Old 07-22-2002, 10:04 PM   #1  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Default Any Sommercisers out there?

I have been combining ww and slowly incorporating the Suzanne Somers program into my eating plan. I like the idea of low carb but can't live without my fruit so I think this will work for me better than some of the other plans I have looked into.

So far I have lost 4 lbs on this plan.

I would love to meet some Sommercizing buddies for support and general chat about anything and everything.

Hey Aleka! This means you too if you feel like posting
Old 07-23-2002, 08:43 AM   #2  
Trying to find my way.

S/C/G: 244/220/145

Height: 5'2''

I do not know many people who sommersize, but you are certainly welcome here. one thing that you may not be aware of is that the atkins and many of the low carb programs DO allow fruit into their programs. not in unlimited amounts but it is reccommended. unfortunatly when they first startedlow carb they excluded it but now that it has changed it is not being know by others. so unfortunatly many people think of low carb with preconcieved notions.

But anyways getting off my soap box join us and pulll up a stool and get comfortable. we all welcome any kind of plan and are interested in hearing how things go. there are some here that are doing a version of ww/low carb. maybe some of them can pip in and let you know how they are doing. I do believe there is antoher thread started regarding the same thing.
Old 07-23-2002, 11:26 AM   #3  

Default Hey there!

I just saw your post, I've been away for a few days. You are doing great combining both WW & Somersizing. I have been really seriously considering going back to Somersizing. I've been reading a lot of other low carb eating plans, but I've found SSzing to be the easiest to follow, I also have my WW point booklet, which I will use for portion control. So, we can help each other out. Suzanne has a website with a great message board with loads of recipes and great people to help answer your questions. I also post over there. It's, www.suzannesomers.com Do you have any of Suzanne's books? I have all of them. The best one is the newest one where the people who are doing her WOE submitted recipes and they published the best ones.

Take care. Aleka
Old 07-23-2002, 11:04 PM   #4  

Thanks Nasus40! I thought Atkins was mostly no fruit type stuff. A friend is on it-or something like it and does this can't eat any fruit and barely any veggies...that didn't sound right, thanks for clearing up the confusion and thanks for the info on other ww low-carbs.

Aleka-I have the Eat Great, Lose Weight. I plan on trying some more of the recipes out and concentrating more on the Sommercizing than the WW, but like you, I need the portion control aspect. I also like the idea of viewing food in a more natural form as I don't really care for prefab meals and like to cook using fresh ingredients when I can. Thanks for the Website info-I will check it out.
Can you get that book of recipes in a bookstore or do you have to buy it from the website?

Thanks!
Old 07-24-2002, 09:24 AM   #5  

Angry Hi!

I got the cookbook from Home Shopping Network when Suzanne was on, but I'm sure you can get it from the website. The book also comes with an apron. I used to eat a lot of frozen dinners, for convenience, before I started SSzing the first time. I hadn't eaten frozen meals for a couple of years, and for convenience sake again, I bought a few. They were awful!! It's amazing what you can get used to. Can you give me any ideas on what to put on veggies besides butter and cheese? They get tiresome after awhile. I'm always looking for new ideas. If you can find celery root where you live, it is fantastic for mashed "potatoes" I actually prefere the celery root to mashed potatoes. I also shredded the celery root to make "hash browns", but I think I used too much oil. I'll have to give it another try. I have also used cauliflower for "potato salad". It really is good. I am not very good at keeping track of points, or of the food I eat. I also would just use the WW point booklett as a portion guide. Aleka
Old 07-24-2002, 04:15 PM   #6  
Trying to find my way.

how avout salad dressing? my family loves ranch on the veggies
Old 07-24-2002, 06:13 PM   #7  

Hey Nasus- is that ranch on cooked or uncooked veggies?
I have used ranch dressing as a dip for raw veggies at lunch.
Pretty yummy!

Aleka-how do you make mashed celery root taste as good as mashed potatos? Also do you have a recipe for that cauliflower mock potatos salad? I agree with you totally, I never eat frozen food-can't stand the taste and so many chemicals in those entrees! Yikes! I even freeze veggies on my own as I hate the sogginess of the store bought kind.

Arrg! Iwas starving at work today and caved and ate a bran muffin which I am now regretting, oh well, it was that or a bag of chips

Talk to you both later!
Old 07-24-2002, 06:51 PM   #8  
Trying to find my way.

both cooked and uncooked. hot or cold
Old 07-24-2002, 09:44 PM   #9  
Hang In There

Alice: after reading your post, I went over and checked out the somercizing site, but I have some questions. In one of the introductions it talked about the plan being a low carb plan, but the other one talked about it being a "food combining" plan/ I thought that meant you could only eat like all protein at one meal, etc. Which is correct? Is it really a lowcarb plan? you said you have all the books, not counting the reciepie books, which book should I buy if I was to just get one? I just know that this has been the easiest way of eating I have ever tried to follow, and the result speak for themselves...
Old 07-25-2002, 06:57 AM   #10  

Angry Hi

Nausus, that's a terriffic idea, putting ranch dressing on cooked veggies. I never gave that a thought. I have thought to try salad dressing, instead of mayo in my chicken salad . Thank you for your suggestion.

mauvaisroux, for the celery root, you peel it to take all the brown stuff off, cut it into small chunks, boil the chunks until tender, put the cooked chunks in a food processer (or you can use a hand held beater) along with butter and cream until desired consistency. It has the look and feel of mashed potatoes, but does not taste like mashed potatoes. Some people don't like the taste of the celery root, but personally I like this better. I've seen recipes where you make the mashed "potatoes" from cauliflower. I didn't care for this method because I could not get all the lumps out of the cauliflower. I will get the recipe for the mock potato salad and post it for you.

Hi Barb! Suzanne Somers has 3 books that explains her program. #1 is Eat Great and Lose Weight, #2 is Get Skinny on Fabulous Food, & #3 is Eat, Cheat, and Melt the Fat Away. Maybe you can check out any one of these books at the library that way you won't have to pay for them in case this is WOE isn't for you. Each of these books explains her WOE, but each has different recipes. Her program can be low carb depending on how you eat. She suggests that you do eat low carb, but if you do eat carbs, they should be eaten in the morning so that you have all day to burn them off. For the food combining, you can have protein/fats/veggies at a meal, or if you have a carb meal, you have carbs/veggies. It's rather confusing at first, but once you get the hang of it, it becomes second nature. Let me know what you think!

Have a great day everyone.

Last edited by aleka; 07-25-2002 at 07:03 AM.
Old 07-25-2002, 07:16 AM   #11  
Trying to find my way.

I know some one who was doing low carb, she did not say how she was doing it but doing the food combo thing it sounds like this was it and she lost 100 lbs. she said she did not combine her protein with carbs within a 3 hour time frame. from either end. she had done great. she has slowed down but she was successful.
Old 07-26-2002, 11:49 AM   #12  

Angry MOCK POTATO SALAD

I got this recipe from another Somersizing group.

1 head of cauliflower
4 hard boiled eggs
4 ribs of celery, sliced
1 sm. onion, chopped (I ommitted)
1 teasp. each, salt, pepper, celery seed, & dill weed
1 Tablesp. Dijon mustard (I omitted)
1 teasp. Splenda (any artificial sweetener) (I omitted)
Hellman's mayonnaise (or any mayo w/o sugar)

Steam cauliflower in the microwave for 10 min. (I used my electric steamer). Let cool, then dice. Add eggs, celery, and onions. In a small bowl, mix the rest of the ingredients together using enough mayo for proper consistency (1/2 to 1 cup). Toss with cauliflower mixture.

We love this recipe. Enjoy!!!
Old 07-28-2002, 11:17 PM   #13  

Evening everyone!

Thanks for the recipe Aleka! I have printed a couple of the recipes from the Suzanne Somers website and will be trying them out soon. BTW I use Chipotle-lime or other flavored mustard in Tuna sandwiches instead of Mayonnaise for a change of pace.

Thanks for the tip on the veggies Nasus. I have a friend who cooks her veggies in some canned chicken stock for flavor instead of using butter on them.

Age oldie-I bought Eat Great, Lose Weight. On this WOE you can't have white flour food products like bread, pasta, etc. I turned my nose up at first but now I find that the whole wheat pasta and whole grain breads actually taste better, heartier and more filling. The food combining isn't that hard once you get used to it and I find that eating my fruit first in the morning and then having my Kashi cereal about 1/2 an hour later keeps me fuelled up until around noon. This WOE also focuses on eating fresh food that has not been pre-processed, which is healthier and certainly tastes a lot better I like the recipes in this book because they are relatively simple and I can find most of the ingredients at a regular grocery store. I have not bought any of Suzanne Somers food products so I can't recommend anything on that front.
Old 07-29-2002, 05:24 PM   #14  

Angry Hi,

mauvaisroux, I hope you like the mock potato salad. I also have a recipe for making "hash browns" with cauliflower. I made it one morning, they were good, but not great. Maybe I cooked them too long. I have made the cheesecake in her book, but that is just an occasional treat. I have bought some of her food products. I bought her truffels when they first came out, but by the time I got them it they were melted. I did get my money back. I have also bought her creme brulee, which I liked, but DH didn't. I find both her food and the shipping & handling to be very expensive. It wouldn't be bad if you bought multiple items and they combined the S & H. I will be starting SSzing full time tomorrow, and for the first time in a long while I'm anxious to start. I have been eating a few meals the SS way. I've been eating way too many carbs and my stomach is rebelling. Did you have a good weekend?

Enjoy the rest of your day. Aleka
Old 07-29-2002, 08:35 PM   #15  

Hi everyone!

Aleka- I had a pretty good weekend but ended up eating two slices of pizza. I have been trying to Sommercize regularly but I always srew up on the weekends My week is well organized and I stay on track but somehow it all falls apart on Friday night continuing through Sunday...sigh.

I am going to the US on holiday for 9 days starting next Sunday which is great but means that I will have to face 9 days of take-out and restaurant food. I will try to make healthy choices but I know it is going to be hard. I plan on seriously doing the WOE when I get back as my fridge is nearly empty and I will have to restock my kitchen when I get back-I will be able to start from scratch

I know what you mean about the carbs- I actually get a stomach ache if I eat white bread now

Have a great night! Mauvaisroux