Sugar Shakers for followers of Sugar Busters and other GI based diets

View Poll Results: When it comes to describing you and the way you follow SB, would you say you say:
I'm OP100% of the time-anally obsessed 3 10.34%
75-99% of the time 19 65.52%
50-74% of the time 2 6.90%
25-49%of the time 1 3.45%
15-24% of the time 0 0%
10-14% of the time 0 0%
less than 10% of the time 0 0%
Let's just say I've been run over by the wagon! 2 6.90%
I plead the Fifth! 2 6.90%
Other 0 0%
Voters: 29. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread

Old 10-17-2001, 11:03 AM   #46  
Little Engine That Could

Missy--Great to see you back on the board. And thanks for the nice post. Before Spurrier came to UF, no one really hated Florida. It was just one of those Middle of the road teams that lost the games that really counted. We considered a 7-4 season pretty good. But when Spurrier came and UF started really winning, well all those teams that were used to beating us didn’t like it, and so we became the team everyone loved to hate. And Spurrier doesn’t play the “aw shucks” game, and cow-tow to the old-boys network. He tells it like it is, and occasionally even steps over the line in being honest when he probably should just shut up. So that makes him a convenient target for derision. But if any other SEC school could get him, they’d take him in a minute! Several years ago, when the Gators beat UT at Knoxville, we were up there for the game and read in the local paper the next day an interesting column by the local sportswriter that the rich UT alums should do what it took to “bring Spurrier back to where he was from.” (He is from Johnson City, Tenn.) His suggestions ranged from a ton of money to his own private golf course and even ownership of a horse farm. I think Spurrier will be at Florida no more than 5 more years, so we’ll enjoy him while we have him.

We didn’t get to Red Stick because it would have cost quite a bit more money than the trip to Auburn. That’s the only reason. We had a good trip to Auburn, but I’m looking forward to the next time we play y’all, so we can get back to Lousiana. Maybe we can get together then.

Fruit--Do you load your pages in Netscape or Internet Explorer? I personally use Netscape, but several of the gals have said that they got rid of the loading problems when they used IE. So try that.

Melf--I was reading in the USA Today this morning that the terrorism has had a big impact on seniors, who have a lot of fears about what has been going on. The doctor’s advice to your mom sounds great. God is greater than anything the terrorists can do, and is a “safe port” no matter how stormy the circumstances become.

Tree--Great suggestions. Looking forward to meeting you. I’ll try to get in touch with SolShine and we’ll pick a good place for dinner on Sat. night. Sun. night doesn’t work well for me. What is your schedule on Thursday and Friday. When do you finish Friday? Also, when does your session end on Saturday?

BOB--I agree with Meliris. I can’t even imagine how he could have broken A BED!!

Well, I’m off to do chores and exercise. See ya’ll later.
Old 10-17-2001, 11:34 AM   #47  
aka Zippy LiverFace

Smile

Good Morning!

I had an interview with a temp agency today. Their website didn't reflect it, but they don't "do" high tech jobs. HOWEVER, the girl I spoke with came from a high tech temp agency and gave me a few names AND mentioned that she has very good connections with a few of the companies I have already applied with and will be making a few phone calls on my behalf. SOOOoooo.....not completely unprofitable. We really hit it off personality-wise and I feel like she'll put forth some good effort on my behalf. If I can just get an interview with a company who employes "cool" and "very real" people I just know they would like me. I don't do well at banks and where people are "image conscious" and stuffy environments. No offense to any bankers out there! My dad is one....but it IS all about image and prestige at banks as far as I can tell.

Spent some time getting the car worked on after that. I'm home to grab a bite to eat and then go run some more necessary errands.

Weighed in at 197 this morning. I seem to be in a stall again. This is getting old, but at least it's not above the 200 lb. mark again. I think I may jump back on fitday and "tweak" my eating again now that I"ve discovered all this wonderful ME food - THANKS DEBBIE!!! Yesterday I decided to tackle the 3.5 mile loop around our neighborhood and not worry about speed, but endurance - ya know, not CRAWLING back home. My fingers still swelled like snausages, but I wasn't dying when I got home. Took me about 75 minutes total. We figured that at around 2.8 miles per hour. When I walk on the treadmill and when I do shorter distances I can do 3.8 - 4.2 mph, so it was slower, but longer - I gues that's good.

SEF - Take care of yourself!! Please let us know the good news on your tests - I'm expecting it to bee good news, you see!

MELF - Glad to hear that your mom is being taken care of so well and that her outlook is improving. I just found out that my step-great-grandmother (93 years old) has just been put into a home. She thinks it's temporary, but it isn't. She has one of the most lovely antebellum homes in Mississippi I think. She's going to miss being there a lot. I got her new address and will be dropping her a line every once in a while.

BOB - ditto what everyone else has said about that man paying to replace your bed - with the same excellent quality product!! I know that you will see to it that justice is done.

DEBBIE & TREE - I think it was you two - I have a great recipe for SPANK YER PITA that we use without the filo dough (can't find the SB friendly kind here yet). I'll try to get it posted today or tomorrow.

MARIE - Glad you were able to get your tulips planted and at a time when you were able to supervise. You'll have to post a picture of them when they are in full bloom for us black thumbers. I must say that my marigolds and basil I planted around the mailbox are doing pretty darn good. the mailman thinks I'm nuts for using basil as a landscape plant, but, oh well! Gives him something to look forward to! My plumbago and lantana are doing okay - I was worried about the lantana for a while, but I hear they are hearty and hard to kill so maybe they'll pull through.

well, I've got to run, ladies. Hope everyone's a LOSER today!!
Old 10-17-2001, 12:03 PM   #48  
"I'm working on it!"

Default Whew!

Boy is is windy out there! Just got back from a bunch of errands.

DEBELLI-Thanks for the coupon. I've not ordered from the States for a while. We get hit from everywhere: duty, Taxes, Canada Post taking a fee for collecting the other fees. I'll check out the site and if I find something I can have it sent to my inlaws condo in Florida and they can bring it home next spring!

VIV-I'll keep thinking of you and your dad.

FILLISE-Soup sounded good. I'll have to try it sometime.

MELIRIS-I measure several different places: bust, waist, gut, hips. So when I say that I've lost 2 inches, I mean TOTAL of all places I measure. Today I was down 1 inch in my hips and a half inch in two other places. 2 inches on your waist is GREAT!

SOLSHINE-Good to hear that your interview was somewhat productive. I'll keep thinking positive thoughts for you.

Inlaws are expected soon. Better go.
Old 10-17-2001, 12:29 PM   #49  

Default Happy WIW

Well, finally a good WIW. I'm down 2.5!!

It's a beautiful day here in Atlanta. It actually got cold here last night. There is a freeze warning for tonight. The leaves are starting to change. I LOVE FALL!!

Anyway, not much else to report. Unfortunately don't have time to respond to everyone, but I hope everyone has a great day.

Congrats to all the losers!

Jennifer
202/199.5/150
Old 10-17-2001, 02:15 PM   #50  
SUPER CHICK aka Moderator

Quickie before I have to go for carpool. Hate that I have to go there to pic up the 2 kids we carpool with and then have to go back for Michael later as he's staying after to try out for some play. It's not close to my house, a good shlep, but it's my day to p/u-oh well.

VIV, through all the chaos in your life, I appreciate it when you check in I'm sure you'll make that Thanksgiving goal!!

FILLISE, glad you're back home safe and sound, surely Miss Belle must be purrfectly happy to have you back Good for you holding steady after traveling, now that you're back in your own surroundings and can eat easier, I'm sure the scale will start moving back down

MEL, cool beans you got those 3lbs back off! Way to go! Just 2lbs to go before you hit a great milestone-you'll be under 150!!! It's REALLY exciting to get to that point. Good advice for BOB, boy, I wouldn't want to screw up something in your house!!! As for measuring, I only started measuring my waist, stomach and right thigh long after I started SB. To give you an idea, in April 2001 my waist was 33 1/2", the other day 31 1/2", only 2" during the past 6 months. I've lost 9.5lbs from that date. In one year I've gone down 5" from my stomach, and have lost about 35lbs in that time.

SOL, hope the temp agency finds you that perfect position. Keep on doing as you are Sonya, that plateau will break soon, I'm sure of that. Look at me, 5 days at the same exact weight, not fluctuations! Good going on the walk-I would def. go for distance rather than time and speed when I have the time. So, do I hear a little sarcasm there when it comes to ME food??? Eli's up in your territory today and tomorrow-staying across from Sea World-the coffee people have taken over Orlando!!! Let me know when you post your recipe!! Hey, when I come up, I'll just have to bring some of that phyllo for you!! Actually, that WHOLE FOODS up there in Orlando area, they SHOULD carry it, that's where I found mine-at least, they could order it-call them!!

ZANNE, half.com is a used book site, some are new, but most are used. I can't imagine there being any duty on that, it's not from a store. Anyhow, I found a set of 4 books that I may try to get, one is the book I mentioned, maybe we can do something together with it, there's one book I want from the lot-have to check it out in more detail, will let you know. Where in Fl do your in-laws have a place? Many Canadians seem to migrate to the Hollywood, FL area, but ask BOB and she'll tell you they seem to all go to Sarasota!

JMUIR, CONGRATS! You did awesome this week!! CONGRATS for getting under the 200 mark!!!

Will catch you all later!

Debbie
194/125/129
SB since 3/22/00
Reached goal 6/10/01
Old 10-17-2001, 03:38 PM   #51  
"I'm working on it!"

DEBELLI- Inlaws are (or will be sometime in November) in West Palm Beach. We visited in February. FIL can sniff out the garage sales there too!!!! I came back with a few treasures from there.

I bet our gov't could find a way to tax ANYTHING! I haven't tried buying used books before tho. But the difference in the $ is bad too. If you saw something for $2.99 it would cost us about $5.99 before any other charges.

I will check out the site. I may find something worthwhile. Do you have Value Village down there? I like to check out their book section here. I've picked up a lot of great stuff for my son there too.

Better go. Looking for Barley recipes.
Old 10-17-2001, 06:35 PM   #52  

Hi everyone

Just a quickie as I am heading out to badminton in a few minutes. Was at work all day and just had time to cook a light meal and do the dishes so I don't have them all to face at 10 o'clock tonite.

No loss this week - still at 196 which is one up from my lowest.

Sol - I can see we are still keeping each other company.

Will try to post more later.

Bye.

Marie.
Old 10-17-2001, 06:47 PM   #53  

Default insulin makes us fat????

Hi all.
I'm new here- this is a great site.
I have a question. I have read tons of info on insulin making us fat- and personally- sugar completely adds the weight for me (Its really amazing- its like assigning 4 times the calories the food actually contains if its sugar!) But it just doesn't make sense to me. I get that insulin rises and it stores fat. But the bottom lineis this. If you eat 250 cals of sugar over an hours while watching TV burning 60. You need 60 cals- no more no less. So whether you have insulin or not, you will use 60, and the rest will go unused. And if its unused it has to be stored whether there is a lot of insulin or not- right? What difference does it make if something "tends" to store fat. You use a certain # of calories to exist etc.???Any help with this would be much appreciated.
Thanks.
Old 10-17-2001, 07:53 PM   #54  
Everyday angel

Talking partial complete reply

Mary
Cute link to the “my friend” song....and I’m not stuffing my face with marshmallow peeps YET, but it’s probably only a matter of time.

Marie
Hey 12 pounds is 12 pounds! But it’s great that you’re doing some fine tuning of your routine. I don’t see the need to eat rhubarbs personally, but to each her own!

Froggie
Glad you’re feeling better about the temporary stall. I have made a lot of changes and not just weight, I guess the dramatic aspect comes in because I had so VERY much to change about myself! LOL

Tree
Thanks for the compliment. Hope your back is better by now! LMAO on the piggy banks story! So true (on your class) that we are often our own worst critics.

Shirley
LOVED the sfww cake slice story! That was the most inspiring thing I’ve heard lately!
Quote:
I'm about as useful as a t*t on a boar hog!!!
Whoohoo that was hilarious!!!!

Debbie2
Yep I’m sure lots of chicks in here have several sizes in their closets. I’ve posted a lot about that in the past. As part of my recovery from well a lot of things, I got RID of all my “fat” clothes and keep the “skinny” clothes separate in a drawer.

Nancy
The funny thing is, the compulsive (or at least out of control) spending and the weight/eating seem to go hand in hand for me. Is it the same with you? Like it’s the very same problem in different forms.

TV
Hay ride sounds like fun! Sorry to hear you are having a tough time. This too shall pass.

Deb
Thanks for the encouragement. It means a lot to me, especially when I’ve made so much progress but some days it seems like I haven’t.

Susan
Hope the special events went ok.

Lizery
Wow thanks for the compliment! (blush) Well as you can see, in my case top-heavy has nothing to do with boobs. So you’re lucky yours didn’t disappear. The strangest thing happened with me. I lost TONS of weight on my boobs like they practically disappeared. But my chest size has not gotten as proportionately small as my waist and hips. So I think it’s either I’ve developed my pecs and/or my lung capacity has actually increased from running. I think when I finish losing weight I’ll probably be an “A” cup, down from a C/D!!!! Right now, I wear a 12 on top, 10 on the waist, and a 6 on the hips (I can’t really get into a six, just according to my hip measurements – tummy is in the way ). So I look pretty odd.

Hope you feel better and great job on resisting the movie snacks.

Quote:
I have to admit it is so hard to see all those THIN people eating whatever that want. I have to repeat to myself over and over "thin does not =healthy."
Being that I’ve been completely obsessed with weight and body issues my entire life, I’ve done a lot of observations about the way thin and fat people eat.

It’s true that some fat people don’t eat that much. For whatever reason, be it genetics or screwed up metabolism from dieting, they can eat the same and still gain weight. Metabolism is a tricky thing and unique to each individual.

My mother is naturally thin and was 88 – 98 pounds the whole time we were growing up, until recently, when she started taking medication that made her gain weight. She LOVES SUGAR. She’ll go out of her way to find the very best junk food, like hunting in the depths of chinatown for mooncakes (with duck egg) once a year or this special factory for manapua (meat cakes). Although all three of us children got quite fat on this primarily sugar diet, she managed to stay thin. I notice she does three things that I don’t naturally do:

1) She eats only the very best food (according to her standards) not stuff that’s just lying around

2) She eats VERY slowly

3) She leaves food on her plate if she’s had enough

My sister, also a major sugar addict, managed to get and stay thin for the last ten years despite a malfunctioning (low) thyroid and other health problems which went undiagnosed. Although she eats a lot of sweets, she never eats food she doesn’t like either, and stops eating before she’s full.

At the gym, I see all kinds of people working it. Fat, skinny, young, old. The ones who look really buff are OBVIOUSLY putting a lot of work into it, because I can watch what they’re doing, day in and day out.

The conclusion of the ramble: things are not always what they seem to be when it comes to those “lucky” thin people. Although some people have slow metabolisms or other health problems, generally, weight has a lot to do with calories consumed – calories burned.

Sonya2 (thunderwoman)
Congrats on the 20 pound mark! That’s quite a milestone.

Mel
A little late, but good luck on the b-day! (Okay resisted the cake, good for you!) Good idea on the grapes. It’s so hard to keep things from accidentally falling in my mouth when I’m cooking.

Laurie/Catlover
Don’t stay away too long! But I know you’ll do what’s best. We’ll welcome you back when you choose to join us again!

SolShine
Thanks for dropping me a note even though from my activity on this board I could have been dead. You’re a good friend. LMAO at the tabouleh breath!!! I temped for quite a long time, several years, and enjoyed it at the time. Definitely give you exposure to various companies in the area and possible jobs. Good luck!

Okay I’m running out of both time and attention span to post. I’ve been doing pretty well to moderately okay for 2 weeks with my BFL program. Been doing my workouts. But starting around 6 pm last night I just SNAPPED and today I feel like I’m not only falling off the wagon but the wagon is going over a cliff at the same time. Does anybody else ever feel like that, like this switch is just turned on and all of a sudden nothing in the world matters but eating. I hope it will blow over. I have a therapy session this afternoon so that may be helpful. Sometimes I think therapy triggers stuff like this because I’ve been comfortable in my neuroses for so very long and change is painful.

So hope to have good news to report by tomorrow. It has only been this one day that I’ve been feeling run over by a truck and I’m “correcting course” as soon as I can.

Love,

Chris

Old 10-17-2001, 08:42 PM   #55  

Evening Ladies!

Well today I logged every item I ate on fitday. Plus I walked a mile (hilly mile) so that is a major Plus for me! Not much to report. Still feeling tired I think it's my sugar though. I'm boarder line diabetic so sometimes my levels get out of wack! Of course fogetting to take the meds can attribute to that too! I get so busy I forget to take it some days. I have to take it 2x's day and if I forget and get off schedule it screws me up!

Well the big race weekend is upon me! Can't wait!!! Sure would like to see my fella win this one We have decided to take our grill and tailgate and cook before we go in. That will keep the temptation of track food away It is like majorly cool here this evening and I'm lovin it! we need some cool weather! Ready for fall! of course the leaves are already coming down!
Have a great evening and I look forward to seeing ya'lls wonderful recipes tomorrow!!
Old 10-17-2001, 09:16 PM   #56  
Everyday angel

Thumbs down hana hou

Back. Not good for any work today.

BOB
Too much on the four poster bed! Ouchie!

Marie
I’ve never heard of English trifle either. It sounds good if a bit time intensive. I just discovered a low-carb recipe for sponge cake as follows:

Italian Sponge Cake
Ingredients: · 5 eggs - separated · 1 tbsp. and 1 tsp vanilla · 3 tbsp. soya powder or soy flour · 1/2 tsp. cream of tartar · 5 tbsp. sugar substitute (Splenda works best) · 1 tsp. grated lemon peel · 4 tbsp. heavy cream Place egg yolks and sugar substitute in a bowl. Beat with electric mixer until well blended. Add vanilla and lemon. Continue to beat and add soy flour one tbsp at a time. Stir in heavy cream. Beat egg whites in fresh bowl with cream of tartar until stiff but not dry. Fold yolk mixture into egg whites. Be careful not to break down egg whites - so fold carefully and slowly. Turn into greased 9" cake pan and bake at 325°F for 30 minutes or until cake tests done.Makes 9 servings. 6 carb per serving.

I substituted almond for lemon flavor and used white flour because I’m not sure if soy flour is the same thing as soy protein powder. It’s a bit dry but not bad for sugar free. I also made a chocolate variation that was pretty good.

Link to the recipe site:
http://www.lowcarbluxury.com/recipes/recipe-cake02.html

Missy
Nice to hear from you. If your computer is new then maybe something is wrong with your Internet settings. Sometimes one type of site will load fine but another won’t. Consult a computer geek.

SolShine
Glad to hear some good news on the job front. Great job on that 3.5 mile loop, you go girl!
Claudel
Wow for the first time in history I can be the first to welcome someone to the forum!!! (Unless somebody else posts meanwhile ) So welcome to the forum and I’ll let somebody else answer your question as I’m pretty confused on the issue myself.

Belated Tuesday Tip
For a more effective workout when walking or running, hold your back straight and your abs tight. If you don’t know how to tighten your abs and breathe at the same time, practice holding them in and taking 20 deep breaths while you are standing in line or otherwise waiting. Pretty soon you will be keeping your abs tight all the time. However the best way to develop proper posture is to walk through a very crowded gym in a sports bra....guarantee you will be sucking that s*** in!!!!!

My thoughts on Weigh in Wednesday
Last week I posted something on an initial weight gain at the start of a weight bearing exercise program. Well sure enough, after working my little patootie off all week, Monday I had a gain of THREE pounds from 145 after I was sitting around doing nothing for a month. This was annoying because I know I did well. So I decided not to torment myself. As long as I stick to my workouts I don’t need to obsess over the scale, which is not an accurate measure of progress.
Old 10-17-2001, 09:23 PM   #57  
BIG ORANGE FOOTBALL RULES

EVENING EVERY BUDDY

Not a good WIW for BOB..I'm up two pounds...my WW leader thinks I'm retaining water and has given me a list of things to
combat this problem. It's not what I'm eating, because I've been really good this week. I'll try what she has suggested and if it works...then great...if not...then HMPF!!!

OK..this is how the bed was broken..I have berber carpet on the floor of my bedroom and it's quite hard to move furniture across it. When he pulled it away from the wall, it was empty but he pulled on the "spindle" between the two lower posters. When he got it where he wanted it, he place things on top of it that were in the floor and around the room. When he was finished and was ready to put it back, he pushed with all the extra weight on it and the wook cracked around where the rail fits into it. I had originally asked him to leave everything and I would put it back where it went. I reminded him of this after he showed me the problem. NOW I have discovered another culprit in this action today...my MOTHER is the one who suggest the NAIL be DRIVEN IN!!
Keep in mind that this is not a painter from a business, or an independent...he's the son of a friend of my Mom's...NOW...I'll repeat the question...DO YOU THINK MY HOME OWNERS WILL COVER THIS???

Thanks for all your suggestions..BELIEVE ME...I could have strangled him last night..I would never tell my brother...he would be the first to tell me you get what you pay for!!

I'm off to relax...HELLO TO EVERYONE....Viv ..hope your Dad is feeling a little better.....MELF...keep up updated on your Mom..

BOB
Old 10-17-2001, 09:35 PM   #58  

I havent had time to read,just wanted to get some input here.

I went to fitday.com and put in my daily intake and this is what I got

Totals Calories 1225 Fat 43 carb 108 protein 104

Now I KNOW that this is not enough calories for me. I am not hungry at all though. What about those other numbers? They are all almost equal percentage wise,maybe someone can help me fine tune this diet?

Here is what I had

2 cups of coffee with half and half with Splenda

1/4 cup raw oats
1/4 cup Uncle Sam's cereal
1/4 cup frozen blueberries
1/2 cup milk

snack
about 11 white grapes
10-15 almonds

Lunch
SGWW pita with beef ,lettuce,onion with sour cream/cucumber dressing ( sorta like an gyro)

no afternoon snack

Dinner

Big spinach salad with radishes,avocado,cucumbers,olives,chicken,1/4 cup cheese,light sourcream and salsa.

5 quarts of H2O.

Help!

BTW no loss this week

Liz
Old 10-17-2001, 09:56 PM   #59  

I forgot to add the 3 small tangerines I ate.

Totals calories 1337 fat 44 carb 137 protein 106
Old 10-17-2001, 09:59 PM   #60  
Bustin' Buddy

Hey y'all!

Can you believe 2 nights in a row?!? Do I get a prize for that?

SPARKLE & GATOR: I use Netscape so I may have to consult that "computer geek" friend of mine to help me out here! It is so frustrating! Or - I'll have to look into Internet Explorer.

GATOR: My hubby was telling me that Spurrier was offered LSU at the same time as Florida and he went to Florida. Think how good LSU would be if he would have come here! Maybe he'll be here next. If he would - I would just miss looking at Saban! HAHA!

BOB: Forgot to mention the bed last night - that totally sucks!! I have no idea if your homeowners will cover it. I guess you'll have to pick up the phone and ask!

TREE: Great tips on the clothes but don't you find those tips hard to follow? I don't know about y'all but everytime I walk into Lane Bryant, etc. all I see is crap that fat people shouldn't wear! The clothes all say "HELLO - HERE COMES A FAT PERSON THAT IS TRYING TO WEAR COOL SKINNY PEOPLE CLOTHES!!" They are horrible - the colors, styles, stripes, etc! And I definately don't have time to learn to sew! HAHA! I love shopping - in general - but 1) I'm already depressed cause I'm fat and 2) the clothes all suck!! Anyone else have these same feelings?

DEB: You are so wonderful - you are looking great and such a positive influence on all of us - can you move in with me?!?! I think that will be the only way I can stay on track. It's amazing how just one year ago I wasn't putting anything "toxic" in my body - now I do it all the time! I'm just having such a hard time staying on plan! You feel like coming to South Louisiana any time soon? I could use some shaping up!

Well ladies, maybe I'll see y'all again tomorrow. Sorry I don't have time to post to everyone - you are all so great - I just have NO TIME!!!!

Love ya!
Missy
284/2??/170
Closed Thread