Old 10-21-2010, 11:44 AM   #31  

I do believe it's the simple carbs that are going to get the point increase. And why are you counting points for veggies now? Most of them are free. Both fruit and veggies contain carbs, as does dairy. It's not going to be Atkins. Most of the 100-calorie packs are not really nutritious, and the bars, so I can see them getting more points assigned. WW is about sound nutrition and exercise leading to a healthy weight loss, not eliminating food groups like Atkins.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:02 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 190/157/120-150

Height: 5'5"

It's the simple carbs that get the increase, but you also get more points. So I don't think it's as restrictive as the Atkins. You can still eat those things - they just cost you more so you'll tend to eat less of them (since we tend to eat less of things that cost more points).
pageta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 05:43 PM   #33  

S/C/G: 176/146/145

Height: 5'6"

I am a new member (working on week 5 as of today). I LOVE the program and the healthier lifestyle. I feel more energized!!! Weight Watchers has been around for over 40 years!!! WOW! They have to know what they are doing or else they would not still be around. I am putting my trust into them with the upcoming changes because of their continued success with helping people on their journey to weight loss.

Last edited by shellerooskie; 10-24-2010 at 10:35 AM. Reason: spelled word wrong :)
shellerooskie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:23 PM   #34  

S/C/G: 184.4/169.2/140

Height: 5'3"

I know most veggies are free, but ones like potatoes, peas and corn are not...peas are my absolute FAVORITES!!! I don't live off 100 calorie packs and such, but have snacky things on occassion because every once in a while I just need that snack! I normally have daily points left over and very rarely do I ever use weekly points. I'm forming new habits and have found a plan I like and can stick with. I just don't want to see an abudance of change that takes the "fun" out of it!
stratcat45 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:04 PM   #35  
Fit to be Healthy!

The daily points . . . are the required minimum. You are supposed to be eating all of your daily points. You should not have leftover daily points. If you often have leftover daily points, then you will stymie your weight loss.
MrsBonsai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:57 PM   #36  

stratcat, don't worry, I don't think WW will ever go low carb. If you read the letter from the CEO in the latest issue of WW magazine even he says that much of the information we've received from the 80's up to the early 2000's - low carb, low fat, etc. is just conflicting. He says the new program will still be points-based and simple.

Here's my guess (and sincere hope) about what they are doing. With the current points formula we are punished for eating fats (even good fats) and rewarded for eating more fiber (lower points, even if the calories aren't lower). So even though a food may have fiber added, the points are artificially lowered. This is not a true representation of calories. I've read (and I'm HOPING this is accurate) that the new points formula will use proteins, fats, carbohydrates and fiber to give us our points. That is what they are doing in Netherlands and Germany to figure their points. I believe that has been a "test" plan for our forthcoming plan, for over a year now. That formula is a true representation of what calories are made up of.

I too am losing nicely on the current plan, but the new plan sounds like a nice improvement, especially if it's true that "fruits and most veg" are now free, and that points more accurately represent calories.

I can't wait until the Sunday after Thanksgiving. I'll probably be the first one at my meeting!
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:47 PM   #37  

Quote:
Originally Posted by oscar1973 View Post
Yes, the plan is changing. Yes, it will begin for everyone the Sunday after Thanksgiving. No, the old plan will not be supported. Give the new plan a chance. I hate it when people say, 'I'm going to just stay on the old plan.' If everyone said that, we'd still be eating liver and onions! You can't (shouldn't) judge something until you've given it a try. Once the plan becomes available, it will be just that, "the plan". Forget "old" vs. "new", it's just "the plan". Good luck to everyone!!
Um...I do eat liver and onions.
llamalluv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 03:38 PM   #38  
Fit to be Healthy!

Quote:
Originally Posted by llamalluv View Post
Um...I do eat liver and onions.

The original plan called for lots of it.
Old 10-23-2010, 03:44 PM   #39  
Fit to be Healthy!

This is a link to someone's listing of the 1972 program, requiring liver once a week. Bleh. I don't like liver!

I can't post it as a link because even though I've been here for years, for some reason it shows me as only 2 or 3 posts.
Old 10-23-2010, 07:31 PM   #40  

MrsBonsai - I questioned my leader about my often having left over points (it's not an everyday occurance) and she told me to try my best to get them all in for the same reason you did. I quickly discovered that in order to get my points in, I was eating the snacky things - lol!! Adding the healthier stuff didn't add up the points. The truth is, there are some days I'm just not hungry enough to force myself to eat. I do try though!

Joceyln - thanks for the information; as long as it doesn't go low-carb like Atkins I should be fine. My doctor is totally against diets that eliminate a food group...he likes WW because you can eat anything (within reason) making it much better to stick to!
Old 10-23-2010, 09:25 PM   #41  
Fit to be Healthy!

Do you eat a lot of low fat/sugar free products? Maybe you can substitute in things like 2% instead of fat free cheeses. Or add avocado to a sandwich. Do you get your essential fats in? Would you mind sharing what a typical day is like?
Old 10-24-2010, 10:32 PM   #42  

S/C/G: 334/267/232 (For now)

Height: 5'2"

Try eating a slightly large portion of protein to get your points. (PS I'm always under my points, I never eat my flex points, I never touch my Activity Points and I'm doing just fine. Dont freak out unless it starts to affect your weight loss. As long as you arent under 18 points a day, you are fine.)
tamia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 01:35 PM   #43  

Thanks for the advice! It never occurred to me to just eat regular or 2% cheese to rake up some points. I guess it's because we're always looking for the less points! That's good advice.

And I'm never under 18 points. If I'm under it's normally only by 2-3 points.
Old 10-26-2010, 02:17 PM   #44  
Kim

S/C/G: 186/161/150

Height: 5'4"

This has me a bit concerned. I am one of those people that lives for the "extras" that we are allowed to have on WW. Yes, I know it's probably what's holding me back from really losing the last 10 lbs I want to lose. However, being allowed to have those extras is what has helped me be successful on WW. I'm nervous about losing that. I also know myself though and know I don't like change. I'm trying hard to re-focus my brain on the fact that no matter what, WW does their homework and whatever they are changing to, must be much better for me.....

I just need to keep trusting that they are here to help us...
Paintfancy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 09:51 PM   #45  

paintfancy, not to worry. Speculation is that the structure of WW will remain the same, with daily points as well as weekly and activity points. You can still have your treats.
Joycelyn is offline   Reply With Quote