Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2021, 09:45 AM   #61  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Alice Seldom do I say this but I'm glad that dog went over the Rainbow Bridge. I hope you have some success in placing the other dogs and getting your neighbour to accept some type of help for himself. I have worked for some rather disturbed people in my time and it's never easy to get them to admit there's something that could be better. Good of you to try!

I'm hoping to sell my bike today. DH and I had a great idea about bike riding but it never really came together. I have a great bike sitting in my shed - 7 years now - and I really would like for someone to have it who will USE it!

Dagmar
Old 03-24-2021, 07:49 AM   #62  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Alice, best of luck with the other dogs. I feel so sorry for the owner as well as the dogs--but the owner at least has choice.

Did you sell your bike, Dagmar? My partner and I once had a bike situation just like that--bought two nice bikes intending to ride, but it turned out we didn't. We sold them both prior to our move to here. It's too bad in a way, because Florida has so much flat roadway. Lots of bikes!

I volunteered to work on the condo documents for our community. Silly me! But the worst part is all done now. I think parts of them hadn't been revised in fifty years! Ancient legal text no one uses anymore, assumptions about everyone being either single or married, and so on... But things will be better in the future, I hope.

Going for haircuts and brunch today! Always a favorite outing.
Old 03-24-2021, 03:42 PM   #63  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Going for haircuts and brunch today! Always a favorite outing.
Lucky you! We haven't been allowed to go for haircuts or brunch since last October. Yes that's how long our lockdown has lasted. We can order brunch online and have it delivered or do curbside but we can't go and eat anywhere legally.

DH did get a haircut last week when one of his colleagues had his barber come to their workplace. I am very envious as I'm at the point where I'm ready to take scissors to my own hair, just to get it out of the way.

And I did sell the bike - got almost what I asked, less $25. Bike rack next!

Dagmar
Old 03-25-2021, 09:12 AM   #64  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

We went only two months without haircuts, before the salon and the government figured out how it could be done safely. Dagmar, maybe you could check with your place to see if your haircutter is able to make a house call. Or call your hair person directly?

It was some months after that that some restaurants were able to open for limited indoor seating. But most of the people we know were too afraid to go out.

May we all be safe and avoid incapacitating illness!
Old 03-26-2021, 06:09 AM   #65  

Quote:
We went only two months without haircuts, before the salon and the government figured out how it could be done safely. Dagmar, maybe you could check with your place to see if your haircutter is able to make a house call. Or call your hair person directly?

It was some months after that that some restaurants were able to open for limited indoor seating. But most of the people we know were too afraid to go out.

My haircutting person leases a chair at a salon and the salon's owner is complying with the guidelines. My hair stylist also has two kids so she isn't going to risk her health. And she can collect a benefit from the government. So no haircut until she is back. I'm finding it's long enough to sort of tuck behind my ears now and I've been cutting the bangs myself.

Dagmar
Old 03-27-2021, 11:56 AM   #66  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mudpie View Post
My haircutting person leases a chair at a salon and the salon's owner is complying with the guidelines. My hair stylist also has two kids so she isn't going to risk her health. And she can collect a benefit from the government. So no haircut until she is back. I'm finding it's long enough to sort of tuck behind my ears now and I've been cutting the bangs myself.

Dagmar
My hair cutting person called and I've booked an appointment for when she can legally work again - April 12th and on. I'm going in on the 18th. YAY!!

My age group is due to be able to book appointments for vaccines in April -

Dagmar
Old 03-27-2021, 06:05 PM   #67  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Happy Times, Dagmar!
Old 04-04-2021, 08:32 AM   #68  

Another lockdown so no haircut. I did the sides and bangs myself and am going to enlist DH to do the straight cut across the back.

The good news is that I've got an appointment for a COVID shot next Sunday - Moderna or Pfizer - and another for August for the booster.

Dagmar
Old 04-04-2021, 06:35 PM   #69  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

Howdy everyone. My new friend Diane from Idaho has been here since a week ago Friday to assist with the saluki situation next door. She has known my old neighbor for years and he has agreed to let her have both younger females! Hallelujah!! I'm seeing light at the end of the tunnel! We have moved both females over to my house where they are learning to walk on leash and go in a dog crate. Diane will head back home on Thursday with them. She has owned salukis for over 40 years and knows them well. That leaves only two next door. One is the old female and the other the crazy younger male. The old one seems too wobbly and old to re-home, sort of like a demented person in an old folks home. It wouldn't improve her quality of life to take her to a new place. Not sure what we'll figure out for the male, if anything.

Needless to say, it's been a busy week. Dagmar, I haven't had a haircut in a few years. I trim it myself. It looks semi-okay most of the time. Whatever. We are more than our hair.
Old 04-05-2021, 06:11 AM   #70  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinAtTheMoon View Post

Needless to say, it's been a busy week. Dagmar, I haven't had a haircut in a few years. I trim it myself. It looks semi-okay most of the time. Whatever. We are more than our hair.
My hair is really thin and straight and has never looked like much so I've never seen it as any sort of attractive feature. The reason I'm so anxious for a haircut is that it's in my eyes and mouth and keeps knotting and tangling at the ends. It's really bothering me when I work and when i have to put on/take off the face masks. I did trim the bangs and sort of angled the sides a bit. I guess I'll live with the tangling and keep ripping bits of it out when I comb.

Dagmar
Old 04-06-2021, 08:57 AM   #71  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Alice, I'm so glad that you are getting help with those dogs. I hope something can be done with the two that remain.

Dagmar, I used to have long hair that tangled, and I found that using the right conditioner after shampooing made a big difference. Better than breaking off the hair while combing.

Some people in our condo community have decided that they are "done" with the restrictions, and masks no longer need to be worn in the Clubhouse. Their justification is that we are "all" vaccinated now. I don't know how they came to that conclusion--they are probably delusional. So masks are now "suggested" instead of required. I'm still wearing mine, if I have to go to an event.
Old 04-07-2021, 08:11 AM   #72  

Quote:

Some people in our condo community have decided that they are "done" with the restrictions, and masks no longer need to be worn in the Clubhouse. Their justification is that we are "all" vaccinated now. I don't know how they came to that conclusion--they are probably delusional. So masks are now "suggested" instead of required. I'm still wearing mine, if I have to go to an event.
According to the health authorities here you can still get COVID after being vaccinated. Or you can be a carrier and not know it. So anyone you come into contact with who is not yet vaccinated can get it from you. I will continue to wear the mask long after Sunday's jab. DH is 5 years younger than me so he will not be vaccinated for awhile according to our provincial rollout. I will continue to restrict myself until he is vaccinated re going out, riding the subway, etc. and I will continue to wear the mask everywhere in public until we both also have the booster shot. I'm thinking September of this year will be "freedom" month, when we can start to go where we want to go without being afraid of disability or death from COVID.

Dagmar
Old 04-07-2021, 08:47 AM   #73  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Dagmar, did you see my Private Message to you?
Old 04-08-2021, 04:55 AM   #74  

Quote:
Dagmar, did you see my Private Message to you?
I did now - thanks for the heads up here - I never look at the PM's any more.

Dagmar
Old 04-10-2021, 09:04 PM   #75  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

We're taking off on a trip out of town for a few days. Like most folks I guess, we haven't gone anywhere in over a year. Just a change of scenery will be nice. But, we've forgotten how to pack! Taking extra masks, hand sanitizer.
Closed Thread