Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 04-18-2020, 09:16 AM   #151  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Height: 5'3"

I'm fortunate that I have a retirement income. I have been making extra donations to help places keep going, like our spiritual centers and animal shelters. And we try to buy takeout from time to time to keep the food places in business, limited though that is.
Old 04-20-2020, 11:52 AM   #152  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

It's a dreary, rainy day today. We need the rain, but the gloom doesn't help. Plus, can't go out for a walk.

I feel myself changing in the midst of this. I wonder who I'll be when the crisis winds down.

Texting is my main way of connecting, other than face to face. Zoom meetups just don't do it for me, although it's nice they are available. But there's only so much that can be conveyed with texting. And in Zoom meetings I feel like I'm just watching another video in which I'm not really participating.

Last edited by JayEll; 04-20-2020 at 11:52 AM.
Old 04-20-2020, 03:58 PM   #153  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Brilliants sunshine here today. Many many people outside. It's going to be harder and harder to force people to stay inside. They've been cooped up (in Canada) since around the beginning of November. And the social distancing is starting to erode. People are pack animals and socializing via electronic box isn't the same as being face to face.

I managed to work around everyone. Had an officious twatdaddle tell me "you can't park there" when i stopped my car to drop off one of the dogs. I know dude - that's why my 4 ways are on. Stop already.

Dagmar
Old 04-23-2020, 12:40 PM   #154  
Workin' It

People aren't staying inside here either, Dagmar. We ran and picked up a curbside order on Saturday, and I was stunned at the huge volume of people out on foot all inside each other's space.
Old 04-23-2020, 01:18 PM   #155  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

Shannon, your state seems determined to be the first to really ramp up the outbreak again

Here in CA, at one grocery store you must wear a mask to enter, the aisles are one-way and the employees are very strict about distances. At another store about half the people wear masks and there is not much distancing. I have learned to keep my cart behind me in the checkout line to prevent others from coming close. I live out in the sticks so I have no idea what the towns look like day to day. All I know is I don't want this virus!!
Old 04-23-2020, 02:44 PM   #156  

I tried 4 different grocery stores before deciding to go with the current one. I don't normally shop there - more selection at my "usual" - but they have a senior's hour and they wave the seniors in at the end of it too. They have distancing markers placed on the floor at the checkouts. Outside in line I usually "stone-face" people if they come closer than 2 concrete slabs - LOL.

I don't have masks yet. Ordered them 2 weeks ago from someone who makes them and have put in a message to her today. I understand that people who normally don't produce things in huge volume may be swamped with orders but I'd like to get the masks. I have the feeling that they will become mandatory for the next wave of the virus.

Shannon I hope you and Ken can stay well and safe despite what the rest of your state is doing. So hard to cope as is.

We had another brilliant sunny day. Damn cold though so people stayed inside. I don't know whether it's the cold or the heavy parka or the stress or a combination of all those things but I felt totally wiped out after what normally would be an easy day for me. Didn't get my last errand run. That's OK - going to take a long nap to recover and prepare for making dinner.

Dagmar
Old 04-25-2020, 09:43 AM   #157  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Our seniors' hour on two days a week is 7 to 8 a.m. It's really hard for me to be in a grocery store that early... makes me want to cry. It's my idea of he11. Not because of crowding, but just being in the store that early. In fact, the regular opening at 8 a.m. is kinda too early for me as well.

I just had to go early last week to try to find a couple of items. And I did, and now I don't have to try going early. Also, the shelves are becoming more normally stocked. This is wonderful.

It would be nice if there were any single, clear mandate for the prevention/safety stuff, but it seems so arbitrary and chaotic here in the U.S. Like wearing masks--some states mandate them outside the house. Mine does not, but many people wear them. I don't wear mine out of doors, but I do wear it in the store.

Last edited by JayEll; 04-25-2020 at 09:44 AM.
Old 04-25-2020, 01:47 PM   #158  

Beautiful day out today! Finally knuckled down and did the lawn repair, put cedar mulch on the front bee and butterfly garden after weeding, and am taking a nap before tackling the other 2 hours of mulching in the backyard. Nice to be doing it in the sun without a parka.

More weird access stuff with the banks. I have a 5 minute transaction that I want to do in cash, have always done in cash for specific reasons. Had to make an appointment for an hour and will be showing up in my dirty dog clothes with Trixie in tow probably due to the only time available before the bill becomes overdue. Last month I could go to one bank that was open Saturday from 11 - 4 p.m. Not any more. Things change so quickly.

Dagmar
Old 04-27-2020, 01:16 PM   #159  

S/C/G: 184/132/125

Height: 5'5"

There's never much new to report these days. I've noticed an uptick of spam emails, trying to get me to divulge account info for Paypal, Amazon and various bank accounts I don't have. Our recycle bin was stolen - no idea why anyone would want it. The trash company will bring us a new one today. Greta is old enough to get spayed and I need to make an appt for next week. My gardening hours have been cut due to the hotter weather. I just can't work in the heat any more. Still haven't seen the stimulus check. Maybe Social Security recipients will be last.

And that's about it. Dagmar, hope your bank appt went smoothly. I wouldn't even know how to deal with a bank, it's been so long since I've been in one. Jayell, I feel pretty safe outdoors as long as I can stay away from people. Or I hold my breath as I walk by, like I do when people are smoking. I think the indoor air is much more of a problem. However, I believe they have linked over 40 Covid cases to the Milwaukee election fiasco.
Old 04-28-2020, 09:14 AM   #160  

Alice I'm getting a lot more scam emails too and I've noticed a lot more animals up for adoption through individuals, rather than rescues. These individuals have a different animal every day so I'm very suspicious of those things and don't click on any links to even view details of the animal.

My bank appointment is tomorrow. I got a boilerplate reply indicating they didn't read my comments. That's fine - they are busy and understaffed, like the rest of the world. I'll show up with my envelope full of cash and see how it goes. I find adapting to whatever comes up takes a lot less energy than resisting these days.

Dagmar
Old 04-28-2020, 01:34 PM   #161  
Workin' It

Oh yeah, Georgia is just determined to rock on down the path of crazy, it seems. The first things reopened were bowling alleys, tattoo parlors, massage parlors, nail salons, and hairdressers. All told to socially distance and stay three feet apart. Really?

We're waiting to see the fallout - give us two weeks. We aren't really excited.
Old 04-29-2020, 06:05 AM   #162  

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Oh yeah, Georgia is just determined to rock on down the path of crazy, it seems. The first things reopened were bowling alleys, tattoo parlors, massage parlors, nail salons, and hairdressers. All told to socially distance and stay three feet apart. Really?

We're waiting to see the fallout - give us two weeks. We aren't really excited.
Yeah, that is a bit nuts. How do you cut hair or tattoo someone or give them a manicure or massage from 3 feet away?

Dagmar
Old 04-30-2020, 09:18 AM   #163  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

Obviously you can't stay 3 feet away to do a tattoo or massage. But, those businesses have always had pretty strict guidelines for safety. Masks will do a lot. Tattooists are always supposed to wear gloves as well, I think--but massage therapists aren't, as far as I know. In any case, use of clean linens, appropriate barriers, and plenty of hand washing and sanitizer should still do the trick. I guess we'll find out!

Bowling alleys. Huh. So interesting, Shannon.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:11 AM   #164  

2 of the 4 COVID lbs. are gone. I should be in my "summer weight range" - 132 - 135 lbs. - by the end of May.

Dagmar :
Old 05-06-2020, 08:43 AM   #165  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

If the airlines are going to require facemasks on airplanes, I guess we won't be traveling this year. I can't see putting up with wearing a facemask for hours.

I really feel for the people who have to travel for their work.
Closed Thread