Height: 5'4"

Becky on both job and weight fronts.

Dagmar
Mudpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:01 AM   #107  
Super Moderator

S/C/G: 239/173/165

Height: 5'9"

Congratulations, Becky, Bon Voyage on your new career.
BillBlueEyes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 09:57 AM   #108  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Thank you all for the kind wishes and support! I'm inspired by each of you and I need you to know that the way you go about your lives and share the struggles and victories here contributes mightily to the gumption I collected to do this thing.

Saef - Fortunately DH is happily employed with a huge auto company that has not yet implemented the now-common rule that spouses have to take their available insurance from their employers. I'm a full-bore fiscal conservative and political independent - and I find it completely appalling that we continue to allow politicians and insurance companies to strangle our freedoms to make a buck. I would very much like to see a single-payer system that has STRONG incentives for good lifestyle management, but healthy people don't generate enough profit. I agree with you re the strength training over cardio, and my hope for you is that something comes up soon that lets you use your incredible gift with words in a way that gives you joy! Composing a resignation letter certainly lifted my spirits.

Shannon - I'd like to think your doctor was trying to convey, "hey, I noticed" without being harsh. Variation is a fact of life and she may be allowing you leeway since this wasn't a long-term trend. You might hear something more if it stays higher at the next appointment or two.

Allison (and Shannon), I'd consider that fatigue to be a reason to go get a checkup. If you're still taking the BP meds, they might need an adjustment or something that simple. And if it's something that requires more, it would probably be better to root it out sooner rather than later. Re the job change, quitting can be contagious. I've had several people tell me that they have spent a lot of introspective time since they were made aware I was leaving, and thinking that perhaps they too need to look for something different. "Encore career" is a term of conversation now. I am looking forward to not having the "Sunday afternoon dreads."

Although I have two and a half weeks left of my job, I am already noticing that I'm being dropped off distribution lists. I think by this time next week, I am going to be actively searching for things to do to eat the time. Besides eat.
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 01:12 PM   #109  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

A belated congrats Becky!! Way to seize life
JayZeeJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2017, 10:06 PM   #110  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Wow Becky, what a brave and exciting decision. I really hope your next position is a big change for the better.
As a doctor, I have to say that we really do have a tough job addressing weight and healthy lifestyle choices. I try very hard to focus on emphasizing exercise and food quality rather than on body size, but when I get someone who has a BMI in the "obese and beyond" range, with multiple chronic illnesses brought on by the excess weight, it becomes the literal elephant in the room if I don't address weight loss directly. But BMIs in the overweight range are not a risk factor for anything and might even be protective for some people, so Saef and Shannon, you should simply be praised for your exercise habits and dietary choices.
neurodoc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 06:31 AM   #111  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

Saturday morning, and not looking forward to going outside. There's a whining wind and temperatures dropped to 15 degrees from 50 degrees just two days ago.

Weighed in at 153.2. I didn't know what the scale would do, but hoped being hungry yesterday helped.

I'm free now, and on vacation, with a car coming to take us to the airport tomorrow afternoon. We get into Tucson quite late, which will be tiring. I'm glad we'll be missing the Nor'easter in the forecast for next Tuesday.

Last edited by saef; 03-11-2017 at 06:31 AM.
saef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #112  
Girl Gone Strong

Sunday morning, and the scale says 153.4.

Message received: This lower weight correlates with the abatement of work stress. Even though I'm fretting as I always do before a vacation involving travel, flights, hotel, planning each day's activities & etc, that's a different kind of stress.

The car for the airport arrives at 2:30 PM no matter what I've managed to get done by then.
Old 03-16-2017, 09:35 AM   #113  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

9 more "get ups". I'm looking forward to a break from my alarm clock. I'm sure I will still be getting up before the sun due to DS and DH going about their business, but it will be a treat to enjoy my coffee without looking over my shoulder every five minutes and grumbling about having to get out the door.

Stuck in place weight-wise with no change in a few weeks. Yesterday my health club announced that there was a failure in the pool liner, and they have to take it out of commission for a full month. I am bummed. It's a beautiful club and has more types of equipment than I would have guessed would be out there, so I need to get busy and start trying some out.

Quiet week!
ICUwishing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2017, 01:12 PM   #114  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

I'm just eating too much. That's it in a nutshell.
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 12:07 PM   #115  
Workin' It

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
I'm just eating too much. That's it in a nutshell.
Yep. Me, too.
Shannon in ATL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2017, 01:13 PM   #116  
in development

Height: 5' 6"

Today was even worse. It's a kind of rebellion against what I have to do. It doesn't make any sense intellectually and it causes distress emotionally so I don't know ...
silverbirch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2017, 03:10 AM   #117  
Girl Gone Strong

Saturday morning, back from vacation.

154.8, better than I'd thought. I gorged myself on the last evening there -- that is, Thursday night -- on Mexican food. I haven't eaten this much in one sitting in over a year. Had a blackened fish taco, but then dipped into my mother's seafood stew, ate a big ear of elote corn, and finished the tableside gaucanole all by myself, some in spoonfuls, some using warm tortillas or chips.
Old 03-19-2017, 07:56 AM   #118  
Girl Gone Strong

Sunday morning, after my first full night's sleep in several days. Didn't want to get out of bed but pushed myself up at 5:30 AM. I must go back to work tomorrow.

The forecasted snow didn't really show up yesterday, which delights me, but I have those Sunday blues. My mother's still here and her presence is starting to wear on me.

I forgot: My weight was 154.6.

Last edited by saef; 03-20-2017 at 09:44 AM.
Old 03-19-2017, 10:39 AM   #119  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by silverbirch View Post
Today was even worse. It's a kind of rebellion against what I have to do. It doesn't make any sense intellectually and it causes distress emotionally so I don't know ...
I'm with you. I'm not sure what I'm doing. Feeling lost and confused. Frustrated that I'm regaining so quickly and I leave for my cruise in 10 days. Nothing fits. Ugh. Much stress and uncertainty at the moment for many reasons. Hopefully some answers will come through soon and that may help?

Also think I need to see the doctor this week. I've been struggling with asthma, allergies, a cold.... all of the above? Bronchitis? I need to be healthy to snorkel. Breathing is kind of important for that!
traveling michele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2017, 09:46 AM   #120  
Girl Gone Strong

Monday morning. Launched myself out of bed at 4:15 AM. Not a bad stint at the gym, with a much better-than-usual series of overhead presses.

Weight, at 156.3, put me in a low mood.

I'm at the office and catching up on email and undone tasks. I will listen to recordings of meetings that I missed, too.