Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 01-19-2020, 02:22 PM   #31  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

Dagmar, I know you get a lot of exercise, but it really helps to work on your core, both front and back. Arms and legs can be strong, but you need those back and ab muscles for lifting tires without injury. Deadlifts and rows are excellent.

JayEll, your comments about Vit D have reminded me to take it during the winter months.

A new puppy adopted us. Someone dumped her and she ended up at my old neighbor's house. We were going to have Animal Control pick her up, but she did a total sales job as the world's best puppy, so DH and I have taken her on. Probably a mix with some pit bull in it, but she's extremely smart, happy, compliant and cute!! That's dog #4, so no more! The vet guessed 10-12 weeks old. She is mostly black and hopefully won't top 35 pounds.
Old 01-19-2020, 03:38 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Alice You and your husband are definitely animal people! Full house!

Most of the weight work I do is for my core and shoulders. Good to have strong arms and legs too though. And balance is important. I tripped over one of my big winter boots on the way down the basement steps this morning with an armload of dirty towels keeping my hands occupied. I managed to stay upright while kind of falling/running down about 7 steps before coming to a standstill a couple of inches from a brick wall. Whew! Again I credit yoga with giving me the balance and flexibility to stay upright.

No more boots on the stairs though.

Dagmar
Old 01-20-2020, 04:36 AM   #33  
learning maintenance

S/C/G: 159/120/118

Height: 5' 3.5"

Awwwww, a new pup!!! Any chance of posting a photo Alice?! Great adoption story.

I'm still going well with the food this week and have been completely on plan for 6 days out of the last 7 (with just a wobble yesterday due to it seeming a good idea to have a couple of bottles of champagne with our visitors from uk at the Opera House bar - well, it was their last day , so you have to give them some good last memories!!).

Spin class this morning - normally i'd get stuck in to a 45min class no probs, but chose a 30min one today and that was plenty! Still focusing on diet more than exercise for the next month, but i'll keep the gym classes ticking over so that i'm ready to crank them up when the weightloss thing is done.
Old 01-20-2020, 01:45 PM   #34  

Here is puppy Greta with her favorite toy - Mr. Weasel. (She also likes the snake but Weasel is more fun to shake and kill )

Old 01-20-2020, 02:38 PM   #35  
Workin' It

Alice - what a sweet puppy!

Ange - hey there!

Dagmar - ouch! Glad you didn't get hurt! I can't leave stuff on the stairs - I will manage to hit it, no matter how small it is.
Old 01-20-2020, 04:41 PM   #36  
learning maintenance

Alice - awwwww, what a sweetie Greta is. Lucky girl you rescued her!
Old 01-21-2020, 06:03 AM   #37  

Quote:
Originally Posted by HowlinAtTheMoon View Post
Here is puppy Greta with her favorite toy - Mr. Weasel. (She also likes the snake but Weasel is more fun to shake and kill )

Greta's a cutie mix!

Dagmar
Old 01-21-2020, 03:55 PM   #38  
learning maintenance

Eating is all on plan for me since the bubbles incident on Sunday, and i'm back to the regular gym schedule. Only problem now is that my bathroom scales haven't caught up to the program in the last 4 days, and haven't yet realised what a model of healthy behaviour i am! (Clearly low patience skills here). Anyway, the plan is to plough on til the end of Feb and see where i'm at so we'll stick with that. One kg more to go to hit the edges of my 'acceptable' box. 2.5kg more for living the dream.....
Old 01-21-2020, 04:45 PM   #39  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Greta

I restarted yoga, speaking of. Why do I lapse for such long periods of time? It is so beneficial for my body and mind.

This long weekend was supposed to be about getting chores done, exercising, making progress on work deadlines, resting up after being sick, etc. Instead I flew to San Francisco at the last minute my best friend had tix to the Harry Potter plays and her husband got the flu. She told me to be in SF by noon the next day so I bought a flight and immediately checked in Expensive but totally worth it.
Old 01-21-2020, 04:56 PM   #40  

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayZeeJay View Post
Greta

I restarted yoga, speaking of. Why do I lapse for such long periods of time? It is so beneficial for my body and mind.

This long weekend was supposed to be about getting chores done, exercising, making progress on work deadlines, resting up after being sick, etc. Instead I flew to San Francisco at the last minute my best friend had tix to the Harry Potter plays and her husband got the flu. She told me to be in SF by noon the next day so I bought a flight and immediately checked in Expensive but totally worth it.
Woohoo! Glad you went to the play!

Dagmar
Old 01-21-2020, 04:59 PM   #41  

I seem to have a case of post-holiday blues, coupled with end of January bills and general winter blahs. The package of one-bite brownies I inhaled about an hour ago did not help.

Dagmar
Old 01-23-2020, 09:29 AM   #42  

I have to get off the sugar, alcohol, caffeine treadmill this weekend. Alcohol is already gone - it was a one time event with left over Christmas booze. Most of the sugar is gone and I will throw out the rest tonite with the garbage pickup. Can't give up the caffeine entirely but I am going to cut down on the weekends. My house will be a lot dirtier and all sorts of small stuff won't get done but so be it.

Dagmar :
Old 01-23-2020, 04:10 PM   #43  
learning maintenance

Awwww, sorry you're finding the sweet things tempting Dagmar. Sounds like you have a winning plan though, and January's nearly done. Can't believe you're throwing caffine in to this mix - that's an essential quality-of-life ingredient if you ask me!

I'm now 12 days in to my post-holidays snap-diet and with a bit of fluctuation can say i'v definitely lost 1kg. 53.6kg this morning.
i'm still 1lb off my 'acceptable weight' box and about 4lb off where i'm aiming for (note the slick change from metric to imperial.....) but still feeling pretty motivated to get this done by end Feb.

Just booked flights back to UK last night to go see my parents next week for a few days - it's pretty quiet at work (it's summer holidays here so not much happens in January) so a good opportunity to go do a quick visit as mum's just been diagnosed with Alzheimers (she's 91) and Dad's pretty upset.

Last edited by ange82much; 01-23-2020 at 04:10 PM.
Old 01-24-2020, 05:59 AM   #44  

ange So sorry about your mom's diagnosis. I hope you visit reassures your dad and that there are treatment options for your mom.

Dagmar
Old 01-24-2020, 01:06 PM   #45  

Ange, too bad about your mom's diagnosis, but at 91 most people are having memory issues of some sort! But I know it will be hard on your dad. Have a good trip!

Dagmar, hang in there! I wouldn't be willing to give up caffeine. It's bad enough to avoid all those other things I'd like to eat and drink. I need to pick my battles, and caffeine is a lesser concern.
Closed Thread