Closed Thread

Old 01-04-2020, 07:28 AM   #151  
Madeleine

S/C/G: sw187/cw152/gw140

Height: 5 ft 3.5 in or 163 cm

Ahh Trish, that's so hard. I just want to reassure that some of the confusion really is the infection. My own Dad got confused when sick. The elderly get dehydrated very easily as well, which causes confusion, and it seems to take a while for the mind to straighten out again once rehydrated and not sick anymore.
So if he gets well again, with time, he will go back to normal or close to normal for him.

Weight today back to 152 after my fast. Looking forward to some good food today, plan to make a salad and have some yogurt. It will be time to make some yogurt again this weekend.
I am enjoying all the outings with Buddy, and he seems happy here. Today he has a short playdate with a friend's dog. These friends come most Saturdays for tea and bring their little dog, Pippin. He is quite afraid of DD dog Sadie, so they don't bring Pippin when we have Sadie. But it goes better outside. So we will have Buddy meet Pippin outside. Maybe another day after a walk we will take Buddy to their place. Then have Pippin visit eventually. Its all a little hard to navigate. In any case, it sure gets me out of my head obsessing about food. So much else to think about.

Hope everyone else has a good weekend friends
Old 01-04-2020, 08:07 AM   #152  

S/C/G: 217/179/142

Height: 5'2

Trish, I'm so sorry to hear of your Dads confusion. DH doesn't know his cell phone number at all. And sometimes he can't remember the landline number. He is lucky to have me with him most of the time, LOL. It's really a shame that they gave him the wrong meds all that time.

Mad, that's nice that Buddy will have a playmate. Our dog ignores other dogs. He grew up in a house over run with dogs and that's why all 60 of them ended up in the shelter. And since there were so few people in his life he is very fearful of people. He is getting better with those who come to our house but no one can approach him and pet him unless one of us holds him. He will not even take a treat from anyone but us. Very fearful. It's surprising that he is great at the vet! He lets them do anything. I know I would be cautious of someone who sticks a thermometer in my butt!!

Do you happen to know how Buddy came to be in the shelter?

Yesterday coming up the stairs I twisted my knee and it hurts. It never bends well but doesn't usually hurt. It's always something. I will wear my knee brace for a while.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-04-2020 at 08:09 AM.
Old 01-04-2020, 12:04 PM   #153  

S/C/G: 221/180/150

Height: 5'2 1/4"

7Carol Sue and Mad Thanks so very much for your encouragement. I was able to talk to Daddy this morning now that he has his phone but he didn't want to talk much. Confused and thinks he isn't paying his way. He thinks DS is paying everything. She talked to him too. She said they took him down to their day room I guess you would call it and he asked them if they were cold. She said he felt cold. We don't know if his body is shutting down or if it is just the infection. He told her that he was ready to go but she told him she wasn't ready but told him that probably wasn't fair to him and she knew she should let him go. We just aren't sure how this is going to go. Taking it one day at a time. He does still get up and even went to the dining room to eat breakfast this morning. So we will see.

Mad So glad you are enjoying your puppy. He sure helps you get your exercise. glad the weight is coming back off for you. You are good at working your IF plan.

Carol Sue I twisted my knee when I lived in SC and took a while for it to heal. I hope the pain goes away soon.

FBG was back to 117 this morning and weight 206.6. So things are moving again. Doing IF again really helps.

We are going to go see Daddy this afternoon. I told him I know he doesn't feel like company so we won't stay long but I want to keep his fingernails cut because they are so hard for me to cut if they get too long. We plan to just come back home after since I don't want to go to the store on the weekend. I think I will wait and go Wednesday after I get my shot.

Have a nice day everybody.

Last edited by pattygirl63; 01-04-2020 at 01:51 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 01:57 PM   #154  

My new scale came today. I can weigh on it but haven't figured out how to do the rest of the things it is supposed to do. It weighed me 2 lbs more than my other scale but it was after eating and a couple cups of coffee. I read online that it took other people a lot of trial and error to get it figured out.

EDIT: I read about the scale online and finally got it all set up. I'm not happy about what it says, though!

I just realized I am out of G. I can't figure out why. I thought it was on auto fill. I get it filled at the same time as Metformin and I have plenty of Metformin. If I misplaced them I don't know where I put them.

Edit 2: I called my rx in to Wal-Mart and they got it ready right away so we went out and got it. DH wanted some donuts anyway. Now I'm all set.
​​​​​

Trish, I am so glad you are doing so well. You have never had this much success in such a short time since ive known you!

I feel sad for your Dad. He sounds so unhappy.

Last edited by Wannabehealthy; 01-04-2020 at 05:19 PM.
Old 01-04-2020, 06:28 PM   #155  

Carol Sue Glad you got your new scale and was able to get it set up. I didn't like what mine showed when I first got it but it is nice to know that when I step on it that it is more accurate. Glad you were able to get the G so you can keep you BS on track.

Went to see Daddy. We talked to Daddy's nurse. I sure like him because he loves Daddy and really takes good care of him and takes time to explain things to us. He said that the ER had called him yesterday and said the infections he has is resistant to the Cepro so they put him on Omnicef now. They think it will know it out but I read online that if it doesn't work that he will have to go to the hospital for intravenous antibiotics. I hope it works. I asked how long it will be before we will see a difference if it is working and he said he should start feeling better in a few days.

We didn't plan to stay long but he really perked up when he saw us. He wanted DH to work on his pc and then he wanted to talk. He asked why he gave up his car and I explained that DS gave him their car to drive and as usual he wishes he hadn't given it up. I explained to him about his money so that he knows that he is paying his own way through Medicare, SS, retirement and insurance. That seemed to give him peace of mind. He asked if my baby sister knew he was sick and I told him yes. I called her and told her he has his phone again so she call him. They are going out of state for a week and she said they would try to go by and see him before they leave, but she will call him regardless.

He saw an add for Cajun food and asked me to get money out of his money from DS and get him some. I don't know what he is talking about or anything about Cajun food so DBIL knows where to get and will take it to him. I think it is a good sign that he is hungry. A lot of places deliver now so DS and I decided we could order food and have it delivered to him. So far things looks like he may be getting better. At this age, you just don't always know.
Old 01-04-2020, 08:07 PM   #156  

Trish I signed into MFP today and was surprised to see that my new scale also recorded my weight on there! I was surprised it did it, and that I didn't do anything to make it do it. I know that MFP syncs to Fitbit so maybe that is why. So I am so happy with this scale!! I just hope it continues working. Some people online said theirs quit after a while. Maybe this will give me incentive to try harder.

It sounds like your Dad is in good spirits. That makes me happy. I had to have intravenous antibiotics in the hospital. They worked great. I hope the one they switched him to is working. I don't even know what Cajun food is but I hope he gets some. I will google.
Old 01-04-2020, 11:46 PM   #157  

Carol Sue I don't know what Cajun food is either. I know it is spicy and I can't eat spicy any more and DH doesn't like.

That is interesting how your scale works with MFP. I hope you got a good scale that will continue to work.

I did another 8 hr eating window so hopefully this is becoming a habit that will turn in to a lifestyle.
Old 01-05-2020, 06:06 AM   #158  

From what I read, Cajun food is from Louisiana area. It has a certain spiciness which DH and i don't care for. Recipes like jumbalaya, gumbo, red beans and rice, hoppin john, black eyed peas and it uses a lot of sausage and shrimp and crawfish. I guess if you made your own you could control the spice. Popeye Chicken is cajun.
Old 01-05-2020, 08:17 AM   #159  
Madeleine

HI gang: up a bit to 154 today. I thought I did ok with eating yesterday, 8 hr window and on plan. I did however eat a Keto dessert (home made cream brûlée) left over from Christmas. Also only had about 5 hrs sleep. So should be better again tomorrow, especially if I stay fasted as planned.
I can't really do less than an 8 hr window I find with the alternate day fasting, because I eat quite a bit when I break the fast. I basically eat a bit and stop, then eat more, until I am not hungry. This usually takes about an hour at least, maybe a little more. But then I am quite full, and I need the window to get hungry again, and make a good meal. Last night I made devilled eggs because DH loves them and we realized we had not eating the eggs I hard cooked at Christmas.
I also made us a nice big green salad to go with it, so we both had lots of greens. I feel like we have not been eating enough of that lately.

Trish: cajun food was quite a trend for a while around here. We had a couple of places, and they did well for a while, but then went out of business. The new trend is southern BBQ, but for me, I don't like the smoky flavour. We had two places for that. One closed down, because the landlord jacked up the rents and the owner wanted to devote to the other place. Since he owned both, doesn't seem to count as closing for lack of business. The people who really love will go to wherever its available, I think. I hope you Dad gets to enjoy some cajun food at some point.
These resistant UTIs are scary, and its why I went off my anti-depressant meds for a while, and now take one that doesn't have as strong a side effect of urinary retention as the SSRIs. I had one that took 3 rounds of antibiotics to clear, and I was worried that I would eventually get one that would be even more resistant. I hope this med will work for him.

Carol: so glad you like the new scale. I have one that should measure body fat etc, but at some point it stopped working for that, and my efforts to reprogram it failed. It seems to work fine as a scale though, so I keep it.

Blessings to everyone else, and hope you are having a good weekend.
Old 01-05-2020, 11:43 AM   #160  

Mad I have an older scale that measures body fat and water that I bought at Goodwill for a few dollars. I never used it a lot because the only place I can use it is on tile. It's too big to stay in the bathroom so I was carrying it around. This one does more, shows visceral fat and subcutaneous fat, bone, BMI which I know are estimates at best but I like the fact that it enters my weight to Fitbit and also MFP. It cost under $30. It weighs me a little more than 1 lb over my other scale, but I know I can manipulate the balance beam, so I consider it a match.

I have been trying to avoid sauces and gravies so southern BBQ is out for me. DH doesn't like it so I only have it occasionally. This area has mostly eastern European cuisine because of our population and a lot of Italian. There's a big Asian and Indian population in a town about 15 miles away so that's popular too. DH will eat neither. He is a steak and potatoes eater, with an emphasis on potatoes.
Old 01-05-2020, 12:32 PM   #161  

Carol Sue I like gumbo but DH wouldn't eat it so I don't even think about it. I like BBQ but DH doesn't care for it and I got out of the habit of eating it when we lived in SC. Besides it usually has too much sugar so I don't eat it any more. DS doesn't like BBQ so when we go out we never think about going any place where they have it. When we lived in SC, we finally got a Popeye Chicken place in Rock Hill. We wanted to try it but took a few months before you could go and not wait among a block or more of cars. I was excited because I had missed real Southern Fried Chicken. Back then I could eat the spiced foods with no problem but I was so disappointed when we finally got to try it. Not only was the chicken to hot but so were the fries plus I felt like the only thing they were doing was make it hot without any flavor. Now there is no way I can eat really spicy food because it gives me indigestion.

Haven't been able to get Daddy today but it just means he is out and about in the facility and I always consider that a good thing because he is moving around. One thing about Daddy is that if he can be active at all no matter how sick he is he will not be still. The day he won't get out of bed any more we will know things are really going down hill.

Weight bounced up .6 lb from our McDs meal so that is much better than the 2 lbs it used to rise. I think IF is the big help there. I am fasting today and don't know when I will break the fast. So far not hungry. It would be nice to be able to fast until 3ish but since I'm also trying to do more of IE along with this, I just take it as it goes. I realized yesterday when I had the CB which I take the meat and chees off the bun and put on 100% whole wheat bread why it is better to use it instead of the multigrain bread. It makes you feel full where as the multigrain does not. I could not eat the whole burger. I threw about 1/4 of it down the garbage disposal. Although it is higher calorie, I may use it. However, I will try the SL whole wheat bread when I run out of this last loaf of higher calorie bread.

FBG is coming back down again. It was 110 this morning and of course I will check it again just before I actually break my fast. I don't remember what it was when I broke it yesterday, but it was less than 110. I will continue with the 8:16 or less way of IF.

Have a blessed day everyone.
Old 01-05-2020, 01:39 PM   #162  

Location: USA (W/SW) 02Nov2019 -10 lbs 07Apr2020 -20 lbs 11Nov2020 -30 lbs 12Oct2021 -30 lbs 28Sep2022 -40 lbs 01Oct2023 -22 lbs(up 18lb)

S/C/G: 0/-41.5/-70 lbs

Smile Ticker changing day!

Trish- I am glad to hear that your Dad is doing better!
Carol- Your new scale sounds like it will be a great tool!
Mad- Hope you get more sleep!

This morning I was able to confirm a pound and a half loss and my FBG was 100 (so very close to normal). My BP is still higher than it should be. So I added another fast on Saturday but it may have been too much. Yesterday, I ate way too much after my fast. Although, it had the desired result of allowing me to post a loss today. I was thinking it was going to be a third fast for the week. However, I forgot I also already fast on Fridays (in addition to my longer Tuesday and Thursday fasts). The Friday fasts are usually fairly short, ~15 hours, but can be as long as 19 hours. I'm also having a delayed holiday effect. Last Sunday, I bought a bunch of holiday treats that I skipped earlier in the season. In addition, I bought some Atkins candy bars which I think may help me with my sweet tooth. I am surprised at how much fiber they contain.
Tomorrow I have a doctor's appointment to get my thyroid medicine renewed. I have a lot of anxiety about it.

My husband is working on getting healthier too. As a result, we have been going to our rec center more often to exercise and it has been really nice. We have a community center that is closer to us. It has been undergoing major construction for almost two years and will not open until this fall. I will be happy to have it open again.

Hope everyone has a good week.

Winter thread results summary:
Old 01-06-2020, 07:08 AM   #163  
Madeleine

Hi everyone: I did eat OMAD yesterday, because I am fasting today, since I have a friend here tomorrow and we are going out to supper. Just juggling the fasting.
So I am down a pound to 153 even. Doing fine.

Pipsicle so happy for you that things are continuing in a downward trend. I hope your doctors appointment goes well. Did you have blood work before that?
I am glad for you that your DH is going along on the improving health ride and exercising with you a bit. Its nice to not feel alone on the journey. My DH has been coming on some of my walks with Buddy.

Have a good monday friends
Old 01-06-2020, 09:44 AM   #164  

Pipsicle, it sounds like you are on the way to where you should be. Being in tune with healthier habits, which lead to weight loss and better health. And if DH is in it with you, that's a plus.

Mad, I hope Buddy is adjusting to life at your home. Is he eating and sleeping? Has he chosen his "spot?". Our dog hid under the dining room table the first week. He still goes there sometimes. I think it makes him feel safe and he can see what's going on in our open concept home. Otherwise he likes to be where I am.

Trish, I like pulled pork if I can control the amount of sauce. At a party, a woman served the sauce on the side so I could just take a tiny bit for taste. At Texas Roadhouse theirs is already in the sauce and they will give extra sauce but not less. We also have Smokey Bones here but we only went there once to try it. Once was enough. Being near the PA turnpike we have every restaurant imaginable but most we don't go to. I tried Popeyes once but it was no big deal to me. DH wouldn't even try it. We like basic homestyle food. Many places give a huge meal which is too much for us. We just got an ad from Bob Evans and they have some new smaller meals for $7.99. I am looking forward to trying them. All I talk about is food! LOL

I am going to try to fast until dinner today, which is around 4.
Old 01-06-2020, 10:16 AM   #165  

Today on the Doctors they are talking about a high meat diet. They said the problem in America is not about not enough protein but not enough fiber. Eat more veggies.
Closed Thread