Old 08-08-2002, 12:08 AM   #31  

Jayaredee-I looked that up on her website, under faq. She says to eat at least 1/2 your meal before you drink anything and to wait 2 hours after your meal to drink most of your water.
Old 08-08-2002, 06:52 AM   #32  

Angry Hi!

Welcome Jayaredee, I looked at her book for the answer to your question, but her answer wasn't as exact as the answer nikkic got on the website. How long have you been Somersizing, and how are you doing?

nikkic, my DH loves this WOE. The last time I SSzed I did it for almost a year, and I only lost 12 lb., but I also didn't follow it closely, I cheated a lot. Than my Dad got sick, since I'm an only child, I was visiting him at the hosp. every day, which is a 45 min. drive each way. I'd be getting home around 5:00-6:00pm and would just grab anything easy for supper. Then my Dad passed away, and that created a whole new set of emotions, so needless to say I gained 15 lb. Now, I am in the mood to lose this weight. I live in NH with my DH of 30 yrs., and my dog who is 1 1/2, we have no children. I just turned 54 last month (our numbers are reversed...it must be a sign I am 5'2" and presently I weight 165 lb. I am being realistic and I would like to get down to around 140 lb. or less. Actually, I would be thrilled just to lose the 12 lb. I lost the last time! It would be great keeping each other motivated. Do you find it hard sometimes to get "legal" food? I do, since the nearest grocery store, and there is only 1, is 10 miles away. So, I do the best I can. Sometimes we go to Mass. and I stop in at a Bread & Circus and stock up on a number of items.

Have a great day! Aleka

Last edited by aleka; 08-08-2002 at 06:56 AM.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:39 AM   #33  

Thanks for the answer everyone!!!!! Everyone thought I was crazy when i posted a new thread in the low carb forum about the water. Anyways Ive been Somersizing for about a week and still getting used to it. It's actually much more easier than the other diet plans I've been on. When do you people bring in your carbs? breakfast? lunch? dinner? I usually have mine at breakfast(recommended by suzanne) I eat the all bran cereal and wonder if it's too high in carbs. Just please help me get this plan straight, thanks
Old 08-08-2002, 09:50 AM   #34  

Aleka, my folks were both 40 when they had me. They were always old it seemed. When I was growing up, most people thought they were may grandparents. They passed away over 10 years ago when they were in their 70's. I took care of them for about a year before they had to go into nursing homes. My drive was an hour each way. I know how hard it is to lose a parent. It took me so long to just feel like doing anything again. I still miss them. My heart goes out to you and my thoughts too.

I also have a problem with the food. We live in a small town and the grocery stores carry the worst fresh produce you've ever seen! I'm going to start driving to another town with a bigger store and fresher stuff to get groceries. I just ordered some cerlery root from there, it will take 2 weeks to get it and cost $2.50 a pound. I have to buy 5-10 pounds, he didn't know how much came in a box. I sure hope I like it. I don't want to be stuck with $25.00 of stuff I hate. I went through some of their old posts about food. They posted a thread on stuff that is legal and they named brand names. I'm going to search through it and if you want, I can post a list here of what they came up with.

Well, that water thing has been on my mind all night. If you can't drink before a meal and you have to wait 2 hours after a meal, when can you drink? 8am-breakfast 10 am snack noon lunch 2pm snack 5pm supper (for us midwestern middleaged folks) 7pm snack. I don't get it. Has anyone else here followed the drinking advice? I think I could not drink before a meal and wait til I was half done before drinking anything, but with the advice I found on the website, I don't think you could find any time in the day to drink anything. I think I'll look at some of their past posts and see if anyone there has any ideas about this. I understand what she's saying about having an empty stomach before you eat, but I love to drink water. It's one of things I do right. At least I think it's right. I drink water all day, especially during the hot weather. Maybe if you just have an empty stomach before you eat it's ok.
Old 08-08-2002, 09:54 AM   #35  

Question which one of suzannes books should I buy

Good Morning All:
I goofed and posted this as a new thread. I am a new
somercizer and I would like to purchase one of her three books.
Which one in your opinion is the best? I learned of this program
by listening to a set of tapes I purchased from the Shopping
Channel.
Anne.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:08 AM   #36  

Oops, I did the same thing, sorry. Posted that reply to Jayaredee as a new thread.
Hi Anne D, I personally like the Eat, Cheat and Melt the Fat Away. It's the newest with the most up to date info. They all say about the same thing when it comes to this woe. I guess it's the recipes that make it different. There is a new cookbook out with contest winners (regular people) recipes. I've ordered that and will let you know if it's worth getting. Or you can get it from her website too.

Last edited by nikkic; 08-08-2002 at 10:18 AM.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:21 AM   #37  

That is what I was wondering....if they all basically say the same
thing..... I am very interested in recipes and the general "rules"
so I don't have to keep fast forwarding my tape to find the
answers I am searching for. Anne.
Old 08-08-2002, 10:23 AM   #38  

Angry Hello again,

Welcome ANNE D, all three of her books have the eating plan in them, but each have different recipes. I would recommend her 1st book, Eat Great and Lose Weight. I also have the cookbook with the recipes that people on this WOE of eating made up. I've only tried the pancake recipe, and it was AWESOME!!!

nikkic, you will really like the celery root. That is one thing I can find in my grocery store. I make "mashed potatoes" with it and DH & I think it tastes so much better than the real thing. When you peel it, just make sure you get all the brown off it. We also have a grocery store a bit nearer to where we live, but they don't have much of a variety of healthy foods, but you can have your pick of donuts tho Both of my parents are gone too. My Mom passed away in 1979 so I know exactly how you feel. My parents were in their early to mid 30's when they had me. My Dad had white hair for as long as I knew him (everyone said I did it to him), and people thought he was my grandfather. I still drink with my meal, I will eat something first, then drink, finish my meal, then finish whatever I'm drinking. One piece of advice I learned on her website is sometimes you have to "tweak" this WOE to fit your lifestyle, otherwise, you will probably not eat this way for the rest of your life. Good for you for drinking water. I have a very hard time drinking water. I do like VeryFine's Fruit 2o, which is flavored water w/splenda.

JAYREDEE, I usually have 2 shredded wheat biscuits in the morning w/skim milk. That is my one carb. meal for the day. The beauty of this WOE, you don't have to have count carbs.

I've rambled on enough. Enjoy the day! Aleka

Last edited by aleka; 08-08-2002 at 10:30 AM.
Old 08-09-2002, 08:04 AM   #39  

Good Morning Everyone!!
I decided to buy all three books from Amazon and I got 30%
off!! I figured I am in this for the long hall so I can use all
the recipes I can get my hands on. I am very optimistic this
will work for me. Will power I have. Eight years ago I lost
100 pounds at WW but Sadly Half the weight is back!!!
I tried Susan Powters low fat diet a couple of years ago and
every morning and night I would have a gut ache that was
unreal!! Now I finally understand why. Since starting this
program Last week I have noticed I feel 100% better. At
45 I probably won't lose weight like I once did but if I can
take off 5 pounds or so a month I will be thrilled!!!
Anne.
Old 08-09-2002, 10:53 AM   #40  

Angry Hello there,

I have been eating this fantastic nitrate free black pepper bacon. I happened to look at the ingredients and it was cured in SUGAR and spices. On the nutrition label there is no sugar listed. I am soooo bummed and it's hard to find nitrate free bacon where I live.

I think depending on how much you have to lose, you will see a dramatic drop in weight, or it will come of soooo slow. I know it took Suzanne 2 months to see any difference. I lost very slow the first time around, and so far I haven't lost a thing this week. So, I think I'm going to start eliminating a few things like cream and see if it makes a difference.

Anne, that's wonderful that you are feeling good eating this way. I seem to have more energy, and my stomach doesn't bother me like it did before I started this WOE again.

Hi nikkic and JAYAREDEE.

I hope you all have a great weekend.
Aleka
Old 08-09-2002, 11:14 AM   #41  

Hi everyone. I really didn't think caffiene was that big of a deal, but I guess it will spike your insulin so I'm going caffiene free. I wasn't aware of all the hidden sugars in everything either, even in some things I would never look at the label of-like sour cream, creams, cream cheese. I just thought they were what they said they were, will have to check everything I guess. I was buying whole wheat bread too, then found out there were sugars in there, so it's no good. I'm going to start making it at home. That is one thing about this woe, there is a lot more cooking and a lot less convenience foods. Still, I'm hoping to make up a bunch of legal muffins and get them in the freezer for those times I must have something carbo, and I must have it right now. I'd usually grab the chips and dip or a can of nuts. I think I'm going to miss nuts most of all. Still the great thing is, someday, when I've reached level two, I can have them again, in small amounts.
I hope everyone is doing well. Talk to you later, must go clean out fridge and throw away a bunch of illegal food. Later, Nikki
Old 08-09-2002, 04:07 PM   #42  

HI EVERYONE!!!!!!!!!!!!
I now started drinking decaf coffee this week(i just started the diet this week) and don't seem to have a problem with it. In fact i enjoy decaf coffee just as much except it didn't wake me up this morning! There are many variations on this water thing. I cant drink water until 2 hours after my meal so if i ater breakfast at 8 i cant drink until 10. The gap is way too big!!!!!!!!!
Nikkic and aleka thanks for the help. Tomorrow is my first weigh in on this diet so i hope to see results however if i dont ill still stick with it. I believe in this diet!!!!!!!!!!!!
Anne you chose a great diet and Susan Powter could have set you up with diabetes on her plan.
Once again thanks everbody and enjoy your weekend!
Old 08-09-2002, 05:09 PM   #43  

Jayaredee, I was looking though a few threads on the ss website and I found the following advice from a guy named pneuman who has lost over 125 lbs. He says that when your starting out, to not drink an hour before or after your meals, don't eat carbs except in the morning and at first, try to limit your carbs to no more than 2-3 times a week. I think I can do that. I've also seen other people suggest not drinking 1/2 hour before meals and 1/2 hour after. I think that's what I will do now, because I can't go that long without drinking in this aweful heat! If it really makes a difference, then I'll go to the hour wait before and after.
I'm starting this woe on Monday. I am really psyched up about it.
Talk to you all later, take care, Nikki
Old 08-09-2002, 08:01 PM   #44  

Hey Nikkic
Im going to do the half hour before and after with the water, I mean how long do I have to wait to hydrate myself geeeeez Suzanne give me a break here! I know exercising is not required to lose weight on Sommercising but would you still reccommend it? Suzanne does. Anyway I love this diet. Before I was on Richard Simmons food mover and hated it because it was way too restricted. At least on this diet I can eat fat and lots of it too(just not with carbs) I hope i get to lose a lot of weight on this diet, im sure i will!
Hey aleka hows it going??????????
Once again have a great weekend!!!!!!
p.s. Nikkic
I just read the accidental thread you started addressed to me yeterday, dont worry about starting a little late its not worth throwing out all that expense in fact im doing the same thing now, its hard but we'll succeed!!!!!!!!!

Last edited by JAYAREDEE; 08-09-2002 at 08:05 PM.
Old 08-09-2002, 09:36 PM   #45  

Like Aleka said, you can tweek it. I've read some other people say they on ss that they don't even worry about the water thing. I think I'll just stick with the 1/2 hour thing for awhile. Yes I've done Richard Simmons too. If you name it, I've surely done it. This woe is the only one I think I can stick with. When I did it before, I was going through a hard time too so, diet was not the first thing on my mind. It is really hard to ss when you have to eat out at fast food places all the time. At least now I can stay home and cook.
I've been collecting a lot of recipes from the ss website in the last few days. In fact I have 3 notebooks full, my printer is smokin'!!! I did have to change the color cartridge though. All of her text is in blue. Anyway, if you want a recipe for something I might have it or you can look there for a lot of good ideas.
DH is still not convinced you can eat fat and lose weight. I told him all I've done is gain weight when I've eaten low fat. The reason being, I might lose 30 lbs. but then I gain back 40 because I go off it and eat everything I've been denying myself.
Well, Jayaredee, if you exercise you could probably lose it faster. Besides, it helps to tone up muscles and decrease the extra skin. I really hate to exercise, but I will start. I have a room full of exercise equipment, literally. When my oldest daughter moved out, we made her old room into an exercise room. There's a treadmill, cardioglide, orbitrek, abdoer, and trosotrack in there.
All I have to do is open the door and get with it. I know when I exercised before, I felt better. I'm kind of limited right now. A year ago last Feb. I broke my ankle and it hasn't healed. I've had 3 surgeries for it, but still it is broken. It is very painful to walk on. I can still use the abdoer and the cardioglide, so that is what I'm going to do.
Well, I'm going recipe hunting again. Have a good night.
Nikki