Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-10-2017, 09:11 AM   #211  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Monday morning, at 156.6. Well, at least I stabilized yesterday.

The play that I saw, "Sweat," was about people in Reading, PA, and the bar near the factory where they work. The factory goes through a shutdown when operations move to Mexico. Very timely and very truthful, and very heartfelt. Reminded me of family and my late father. Not everyone will go to a university and learn programming, and what is to become of them all?

I'm in the office and intimidated by a row of meetings and training that has to happen this week. And sad because I can't head Upstate for the Easter weekend due to having to present at a meeting next Monday.

Last edited by saef; 04-11-2017 at 05:49 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 04:43 AM   #212  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I'm thinking of getting a chalkboard to prop up in the kitchen with our weekly menu on it. A piece of paper pinned up doesn't quite do the job at present.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 05:52 AM   #213  
Girl Gone Strong

Tuesday morning at 156.1. Now if I could just not yo-yo right back up a half-pound, that would be progress.

The credit card bill came due for my Tucson visit, and the accounting firm that I engaged for the first time to do my taxes isn't answering my phone call about their status. I'd sent in all the paperwork back in February.

And I have the usual meetings to sit through and participate in today, including one where I'll have to sound intelligent about two documents that I submitted for public review.
Old 04-11-2017, 08:56 AM   #214  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I got in my exercise this morning, so I feel good about that.

Our estimator is out due to a bad back. She had an MRI that shows a disc herniation which is causing her horrible sciatic pain. Last night, she said that she needs surgery as her insurance won't allow pain blocking shots, so she's out on disability until healed. And just before we leave for vacation. Why is it my employees pick bad times to get sick?
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2017, 02:12 PM   #215  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Hello to everyone! We've returned from the cruise, and as was the case last year I was up about a pound and half. Had to be due to lower cortisol, more sleep and more activity, because it certainly wasn't less calories! I tend to favor the seafood and vegetarian options on cruises though, just for the unfamiliarity. !We had wonderful weather, smooth seas, and relaxed with gusto. I confirmed something that my spouse has been telling me for years - wearing glasses seems to accelerate vision loss. After a week of deliberately not wearing my glasses unless I really needed them, and spending a much greater amount of time not focusing on something 18-24" in front of me for hours on end, I was finding that I could read print again. Interesting!

Shannon, my friends and relatives who dislike the hydrocodone find that good old Tylenol has been just fine for them in most cases. I agree with JayEll about saving the "loopy" drugs for nighttime. A great smile is an excellent investment - you'll find yourself using it every day and in more and more circumstances! I'm heading to the dentist (new one) for the first time in 2 1/2 years on Thursday. I will be facing a lot of silver filling replacements and new composites eventually - when I had braces as a teen I was OCD about brushing and did a major amount of damage to my enamel down at the gumline. My original dentist sold off his solo practice and went in with one of the "mega" dentists and I HATED the new place. Always felt like I was nothing more than another payment on their glitterati equipment. So I didn't go. I am not sure the new dentist is going to be the one I want to tackle the silver filling removal ... but she does have many positive recommendations in our local area.

On to taxes.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:58 AM   #216  
in development

A good day in the garden yesterday and I can feel it. Kneeling in narrow places and reaching and forking in compost - all this underlines how good it is that I almost always run through a flexibility programme in the morning.

Eating is not good. I've spotted a connection between pain in my head (this means I am tired and have to rest) and eating something, usually a carbohydrate which really underlines the tiredness. I suppose it could be protective! But now I've spotted the pain in head/tiredness/must rest connection perhaps I could miss out the carb step.

Becky, good to see you back. That glasses thing is interesting. Have you looked into the Bates method?
Old 04-12-2017, 09:43 AM   #217  
Girl Gone Strong

Wednesday morning, stable at 156.1.

But it was the morning of putting on tight clothes and taking them off again, going through three different tops before heading off to work, still dissatisfied. I had a speedy commute. Lots of schools are having a break this week between Passover and Holy Week.

The weather is warm and splendid and I can feel myself tentatively opening up.
Old 04-12-2017, 10:16 AM   #218  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Becky-- you were on Freedom of the Seas? If so, I'm pretty sure we were in at least one port at the same time. Did you do excursions? We snorkeled with giant stingrays and turtles! How did you like the "mega ship". What was different about it from smaller ships?
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 02:21 PM   #219  
Workin' It

Becky - glad you had a good trip! And I agree on the glasses, too. I'm new to glasses and I find that when I forget to wear them over the weekend I settle back in to clearer visionby Sunday. Then when I wear them again on Monday, Monday night is blurry again without them.

Birchie - I know other people who get headaches from carbs. Do you think yours are happening when you eat them, or later when you are coming back down from the carb high?
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2017, 03:42 PM   #220  
in development

You know, Shannon, I don't think I get a carb high! I get a carb conk out.

1. I think I'm getting headaches from lack of sleep/tiredness. That's either because of point 3 (below) or because of family things keeping me up past my bedtime.
2. I eat some carbs because they make me sleepy and so force me to rest or even go into a carb coma, and therefore get rid of headache (for a while).
3. Then I feel weird and also a bit tired which may feed into the beginning of the cycle (though I'm not sure about this).

You may remember I was doing really well on high fat / low carb eating a little while ago. Then I became a bit constipated because of eggs and it suddenly became too difficult to keep it all together. I am trying to but the low carb bit isn't falling into place as it did. And I seem to have become even more sensitive to carbs. I think I may add a couple of tbsps of muesli back into my breakfast and see where that gets me. It's really not working well at present.

I've bought a small chalkboard for the kitchen and we're using it for the weekly menu. It will help in being explicit about what's going to be eaten when. The SO made spicy chickpeas tonight and we'll have them with cod tomorrow.

I must have an early night tonight.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:06 AM   #221  
in development

Early night worked well. I woke at 5am which wasn't part of the plan.

I've been reading that having a 10 minute walk after meals is a good thing to do. Before I moved office I always used to have a 30 minute walk after lunch but I don't do that now. I should reinstate it.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:19 AM   #222  
Girl Gone Strong

Thursday morning, down to 155.2.

I don't like how I got there, though. Yesterday after I arrived at work, I opened my purse to get something and discovered my wallet was gone. I had a moment of panic, then remembered placing the wallet on my desk at home because I needed to remove the credit card for my HSA account and enter the number into an Internet form. I knew that's where my wallet still was. In other words, I went to school and forgot my lunch money.

I was uncomfortably hungry for half the day but subsisted on a pear, a banana, an apple and a stale Quest bar that I found way in the back of my desk drawer. I left work promptly at 5:15, over an hour earlier than usual, because I was ravenous for dinner.

I hate being hungry but it looks as though it's effective.
Old 04-13-2017, 09:26 AM   #223  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

The Easter long weekend is always a challenge. Since most people have to work today they are all driving around like lunatics because things will be closed tomorrow. I'm taking great care with driving and entering and exiting the car. Also watching for people completely ignoring things like red lights, stop signs, etc.

Gonna be a day.

Dagmar (staying calm and carrying on)
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2017, 09:35 AM   #224  
in development

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
I hate being hungry but it looks as though it's effective.
Interesting finding, saef!I am still eating much too much although I'm putting some other good habits back in place.

Just in from post lunch walkies. The violets are out and the teenage lambs are terrorising hedges and each other.

Be careful out there, Dagmar. I do not intend to go anywhere over the next few days. Living in a tourist area means that holiday times can be a bit fraught.

OK, back to work now.
Old 04-13-2017, 01:47 PM   #225  
Workin' It

I am wiped out tired today. This is open enrollment week, so I have to drive to each of the restaurants. Monday was downtown - traffic moved fine, but I went super early in case the bridge out had an impact. (It did, I just missed it so early.) Up for yoga/headspace at 4:45a, left the house at 6a, got home at 7:45p. Tuesday was one north of me, 1:30 drive. Up by 4:30a for exercise/yoga/headspace, out by 7:30a, home at 6:30p. Yesterday was Athens - had to go a different route for bridge out - two hours there, 2.5 hours back. Up at 4:45a for yoga/headspace, out of the house at 6a, home at 8:30p. Came home to DSS working on a crap ton of homework, then having to do an assignment he'd had for three weeks and failed to do and the teacher had to call us yesterday as it was a day overdue. He ended up until 11:30 working on it, dad and I were up until 12:30 getting things printed and settled. Back up at 4:30a for exercise/yoga/headspace and to get the boy ready for school. Drop off at 8:20 and off to the local restaurant, should be home by 6 I hope. Tomorrow is another up at 4:30, out at 6, hour drive, there until 6 on the schedule. I need the weekend to come fast.

I think we are staying home for Easter. Some family drama resulted in my family event being cancelled, and my cousin who stepped up to host something is 45 minutes further away then my parents. 1:30 drive Sunday was bad enough, 2:15 isn't happening after this week. Plus, the boy is in some trouble after last night.

Saef - scary about the wallet. I've done that, too. It throws a wrench in the day but good.

Good rest of the week, all.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote