Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #301  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

[QUOTE=JenMusic;4638717]
Jen (CherryPie) - Hi! I don't think we overlapped in posting much before I disappeared. It's nice to see another Jen, and another shorty. [QUOTE]

Hi jen!!

No, I don't think we did cross paths. Can I ask how old you are? Jennifer was a VERY popular name when I was born!

Jen
Old 02-20-2013, 10:18 AM   #302  
Workin' It

Jen/CP - I've been trying to figure out what flared it back up in this race, and I think I was actually running slower rather than faster. When I move faster everything tends to feel better, but I don't do it often enough. I tend to pull my stride shorter when I'm trying to stay slow, and I started this race trying hard to keep a slower pace so I didn't burn out too soon. When I lengthened it back out to normal I could tell that it felt better, but the damage was already done. Bah.
Old 02-20-2013, 12:49 PM   #303  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Jen/CP - I'm 35, born in 77. My mother swears up and down that, when they had me, I was the only Jennifer they knew, but then I had 3 Jennifers in my kindergarten class! My last name is rather unusual and it's what everyone called me in HS and college, and what I still call myself when I'm, um, talking to myself. We all do that, right?

Last edited by JenMusic; 02-20-2013 at 12:49 PM.
Old 02-20-2013, 01:49 PM   #304  

S/C/G: 344/119/116

Height: 5'1"

Shannon - Yuck!! I feel so bad for you! I am really surprised to hear that - maybe your stride was altered?

Jen - I was born in 1972 and there are SO many Jennifers! In fact, my sophomore year of college there were 9 girls on the floor and 5 of us were named Jennifer!!! My last name was Hudson so a guy friend began calling me "Huddy" and that stuck. Oh well, I've been called worse!
Old 02-20-2013, 02:06 PM   #305  
Workin' It

JenCP - Yeah, my stride was definitely altered. I also was running on the far right of the road, so was along the slanted down part of the roadbed that hits the sidewalk. I never run to the far right, I'm always a run inside close to the cones and stripe person. For some reason in this half and the half last year I stuck to the edge. So I hit everything that might make it hurt - I wasn't as prepared as I could have been, I changed my stride at a major event, I ran with the impacted foot on uneven and slanted pavement, I wore a top I had to fuss with (it hasn't been cold enough to need it before) so changed my upper body movements and I slowed my typical pace enough that I dragged my foot. I was a perfect storm of bad form.
Old 02-20-2013, 06:33 PM   #306  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Shannon, sorry about the IT band. When I used to run, that would flare up every once in a while. You must do all the stretches for it, right? As I recall, there were several. Does a foam roller help at all? Were you able to find something in your garage that will work for cardio, but doesn't cause pain?

CP, all right, you're famous! Didn't you star in Dream Girls? Like you've never heard that in the last few years. My sister was born in 1950 and given an unusual name during that decade that's since turned popular--Stephanie. If she'd been a boy, she would have been Stephen. Anyway, she's kind of ticked that Stephanie's become a popular name.

I had a nice victory yesterday when I was at the animal shelter. At the sign-in table, the volunteer director keeps a bowl of assorted candy. I was evaluating dogs from 9:30 am to 5:00 pm and was pretty exhausted when I signed out. The lure of the candy was strong because I needed a burst of energy, but after a long internal dialogue (you're tired, you need that; you don't need sugar, you'll just want more, yadda, yadda, yadda), I didn't take any. I was pretty proud of myself because being tired is definitely an eating trigger for me.
Old 02-21-2013, 09:42 AM   #307  
Girl Gone Strong

S/C/G: (H)247/(C)159/(Goal)142-138

Height: 5'3"

In honor of the women posting in this thread, I'll add a link to that witty observer Mike Doughty's song, "27 Jennifers"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nN_5kkYR6k

I'm trying to decide whether my form in the gym deteriorated measurably as a result of three straight days not following my routine. I thought I'd be rested & would see some gains, since rest days are supposed to be good for you, but apparently, that's a "no" for me. The day after I got back, I was so tired that I felt dangerously near quitting the whole project, which would realize my greatest fears. Do people ever come back from vacation & change their lives? I always find myself reassessing mine when I go away, but then it wears off within a week and I am eating & exercising just as I did before I went away.
Old 02-21-2013, 10:24 AM   #308  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Sheila-- my name was so common that there were always 3 or 4 Michele's (or Michelle's) in every class I was in. I was determined when I had my kids to name them something less common but not weird. My first dd is Katherine (Katie to us) and that ended up being super common. Like it wasn't until the year we named her (beginning of 1991), and then everyone was Katie, Katherine, Katelyn, etc. My second dd we named Stephanie and there have definitely been fewer Stephanie's-- she knows a few but not tons.

Saef-- you are/were just tired. Give yourself a break girl. You'll be back to regular form (and more) in no time!
Old 02-21-2013, 10:45 AM   #309  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

I was the only Allison until junior high where there was an Alison. Still not a common name at all.

I thought DD's name would be uncommon--Dana. In preschool, there was another Dana (male) who's father was also Dana.

And then there is my son, James, who we call Nicky (real name James Nicklaus). Where I worked at the hospital, two coworkers with girls born around the same time as Nicky were named Nacasia and Nicole. And their mom's called them bock Nicky (although I can't verify the spelling). Speaking of spelling, my next door neighbor insists on writing Nicky's name as Nikki. Now isn't that the most feminine way of spelling it? Now that he's 18, I suppose I should drop the Y. He goes by James at school now, too.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:09 AM   #310  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I wanted to name my oldest DS Terence , I loved that name but knew it would be abbreviated Terry and I knew a lot of female Terries so named him Timothy I had never known a Timothy or Timmy, I took him to a birthday party when he was about 5 and there were 3 Timmys there. Named DS # 2 David and of course he was Davy when he was young , when he got older and I thought that sounded too babyish I started calling him Dave. He instructed me not to call him Dave as that sounded too much like Davy, everybody in the world calls him Dave and I call him David.
Evidently my given name was popular when I was born as I have met many women about my age with the same name.

Last edited by bargoo; 02-21-2013 at 11:27 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:18 AM   #311  
Workin' It

I went to school with two other Shannon's in elementary school and high school, one was a boy and both around my age. Another one in college. In my adult life I know one other personally, a woman about ten years younger than me. My brother is named Brandon, one other in school with us and I know one as an adult who is about my brother's age.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:23 AM   #312  

After I named my DS, I wished I had named him Aiden James rather than James Nicklaus. He got his name because we were certain we were having a girl. While in labor, I told DH a dream I had had--that we had a boy and we couldn't keep the name we had chosen (Paige Anne) so we decided to name him James (for DH) and then DH chose the middle name based on his favorite golfer (Jack Nicklaus). We decided to go with the dream. Had we followed tradition, DS would have been named after the middle names of each grandfather. No way in heck would I allow my boy to go through life as Ralph Raymond!

DH has a cousin named Terry. He married a girl named Terry. They are referred to as Mr. Terry and Mrs. Terry (they've been married longer than us!).
Old 02-21-2013, 11:30 AM   #313  

S/C/G: 204/114/120

Height: 5'

I worked with a girl named Chris and she married a Chris. When she wanted to sign greeting card. with both names she would sign Chris X 2.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:35 AM   #314  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Allison, that's funny! I have a cousin named Teri who married a guy with the last name Tery. Thankfully, she divorced him, but not because she was tired of getting double takes when saying her name was Teri Tery. I love that your DH wanted to name your son after Jack Nicklaus. Does DS play golf, too?

Bargoo, I have a David also, although at one point he asked us to call him Dave. So when I say David, he knows he's gotten on my bad side. Just saw the Chris X2 comment--funny!

Last edited by Sheila53; 02-21-2013 at 11:36 AM.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:43 AM   #315  

bargoo~my brother, Raleigh, married Kari and they have two daughters, Krista and Karli. They sign their Christmas Cards R+K 3 (although with the 3 up above as in K to the 3rd power).

Sheila~we've tried to get DS to play golf. He gets frustrated with it when he hits badly (don't we all) so he's pretty much given up. He has a nice set of clubs, that if he decides to try again, should still be good for several years.

Our last name is Linnell. DH once dated a LaNell. Can you imagine that?

So we found out that the next tenant in the building here is someone we've done work for--Lennen Construction. Funny thing is is that our street is Lennon Place. Different spelling, same pronunciation.
Closed Thread