South Beach Diet Fat Chicks on the Beach!

Old 02-28-2010, 07:31 AM   #76  
Working on healthy

Height: 5'5.5

Cottage - Which riser did you buy? DW has been looking at them but was worried about the reviews. Think I'll pick one up for her.
The biking was one of the first games we got hooked on.

Heidi - We love the Free Run Plus! Thanks for the tip.

Do you have must do exercises? I've had a few busy days with just a little time on the Wii (if energy is limited I always do cardio first). I try to get on every day to do a few of the strength exercises - rowing squats, single leg twists, jackknives, plank and a few yoga poses. They aren't the most fun but I've prioritized them. They are still more fun then they would be just doing them without the Wii.
CyndiM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 07:50 AM   #77  

S/C/G: 186/147/135

Height: 5'1"

Cyndi, I ordered mine off Amazon, and it's called Aerobic Step made by CTA.

My "must do's" include the 20 minute free run and I do at least 20 minutes of the advanced step aerobics. I occasionally will do the Hula Hoop if time allows, and I'm going to start working the bike run into my regular routine.
cottagebythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:06 AM   #78  
-

S/C/G: Size 16 to 18/Size 6/I'm there

Height: 5"3" Age: 55

Ok, I set a hula hoop record in my house yesterday....1,773 spins!!! I did miss one hoop throw though. I wonder how many points I racked up in the late 50's and early 60's???

Cottage, yep, I did the lotus thing and got the candle all the way down...ONCE. And haven't been able to do it again.

Last edited by femmecreole; 02-28-2010 at 08:14 AM.
femmecreole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 08:17 AM   #79  
Working on healthy

When you do the step for an extended amount of time do you just keep restarting it or is there a trick I'm missing?

thanks for the info Cottage!
Old 02-28-2010, 09:01 AM   #80  
Be happy.

Linda, I like the advanced step and usually do it a couple of times when I do it. Lately though I've been using free step. I turn off the sound and turn up my iPod because I like to go a little bit faster than the fastest setting and I can do whatever I like, side to side, kicks, off the front, etc. I keep the screen on though so that I can keep an eye on the time and number of steps. I have a great time dancing away. lol

Hey Cat, that's some pretty impressive hula hooping!
Heidi58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 09:31 AM   #81  

S/C/G: 230/220/170

Height: 5 feet 9 inches

Default A new hello and yeah to Wii!

I love the Wii as well! I used to do cycling all the time as it was such a challenge to find all the flags! One time I cycled for a full hour trying to find the final flag and it cut me off! Said I needed to take a break! Ha ha. It allows various levels once you attain the flags etc. Now I can do a free island cycle, sorta like the free island run. (it is a 30 minute cycle)

My other favorite is the Marching parade. Very fun and hard!

My favorite is still the basic walk as I can watch a video or TV and it makes the time fly! Would love more info. on the Aerobics by CTA.

I am new to the site, so hello, and here's to Wii and South Beach!
JoyinHim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2010, 10:18 AM   #82  

Cyndi, I just keep resetting the step aerobics over and over again to get in the minutes I want to do.

Heidi, I like your idea on the free step. I've done it a few times, but could never get it to go as fast as I'd like. I'll have to give your suggestion a try.

Cat, that is very impressive on the Hula Hoops! Isn't that lotus thing a hoot!

JoyinHim, ! Why don't you open a new thread, introducing yourself so more of our Beachers can give you a proper welcome.
My granddaughter, Carley, just loves the Marching Parade, and she's quite good at it, even at just 5 years old!
Old 03-09-2010, 06:58 AM   #83  
Working on healthy

I'm reviving this thread to whine about the Wii Active I just bought This game provides a pretty serious workout. I'm in decent condition these days but after the first 3 days of the 6 week challenge I ache all over, in the good way. I was hesitant to spend more money on Wii toys but Active is bumping up my workouts to the next level. At first I thought it wasn't doing much. The workouts are short, just under 30 minutes including a short warm-up and nice cool down and the upper body exercises use a light band. This morning my body is definitely telling me I've been working out. I am mixing this workout with at least 45m of cardio - either walking or biking and 20-30m of Wii yoga. If it doesn't kill me I should see some benefits from this one
Old 03-11-2010, 02:29 AM   #84  

I purchased the Wii for my youngest for Christmas. I'm still a Wii Newbie. The kids play the sports with the game that was included. Bowling, boxing, tennis, etc. However, we do not have the Wii Fit. I've seen it in the store but not sure what it's all about. Can someone enlighten me so I'll know whether to purchase it or not?

Thanks in advance (TIA)
SunshineCA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:27 AM   #85  
Visualizing the Goal

Height: 5'4"

Joy, welcome! It's good to have you here!

Sunshine, the Wii Fit is a game with accessories that works with the Wii console. The games are all active-type ones. Some are more balance-oriented and some are more aerobic-oriented. There are (I'm guessing here) maybe 25 games that come with the Wii Fit Plus. It tracks your weight and allows you to set weight loss goals. There are also MANY different Wii games you can get that use the balance board that comes with the Wii Fit (Plus) system.

Hope that helps!
tomandkara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 06:27 AM   #86  
Be happy.

I hesitated to buy mine but I'm so glad that I did! I've used it nearly every day since we got it.

I don't play the games much, mostly just to cool down and catch my breath or when I'm finished my workout. They're a lot of fun and I'll do them if someone else wants to play too, but they don't burn many calories and I'm usually in a hurry.

I love the aerobic section and do the step aerobics, running and hula hoop programs a lot. My favorite though is the workout section. I've got a 28 minute strength routine that I do most days and I am noticing a huge difference in my strength and stamina since I started it. You can choose the exercises you want to do and the order you'll do them in and then go through the routine without pauses any time you want. I like being able to personalize the routine because I know which exercises are challenging for me and which ones are easier so I mix them up and get the really tough ones over with early. I sometimes ask the program to set up a routine for me to do instead and that's a nice change too. I enjoy the yoga and play around with that some, but it doesn't burn as many calories so I stick mostly to the strength exercises.

There are a couple of short videos here: wiifit.com

I've got my profile set so that my goal is to burn 310 calories each day (that's equal to a piece of cake). Each time I finish an activity it tells me how many calories I've got left to reach my goal. I love the little celebration music when I get there. lol

Last edited by Heidi58; 03-11-2010 at 06:34 AM.
Old 03-11-2010, 06:33 AM   #87  
Working on healthy

I love the calories idea Heidi and set mine up that way. Of course then I started using Active more so it looks like I never finish my cookie

I also like the basic tennis that came with my Wii.
Old 03-12-2010, 02:52 PM   #88  
having Senior Moments

S/C/G: 265/ticker/145

Height: 5'4"

I've been interested in the wii, and am glad to see all your posts on it. I'd like to know how much floor space you need to do the exercises. Is it basically a small space to work in, or do you need a lot? I have limited floor space in the room I would put one in.

Thanks in advance for any help you can give me.
soiley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2010, 03:34 PM   #89  
Be happy.

My living room is a nice size, but I use my wii upstairs in the guest bedroom so that I don't have to plan my workouts around my DH's favorite TV shows. I'm horrible at estimating so I took my tape measure upstairs to check and the space I use is 64" x 99". I wish I had a little more room -I have to make sure I've got the balance board in the exact middle of the room or I'll bump the bed or shelves when I do my side leg lifts. It works though.

I hesitated about getting mine. Our kids are grown and moved out and my DH and I haven't bothered with a game console since our Atari in the 70's/early 80's. I'm so happy with this though. I use it every day and really enjoy it. I've not had any trouble getting a 'good workout'.

I did try out my sister's wii fit first though, to make sure I'd really like it.

Last edited by Heidi58; 03-12-2010 at 03:58 PM.
Old 03-12-2010, 06:08 PM   #90  

That's one thing I really like about Wii Fit, how little room you need for it. I think as long as you can have about 3'-4' of free space on all sides of the balance board, you should be fine.

Working out with my Wii has been the most enjoyable way of exercising that I've ever done. I'm really glad we invested in one.