Living Maintenance general maintenance topics and discussions

Closed Thread

Old 02-22-2013, 11:37 AM   #331  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

'Twas me that mentioned Brain Over Binge, and I found it from a discussion on another 3FC forum--Chicks in Control, I think.

So I got on the scale this morning after getting on a couple of days ago and seeing 2 lbs. up. Today I saw 3 lbs. down (now 2.5 below redline). I hate letting the scale dictate my emotions, but when the scale was up, I was down; now the scale is down, and I'm up. Not so emotional about it that others notice, but more within myself. That nasty internal dialogue. I often wonder if my friends who don't obsess about weight have that same kind of internal dialogue about other thngs. It's not something you really talk about among your offline friends. Or at least I don't.

Welcome, JayZeeJay!
Old 02-22-2013, 11:55 AM   #332  

S/C/G: 173/in progress/140ish

Height: 5'8"

Confessions abound. And I'm in no place to do anything but add to the list. It's the time of year. Cold permeates and I dream of warmth, so to compensate I fix "comfort food" and consume copious quantities of cheese. Ooey gooey melted cheese on whatever foods will accept it (which, when you think of it, is a lot of different things). While I haven't been bingeing I have been consuming more calories than are warranted and therefore the slight gain I got on the holidays has settled in and a couple additional pounds have joined the party.

Tomorrow morning I have an insurance health exam. So no food or drink until that is over (need a fasting blood test). Thankfully she comes to our house and is nice enough to arrive at 7 AM. DH and I are both upping our life insurance due to the acquisition of the new building.

We're really, really close to finalizing our move, too! Next week I'll scrub the tile floors in the new building and then we'll move in the furniture. Some of the boxes of stuff have been hauled over so once the furniture is there all we need to do is unpack and reorganize. I see being comfortable ensconced there by Thursday--which we really have to be otherwise we'll face paying an additional month of rent here and with all the repairs we've been doing over there, we really can't afford that right now.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:07 PM   #333  

S/C/G: 178/134/125

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shannon in ATL View Post
Michele - did you buy a new dress for the auction?
LOL
Shannon-- so sorry you are feeling low. I HATE that one week you (reading I) can be down and happy, and the next up and grumpy. I'm down a bit this week but trying not to get complacent as that gets me EVERY TIME. I have to remember that even though I'm below my redline at the moment, I used to stay 5-7 pounds below it and couldn't DREAM of hitting it. Ha.

As for a dress-- nope. I tried one on and liked it somewhat but it was long and I couldn't see myself wearing it again. I am very cheap about some things and couldn't see spending over $100 for a dress. So, I'll wear my LBD (little black dress). It fits me well though I'll probably be freezing. If any parents at my school haven't seen my tattoos-- they will tonight-- it's bare backed and strapless! I did buy a pair of HIGH HEELS though. I never wear high heels as they always make my feet hurt. These seemed to have a thicker heel so I'm hoping I can wear them without my feet killing me. However, my instep/arch hurts this morning and I only wore them for a few minutes yesterday-- not a good sign.

Any suggestions for breaking in a new pair of high heels so my feet don't kill me?

They were a good deal-- only $35 at Macy's.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:16 PM   #334  
Workin' It

Michele - I've had to reset my redline so many times now I can't remember what it used to be. LOL I'm not good at breaking in new shoes either, but I love the way that they look, and yours will look awesome tonight with your sassy dress. On the other black dress that is too big now, would it be one that could be altered?

Allison - cheese goes well on everything. Absolutely. And bacon. When did we become a people who see bacon as a garnish and not an entree?

Sheila - I'm going to dive into this book this weekend. And I think everyone has their own internal dialogue about something, be it the scale or some other thing that tickles their awareness. And DSS is doing okay - the meds are keeping him in control during the day, but he is bouncing back to hyperactivity very hard at night. He has gotten in trouble a few times at his evening karate class, I think it is because he has a hard time slowing his head down and just can't focus and listen. But more better than bad I guess.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:38 PM   #335  
critter lover

S/C/G: 160+/152/~135 and healthy

Height: 5'6.5"

Thanks to all for the kind welcome!

Quote:
Originally Posted by saef View Post
Welcome JayZeeJay. Posts on these forums that aren't about our weight or bodies most frequently reference, in order:

1) Stress (with jobs as a subset)
2) Pets
3) Delicious food we have made or will make or have eaten
4) Children
5) Partners, husbands, wives, boyfriends, girlfriends or significant others

If you can contribute on any of these subjects, you'll elicit a lot of responses.
Thankfully, I have a lot to contribute to numbers 1,2 and 5. Hopefully number 3 as well, but I confess that since I got diagnosed a few months ago my meals have mostly been empty carbs stuffed in my mouth at the speed of light. But, it's time to end the period of mourning for my health and re-enter the real world. I weighed myself this morning: up 7 pounds since November. Not great but it's not horrible, unless I let it continue.

- Jen (I just noticed the series of posts about all the Jennifers in the thread. I'm sorry to add to the glut!)
Old 02-22-2013, 12:46 PM   #336  
Chuggin' along...

I've been busy but am holding my own here. I gave myself a little pat for getting in 3 miles of dogwalking yesterday (1 before work and 2 squished between a late workday and guitar night w friends - not that that was "mandatory" activity) rather than none at all, for my own sake and the dog's, too. I'm not quite crazy yet but am just going from one activity to the next, but with pretty OP food and some activity.

Michele, my problematic feet start hurting if I so much look at high heels, but they do make one's legs look great! Maybe some shoe inserts could help give you more support. They make ones for heels that are the right shape and have sticky stuff on the bottom. They're sold at pharmacies, big department stores like Target, etc. I also wonder about altering the black dress. Surely a $20-$30 alteration would be worth making a "new" dress that you can enjoy wearing rather than have no use for.

Allison, I hear you. When I was younger I'd have told you I was a sweets person. I still like sweets, but I love cheese and savory things much more now. I keep telling myself I need to take a little break from buying any cheese. "It's not you, it's me, cheese." When I want comfort foods in the winter I try to turn to sweet potatoes and butternut squash. At least they have redeeming qualities.

Shannon, thanks for asking. My sore throat is about the same and I'm just a little congested, so it seems like this is just a very mild cold right now. I'm hoping I've been getting enough sleep and Vitamin C to keep whatever this is at bay.

Welcome JayZeeJay! I have a lab-bulldog mix who is sweet but very energetic. I try not to talk about her too much, but she really is my fur-baby.

Last edited by Megan1982; 02-22-2013 at 01:25 PM.
Old 02-22-2013, 12:51 PM   #337  

I think I may find someone to gift the big black dress to. It only cost me about $35 when I bought it and it is way too big so I suspect alterations would cost more than that. It is handmade (I think) and there is no size inside, hence I didn't know what size it was. I was thinking my younger dd could use it but it has bare shoulders and she is so modest now she wouldn't wear a dress like that-- plus it's probably too short and she wouldn't want her knees showing either!

I'll probably get some heel inserts for the shoes before tonight. It would seem wise.
Old 02-22-2013, 05:47 PM   #338  

S/C/G: 152/???/132/33

Height: 5'4"

I think we have to rename February. Something to do with "stress" "sick of winter" "depressed" etc. Seems to be an epidemic of all of those in Maintainers right now. I myself have a combination of all 3 plus a healthy dollop of "guilt" thrown into the mix.

Dagmar of
Old 02-22-2013, 06:31 PM   #339  
Maintainer Wannabe

S/C/G: 161/143/135

Height: 5'7"

I think if we replaced the first three letters of February with a four letter word that starts with F, that would pretty much sum it up.
Old 02-22-2013, 10:32 PM   #340  
Recovering Pantry Pest

S/C/G: 174.5/162/149

Height: 5'7"

Ward, you nailed it perfectly!
Old 02-23-2013, 07:06 AM   #341  

Quote:
Originally Posted by ICUwishing View Post
Ward, you nailed it perfectly!
YEAH! Fouquary it is! (it's the french pronunciation).

Dagmar
Old 02-23-2013, 07:17 AM   #342  

S/C/G: HW:200+/LW:120/CW:142

Height: 5'1 and a 1/2" (yes the 1/2" matters!)

Well, we're ALL ready for the end of winter, huh? And here I am in the South, where it's not too bad, but I'm already counting down the days until Daylight Saving Time starts, and spring weather can begin.

Work conference today and party tonight, with all their myriad temptations. I worked out this morning and have some healthy snacks packed. I'm practicing my "No, thank you" reply and smile for when I offered/pressured to take things I'm avoiding (sugar, alcohol, and wheat). I'm doing TONS of positive self-talk and affirmations this morning, people!

Have a great Saturday, all!
Old 02-23-2013, 10:16 AM   #343  
Senior Curmudgeon

S/C/G: 162/134/125

Height: 5'2"

Fitting right in to February mode, I'm cold (seemingly all the time) and having Reynaud's means that my fingers and (especially) my toes get not only numb with cold, but very painful/throbbing as they try to get circulation back. Since this has been going on since December, I can't really blame it on February, but it sure is getting old.

I too would like to discuss Brain Over Binge, having read it during cardio stints over the last week (I downloaded it to Kindle). As a neuroscientist, I can state that her explanation is completely accurate (except that she relegates the instinctual, hard-wired, conditioned response of binging to "other"-ness, when in fact that part of the brain is just as intrinsically a part of what makes you you as the "higher brain" that she embraces as being her "true self"). For me, what makes her system difficult to apply is that I rarely have the kind of mindless super-binge that she reports, and much more often have just gluttony - not stopping at firsts but taking seconds, or eating multiple handfuls of something I shouldn't. It's hard to say that the first handful of nuts was justified because I was actually hungry and the true me was doing the talking, but the urge for this next handful needs to be ignored and dissociated because suddenly, it's actually my "lower brain" that's doing the driving. Anyway, for those who haven't yet finished the book, I can wait to discuss it when you all are done. Perhaps even in its own thread?

Shannon, we had problems with meds wearing off in the evenings (and nasty rebound hyperactivity/irritability) until our Psych. added Intuniv, which is very long lasting (24hr) and took the edge off that wearing off effect.

Persistently 2 pounds over redline here, and not feeling any motivation whatsoever to do the calorie reduction it would take to get back under. But reddline means "instantly spring into action and do whatever it takes" so from one day to the next, I make half-hearted attempts, then berate myself when I hit 1700 calories by day's end. I DID manage to avoid the dessert table x 2 yesterday (kid's spaghetti dinner fundraiser followed by post-Shabbat services Oneg), which I suppose means I ended the day at 1700 instead of 2500.

Last edited by neurodoc; 02-23-2013 at 03:02 PM.
Old 02-23-2013, 12:05 PM   #344  

Happy Purim Andrea! And kudos for passing up the dessert table.

I had my dinner auction last night for my school. The venue was beautiful. It was so much nicer than last year. It was held at an automotive museum that has beautiful classic cars that you can walk around and see. Dinner wasn't until after 7:30 (very late for me) so I did eat a few of the appetizers that were being walked around-- a couple of stuffed mushrooms and a crostini. I didn't have any alcohol (I don't drink so I always count that as a win). Dinner was not the healthiest--- a stuffed chicken breast, a salad, and some veggies. I didn't eat the mashed potatoes but I did have a small piece of bread and the dessert (a small chocolate mousse). Not surprisingly, my weight is up a pound today. I also have a headache and don't feel great so I'm hoping that wears off. Dh was very tired and jetlagged so we left right after the auction-- didn't stay for the live band/dancing. Going to try to stay focused this weekend as I'm still a hair under my redline and I'd like to still be able to say that come Monday.
Old 02-23-2013, 02:34 PM   #345  

Quote:
Originally Posted by neurodoc View Post
I too would like to discuss Brain Over Binge, having read it during cardio stints over the last week (I downloaded it to Kindle). As a neuroscientist, I can state that her explanation is completely accurate (except that she relegates the instinctual, hard-wired, conditioned response of binging to "other"-ness, when in fact that part of the brain is just as intrinsically a part of what makes you you as the "higher brain" that she embraces as being her "true self"). For me, what makes her system difficult to apply is that I rarely have the kind of mindless super-binge that she reports, and much more often have just gluttony - not stopping at firsts but taking seconds, or eating multiple handfuls of something I shouldn't. It's hard to say that the first handful of nuts was justified because it was actually hungry and the true me doing the talking, but the urge for this next handful needs to be ignored and dissociated because suddenly, it's actually my "lower brain" that's doing the driving. Anyway, for those who haven't yet finished the book, I can wait to discuss it when you all are done. Perhaps even in its own thread?
I was all ready to read the book until I saw this Andrea. You mention she uses "other-ness" and "true-self" and I immediately think "new age space cadet". I used to read a lot of health magazines and the new age stuff found in them was quite unbelievable and without factual basis. I could be totally wrong about this person but now I'm hesitant to get the book.

Dagmar
Closed Thread