Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Old 04-24-2017, 02:32 AM   #271  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I plan to plan the week's meals today and shop for what we need. I'll do as much as I can but, of course, there are other things on the list as well. The physio treated two jammed up bits of my spine and I'm feeling less cronky as a result. I'm going to look into a laptop stand for when I'm working at home - which is much more frequent these days.

Very glad to hear that things are improving at work, Andrea.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 09:31 AM   #272  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I am now weighing on the first and last Mondays of the month. For April I am the exact same weight (to the decimal) this week as I was the first week of the month.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2017, 10:07 AM   #273  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Monday morning at 156.8. This is better than last Monday, at 158.3.

I'm hoping for a moment alone with the head of our division, to bring up the subject of my taking a job in another department that rolls up under her. I want to start this conversation at the top, since she'd have to mediate between the two department heads if there was trouble about me moving into another job.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 02:43 AM   #274  
in development

Will look into a laptop stand today, I hope. Got rather waylaid by events yesterday. Had trout for tea last night and will have cod tonight. Fish looked good when I went shopping yesterday.

Dagmar, excellent work on maintaining! To the decimal? Amazing.

Saef, hope you caught the head of your division for a quick chat.
Old 04-25-2017, 05:27 AM   #275  
Girl Gone Strong

Tuesday morning at 156.9. Going hungry may not count for much if, when I eat, I eat too much or eat something salty.

I did not catch the head of my division, who's been sequestered in conference rooms in another part of the building complex. But I did get some advice from a project manager whom I worked with over the past year. She told me: "Trust no one." Also to pin down the department head on whether he's willing to push for me moving over to his department given the resistance he'll face from my current department. This infuriates me. It feels like ownership, not employment.

I've been watching episodes of "Wolf Hall," which are bringing the books back to mind, and putting me into the mood for a re-read. Mark Rylance is excellent though he looks nothing like the Holbein portrait of Cromwell.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:30 AM   #276  
in development

When we leave my mother's by car we usually stop at Montacute House and walk around for a change of scene and to decompress. They filmed large parts of Wolf Hall there a few years ago and the place was littered with props and other bits and pieces for a time. It really is a most beautiful place - house, gardens and estate. I've had a few business meetings there too, over the years, in the cafe and walking about.

(I may have told you this before. Sorry if I have.)

Time for lunch here. Devilled sardines and salad. I really like this meal.

Last edited by silverbirch; 04-25-2017 at 07:32 AM.
Old 04-25-2017, 07:54 AM   #277  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Saef, I know your frustration - and they DO see it as ownership. I have worked for several companies now that do a nice job with providing good salary, good-to-GREAT benefits, and work hard to create a "jovial" working atmosphere with elaborate offsites and regular catered lunches. And yet they seem confused that a significant percentage of those workers will quit when they are treated like chess pieces and shuffled (under the guise of "cross-training") without requesting or accepting ANY input regarding what they would like to do next. My last employer is infamous for promoting people without warning or agreement! Personally, I would far rather work for someone who's interested in what I want out of a job or career and willing to collaborate on a path forward or sideways. IMO, there is no greater HR crime than forcing someone who has mastered a position to stay in it or quit. Good luck!

Dagmar, that is a wonderful achievement! Confirms that your lifestyle changes stuck. I want to get to where you are.

Silver, I've been on a bit of a shrimp binge lately. Quick protein, versatile to seasonings and calorie-friendly. Fresh trout ... yum!

Andrea, glad to hear life is settling down for you. Hopefully your chair will digest the term "burned out" and carefully consider the ramifications of not hearing you out and giving you some recovery time.

I'm at 161.0 today, on the backside of a spike from a couple of restaurant meals. Work continues.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2017, 11:41 AM   #278  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Hi ladies,

I just caught up with posts for the past week or two. Life was a bit hectic recently. I traveled to CA to give guest lectures then visit family a few hours away. In an attempt to be green I took only public transportation. It ended up being 4 flights, 2 shuttle buses, and 7 different train rides in 4 days. The protests at Berkeley BART station snarled everything. I ended up having dinner late Easter Sunday with my mother in law at an Outback Steakhouse (every vegetarian's dream). It was the only thing open that late.

I did have a good birthday dinner last week with my husband, including a wonderful dessert. Then I woke up the next morning with bad GI pain and "signs" that lasted a few days. It didn't seem like food poisoning per se; a mild virus? Hard to say. Fortunately it wasn't bad enough to keep me from work.

I haven't weighed in a little while. I'm still bouncing between indulging too frequently in desserts (almost every night if I'm honest, and not just the "tiny square of dark chocolate" advised by nutritionists), and exercising hard but too sporadically. I did get a 14 mile run this weekend. I really need to take a page from Andrea's book and become consistent in eating and exercise, for a long period of time. Well done on that Andrea, btw! And I'm very glad that your work stress/load is becoming more manageable.
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 05:30 AM   #279  
Girl Gone Strong

Wednesday morning at 154.8, which looks like a whoosh when written here, but feels hard-earned and precarious.

I writhed in my Aeron yesterday and paced like the addict that I am, and drank many tall traveling cups of decaffeinated coffee, then switched to tea. I was so ravenous, I cooked dinner before 6 PM. I just wanted food, food, food. Also, to be warm, because temperatures dropped enough yesterday for the heat to kick back on.

Yesterday, the department head told me he may have something for me in late June. He definitely wants me working for him. Now I have to prepare my manager and her manager for my departure. I'm not sure how to do that without blurting it all out immediately, and I'll be reflecting on it during my morning workout.

Last edited by saef; 04-26-2017 at 03:06 PM.
Old 04-26-2017, 10:07 AM   #280  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Will this be a good move for you Saef, job-wise? I hope it will be less stressful!
And good job on the hard earned whoosh!

I had an upward whoosh! Went to my fancy shin-dig last night and a catered dinner eaten later than usual (and with a cookie but no bread) plus just a dog walk but no hard exercise = 2 pound weight gain and sheer exhaustion.

My throat is sore due to trying to speak up over a very loud crowd so reading to my kindergartners today should be tricky.

Painters coming this afternoon to give me an estimate so I'm hoping I can rally after that to still go to the gym....
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 02:25 AM   #281  
in development

Quick hello to put myself on track this morning. Yesterday turned out much busier than I'd expected. One of the lenses in my vari-focal glasses I use for the computer has broken and I'm using my reading glasses. My eyes feel quite tired by it.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:21 AM   #282  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

I remember the first time in my adult life when my weight (finally) dropped below 130 (late 2010). It felt amazing, almost magical after a lifetime in the overweight range. I couldn't believe that I was actually capable, after 20+ yo-yo diets over the preceding 30 years, of losing a significant amount of weight. Over the next 5-ish years, through early 2016, I grew complacent in my ability to maintain a weight well below that number, and swore I'd never see 130 on the scale again. Well, today I finally saw 129.6 and it feels a lot like that first time: amazing. Friends, I was really convinced that some irreversible middle-age metabolic slowdown or appetite increase had made it impossible for me to lose weight ever again, and I was going to keep gaining, 1-2 pounds every few months, from now into perpetuity. I couldnt.stop.overeating at night.

So, what's helping? I don't know. I nearly simultaneously made several changes that could be contributing. First, work-stress is easing off (though still pretty intense), second, I no longer eat grain products at dinner or beyond, and finally, my doctor has added weekly mega-doses of Vit. D (4 more weeks to go) and raised my armour thyroid dose. Whatever it is, I'm not eating after dinner anymore and I'm a lot less hungry overall. Wish I could package this feeling and sell it, or at least put it away in a drawer to retrieve the next time I start to spiral out of control. Because I know I will. Possibly as soon as tomorrow. Because the only thing that seems certain, after 7 years on the diet journey, is that this is a process that doesn't seem to hold still for very long.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:17 AM   #283  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

Andrea Glad you're in a happier state of mind right now.

Life is change. Our bodies change all the time so we have to change the weight loss and maintenance game plan.

I know I'm doing the minimal amount to maintain my weight right now and am really happy about that. But I know it will change. That is the way of things. (insert Yoda smilie here)

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:20 AM   #284  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

You give me hope, Andrea. I, too, became complacent and am having the worst time losing. I really do think age has a lot to do with it. But I don't feel it is impossible at this time.
alinnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2017, 09:26 AM   #285  
Girl Gone Strong

Thursday morning, back up to 155.4, which I'd expected. It amazes me how much nicer I was to myself yesterday just because the scale was lower. It's as though I scolded myself and made myself sit in a corner as punishment, mentally, for having gotten to where I am.

Birchie, I visited the web page for Montacute House and fell into a reverie of my trip to England, now decades ago, during which I went into as many stately homes as my hostess could possibly stand. I was staying in Cheshire, which meant looking at the black-and-white houses, and Little Moreton Hall was wondrous, and creaky inside and redolent as an old ship. I had given up on ever going back to England, but this is a reminder that the only thing stopping me is myself. Tonight with any luck I'll watch the last episode of "Wolf Hall," which I've been enjoying, thinking about the Renaissance, through the lense of today's events, and sorting out those in that drama who seem insular and feudal, and those who seem European and open to influences of things happening in other countries.

Michele, the new job would be more stressful than my current job. That department is inundated with work and the people in it are close to burnout. That is why they're getting new headcount, to distribute the work more evenly across more people. I expect my arrival will mitigate some of the stress, but I do expect to be pushed. In the last few weeks, I have felt understimulated.

Andrea, I'm glad you've had a breakthrough. It sounds as though you are in good graces with yourself.

I have a hopeful feeling about today. My one-on-one with my manager yesterday was ... odd. I brought up the topic of my growth, and offered to talk about it next week, so we could prepare more. She unconvincingly told me how many opportunities there are and alluded to exactly the department that I am thinking of moving to. But there were long silences and her eyes kept going to other parts of the screen, where she may have been reading emails or checking her calendar. I think she was taken aback and did not know how to respond and started blocking. I still can't figure out how that call went. But I feel better for having introduced the subject.