Closed Thread

Old 07-21-2005, 09:41 AM   #61  
Southside White Sox Fan

Kathy, you are so clever and creative. I would never have the patience do make those covers. What a great idea though for favors. We've used the candy bar ones before for the Great Nephew's birth. They turned out adorable.

You needed sleep so I'm glad you got it.
Old 07-21-2005, 09:48 AM   #62  
Melissa

Hey chicks. Thanks for the welcome back! It sounds like I missed a lot, though I haven't caught up yet.
I'm back at work, and so tired! Oh well, I guess that's the way it goes.
I am trying to get back on track eating-wise. I probably need your help! I ate pretty well while I was gone. I was Floring it I guess. Tried to stick close to core though, as possible. I weighed myself this morning (couldn't resist!) right after I got out of the shower. I was wet and up a pound. So maybe that was just water weight.
Well I better get to work. I have a lot to do. Just wanted to say hi and ask that you guys use a few rolling pins on my head to get me going again.
I'll be back later!
Old 07-21-2005, 10:01 AM   #63  
Southside White Sox Fan

Melissa, I bet you aren't really up a pound. But, if you really think that the rolling pins will help, then here you go! You actually seem like you are pretty well on track except for breakfast!
Old 07-21-2005, 11:39 AM   #64  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Default Today's Challenge!

Welcome back Melissa - now that you have enjoyed those pop tarts it is time to say farewell to that icky stuff and back to the good and healthy eating...or else!!! Sounds like you did okay while away and I know how hard it is to get back into the groove at work - believe me - I am still wishing I was on vacation!

Vickie - don't sweat it about the weight - esp as you know it's not something you did wrong - just one of those things that your body has to give up when it's ready - if anyone has shown strength and determination on this journey - it's you - and you continue to inspire all of us!

Kathy - rest as much as you need to and don't worry so much about the house (advice I should also be taking?). Great idea to get the carpet cleaners in and sounds like Judd can be put to work when required! Those wrapper things look adorable and you are one of the most creative people I know!

Angela - hope the cat food is still intact? And I hope you can try and relax on your vacation! and I too would feel lost without my van!

Sandra - glad you are enjoying the manicure/pedicure - sorry you don't like the hairdo but the good news is - it will grow back?

I did drink a lot of water yesterday and trying hard to focus on Sat WI to keep me on track. I am pretty concerned about this afternoon as we have a monthly wine & cheese party at work and today's the day!

Last month I really PIGGED OUT and had dips and crackers and cheese and wine - but I think I did not eat dinner when I got home cuz I was still full! I really can't afford to do that right now as it will undo all the good work I've done this week so here is my strategy:
1) Eat a good lunch - fill up on it so I won't be hungry and tempted to overindulge.
2) Lay off the wine/alcohol - this always clouds my judgement and encourages me to eat whatever I want
3) Bring my baggie of baby carrots with me along with a diet pepsi - at least I can munch and drink with the rest of them
4) Choose carefully if I eat anything - I think there will be fresh fruit so I will have some of that if I want it.

I weighed myself this morning (melissa - you have to do it before the shower so the water does not weigh you down! ) and scale looks down from Monday so I am staying focussed on this number in order to avoid temptation.

Wish me luck!

Frouf
Old 07-21-2005, 04:06 PM   #65  

Well, I made it through the picnic with no damage. The Hawaiian barbecue was pretty Core/SB friendly, so I just had meat and salad and not terribly much of that. I'll be able to eat a decent-sized dinner. I don't know how well the SB thing is working. I was down half a pound this morning, so we'll see.

I read something kind of interesting in the NY Times this morning. Apparently, weight training isn't the big metabolism booster everyone claims. First, because most women don't train hard enough to gain more than a few pounds of muscle and second, because muscle doesn't burn as many more calories as most fitness gurus claim. They concluded that you should focus on aerobic exercise. I'm not sure if I'm disappointed or relieved. I should do some resistance training, just to look better in certain areas, but I'm feeling less guilty about never getting around to it.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:12 PM   #66  
focused and aiming

good morning. i'm out of my funk this morning. i think it was more my hair than my weight that had me reeling with those photos yesterday. curtis reminded me i always like my hair better when i do it a couple of days or so after the cut. he's right. anyway, we are taking one photo to the archery shop today for their bulletin board. i'll take them a better one later. (i hope i get a better photo. this is depressing if it's as good as it gets.)

i stayed on core yesterday and am feeling positive about it today. last night i walked 2.5 miles on the treadmill while watching tv. my feet held up great. i'm going to aim at 3 miles this evening. (2.5 at the least)

kathy, i'm proud of judd for mowing. it's too hot here to cook dinner, too. last night i just had some fruit. curtis nuked lo's.

angela, curtis gets worked up before trips, too. i'll bet you don't get as grouchy as he does. when are you leaving for your grandmothers'? how long will you be gone? will you be able to get online?

kathy, your project for your patient sounds cute. you're a clever gal. i didn't know you have ms. we have a neighbor friend who does, too. it amazes me how she works and works, especially in the yard. i think she's in better health than i am. i can tell you're the same way. i know you outwork me a lot.

melissa girl, i missed you sooooooooo much. i'm sending you some cyber boinks. let me know if they help. wi is tomorrow. i'm sort of excited. even with all my whining, groaning, moaning, and carrying on, i was only off program one day. that's amazing for me. it was perfect "tailspin" weather for me. i'm actually hoping for a loss tomorrow. i'll bet your pound was water weight. don't you have sort of long hair? (medium anyway?) that would hold a lot of water i'd imagine. i'll be watching for your post in the am. won't it be amazing if we still weigh the same?

frouf, you have a fantastic plan for the wine party today. good for you. okay, let's keep focused on those wi's. mine is tomorrow. i know the scales just reflect a small part of what we're accomplishing, but wouldn't it be great to get that added perk? i have to commend you. you've had (and still have) a lot of activities going on. it would have been easy for you to put ww on hold--but you didn't! way to go, girl!!!!
Old 07-21-2005, 04:15 PM   #67  
focused and aiming

cher, that's interesting. i've been resisting doing weight training. now i have a better excuse. i enjoy walking on the treadmill, especially if something's on tv that i want to watch.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:16 PM   #68  
Card Carrying Princess

S/C/G: 225/197/150

Congrats on surviving the picnic Cher!

Our party is over and I did not do too badly - I had some veggie potato chips (had to try a few), fruit (strawberries), about 6 nacho chips w/salsa and a fried Indian cheese thing made by a co-worker - but the great part was the diet pepsi strategy really worked. Those bubbles sure do fill you up and I was actually bloated and fill and could not eat any more anyways.

I have another bottle of water at my desk and the remainder of a can of diet coke and will not eat "dinner" until I feel empty/hungry. I hope no one is expecting a big dinner tonight cuz I sure don't feel like cooking. Will get dh to broil the salmon, but I know there is also some leftover pizza and spaghetti sauce in the fridge so this should be enuf for all.

Still very hot out - I did not walk at lunch and will considering walking tonight if possible.

Frouf
Old 07-21-2005, 04:35 PM   #69  
Southside White Sox Fan

Well, I'm back from the Doctor. He didn't yell and he didn't put me on medicine either. He told me to cut back some more on red meat and eggs. I admitted that I've been eating alot of steaks and eggs. Even lean, he thinks steaks aren't so great. He said I didn't have to go crazy but to try to cut back. He just told me to keep on doing what I'm doing and was very happy about my 43 pounds down. My BP wasn't down at all! Still 130 over 80, and that's with medication. I told him I was very disappointed after 10 months on Core. I expected my BP and cholesterol to plummet. He said it doesn't work that way for everyone. Evidently, I've been overweight so long this time that my body doesn't really believe that I'm serious yet! So, I go back in about 3 months and will get cholesterol checked again. Jim had a good check up too so I should be happy.

BTW, today is my 10 month anniversary on Core. The time has gone by very quickly. Now if I can just make my 50 pound goal by Labor Day and my 52 pound goal by my one year WW anniversary. Then I'll feel successful.

Thanks, Frouf. You ALWAYS make me feel better. It's wonderful to have you here. I'm so glad you survived your party. Work functions were always hard for me. It's really cool that you can take small tastes of things now and be satisfied where in the past you would really have over-indulged. I'm hearing that it is hot just about everywhere. I can't get in my pool today but will spend all of tomorrow afternoon in there after I run my errands. I'm sure all the stuff you are doing to get ready for your party will count as exercise, right?!

So Sandra, what did you do to your hair? Did you get a different cut than usual? My hair doesn't behave the next day after a cut either. Seems like it is freaked out and won't style. I hope you like yours better as they days go by. It's amazing that you are walking 2.5 miles on the treadmill. I'm lucky if I go 1.75 miles. Do you think it would be better for me to walk fast or to walk further? I never know what to do. Right now I'm at 3.0 mph and don't think I could go any faster. I tried to walk 3.5 for a little while today and my legs wanted to cramp! How pathetic is that?

Cher, sounds like you conquered the party. Way to go! I hadn't heard this new information on weight training. I feel like I should be doing something besides walking but haven't figured out what yet. I guess I need to be inspired. Is anyone still using their DDR?

I had a small lunch and just finished my smoothie about 30 minutes ago. I'm already starting to feel hungry. I've been very hungry the last couple of days. We are going to an early dinner and will probably be leaving in about 45 minutes.

Melissa and Sandra, good luck on your weigh ins tomorrow. Here's a couple of blinks for each of you. . Keep your fingers crossed for me. I'm going to a 10:30 meeting tomorrow.

I guess Terry got the baby and that's why we haven't heard from her. Can't wait to see pictures and hear details! Talk with you all later.

Last edited by Vickie; 07-21-2005 at 04:38 PM.
Old 07-21-2005, 04:50 PM   #70  
focused and aiming

frouf, wheet whewwwwwwwwwwwww! (attempt to type wolf whistle). way to go, girl. you are really on top of things. i'm proud of you. not surprised by your good choices but proud.

vickie, sounds like you got a good report at the doctor's. i think you're right about your body probably needing a little more time to adjust. congrats to jim, too. don't you love it that you're working together to get healthier? as to my hair--it's super short. i told her i wanted "sassy" and sassy's what i got. it's a super short neckline. it was spiked all over yesterday. i've toned it down today. curtis told me this morning it looked better (and it was wet!!!) like frouf said, it will grow back. i have been enjoying the short style but am starting to miss my ponytail a bit. i don't know what i'll do next time. i go back in 3 weeks for a cut and manicure. time will tell.

happy anniversary, vickie!!!!!!!!!!!!!! reading your post made me reflect on where i was 10 months ago. i think i was about 10 lbs lighter then. oh, well, i'm heading in the right direction now. you and i were just talking about our "red meat" the other day. good success to you on cutting down. do you like grilled pork chops?

i don't walk fast on the treadmill. last night i did 2.5 mph. i will eventually work up to 3.0 but i don't know about walking any faster. my thinking (and i may be wrong) is that it would be better to go at a lower pace and walk longer. (i'm prob wrong cuz that won't get your heart rate up, will it?) i guess my thinking is that i need to go slow enough to be able to watch tv.

thanks for the blinks. i have everything crossed for you tomorrow. good success at wi.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:25 PM   #71  
focused and aiming

i just changed my profile photo to show you what i look like now. the old photo was me about 5 years ago and about 30 lbs lighter. this one is current. we took it yesterday. frouf, i'm glad my hair will grow. i'm going to have my stylist change it to something a little "tamer" next time. anyway, this is me now.
Old 07-21-2005, 05:44 PM   #72  

Height: 5'7"

Good afternoon all! Well, first ... little DD is totally freaked out right now. She just got a subpoena to testify in that trial. Poor girl is about to pass out! She hates talking in front of people and will be as nervous as can be. I might see if she wants me to go with her; I don't know if that would make things better or worse. We'll see.

The carpet cleaner just left and it looks good. Now we have to keep it like that for at least 26 hours until poker starts tomorrow. Oh and until Monday and after that boyfriend leaves.

I'm in a tizzy from inhaling these fumes and worrying about the DD. I'll be back later to respond to everybody's posts. But for now ... gotta go.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:02 PM   #73  

Sandra, I like your hair. It's different than before, but it still looks nice (and sassy!)

Kathy, how horrible for your dd! I get nervous in front of people too, and with that emotional of a subject, I can see why she's terrified. Good luck to her. Maybe they won't end up using her.

I've spent all day reading the new Harry Potter book. I was starting to get little panic attacks whenever I thought about the upcoming trip, so my Mom wisely distracted me with her new book that she hasn't even read yet. Moms are great! It worked, but now I'm in that "I've been reading a book all day long" fog. Time to return to reality and feed my family.

Later!
Angela
Old 07-21-2005, 06:12 PM   #74  

The investigator just left. She's going to be sworn in at 1:15 tomorrow. She will definitely testify but it probably won't be until Monday. I told her I would go with her if she wants, so she's thinking about it. She's also freaked about missing work, but I just made her a copy of the subpoena to take and show them. She's about to leave now to go talk to them.

If you want to read about the trial and case details, go here:

http://www.dfw.com/mld/dfw/

You might have to register but it's a free account. Then put "Tyler Hearne" in the search box. There are six articles at this point but I'm expecting one more to be posted tonight after this afternoon's testimony. It's just so sad.
Old 07-21-2005, 06:13 PM   #75  

Sandra!!!! OMG, girlfriend, that is a GREAT picture!! I love your hair! I wouldn't change one thing!

I just LOOOOOVE seeing you guys!
Closed Thread