Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 11-09-2021, 08:46 AM   #196  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

Oh, I don't mess with fresh vegetables much. I prefer the high-end frozen vegetables and combinations. Salad doesn't work that way, of course, and so a lot of the time I eat salads when we go out now. If we do want salad at home, we usually buy prepackaged greens.

In Florida, the seasons are reversed to some extent. Strawberry season is in the winter--usually peaking around February.

How was the theater event, Dagmar? Dante's Inferno, huh? Sounds like Halloween.
Old 11-10-2021, 07:56 PM   #197  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

JayEll I didn't really like much of the theatre performance. It was an interesting try at doing something different from audience sitting in a theatre but I found the acting to be kind of lackluster and there didn't really seem to be a narrative tying the individual bits together. The ending was performed by a guy in a poop suit ( you read that right) wearing a clown nose. He serenaded us out with guitar accompaniment.

I did really like walking around the St. Lawrence Market 'behind the scenes" and I did enjoy one individual performance by a guy dressed as a security guard. I imagine there will be more things "done different" coming out of the pandemic and I will try to see some performances that are different to what I'm used to seeing when I go to the theatre or to a concert or to a dance event.

Dagmar
Old 11-20-2021, 01:13 PM   #198  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

I have news! I had a consult about a knee replacement on Thursday, thinking it would take several months to actually get one, and I wanted to be recovered enough for hiking next summer. Well, he wants to do it next month!! I'll be getting a Nanoknee with Dr. Ferro. My DH is on board and knows he'll have to stay home for a few weeks to do all the chores. I'll post more info when I have the surgery date. My guess is that most patients don't want to have the surgery right before the holidays, but me, i'm fine with it.

Sadly, (or maybe happily) that's all the news I have. Oh, except my little 2 month old granddaughter who had the heart surgery is doing very well. She had the surgery about 3 weeks ago. Her parents are amazed at how active and alert she is. They thought she was alert before, but now that her heart is getting all the oxygen it needs, she is a lot more active, and all smiles!
Old 11-20-2021, 01:22 PM   #199  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Alice - That's great news about you knee replacement and about your DGD's heart surgery. What an uplifting post.

I'm off to pick up our (6 yo) DGD for an overnight. Big deal for us; she's an active kid. Her parents wanted a date night including a choice restaurant. We've got lots of things planned. And new books to read. Will be much joy but we'll be exhausted.
Old 11-21-2021, 06:12 AM   #200  

Alice That's great news about both your knee and your grand daughter. Hoping for best possible outcomes for both of you. I'm sure you'll enjoy your hiking even more with the new knee.

Bill Have a great time with your DGD. Much joy followed by exhaustion sounds like a good thing.

I went to see Rosanne Cash last night. Great concert! Full band with her. And I had what I think is the best seat I've ever had for a concert. One of the 2 or 3 good things to come out of COVID times. As I take each step forward from pandemic times I'm really starting to feel like I live in Toronto again!

Dagmar
Old 11-23-2021, 08:31 AM   #201  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Alice, it sounds like you're very happy about your upcoming knee replacement! Good for you! I hope all goes well and that you work through the recovery with no problems. I know you'll be happy to be able to hike again.

We had plans to go out for Thanksgiving, but the restaurant we wanted has cancelled for the day, and it looks like most other places are closed as well. There's no way we can cook a traditional dinner here, but we do have the makings for something good. I'm going out today to get us a pie.

Dagmar, I'm glad you can get out to venues again. We have missed the orchestra. We have season tickets again, but the first concert isn't until February so we still have a wait. Fingers crossed that all goes well!
Old 11-26-2021, 01:05 PM   #202  

Bill, I hope you had a wonderful time with your DGD! Our 4 y.o. DGS completely wears us out when he comes to visit

JayEll, I hope you made some tasty untraditional food for Thanksgiving. My DH was recalling a previous year when he was out of town on Thanksgiving and ended up with a turkey sandwich from Subway.

Dagmar, how great that you got to see Roseanne Cash. You probably know that she cancelled her concerts in Florida because they couldn't be guaranteed a safe (as much as possible) venue for the fans.

Out here it is quite apparent that the Hispanic community is all in on masks, vaccinations, etc. It is the old rednecks that are still defiant. My county is still rated "High Transmission" and it's recommended for everyone, vaxxed or not, to wear masks at indoor public events. Not fun Oh well, off to burn away a few of the many many extra calories I ate yesterday.
Old 11-27-2021, 11:52 AM   #203  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinAtTheMoon View Post

Dagmar, how great that you got to see Roseanne Cash. You probably know that she cancelled her concerts in Florida because they couldn't be guaranteed a safe (as much as possible) venue for the fans.

Out here it is quite apparent that the Hispanic community is all in on masks, vaccinations, etc. It is the old rednecks that are still defiant. My county is still rated "High Transmission" and it's recommended for everyone, vaxxed or not, to wear masks at indoor public events. Not fun Oh well, off to burn away a few of the many many extra calories I ate yesterday.
Alice I wasn't aware that Rosanne Cash had cancelled concerts because of the COVID situation but that does explain a couple of remarks she mad to the audience in Toronto. She complimented us on recognizing the "social contract" and our compliance with it. And she and the band gave us a round of applause. We all had to show double vaccination proof from the federal government and had to wear a mask at all times to attend the concert. And we did it happily.

I read a very coherent and well thought out argument explaining why the American older, predominantly white working class has become so angry and frustrated, in the book "Caste" by Isabel Wilkerson. I can understand the "old rednecks" defiance though I don't agree with it. Not getting vaxxed (and probably voting for Trump) is the only form of protest with any consequences they can do against an erosion of their lives. We have a similar situation here with the people from the "oil patch" in western Canada voting for an ultra right wing of government and not getting vaxxed. IMO it's a very foolish and dangerous thing to do but they feel they have no other alternative.

Getting off the soapbox now.

Hope you all enjoyed your Thanksgiving!

Dagmar
Old 12-07-2021, 08:07 AM   #204  
Super Moderator

Dagmar,

Couldn't help but thinking of you when I was looking for boots at an REI Sporting Goods store and saw a neat looking Gore Tex shell. Thought to myself, I know prices, that must be about US$400. Nope, US$749!!! Your profession might be getting expensive to dress for. Nevertheless, hope you're staying warm out there.

Waving to all the stalwart maintainers. May you be unfazed by the Omicron variant. We're planning a small family gathering for Christmas Eve believing that vaccinations will protect us.
Old 12-07-2021, 08:25 AM   #205  

Bill Arc'teryx is one of the most expensive brands of sportswear. I have a pair of their Gortex shell pants but I buy most of my stuff at "The Last Hunt" so it's about 1/2 price of regular retail. Can't send it back though - all sales final - so I have wound up with a few duds that I've had to sell or give away. I have a very good idea of what brands fit me best and I tend to buy them repeatedly. I also get stuff at a hunting/fishing store and it tend to cost a bit less too - not as stylish as the premium brands but they have lots of pockets! I am fortunate in that I make enough that I can afford to outfit myself properly.

Good luck with your Christmas gathering and may all stay healthy!

Dagmar
Old 12-11-2021, 02:14 PM   #206  

Just stopping by to say hi.

JayEll, I hope you are enjoying some nice weather! We had our first freeze last night. You northern people, I hope you are staying bundled up and warm!

I'm working on shedding a few pounds to get back under 130 and ultimately back to 125. I'm not really sure why I was overeating enough to make it creep up, but it needs to go back down!. I was aware that I was doing it, but needed that "Oh No" moment to get myself back on track.

It's a beautiful sunny day and I'm headed outside shortly!!
Old 12-13-2021, 03:19 PM   #207  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Hi everyone!

We did have a good Thanksgiving. The next day, we went out to a different favorite restaurant and I had the traditional foods there.

We're taking a short trip next week just to get away from the same four walls for a few days. Our weather has been nice, but it's too hot for December. I hope it cools down, and that we get some rain.

I'm thinking that when the first of the year comes around, I'll start a new Chat thread without the date. We can just let it run until it gets to 500 posts. We hardly have anyone here much anymore. Plus... I'm thinking of drifting away. I can't say I'm interested in maintenance these days. What do you all think?
Old 12-14-2021, 09:00 AM   #208  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayEll View Post
Hi everyone!

We did have a good Thanksgiving. The next day, we went out to a different favorite restaurant and I had the traditional foods there.

We're taking a short trip next week just to get away from the same four walls for a few days. Our weather has been nice, but it's too hot for December. I hope it cools down, and that we get some rain.

I'm thinking that when the first of the year comes around, I'll start a new Chat thread without the date. We can just let it run until it gets to 500 posts. We hardly have anyone here much anymore. Plus... I'm thinking of drifting away. I can't say I'm interested in maintenance these days. What do you all think?
OK re the new thread. I am going to address my COVID gain and then maintenance after I lose the 6 lbs. But I can't be a "thread" with just me so I'm hoping Alice and Bill are still in. if not then so be it. Maintenance is for life but the forum doesn't have to be if you don't want to continue.

Dagmar
Old 12-14-2021, 09:07 AM   #209  
Super Moderator

I'm still in. I post daily in the Beck Forum, so only post here on occasion. If we become smaller, I'll post more often. I'd hate to see this thread die - it's been important to my loss/maintenance over the years.
Old 12-16-2021, 02:45 AM   #210  

I'm in too. I enjoy talking to you guys, and maybe we'll get a few new members who are legit. JayEll, you don't have to chat about weight maintenance to still be here.
Closed Thread