Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 08-28-2021, 05:46 PM   #151  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Thanks for the good wishes. Hurricane Henri passed west of us leaving us little but a bit of rain. Am so glad that we have weather forecasts, but am so aware how difficult it is to accurately predict a storm path.

Hope all is well with the maintainers.
Old 09-01-2021, 09:56 AM   #152  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

My staycation is going well. Went to the mall on Monday and got on the subway for the first time in almost 2 years. Did medical appointments yesterday and will do some housekeeping and grocery shopping tomorrow but otherwise I'm doing mostly fun things. "Little Canada" today, Art Gallery of Ontario Friday, Metro zoo Saturday, and I'm hoping to meet with a new client Sunday or Monday and also go kayaking on one of those 2 days.

Dagmar
Old 09-01-2021, 03:49 PM   #153  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

Wow, Dagmar, it sounds like you actually have a life
JayEll, I hope Ida didn't affect you too badly.
Still hot and smoky here. I got a backpacking permit for a fabulous 6 day loop in the eastern Sierras I've always wanted to do, but they closed all the national forests in California and refunded my permit. The same thing happened last year. I'm going to try the local National Park instead but it depends on the air quality, and I'll have to get a walk-up permit which is sometimes tricky.
Old 09-02-2021, 05:50 AM   #154  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinAtTheMoon View Post
Wow, Dagmar, it sounds like you actually have a life
JayEll, I hope Ida didn't affect you too badly.
Still hot and smoky here. I got a backpacking permit for a fabulous 6 day loop in the eastern Sierras I've always wanted to do, but they closed all the national forests in California and refunded my permit. The same thing happened last year. I'm going to try the local National Park instead but it depends on the air quality, and I'll have to get a walk-up permit which is sometimes tricky.
I hope you can get a permit Alice and enjoy a hike.

Yes I DO have a life again. I was born in Toronto and have lived here all my life. Now that I am almost through pandemic times and know my remaining here time is finite I'm going to go out and enjoy as many things in this wonderful city as I can.

Dagmar
Old 09-03-2021, 08:09 AM   #155  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Sorry about your trip plans, Alice. I hope you can hike somewhere soon--weather and smoke permitting!

Bill, did the rains from Ida hit you? I have a friend in Conn. who reports a flooded basement.

Dagmar, why is your remaining "here time" finite? Because you are older, or because you are moving? I've always loved taking advantage of museums and concerts--or I did in the past. We got season tickets to the orchestra starting in February and are hoping by then all will be closer to normal.

Everyone, stay well!
Old 09-03-2021, 08:55 AM   #156  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

We were hit with 4.6 inches of Hurricane Ida rain. That's a bunch for us but it all of it fell straight down causing little damage. (Unlike New York that took some 9+ inches and flooded subways and first floor apartments.)

Feel like we have no reason to complain compared to some of the stresses in California and Florida.
Old 09-04-2021, 06:03 AM   #157  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post

Dagmar, why is your remaining "here time" finite? Because you are older, or because you are moving? I've always loved taking advantage of museums and concerts--or I did in the past. We got season tickets to the orchestra starting in February and are hoping by then all will be closer to normal.

Everyone, stay well!
My remaining "here time" will probably be 2 years as we have to sell the house and move to a smaller city so that we CAN retire. I would love to stay in Toronto for the rest of my life but economically that's not possible. We have a city picked out and we've been there 3 times to check things out and it's fine. We are also a 2 hour train ride away from Toronto so I will come in 3-4 times per year and have "vacations" here.

Dagmar
Old 09-04-2021, 06:05 AM   #158  

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillBlueEyes View Post
We were hit with 4.6 inches of Hurricane Ida rain. That's a bunch for us but it all of it fell straight down causing little damage. (Unlike New York that took some 9+ inches and flooded subways and first floor apartments.)

Feel like we have no reason to complain compared to some of the stresses in California and Florida.
Glad you and yours are OK Bill. Imagine living in New Orleans and what they are going through again.

Dagmar
Old 09-04-2021, 02:01 PM   #159  

Bill, I'm so glad that you came through the storm okay! Unfortunately, it's the new normal. Once again I have to feel gratitude for living in the very ugly south San Joaquin Valley of California, which doesn't get burned up or flooded, just very hot weather, bad air quality and is a cultural black hole.

We are finally getting cooler nights, and a tad bit cooler during the day. After my short backpack (or car camp) I'll get started on my fall gardening list. Meanwhile I'll have a day of flattening cardboard for the recycle bin. It's amazing how much cardboard today's online shopping style involves.
Old 09-06-2021, 04:04 PM   #160  

Finishing off my last day of "staycation". Beautiful sunny and cooler weather. Trixie and I saw a group of 4 deer, 2 minks, and a couple of rabbits and squirrels when we went to Bluffer's Park this morning. One of my online friends said seeing a deer in Toronto is like seeing a unicorn and she's right. It's still a thrill, particularly when there is a group of them.

Going to wind down with a light dinner and some TV and then get ready to greet the dogs tomorrow. They will all be quite loony (always are after I've been away) so I'm taking along extra special chicken treats to keep their attention.

Dagmar
Old 09-07-2021, 03:58 PM   #161  

Fantastique
Old 09-08-2021, 09:47 AM   #162  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hi, Bouba11! Welcome! Tell us something about your journey.
Old 09-13-2021, 03:24 PM   #163  

I did my one-night backpack. It was fabulous! I picked up an unexpected young companion at the trailhead. She was part of a Sierra Club group, but had to return to her vehicle because she remembered a bag of chips was on the front seat, and it's an active bear area. The group couldn't wait for her and she was debating what to do. I invited her to go with me, and she turned out to be a delightful backpacking partner. She spent her childhood in Singapore and is Sikh, a faith I knew little about. It was interesting to learn more about that, and more about young people in general, since I don't spend much time with "kids" in their late 20's. They are certainly photo-obsessed

Sure glad I got the trip in when I did, because now a new fire has caused the road to that area to be closed and there's a mandatory evacuation. The fire is nowhere near where we hiked, but there is only one 26 mile road in and out. The fire might impact the lower part of the road.

I lost 2 pounds on the trip. Now to see how long it might stay off
Old 09-14-2021, 06:07 AM   #164  

I'm glad you enjoyed your backpacking trip Alice. It's refreshing to talk to someone who is of a different "time and place". Always interesting to get a different perspective of the world.

I agree that a lot of young people take a lot of photos with their phones. I think it's not just them though. I see all sorts of older people (mostly women sadly) who never take the phone out of their hand. My phone sits in my car most of the day and then on my work dresser.

Dagmar
Old 09-16-2021, 08:07 AM   #165  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Got in a car accident a couple days ago. The other car ran a red light and T-boned me in the intersection. Both cars are probably totaled.

I don't have any broken bones, but I'm very sore and bruised. The seat belt and airbags did what they were supposed to, for which I'm grateful. The seat belt left me with a big purple bruise across my lower abdomen, a scrape on my neck, and bruises on my chest, but I'll heal. The side airbags kept me from a head injury.

I was hit on the driver's side, but the rear door. My car spun more than 180 degrees before it came to a stop. The other car hit head on and its front end was smashed in.

Not really thinking about my weight today! Ha!
Closed Thread