Closed Thread

Old 12-07-2019, 01:23 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Default Diabetes and Prediabetes chat Winter 2019/2020

Do you have Diabetes or Prediabetes? Join us here to discuss the difficulties of controling blood sugar and weight. All are welcome!

Follow this link to review the Fall discussion thread.

https://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/dia...ll-2019-a.html

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 12-07-2019 at 01:30 PM.
Old 12-07-2019, 01:34 PM   #2  

Trish, I'm sorry you did not show a loss but at least you are maintaining what you have lost already. It will happen, just be patient. That's good that you did not have toast with your eggs. Vegetables are better. They are low calorie and have fiber to fill you up. Eat lots of veggies and be sure to drink your water.
Old 12-07-2019, 11:23 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

Carol Sue I am so very sorry about your DH nephew. My kids ae in their early 50s and I would be so devastated if anything happened to any of them even the one I never hear from. His parents must really be hurting right now and with this happening right here during the holidays makes it even worst.

I realized tonight when I was entering my food for today on MFP that my biggest problem is that I'm not eating enough fiber. I'm eating allowed foods but they aren't the ones with enough fiber so I really need to change that.
Old 12-08-2019, 08:57 AM   #4  

Trish, DHs brother is a widower and his other two kids are in AZ.. I don't even think his daughter will be able to come for the funeral because her husband is in final stages of cancer treatment. This is his youngest son who died and the one who took him for all his appointments. I feel very bad for him and wish there was more I could do for him. This nephew was always in a lot of trouble as a teen and into adulthood but was a very cute and loveable child. The Christmas season is bringing a lot of memories of him as a child. Heartbreaking when a younger person dies unexpectedly.

I have recently read that your plate should be half low carb vegetables. I am aiming for that but it is hard.
Old 12-08-2019, 12:07 PM   #5  

FBG 125 and weight 212.6. I am going to work at having more fiber. I've read that we need 21 grams for my age and I'm not getting anywhere near that lately. So I will still work at keeping the calories and carbs fairly low, but work for more quality fiber as well. I do need to be eating more veggies and should have gotten some greens at the store yesterday but forgot about them. I really enjoyed the greens my BIL cooked. He is black (Baby sisters Hubby) and they really love their greens and he always has them on the table when he cooks for all of us. Maybe why they are then and healthy. I should follow their lead on that one.

Carol Sue My heart goes out to your BIL. I remember when my grandmother lost her next to the oldest son. He had been the one who took care of her when he was living plus he was everybody's favorite including hers. She had a very hard time when he died and it took her years to get over it. I know she loved her other 7 kids and appreciated it when my Daddy and Mama took over her care when he passed away. She always prayed she would not have to bury another child. It was amazing to me that God took her home one month before her oldest son died. Sounds like that family is having a lot of hardships. I will keep them in my prayers. Does he live near y'all?

Nieces back must be feeling much better as DS texted me a picture of her after she got a new haircut and the 3 of them at the Christmas parade. I am very thankful that the shot seems to have worked since DS and BIL have to come back home today so BIL can go back to work and he has no free time off until the company closes down for 2 weeks at the end of the month.

Not any plans today. Cowboys aren't playing today and we don't get Panthers to watch here. I don't know about the Panthers, but Cowboys seem to be on a loosing streak right now anyway. I'm going to watch Christmas movies until DH gets up.

Hope everyone has a nice day.
Old 12-08-2019, 01:35 PM   #6  

Location: USA (W/SW) 02Nov2019 -10 lbs 07Apr2020 -20 lbs 11Nov2020 -30 lbs 12Oct2021 -30 lbs 28Sep2022 -40 lbs 01Oct2023 -22 lbs(up 18lb)

S/C/G: 0/-41.5/-70 lbs

Cool Whoosh!!!

Carol- I am sorry to hear about your nephew.
Patty- I'm glad to hear it looks like your niece's back seems a bit better.
Mad- That's too bad about the caterer and looking forward to hearing what you learn about fatty liver.

Today I can confirm a 4 pound loss! In my head (not sure if I mentioned it before), I've decided anything above a 2 pound loss can count as a WHOOSH! I am really excited but also somewhat restrained as I know how easy it is for me to re-gain weight and fall off the wagon. Although, I have an additional two pound loss waiting for confirmation next week (yay!). Interestingly, it is a pound and a half above my weight on Friday (boo!). My weight consistently bounces up on weigh-in day. I've thought about changing my weigh-in day but worry that I do even worse on Sundays.

Last week I did a 23 hour fast and an 18 hour fast. I'm not sure if I can really count the 18 hour fast. I had a stomach issue in the middle of the night and one of the things that helps is a half a cup of milk. I think in the strictest sense that disrupted my fast. However, I am still going to count it since I still put in the effort. I have grandiose plans of somehow combining my extended fasts into one giant fast but last week showed me it will be harder than I thought. They were both suppose to be 24 hour fasts. Increasing each to a 36 hour fast first seem within a reasonable possibility. I am feeling a degree of dissatisfaction with my fasting journey as FBS and BP are still too high. I now look at fasting as more of a tool to reduce my overall calorie intake rather than one that will improve my metabolic indicators. Exercise last week was somewhat minimal. I only went to the gym twice, ice skated once and walked once. Hey- that's more than I thought!

On Friday night, we did the Santa train in our area. It was a lot of fun and I got some nice video from the train. We made up our Christmas photo card and got those ordered. Today we are going to get our tree. I signed up for secret Santa at work. I thought it would be fun but now I am feeling a bit anxious and worried. I want to pick just the right things. The person who's name I drew is very nice so I can't really go wrong.

My hubby was asking what I thought the one thing was that was helping me lose the weight this go-around. I can't really name just one thing but I think the top two are the supplements I am taking (has ended my energy seeking eating) and eating more fiber. I also think sleep is incredibly important. Really hoping I can sail into the new year with a solid loss under my now slightly smaller belt.

Winter thread results summary: (new symbol for whoosh for > 2 lb loss)
Old 12-08-2019, 05:45 PM   #7  

Pipsicle Congratulations on your 4 lb whoosh. Your hard work is paying off and you are enjoying your exercise, etc. Good for you.

I found a list of high fiber foods. No wonder they want us to eat almonds, avocados and black beans. They are pretty high in fiber and I would think quality fiber at that. I also want to pick out some of the high fiber foods that even DH will eat as he needs to do that too.

Strange thing is that I recently got a newsletter from one of the health articles I get that said people my age should have only 21 grams of fiber, but this pdf that I copied says work toward 30 to 40. Another interesting thing is that I notice that the reason bariatrics says whole wheat instead of multigrain should be is probably because whole wheat has more fiber. So I guess when I finish this multigrain that I buy that I will have to see if I can find a low calorie/carb whole wheat bread. I don't guess I've ever paid that much attention to fiber except to lower carb counts.

Old 12-08-2019, 07:04 PM   #8  

Good job on the whoosh, Pipsicle! And the exercise! You are doing great showing a loss every week.

Trish, be sure to add fiber gradually so as not to get abdominal cramps. I try to eat avocado but I can't eat more than once in a while.

I'm glad your niece is feeling better. Greens are a southern thing. Not as many people up north eat them. But they are very healthy.
Old 12-09-2019, 06:27 AM   #9  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

I overate this weekend and did not fast as planned. I did most of my cooking for supper last night, on Saturday. This was so we could go see DD on Sunday morning for brunch, got home about 2 pm. I did the final prep for supper then. But it turns out that cooking stufff is very difficult when you can't taste the food you are cooking.
On the fasting groups, where people who are fasting are cooking for their families, there is a lot about this. I was not able to do it.
We did find a great bakery for the pie crusts though. I made tourtière, which is a french-canadien meat pie. The pastry is more fragile without a gluten flour, but tasted quite good. My GF gravy for it also turned out well. I wanted to make that because its a Christmas tradition in my family. I did stay off all alcohol this weekend, did not want to stress my liver. I was still eating (dessert) at 1030 pm, so I actually still feel full.
My weight this morning as a result is 156. I know it won't stay so high but its the starting point this week.
Pipsicle, I think you will not find that your biometric indicators will change with IF until you get some significant loss, like about 5% of your body weight. Have you read Penn Jillette's book "Presto, how I made 100 pounds disappear". It is NOT a how to diet book, however, and doesn't give you much info about what he actually did to lost the weight, but I think it was a form of IF, he just isn't very specific. He was on many BP meds, and went off them one by one as he lost the weight. It is an interesting read. Get it from the library if you can, he is interesting on a number of levels, but the weight loss he managed was inspiring, at least for me.

Carol: I am so sorry about your nephew. That is a big shocker when such things happen. Does he have a family beside his Dad and siblings? I hope weather doesn't affect plans for the funeral either.
Trish: hope you can chat with your father soon again. Its been so important for you to have made this move to be closer to him and you are enjoying your family so much where you are now.

Start of a new week everyone: enjoy
Old 12-09-2019, 12:05 PM   #10  

Nephew has 3 adult children, estranged from one since he was a child, and I preteen daughter from whom he is estranged. 3 exwives, one deceased. Aren't you sorry you asked? He was not a good father figure. He had been living with a girlfriend who threw him out and now living with his daughter. We suspect his death was drug related, as was the deceased wifes. I shouldn't say that because we don't know for sure. But he was a loveable child who went wrong somehow. Rain is predicted for the funeral. DH was his godfather.

I had a wonderful surprising cardiologist appointment today. Going by how i feel, the results of the treadmill exercise test and the heart monitor I wore, he said he will see me in 6 months and decide then if I need the valve procedure. Merry Christmas to me!
Old 12-09-2019, 02:25 PM   #11  

Weight is coming back down. Oh why is it so easy to add it back on but so slow coming back down. Yuck. But it is coming down if it is by small fractions. 212.2 this morning. FBG was good at 114 so no complaints there.

I am finally able to get on the bariatic app and get it to work although for some reason when I put 2 eggs in it only shows 1. DS is back and will call me later so maybe she can help me. One thing I do like on the app is it shows a pie divided to show what percentage of fat, protein and carbs you are getting as well as the amount of fiber and water on either side of that. So it is easy to keep up with that. It is easy to log because I can speak to the app and it prints it so no typing. I think once I get used to it that I will enjoy logging. There is a place where I can also track my weight each time I go to the office and weigh. I'll be surprised if I show any weight loss at all this time. It is supposed to be cold and raining tomorrow so I will go straight there and right back home. I hate it when it rains on Tuesday because Daddy probably won't get to go to Walmart this week.

I am trying to get back to my 2 meals and ?snack? as I would rather do just 2 meals a day again. I do notice that I am eating half my calories in fat and not sure they will like that at all. I did manage to get the fiber up to 16 grams. I've already planned my food for today and tracked it. DS says she doesn't ask them about what she can eat. She just logs it. I think I'm going to do the same thing since I want to IF with 2 meals and an occasional snack.

Mad I understand how hard it is to cook and not be able to taste. I had that problem when I made the deviled eggs for Thanksgiving so I ended up cutting my fast shorter than I had planned that day. I'm sure that weight will come back down soon.

Carol Sue That is great news about the valve surgery and such a successful appointment. Soon after DH and I married in 2003, he was told that he needed a valve replacement, but we opted not to do it but to change his diet and he started taking supplements per an article his daughter found by a cardiologist that lived and worked in Miami. We even went to see him but because DH had no insurance he wasn't interested in helping us and said that his regimen would help DH but it wouldn't help either. That was 17 yrs ago this coming March. That doctor was wrong. With a his regimen and lots of prayer, DH has no sign of ever having the problem. We found that out when we had to see a cardiologist to get the okay for his prostate surgery about 13 or 14 yrs ago. So just maybe with your diet and exercise, etc, you may not ever need that surgery either.

I'm sorry about your nephews life and relationships with his children etc. It is so sad when kids get on drugs etc and never seem to be able to shake it. Prayers for you, DH and family.

Old 12-09-2019, 03:10 PM   #12  

Trish, I probably had this defective valve from birth because a doctor first mentioned it when I was in high school. I started getting echocardiogram to watch it. When I had my heart surgery they were going to replace it but they didn't because although it was leaking, it was mild. I have had echos 1-2 times per year since then. It was last year that another doctor told me it was time to replace it. Then this year when my own doctor checked it he said it is still moderate but very close to being severe. I don't think that what I have wrong is something that will go away with diet and exercise. I can only try the best I can and see what happens. If I start to get symptoms I might have to get it done sooner.

I hope the changes you are making help you start to lose again. We are all different and they can't expect the same results from everyone.
Old 12-09-2019, 11:02 PM   #13  

I did only a 5 hour eating window today. I am thrilled. 2MAD no snack.

Goodnight
Old 12-10-2019, 07:24 AM   #14  

That's great, Trish. I hope you get a drop!

Mad, after your comment about Penn Gilette I was curious so I googled. It is very impressive that he lost 105 lbs in 100 days by being determined and sticking to it. In a way, that's the way to do it, just get it overwith. But it is debatable as to whether it was healthy. The first 2 weeks he ate nothing but plain potatoes. More intense than the potato hack which should only be done in 3-5 day increments. Then he added other vegetables and did all plant based. It didn't sound as if he combined in such a way to get proper plant protein. No animal products at all, 1000 calories per day, OMAD in a 1 hour period. And he continues to eat that way in maintenance. I know you can be healthy eating plant based but its tricky to get protein. I would love to do that, only needing to lose 50 lbs or so but doubt if I have the discipline. I wonder if you could lose that way but transition back to add animal products in maintenance. Actually, you can do anything you set your mind to do. Weight lost fast like that is harder to maintain, like the Biggest Loser contestants.

By the way, I went to bed at 10, got up at 6:30 with no potty breaks! That is remarkable for me. I drank very little water yesterday. I may be down a bit on the scale due to dehydration.
​​​​

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 12-10-2019 at 10:48 AM.
Old 12-10-2019, 09:41 AM   #15  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

good morning, that uptick is going down with 153 fasting this am.
Carol: I agree, re Penn Gillette. I don't think that his weight loss method was great. However, its important to remember, that fasting takes away a LOT of nutrients, yet long term studies are not showing significant malnutrition. We fat people have a lot of stored nutrition in that fat, its fine to use it up. He also had significant issues with low blood sugar and needed glucose tablets before going into shows. However, he was being closely monitored by physicians. I mention him because it was how that very significant weight loss affected his blood pressure quite profoundly.
Pipsicle is dealing with prediabetes and significant BP issues, so I just wanted to illustrate that it takes some significant weight loss to hit the BP levels.
I want to celebrate every pound removed, for all of us, and never be judgemental. I think Pipsicle is doing great and finding a path that suits her,
I read the book, and it frankly convinced NOT to do things how her did. But science and reading convinced me that IF was a good way that was safer. I also had support from my doctor. I feel very fortunate about that, because not all docs get it.

Hope everyone has a good day, I'm going for my walk now.
Closed Thread