IN BOARD-at least if I stay the same as I am today I'll be able to do that!

Today is TUESDAY TIPS and I just thought that even though I posted a similar list long ago, it was worth posting a new one about SUGARS.

Sugar

Sugar is another ingredient that can hide under many different names. If you see any of the following words on a label, beforwarned; it's sugar!

Brown sugar is sugar crystals contained in molasses syrup with natural flavor and color.
Confectioners' sugar is finely powdered sucrose.
Corn sweeteeners are corn syrup and sugars derived from corn.
Corn syrup is a syrup produced by the action of enzymes on cornstarch.
Dextrose is an older name for glucose.
Fructose is sometimes known as fruit sugar or levulose.
Galactose is part of the disaccharide lactose.
Glucose is sometimes known as dextrose or grape sugar.
Honey is sugar formed from nectar (mostly sucrose) gathered by bees.
Invert sugar is a mixture of glucose and fructose formed by the hydrolysis of sucrose in a chemical process.
Lactose is commonly known as milk sugar.
Levulose is an older name for fructose.
Maltose is sometimes known as malt sugar.
Maple syrup is a sugar (mostly sucrose) purified from concentrated sap of the sugar maple tree.
Molasses is a thick brown syrup, left over from sugarcane juice during sugar refining.
Raw sugar is the first crop of crystals harvested during sugar processing.
Sorbitol is a sugar alcohol, which can be derived from fruits or commercially produced from dextrose.
Sucrose is commonly known as table sugar; beet sugar, or cane sugar.

Sugarless does not mean calorie free, and many sugar-free products will not contain table sugar, but may contain other forms. With the advent of all the different fat-free products the consumption of sugar by Americans had increased in 1991 from 132 pounds to a whopping 152 pounds per person, per year, as of 1997!

BUSDEB, thanks for the nice compliment-I truly don't know if make-up helps-either way, I think I have that washed out look!

FROG, not only do I commend you for running as you are, but purposely eating candy and being in control of the situation, WOW, you are inspiring I know if I had just one bite of any of that candy, I'd be a goner. Thank goodness for SB LEGAL chocolates! I hope maybe this will kick-start your system. Your muscle theory may be right. I guess it's just to continue on with a wait and see attitude. Bottom line is, are you feeling good-if so, that's what's most important! Thanks for all the info on DW, I would say def. spectator not park. I'll print the info and keep it in my SB FILE and let you know as the time gets closer what plans we will make. Have to look at the kids' school schedules. Do you think we could plan something over the weekend-would just have not to spend some time and only be able to root you on for a few minutes. Let us know! Glad you liked the hair pic-gosh knows what it will look like when we meet!

ROSALIE, thanks for the nice hair compliment-at least the kids won't be plucking out the gray hairs for a while now-they're camouflaged!!! Good that you didn't have to cook a big meal for everyone, but that S&S Pork sounded mighty good-I don't think I've ever had it before. Can it be made SB LEGAL?? When we went to Calif. to the OUTBACK there, the lady looked at me oddly when I requested the sweet potato-guess they don't do it at all the Outbacks. The salmon and mahi mahi are considered FISH OF THE DAY down here. I have mine made on the open grill-yummy!!!

NASCAR, glad to see you had a good time at the race. Don't worry about the wine, I'm sure you burned it off one way or another. Mountains-ahhhh, lucky you! I do WISH we had a mountain here in Fl-a hill even, SOMETHING but the flat pavement!!! Hope you have a great time this weekend with your friends-sounds fun! I'm sure you'll do great on SB-thanks for thinking so highly of me

GATOR, your hair comments were so nice. It made me think about what my BIL said to me the other day when we were at my niece's party. I asked him "did you get a picture of Ainsley and her cake", he said, "yeah, Ainsley, her cake and your mop of hair!" I guess it had gotten a bit over fluffy with being so long. I also thought it wasn't doing my face much good having it framed around it, though it does take some getting use to having it straight. Of course, it will never look as good as when he did it yesterday. He used a straighting iron, but a ceramic one, so it doesn't burn the hair-I would love to get one for Lauren and I to use, so that may end up being her big Hanukkah present that I will have to borrow from time-to-time. Thanks for the nice words, 15lbs lighter, oye, I can see my Mother now-she's say for sure I look emaciated!!! LOL!!! I commend you on the French classes, I would love to take another language, but I just don't think I'd retain the info-hey, next time we come up, you and Eli can converse-he's fluent in French. My son Michael is in his 5th year of it as well.

REMINDERS!!!! TONIGHT IS CHAT AT 9:15PM EST Anyone planning on showing tonight???? ALSO, TOMORROW IS WEIGH IN WEDNESDAY! I hope everyone has good luck with the metal monster tomorrow!!!!

Okay, I'm outta here for a while. I hope you all have a wonderful day.

Debbie
194/122/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01

Last edited by Debelli; 10-23-2001 at 09:33 AM.
Closed Thread